It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Einstein letter, set for auction, shows scientist challenging idea of God, being 'chosen'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:41 PM
link   
Einstein letter, set for auction, shows scientist challenging idea of God, being 'chosen'

Decades before atheist scientist and author Richard Dawkins called God a "delusion," one world-renowned physicist - Albert Einstein - was weighing in on faith matters with his own strong words. “The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honorable, but still primitive legends,” Einstein wrote in German in a 1954 letter that will be auctioned on eBay later this month. "No interpretation no matter how subtle can (for me) change this.” Dubbed Einstein’s “God Letter” by the Los Angeles-based auction agency that's posting it online, the original document will be up for grabs starting Monday. The opening bid: $3 million.

3 mill for the opening bid? I think that's just a little bit steep. But who knows someone may cough up the big bucks.

This will make some people real happy.

For me the Jewish religion like all other religions is an incarnation of the most childish superstitions. And the Jewish people to whom I gladly belong and with whose mentality I have a deep affinity have no different quality for me than all other people. As far as my experience goes, they are also no better than other human groups … I cannot see anything ‘chosen’ about them.

How long will it take before someone labels him a self hating Jew?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
i didnt know he was jewish
isnt it that jews dont have a heaven or a hell......or even an afterlife...??

probably makes sense why he needs to ask that question.

he does seem occultic

peace
edit on 6-10-2012 by thePharaoh because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   
I am jubilant to know that I am more intelligent and enlightened than the great Einstein and Dawkins. It was their idea of God that was 'childish and superstitious'.
The image above does damage to ones intellect. This is not the God of the Christians tho many Christians and Atheists believe this is the God.

I wish I could of told Einsteing that God is the perfect infinite math that evolves and exists and creates everything from the smallest atom to the whole universe. The "Will of God" is not a personal thing but the invisible, infintie program that encodes all life and gives it a mission as the billions of different organisms and mechanisms that exist within you are driven by something you have no control over that keeps you alive.

"Where there are [three], they are without God, and where there is but [a single one], I say that I am with [him]. Lift up the stone, and you will find me there. Split the piece of wood, and I am there." - Jesus.

God is not some one. It is these researchers, scientists, philosophers that have a childish, moronic view of what they think what god is and their interpretation of course is rejected by most and thus the knee jerk response is to say " I don't believe in God". Of course, who would believe in such lame stupidity?

“God exists. You cannot doubt His existence, and that is one essential point. Do not seek to
go beyond it; do not lose yourselves in a labyrinth which, for you, is without an issue Such
inquiries would not make you better; they would rather tend to add to your pride, by causing
you to imagine that you knew something, while, in reality, you would know nothing. Put
aside systems. You have things enough to think about that concern you much more nearly,
beginning with yourselves. Study your own imperfections, that you may get rid of them; this
will be far more useful to you than the vain attempt to penetrate the impenetrable." www.geae.inf.br...

The inferiority of the human faculties renders it impossible for man to comprehend the essential nature of God. In the infancy of the race, man often confounds the Creator with the creature, and attributes to the former the imperfections of the latter. But, in proportion 55 his moral sense becomes developed, man's thought penetrates more deeply into the nature of things, and he is able to form to himself a juster and more rational idea of the Divine Being, although his idea of that Being must always be imperfect and incomplete.

edit on 6-10-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:00 PM
link   
If I was rich id pay up to 10mil for that!
.. and a copy of the nazi & japanese surrender letters while im at it.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:10 PM
link   
People can label him a self-hating Jew, Satan, or whatever other excuse to make themselves feel better. It won't change how he threw aside preconceived notions and called it as he saw it. Labels can be torn off as easily as they can be applied anyway.
But atheists and so on do have as childish a view of what we call God as non-atheists in most cases.

And yes, I do like the 'chosen' bit. I have a lot of respect for a person that understands the reality of equality, and is self-critical of not only his own "people" but their beliefs and so on as well. It's an important skill-set that is often overlooked... along with critical thinking skills.

reply to post by Shadow Herder

Although it's not really his fault, considering what he had to work with. That excerpt you quoted is from Thomas (my favourite 'gospel', and it's a great quote btw) which wasn't found until the 40s or something, and finer understanding and so on didn't really enter western thought until the 60s when the more sophisticated eastern philosophies began to be imported. All men like Newton and Einstein had to work with was the KJV Bible. But I do get a bit peeved when people who attack God are really just attacking the Judeo-Christian-Islamic exoteric conception of it.
edit on 6/10/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:11 AM
link   

Waiting
In the calm of desolation
Wanting to break
From this circle of confusion

Sleeping
In the depths of isolation
Trying to wake
From this daydream of illusion

It challenges the essence of my soul
Leaves me in a state of disconnection
As I navigate the maze of self control

Playing a lion being led to a cage
I turn from a thief to a beggar
From a god to God save me.

edit on 7-10-2012 by Americanist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   

“God exists. You cannot doubt His existence, and that is one essential point. Do not seek to go beyond it; do not lose yourselves in a labyrinth which, for you, is without an issue Such inquiries would not make you better; they would rather tend to add to your pride, by causing you to imagine that you knew something, while, in reality, you would know nothing. Put aside systems. You have things enough to think about that concern you much more nearly, beginning with yourselves. Study your own imperfections, that you may get rid of them; this will be far more useful to you than the vain attempt to penetrate the impenetrable."

Prove God exists. Till then he's just as real as fairies and leprechauns.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Einstein made a lot of different comments about his take on religion. It depended on whom he was writing to or speaking with. Google Einstein quotes and there is a lot more to the subject then any one quote of pro or con. Here's one with his nurse before his death.

EINSTEIN: You believe? In God?

NURSE: Yes. Yes I do. Do you? Believe?

EINSTEIN: Do I believe there is someone who plans the daily life of Albert Einstein? No. Although sometimes I think he may have been leading me up the garden path.

NURSE: But didn't he make the garden?

EINSTEIN: I think he is the garden.

NURSE: And isn't he the gardener too?

EINSTEIN: Yes, and all my life I have been trying to catch him at his work.

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
The image above does damage to ones intellect. This is not the God of the Christians tho many Christians and Atheists believe this is the God.

Is, Is that Kenny Rogers?
Kenny Rogers is god?

The part about being 'chosen'.
Being chosen by god and having your enemies believe that can have certain advantages, the enemy feels inferior, chosen people feel justified in what they do, they feel entitled, righteous in coveting.

Most of us are not chosen, deal with it.

edit on 7-10-2012 by Toadmund because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010

“God exists. You cannot doubt His existence, and that is one essential point. Do not seek to go beyond it; do not lose yourselves in a labyrinth which, for you, is without an issue Such inquiries would not make you better; they would rather tend to add to your pride, by causing you to imagine that you knew something, while, in reality, you would know nothing. Put aside systems. You have things enough to think about that concern you much more nearly, beginning with yourselves. Study your own imperfections, that you may get rid of them; this will be far more useful to you than the vain attempt to penetrate the impenetrable."

Prove God exists. Till then he's just as real as fairies and leprechauns.

I'm not here to throw stones (pun intended
) but this dude is coming across juicy information in a study. It's a link to another thread hints to what Shadow Herder is saying

Hard Evidence for Simulation Hypothesis Uncovered! COMPUTER CODE Discovered Hidden in Superstring Eq. Now that's deep.

new topics

top topics

join