It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Government, MILF agree on peace pact

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:38 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:51 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:05 AM
link   
ATTENTION

Can we please stay on topic.

Do not confuse one thing with another.
This is very important news to many people as many have died over this issue over many years.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:26 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Can you imagine the suprised look on a detachment of US Marine Peacekeepers when they arrive to monitor the treaty efforts of the MILFS?

OP, when you hand ATS a piece of warm applepie with ice cream on top... don't be suprised when we eat it up.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:02 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

sadly not KNOWING about the other connotation of MILF, didn't help, is it from Europe? i KNOW i had never heard the term before in North America.

but silly acronyms aside this should be great news as if it can happen in one area it SHOULD be able to happen in another. i think a family friend killed by the MILF would be happy that it may be time for peace, even though he is no longer with us. MILF did horrid things but if we can finally have peace maybe his death was not in vane. and just maybe the survivor can find some peace after the trauma that they went through being held prisoner by the MILF, and killing her spouse. for me anyway this story has it's personal side. some of the best news i have heard in a long time.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:42 AM
link   
I'd like to share a few links with everyone who may/may not be confusing the MILF with something else.
This is information for you all as to just how bad, and good, this struggle has been. not just for the Philippine people but for American, English, Australian citizens and of other nations too.

400 children 'taken hostage' by rebels
16 Civilians Killed, 150 Others Taken Hostage by Suspected MILF Rebels
Filipino Muslims Help Rescue Aussie Hostage
American citizen was taken hostage
Irish priest, 78, taken hostage 'by Muslim gunmen'
Abducted Italian in hands of MILF relatives: Philippine military

So from this lot you can clearly see just how bad and deadly this has been. Although the MILF have actually helped in certain situations as their struggle has been a seperate issue from some events. Peace now is a massive step forwards in the right direction for everyone. I'm sure they will help with any other groups that have a habbit of taking overseas citizens hostage.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Hmm
if I'm not mistaken, MILF have autonomous authority over mindanao already, there shouldnt be any news about them. Am I missing something ? News is old ?

They have settled down years ago if I'm not mistaken, if theres news at all from the region it is from the pirates.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

edit on 10/7/2012 by jiggerj because: you guys are no fun.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by NullVoid
Hmm
if I'm not mistaken, MILF have autonomous authority over mindanao already, there shouldnt be any news about them. Am I missing something ? News is old ?

They have settled down years ago if I'm not mistaken, if theres news at all from the region it is from the pirates.

If you read the reports for this latest deal, that autonomous region has been called a "failed experiment" by the President and broke down ages ago, as had subsequent peace talks. These are hailed as different though as the Government has gone in without any pre-conceived prejudices and the MILF dropped their independence demands.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
it seems the last attempt didn't work out as well as hoped. but this one looks promising.

newsinfo.inquirer.net...

The new breakthrough in the Mindanao peace process comes after 13 exploratory meetings in 21 months under the Aquino administration. It is the 32nd round under the facilitation of Malaysia beginning in 2003. It also comes more than four years after the failed signing of the landmark but controversial Memorandum of Agreement on Ancestral Domain that sparked a year-long war in Central Mindanao.

it seems not all parties are satisfied but at least it sounds like they will at least see how it turns out. so still a big step in the right direction.

But the Bangsamoro Islamic Liberation Fighters, a breakaway group of the MILF, earlier said it would continue fighting for its original demand– the setting up of a separate state. Abu Misri, BIFF spokesperson, in an earlier interview said his group would “continue the struggle for Bangsamoro freedom of the late MILF chair Hashim Salamat.” “We are applying a wait-and-see stance,” said Abu Misri Mama, speaking for the BIFF, a breakaway of the MILF.

it seems one of the main sticking points is that they really want to separate. but the Philippine government is saying that they will support a law that will embody what the people want. so that may help ease that particular demand.

“The Constitution and lawful processes shall govern the transition to the Bangsamoro, and this agreement will ensure that the Philippines remains one nation and one people, with all of our diverse cultures and narratives seeking the common goal,” the President said. He added that his administration “has pledged to supporting a law that will truly embody the values and aspirations of the people of Bangsamoro. “

i just hope everything works out between the two sides. it will likely have a lot to be worked out but if nothing else it seems a good start for the peace process.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:36 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:08 PM
link   
with milf in the title i am not surprised there are so many of topic remarks..
on topic now im really glad milf called for calm in the Philippians

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:54 PM
link   
The immaturity in this thread is palpable, but what do you expect when everyone's mind sniffs a gutter and makes a beeline for it? I suppose OP found a loophole in the contract.

Anyway, anything that is intended to bring more peace and less death or destruction is fine with me. No matter what they decide to name themselves, if they are promoting kindness over "kill everyone we don't like", I'm all for it.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Lol, MILF...
I just love how censored both these pages are though, like 75% of the replies are all censored. Anyone new to ATS is probably scratching their head right now.

On a serious note though, peace is good.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:57 PM
link   

STAFF NOTE!

Staff having humor or not has nothing to do with the fact that off topic or violation posts will be removed. A serious thread, involving issues that are very serious to many members here is not a playground. If you feel compelled to make a joke of it, start a thread called "Political organizations with funny names" or something like that. But DO NOT continue to derail this thread please.

If you made a serious thread and found it totally derailed because of an accident of language, how would you feel?

This is the FINAL staff notice that's going to happen in this thread. Any further shenanigans will result in post removal and loss of posting privileges.

Thank you.

Hefficide
ATS Moderator

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join