It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monitor alien life from home

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:20 AM
link   
Hi guys n girls. Need some help apart from SETI is there anything else you could do to monitor for alien life forms ? Would a good short wave radio set up help or radio frqs to moniter ?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Plenty of HAM folk around I know that, not sure they'll get the thread title however.

I know little, short of having a uhf cb yonks ago (over 30 years) and remembering ssb and usb, before usb meant where I dun plug me wotsit webcammy thingo inta..

Haha miss hearing cylons in the distance.

but yeah, ham is still there. see if anyone calls in.

edit on 7-10-2012 by winofiend because: the road to L is pathed with good exceptions..

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by rikgrimsby

Yes it would seem there is , in This Thread started today by Kandinsky comes news that scientists are starting a search for possible infrared signatures given off by Dyson Spheres created by technologically advanced ET civilizations , very interesting read

Granted its not something we can do ourselves but it is an interesting prospect .

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I suppose you could set up some cctv on your house. Point it up to the sky at night. It would be a painstaking task of going through all the tape though. Unless you could set it up as a webcam and advertise other people to check it out now and then and report with anything out of the ordinary.
Just a quick thought...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I was thinking of getting a sort wave radio ect.. And trying to give it ago myself plus maybe a scanner to listen to the raf ect...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:53 AM
link   

You would need a serious aerial and a way of filtering out terrestrial interference to give you any chance of picking up anything from out there , just look at the equipment that SETI uses , then how would you know what is a signal and what is background noise .
If you want to get involved with SETI you could help out with the SETI@home project .

edit on 7-10-2012 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Didn't Tesla claim to be in contact with Aliens, we hear plenty about his other work, but not a lot about that side of things. Given how far ahead of everyone else he was in other fields I suspect there is more to be found about on this side of things too.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:32 AM
link   
The best advice I can give would be build your own deprivation/isolation tank. www.abovetopsecret.com...

Watch SOHO's website too, plenty of ships flying into and out of our Sun.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Well, Paul. Benniwtz did it. Look how well it worked out for him. Thanks, but no thanks...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I think Zooniverse have a home project to find planets around stars.
edit on 7/10/12 by EnigmaAgent because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:59 AM
link   
My grandfather used to tell me stories from his Haley's comet radio days. He talked about emitters and screens, my grand mother called them something else. To this day I've enver completely correlated them.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnigmaAgent
I think Zooniverse have a home project to find planets around stars.
edit on 7/10/12 by EnigmaAgent because: (no reason given)

Yeah you're right. I'd forgotten about that.

Here is a link if anyone is interested.

edit on 7-10-2012 by SilentE because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Seen this and the price is pretty cheap might treat my self www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349623666&sr=8-1

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   

I don't understand what it is you expect you will hear , are you looking at listening for communication from Alien Planets or UFOs and how would you know that what you are listening too is from them .
If its a signal from an Alien Planet you are looking for this is the best result that SETI has achieved with their multimillion dollar equipment and even this may have a Terrestrial origin .

Here's the now famous WOW signal

edit on 7-10-2012 by gortex because: Edit to add

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
If you want to help, I would recommend joining and using SETI Live.
When the ATA radio telescope is active live data is streamed as waterfalls to the site so you can look for and identify anomalous signals.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SilentE
I suppose you could set up some cctv on your house. Point it up to the sky at night. It would be a painstaking task of going through all the tape though. Unless you could set it up as a webcam and advertise other people to check it out now and then and report with anything out of the ordinary.
Just a quick thought...

I'm working on camera-control software for a two-camera setup that automatically detects anything large that hovers, adjusts the aim of the two cameras if necessary, zooms them, then starts recording, adding a data stamp at the bottom of each frame. And it's dedicated for a certain computer-controllable motorized pan/tilt/zoom camera that it now plentiful for less than $50 used but was the latest and greatest (and expensive) when first introduced and is perfect for this application. But the system is really meant for people who live close to UFO hotspots and also requires a big-enough back yard to set the cameras at least 20 meters apart.

I have a demo ready that doesn't have the control subroutines linked in. It has two demo modes so people can see how fast it is. It takes about a second to spring the trap, because that's how long it takes to physically zoom the cameras. But there's not much to see. You press a key and the demo generates a target and immediately zooms in on it, displaying any pan & tilt data at the bottom, as well as the sky scene with the target in the viewport. Another key breaks it down in to steps, but as a video game it's a yawner, since the system's job is to wait until something shows then capture it before it gets away.

Here's the download link for anybody who wants to play with the demo:

Download link

I haven't bought the cameras yet to test the regular version. And anyone who sets this up and captures something should request the local FAA and weather radar data under the FOIA to corroborate the video obtained. Also, there is some hoaxproofing built into the software able to expose anyone who tries to present fake video as having been captured with this system.

edit on 7-10-2012 by xpoq47 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by rikgrimsby
Seen this and the price is pretty cheap might treat my self www.amazon.co.uk...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1349623666&sr=8-1

The most useful thing you can expect from that set-up is best left from the product descriptions homepage:

...Also fitted with a handy dual alarm clock function, and a massive custom 1000 memory channels for storing all of your favourite stations.

Don't get me wrong, it sounds fun and all, but I don't think it will help you prove or contact alien civilizations. Listen to Gortex, he'll put you on the right track.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 11:42 PM
link   
Your best bet: Buy this cinetheodolite, available right now on eBay!

I tried to encourage some fellow ATSers to pitch in and buy one a few years ago - but the serious coinage needed just couldn't come together.

But if you got the means (deep pockets) you may want to give it another shot. You can count me in for grand or so if you're interested in a group project You can host the beast at your house, though...

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 01:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Outrageo

Yeah, but the software I mentioned above turns two $50 Sony EVI-D30s into cinetheodolites with fully automatic detection, tracking, zooming, and 3D photo capture, because the software does most of the work and puts a data stamp below each frame (theodolite data plus time, date, frame number, and zoom factor), as well as embedding encrypted hoaxproofing code in each frame. Cinetheodolites were the inspiration for this sytem.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 09:58 AM
link   
reply to post by xpoq47

Ok, cool. When you have the system up and operational - post your results here and maybe some of us can duplicate the system and form a network of sorts to collaborate and share findings.

Good luck.

new topics

top topics

join