It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aboriginal Petroglyphs Destroyed By Vandals Armed With Acid and a Drill

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:27 AM
link   
i really don't know what to think on this. it COULD be that it was done to claim that something was there that wasn't. but if it WAS DESTROYED by someone else that would possibly point to the fact that it didn't match with someone's theory and so had to be destroyed as it would discredit their work. so which is right.
if it is EITHER of the two then it is a case of what appears to me to be an epidemic of bad science. something doesn't match what you want loose it, or destroy it, or call it a fake. forget about adjusting your conclusion taking new facts into account. it seems especially in archaeology that first you come up with a conclusion then MAKE DAMN SURE any evidence that may points away from your conclusion never sees the light of day. even if it means discrediting other archaeologists or destroying irreplaceable objects after all your LIVELIHOOD depends on you being right. :shk:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Probably some religotards that don't want anything older than 6 thousand years laying around to discredit their creation myths.

IRM

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamschist
reply to post by SLAYER69

Did I say it was ok??? No, I said respect. If the Egyptians want to dismantle the pyramids I cannot stop them. They built them and they are in Egypt, so yes they can destroy them and I have to respect that. I would not like it, I would argue against it, but ultimately I have no say in the matter.

No. Modern day egyptians did not build the pyramids and have no right in dismantling their ancestors' creations which enrich ALL of humanity. Imagine a random bunch of white americans go to Mt. Rushmore and decide in blowing the faces off with dynamite. Would that be ok with you?

You think ALL egyptians would agree in destroying the pyramids?

Did ALL indians agree to destroy these paintings?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Snoopy1978

Why does everyone insist on saying that I am advocating any of this, and that it is ok with me??? If a bunch of Americans set about to destroy Mt Rushmore, how am I to stop them?

Will life as we know it cease to exist if there is no more Rushmore or Pyramids or petroglyphs? These are objects. They do not contain my identity or yours. To be so attached is silly.

I am glad these objects exist, I agree that they add to our sense of wonder and mystery, I would be sad if they were destroyed. That still gives me no power or rights over what happens to them.
edit on 7-10-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:03 AM
link   
So you discover petroglyphs that no-one knew existed. Even though the location is not in any way remote, in fact it's in the middle of a field). But unfortunately you don't have a camera or mobile phone with you at the time. So you go back with a camera (how long later?) and just coincidentally someone came along the night before and removed them .....

I'm curious as to how he found them in the first place?

Edit: why would lichen 'start to come off after the summer'? I've never heard of that happening anywhere. And why in the photo is there no sign that there was ever lichen on that particular piece of rock?
edit on 7-10-2012 by AndyMayhew because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

reply to post by SLAYER69

Nothing belongs to humanity. Nothing is permanent. The 7 wonders, gone. What gives 'humanity' any rights over something? These things do not belong to humanity, who is humanity anyway? The persons who destroyed this work of ancient writing are humanity, yes?

Native Americans have the right to do whatever they want with what is sacred or important to them, if they do not wish these things to be exposed to scrutiny, that is their business, It is no different than the Smithsonian Bones argument. I think humanity lost that one too.

I'm with you if it was vandals or some red neck with a six pack.

I disagree. A contemporary native American has no more right to dispose of a thousand year old artifact than I do.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Indeed
I'm a Briton. Does that give me a right to destroy early Saxon archaeology? Of course not.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

This is why it's important to always carry a cellphone or device with photographic capabilities. Maybe he could draw it from memory. What about asking the aborigines to show him another example of the writing. there must be some other existing evidence of it somewhere? hopefully.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Sounds like he got caught in a scam to me. No pictures come on gotta do better than that

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
I have to agree.
After researching it a bit,most of the topics dealing with rock or boulder climbing,there is no mention or one photograph of any petroglyphs.
Nothing.

If I was to climb that boulder and discover some drawings I would have mentioned it in a blog or comment.
And take pictures.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   

reply to post by Snoopy1978

Will life as we know it cease to exist if there is no more Rushmore or Pyramids or petroglyphs?

