It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aboriginal Petroglyphs Destroyed By Vandals Armed With Acid and a Drill

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Just before a historian was to go photograph a boulder with petroglyphs with HD equipment,"vandals"destroyed them.

My question is,why?
Was there a message in there that someone was afraid that would get out?

“It seems a little coincidental that the night before I was planning to go in with a high definition camera to record the markings, someone in a truck brings in a generator or compressor, a large hammer drill, maybe lights and a ladder and decimates the very thing I was hoping to preserve,” Knowlton said a report, titled “Desecration of Glenwood Erratic,” which the Pincher Creek Voice published with its story.

“I suspect the link to this destruction is to nullify my long held claim that the Blackfoot had a written language before missionaries arrived, which could force archeologists to rewrite history,” Knowlton wrote in his report. The writings on the erratic—a rock that differs in size and shape from the rock surrounding it, having been transported from its place of origin by glacial action—were highlighted and preserved using red ochre. “Blackfoot/Cree Blackfoot is the older version of syllabic writing,” he told the Pincher Creek Voice. “This glacial erratic was dropped here about 10,000 years ago. It’s hard to date the writings. It would have been possible to carbon date the oils in the red ochre.” With the ochre washed away, Knowlton may not be able to date it at all.

indiancountrytodaymedianetwork.com...

Some cover up?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:49 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

Well that sucks.

I mean really.

WTH?

It's hard enough to find these sites but then to have someone with mental issues or worse to simply obliterate them so the rest of humidity is robbed is just wrong.

They [Whomever they are] deserve a good swift kick in the NARDS
edit on 6-10-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:50 PM
link   
My first response is horror, but I am only looking at it from a white preservationist perspective. If the Indians themselves destroyed it for reasons of their own, then I have to respect that. If someone else did it, they should be ashamed.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
I wonder if he copied them to a notebook. Screw pics. Drawings or it didn't happen!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Iamschist

Really?

So, by that logic let's let the Egyptians dismantle the Pyramids.
I mean, the Egyptian themselves are doing it so I guess that would make it ok...

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by superman2012
I wonder if he copied them to a notebook. Screw pics. Drawings or it didn't happen!

I have been trying to see if there were at all any recordings of these artifacts,so far I haven't found anything.

Someone knows something and they don't want it to be discovered.
I wonder how many more of this has happened.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Well that sucks.

I mean really.

WTH?

It's hard enough to find these sites but then to have someone with mental issues or worse to simply obliterate them so the rest of humidity is robbed is just wrong.

They [Whomever they are] deserve a good swift kick in the NARDS
edit on 6-10-2012 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

Agreed Slayer, but instead of just a kick, how about removal to prevent any passing forward of genetic material. Reminds me of what happened at Alexandria (twice at least) and to the Sth American Indians by the wonderful Spanish. Always stirs the agitation in me

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Did I say it was ok??? No, I said respect. If the Egyptians want to dismantle the pyramids I cannot stop them. They built them and they are in Egypt, so yes they can destroy them and I have to respect that. I would not like it, I would argue against it, but ultimately I have no say in the matter.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

It's all a lie my friend.

Earlier this month it was reported holes were drilled into ancient rock, defacing historic Aboriginal carvings at the Glenwood Erratic near Fort MacLeod, about 230 km south of Calgary.

Not so, according to a police release issued Friday.

“It has been deemed there has been no willful damage done to this site,” Lethbridge operation officer Insp. Joe McGeough said.

“Historical records have determined that no documentation exists to indicate any native culture pictographs or petroglyphs at this site.”

The investigation was handled by Cardston RCMP, Alberta Archeological Survey, the Royal Alberta Museum and Writing on Stone archeological department.

www.calgarysun.com...
www.lethbridgeherald.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:04 PM
link   

I highly doubt they knew who created the glyphs. I'm just curious, at what point do you think it no longer belongs to them but to humanity?

If ever at all?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:09 PM
link   
Well the vandals were probably black ops and Blackfoot also had a language, hmmmm.......you mean a past cycle of advancement existed, and it was destroyed? I already know that, but they sure destroy all evidence they can find. It was like the articles years ago of the mars rovers photographing and then destroying a fossil on a cliffside of mars, that looked like recognizable marine vegetation. That is who we allow in charge.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHawk

It's all a lie my friend.

