It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is teaching humans to be good people evil?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:45 PM
link   
Is teaching humans to be good people evil? When we are brought up most people are taught what is right and wrong and shown examples of who is acting evil and who is acting good. Classic stereotypes taught are a criminal and the opposite end humanitarian figures like social workers. These are just a couple of random examples and certainly not limited to them.

Then as we grow up we find out about the real world and interact with real people. We soon see examples of both good and evil people within our learned system we are brought up with. We also notice alot of bad evil types tend to rise high in society. They seem to be the backstabbing types, the ones we think mught push their own mothers under a bus if they thought they could profit from it (extreme example).

So back to the opening line is teaching people to be good actually evil. If people are going to fight evil effectively then should they fight fire with fire. If the tactic of fire with fire is superior then isnt it evil not to teach them evil. Then at least the person is on a level playing ground in life. Whats your thoughts?

edit on 6-10-2012 by AthlonSavage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:04 PM
link   
Personally, I think being a good person in terms of the commonly accepted meaning is absurd. I am really only worried about myself, my wife, and my pets and to be honest I have only one or two friends. I think teaching people to be the antithesis of a petty criminal is a good thing, but manipulation skills and conniving must be taught as truly the higher echelon of people are in fact that way.

So yes, I do think it is evil to teach people to be good because you are only providing them with false hope that the nice guy finishes first when in reality he finishes last.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

Boy oh boy.....so here we are.

Is it bad to be good?

Really? This is it folks the way of thinking has sunk to an all time historic low.

How can "teaching" a child to cheat and steal be a good thing? Is it going to help a damn thing?

Don't argue your stupid #ing ideas by saying you used different words. I know you used different words but they have very similar meanings.

No! You are so wrong it's absurd.

Teach your children some basic manners and the world may be a better place.

edit on 6-10-2012 by cavalryscout because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Teaching people to be anything they not are is evil. I agree with you. Being dogmatic or a moralist is a want for power. Tyrannizing over others for the sake of justifying one's own morals is indeed evil.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:23 PM
link   
reply to post by cavalryscout

Whats your thoughts?

The moral crusader always has venom in his tongue

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

First and foremost my good sir, I do not nor ever plan on having children. I choose to govern my life in the ways I see fit, and so far I have been successful. There are some people out there who will ultimately try to make a case that you should try to be nice to everyone and love your neighbor and this and that.

Face it, people for the most part suck and suck horribly. Everyone has quirks and peculiarities that will render others to dislike them and good is subjective anyway so relax.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by AthlonSavage
Is teaching humans to be good people evil?

Your post aknowledges good and evil, and the fact that there is a difference between the two answers the question you pose. It is about standing for something and you can't stand for both

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:37 PM
link   

Whats your thoughts?

The more we try to force people into something and even censor them, the more they are going to want to try and do that which you are trying to stop them from doing.
edit on 6/10/12 by AdamsMurmur because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
reply to post by onthedownlow

Your post aknowledges good and evil, and the fact that there is a difference between the two answers the question you pose. It is about standing for something and you can't stand for both

Possibly there is an alternative of stand on the ourside. The art of dilineation of evil and good. There are always alternatives

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:48 PM
link   

reply to post by onthedownlow

Possibly there is an alternative of stand on the ourside. The art of dilineation of evil and good. There are always alternatives

The act of doing that which is just could be one deliniation. Injustice does not begin to build the comprise of justice. Alternatives yes, but the alternatives can not bear countenance if they are all encompasing.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:53 PM
link   

Whats your thoughts?

What the # is that supposed to mean?

Are you making fun of the way I talk. Isn't that watcha callit deskriminaztion or sumthin' ?

Hey do you understand the words 'kiss my ass'? It's just a question I'm not saying nuthing bad.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Hey do you understand the words 'kiss my ass'?

No i dont can you explain it for all of us do share.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Okay but don't forget you asked.....

First: You pucker up nice and pretty as you can.
Second: I lower my pants, (don't get too excited slugger).
Third: You give my bum a nice jucy kiss.

Now do you understand?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by cavalryscout

Okay but don't forget you asked.....

First: You pucker up nice and pretty as you can.
Second: I lower my pants, (don't get too excited slugger).
Third: You give my bum a nice jucy kiss.

Now do you understand?

You see theres one problem with this scenario you described, i dont kiss Dumb Assesses

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:12 PM
link   
Interesting observation, there are a couple posters that dont seem like nice people and their posts reflect that.

I am all for nice people. If you were in a 10x10 foot room with me you would pray that I was a nice guy too!.

edit on 6-10-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:17 PM
link   

at the end of the day we only taught ourself

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   
reply to post by cittadellapieve

hmmmm.......

what the hell is that supposed to mean?

(I'm joking.)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 05:44 AM
link   
reply to post by AdamsMurmur

It depends on what it is but overall,that mindset of doing what you shouldn't do,when people tell you not to,is a childlike one.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   
There's some problems with that. Like that different cultures have different systems of morals and ethics- good and bad are not the same thing for everyone! Like in one country, killing even a bug is bad, and in other killing a human is okay if it is a member of another tribe or religion.

Or like the example in this thread-

Originally posted by cavalryscout

Teach your children some basic manners and the world may be a better place.

His idea of basic manners is to start off a conversation using insults and cursing, and sayings such as "Kiss My Ass". In some other places, that is considered very bad manners and not only wouldn't be taught to children, but would be possibly even hidden from their sight and ears!

I do think it is useful for children to learn what the ethic and moral systems of their particular culture is, because those will be useful tools in communication and exchange within their society.

It is useful also to teach them that those systems are relative- so that if they ever travel or deal with foriegners, not too much culture shock and conflict happens to them.

But I do not agree that the "bad" people necessarily are the successful ones in life.

There are, however, some systems of ethics which promote people to a "slave mentality" and can contribute to influencing them to be self sacrificial, masochistic, and self destructive, as part of being a "good" person.
For some other systems, that is seen as evil (to make another be that way). So I'd say, your comment does have a context in which it could be said to be true.
edit on 10-10-2012 by Bluesma because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join