Maybe for the pyramids. There's only one way to find out.
edit on 7-10-2012 by TheLegend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:36 PM
link   
“It seems a little coincidental that the night before I was planning to go in with a high definition camera to record the markings, someone in a truck brings in a generator or compressor, a large hammer drill, maybe lights and a ladder and decimates the very thing I was hoping to preserve,” Knowlton said

1. that does seem odd, i know ancient pictographs are wicked hot topics(sarc) really IM pretty sure only a hand full of people would know who what when where he was going to take a pic of this.

2 in this day and age he didn't at least take even a phone camera photo of this ground breaking earth shattering link that totally proves his theory, come on now hah. (hrm just taking a walk along this big field oh wow gee look at that one 3x4 foot area that completely fits my theory, IM going to be famous!, remind self to come back and take pics) haha!.

3 ancient worship site, and this is the only spot out of all the rocks with any kind of rock/wall art, hrm must have been a really really small god,you know gotta save that red ochre for the other big rocks why waste it on that god, lol.

4 none of the locals over the years have seen/talked/taken picture/copied for art class ect?

i don't know its either a giant conspiracy, could have been fake done by locals/owners of land over time for camp fire stories and was destroyed before someone found out, was complete BS to begin with and great cover story as to why you don't have evidence supporting theory, (and wasting grant money cough cough) or slim possible chance maybe real tribe type people destroyed it, but i find that odd as most societies no matter how primitive seem to find a way to carry traditions and customs through word of mouth , writing, pictograms, clay tablets, ect. hence why they were written on rock in first place.

i don't know if he had a grant just saying haha, some of the stories i would hear from professors as to how they got grant money ,how they used it, and the crap stories they would come up with to get it lol seriously made me think about teaching lol. personally, i don't believe in coincidences especially since really i cant see more than 5-15 people knowing times, place, which rock, ect to go destroy just before he takes HIGH RESOLUTION pics, like that would freakin matter, i could care less if its in black and white, 3-d , linked right to my brain over a satellite, or re-drawn in crayon, just get a damn pic! haha

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Let me get this straight.

The thing is there for god knows how long and nobody ever took a photo of the darn thing? It doesn't need to be HD, any photo where you can see the petroglyphs would do. Even a 640x480 cheap JPG compressed image would suffice to prove that these in fact existed once upon a time.

Honestly, I doubt that there would be no record of this already somewhere if it was known for more than a few months. I really find this hard to believe.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Really I just dont understand people sometimes. This is part of our shared heritage. Its sad to see things like this lost...

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
In Montana, near to where I grew up in the mountains, there were a series of caves high up hidden in a draw off the main canyon. It was a pretty remote place, but still most of the locals knew of the caves. As a kid of about 9 or 10, when I first went there, I saw some petroglyphs, became fascinated and wanted to know more. It was a half day ride, then about a two hour climb to the caves. There were tar beds in the back that were fashioned into flat spots from a natural tar seep as well as a very small trickle of water into the main cave. What I discovered was that Steve, one of the older kids from the ranch, who had grow up there in the 40's, had made them when he was young...he ended up becoming a successful western artist.

So much for my days as a young archeologist.

Steve got a kick out of his trick for the rest of his life.
edit on 8-10-2012 by Idahomie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:16 PM
link   

wow ..

that sad

Reminds me

of what religious Zelots has done with the Lirbary of Alexandria

just imagine what we would know

from those Ancient Scrolls and art work

as the claimed surviving Piri Reis Map is claimed to be from partail Maps from the Library of Alexandria

as Piri Reis Claims Himself that where some of the Maps came from

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by Iamschist

Really?

So, by that logic let's let the Egyptians dismantle the Pyramids.
I mean, the Egyptian themselves are doing it so I guess that would make it ok...

The Muslim Brotherhood has threatened to just that...

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Well that sucks.

I mean really.

WTH?

It's hard enough to find these sites but then to have someone with mental issues or worse to simply obliterate them so the rest of humidity is robbed is just wrong.

They [Whomever they are] deserve a good swift kick in the NARDS

humidity made me laugh so hard. I think your subconscious is saying "This humidity is killing me! I need aircon!"

But totally agree with your post. It's definately wrong.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   
I'm leaning toward the fraud side like many others. Why would he lie? Maybe he had a grant or some financial backing and needed proof of his work to keep the money coming. Rather than telling his backers that he hadn't found anything, he created this elaborate lie, in hopes to keep the cash coming for his next "project." Just my thoughts.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join