Earlier this month it was reported holes were drilled into ancient rock, defacing historic Aboriginal carvings at the Glenwood Erratic near Fort MacLeod, about 230 km south of Calgary.

Not so, according to a police release issued Friday.

“It has been deemed there has been no willful damage done to this site,” Lethbridge operation officer Insp. Joe McGeough said.

“Historical records have determined that no documentation exists to indicate any native culture pictographs or petroglyphs at this site.”

The investigation was handled by Cardston RCMP, Alberta Archeological Survey, the Royal Alberta Museum and Writing on Stone archeological department.

www.calgarysun.com...
www.lethbridgeherald.com...

Yeah,I was just reading this and thinking to myself....

Why would a historian go to a site to record data..

And 2,why would someone be drilling in a rock out in the middle of no where?

Something doesn't sound right.

Where is the motive to make up a lie?
edit on 6-10-2012 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:13 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Nothing belongs to humanity. Nothing is permanent. The 7 wonders, gone. What gives 'humanity' any rights over something? These things do not belong to humanity, who is humanity anyway? The persons who destroyed this work of ancient writing are humanity, yes?

Native Americans have the right to do whatever they want with what is sacred or important to them, if they do not wish these things to be exposed to scrutiny, that is their business, It is no different than the Smithsonian Bones argument. I think humanity lost that one too.

I'm with you if it was vandals or some red neck with a six pack.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:19 PM
link   

No, that is not true. All works and history and truths belong to all people equally. Any copyrights, ownership of information, and patents ARE SLAVERY AND UNLAWFUL. The basic cosmic laws, that are written our hearts, the VIRTUES. It doesnt matter ifyou say, humanity, or COSMIC BEINGS, or all beings in existence in infinity, its all the same and the same rules too.

Natives aren't off the hook and are working for perfection just all of us.

Nor did they vandalize this, they would never vandalize this. Elite scumbags did.
edit on 6-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Knowlton claims to have been documenting these for a while now, yet I can't seem to find anything about it, except this one drawing where he says they petroglyphs formed a face...

I find it convenient that these petroglyphs got destroyed the night before he says he was going to take photos of them.

Convenient for him.

And why would they drill them when, as Knowlton claims: “This detergent that they used was specially formulated to obliterate the oils that are within the ochre.”?

Seems to be a bit excessive.

I think he did this himself.

Why? Maybe his claims that there were petroglyphs there were soon to be challenged and he had to make it look like someone vandalized the area to cover up his lies.

Don't you find it odd that he didn't go directly to the police? They took it upon themselves to investigate the incident after reading about it in a newspaper.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AlphaHawk

Knowlton claims to have been documenting these for a while now, yet I can't seem to find anything about it, except this one drawing where he says they petroglyphs formed a face...

I find it convenient that these petroglyphs got destroyed the night before he says he was going to take photos of them.

Convenient for him.

And why would they drill them when, as Knowlton claims: “This detergent that they used was specially formulated to obliterate the oils that are within the ochre.”?

Seems to be a bit excessive.

I think he did this himself.

Why? Maybe his claims that there were petroglyphs there were soon to be challenged and he had to make it look like someone vandalized the area to cover up his lies.

Don't you find it odd that he didn't go directly to the police? They took it upon themselves to investigate the incident after reading about it in a newspaper.

I find this whole thing strange.

What was Knowlton gain from the "vandalism" or if they were not "vandalized"?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:15 PM
link   

I think that the only thing he had to "gain" was to not get caught in a lie, if he was lying.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by superman2012

I'm 50/50 on this thing.
The thing leading me to Knowlton's side of the story is my distrust in people in authority.
But that's about it.
Why should I trust his side of the story?
It seems elaborate to do what was done to cover up a lie on a little known artifact,that is if there was one to begin with.

Just my opinion,nothing more.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:53 AM
link   
And the world is a different place because they're lost? Or a better place because they were there?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:12 AM
link   

Well if I was a detective I'd have to say there was a motive behind the vandalism.

Who the hell vandalizes a petroglyph just before some one's going to make a study of it?

It's obviously intentional. Obvious is obvious.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join