It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Antimatter Weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Hi,

First things first - I did do a search but the only thread for this topic is from 2004 (stone ages) and does not have the answers I want so starting a new one over here. Mods move to the right forum (if required)

Google does not provide all the answers and on this particular matter all that comes up in search is why it cannot be done. On the other hand my motto is- There is an answer to every problem, you just have to ask the right question.

So here it is:

How to build an antimatter weapon?
What technologies need to be in place to even start building antimatter weapon? I acknowledge that as of today there are technological limitation on how to produce and maintain anti matter so this question seek ideas on how to invent new technologies that overcome present limitations?
Destructive power of an anti matter weapon?
If the order was given today and its all hand on deck for the scientific community then how long will it take to make antimatter weapon, keeping in mind the new technologies that have to be worked on before the actual work on the weapon can start.

Even the most outlandish, out of the box suggestions, explanations, theories are welcome.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:01 PM
link   
reply to post by lordvader

Antimatter is made in very limited quantities inside of large partiicle accelerators, all that would be needed is to trap and contain it in a magnetic field in a complete vacuum, then combine it with regular matter of any type for annihilation. Matter anti matter annihilation is 99.99999999999 % efficient, which means by far more powerful than any nuclear device of any type.

Of special note is that we make and use antimatter all the time, hospitals create positrons ( anti protons) all the time in some of their imaging equipment.

Antimatter neutronium bombs would be the most powerful weapon achieveable as neutronium is the densest, therefore most energy realsed per atom of annihilation possible. The yield per gram would be equivelent to a small nuclear device of todays ability.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

Ok but how do we make anti matter in sufficient quantities and be able to contain or store it in an efficient manner? My understanding is that the storage is the bis problem and the actual production of even a gram of antimatter takes years. Particle accelerators can only produce antimatter on nano gram scale. Further if antimatter weapon is actually made then what will be delivery method?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:09 PM
link   

nukes are better for many reasons
storage of anti-matter is most dangerous

a few nukes spread out do the same thing

if its for an engine is best as its used as its made

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   

as stated already in my first response, storge would be easy enough, we just need magnetic containment, in an absolute vacuum, so that the anti matter will not interact with any matter before we desire it to.

Make a whole bunch of particle colliders 2 times the size and power of CERN, then wait until you save up a few grams, and your ready to go.

As far as delivery method goes, it is simple, just turn off the magnetic field, and watch the exciting part.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:32 PM
link   
To make an antimatter bomb, you would only need about 1 gram of the stuff to have something as powerful as a nuclear warhead. But at this point, collecting such a high amount is impossible.

By containing the gram or more of antimatter via magnetic fields, you are leaving yourself open to disaster. Any sort of disruption in your containment field and the antimatter will be able to interact with matter and explode. So, for example, if there were an electromagnetic pulse generated from the sun or other source which was able to disrupt that field, you may well be killing us all.

If you are using electromagnets and you have any sort of power failure, your containment field will also fail and the weapon will explode.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Are you guys for real?????

YOU ARE TELLING LORD VADER about anti matter weapons. You know death star and all that.

So I am not going to tell you. So nuhh.

(LOL I don't know anyway.)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Very outlandish, my kind of area.

Anti-matter tech is not as far off as we think. What it is is a super compression of protons, this was done when a proton beam was fired.

As well, what do you think is the after-effects of a beam of "Anti-matter" hits and goes nuclear? Nuclear radiation.

So, this stuff isn't as too distant in the future and one would think.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:46 PM
link   
-Delete-
edit on 8-10-2012 by rambo1112 because: Accidentally replied to the wrong thread

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

hmm sufficient quantities of positrons and other exotic materials?

saa anyone?
f.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 02:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreedomCommander
Very outlandish, my kind of area.

Anti-matter tech is not as far off as we think. What it is is a super compression of protons, this was done when a proton beam was fired.

As well, what do you think is the after-effects of a beam of "Anti-matter" hits and goes nuclear? Nuclear radiation.

So, this stuff isn't as too distant in the future and one would think.

If you believe anti-matter is condensed protons outlandish is for sure your area.

As far as actual science, Anti-matter is trapped by Earth's magnetic field and can be harvested there. Containment in Space is also advisable to prevent disasters.

bug

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Storage of antimatter "within" magnetic fields (a magneto-optical trap) is similar to insisting it is safe to store gunpowder inside thick wooden boxes within a raging fireplace! Antimatter cannot be stored in a container made of ordinary matter because antimatter reacts with any matter it touches.

Currently antimatter in the form of charged particles can be contained by a combination of electric and magnetic fields, in a device called a Penning trap. This device cannot, however, contain antimatter that consists of uncharged particles, for which atomic traps are used.

A 1Kg antimatter reaction would produce 1.8 x 10^17 Joules energy (180 petajoules) roughly 43 megatons of TNT (slightly < the yield of the 1961 27,000 Kg Tsar fusion bomb).
The energy per unit mass of antimatter detonation is about 10 orders of magnitude > chemical energies, 3 orders greater than fission (8x 10^13 J/Kg) and 2 orders > fussion (6.3x 10^14 J/Kg).
The gamma radiation from antimatter detonation can be largely absorbed and converted into heat energy; when positrons (the antiparticle of the electron, discovered 1932) are mixed with baryon electrons that annihilation gives rise to high-energy photons (gamma rays) proportional to the mass-energy equivalence equation E=mc^2.

Positrons can be produced (in large amounts) using the somewhat restricted Lawrence Livermore Lab classified-project laser mechanism.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Would an antimatter weapon be feasible? How much would R&D cost? what could contain it? How do you fire it? How do you transport it? How big is it? WHy should we build it?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:33 AM
link   
I tried to post to this thread and ATS blocked it somehow, said security error.

Please read Nostradamus' quote on Geneva and positron weapons.
Read the antimatter wiki on Air Force interest in a dark matter bomb.

Read up on Foucault's Pendulum, Angels and Demons, CERN origins, compartmentalization of US Air Force and CERN to further NAZI weaponmaking interests.

I tried to provide links but maybe GLP was the one that blocked the post.
edit on 11-10-2012 by KhufuKeplerTriangle because: (no reason given)

Also please read about GOCE satellite and gravity mapping, and read about gravity weapons.
3/11/11

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by KhufuKeplerTriangle

Also please read about GOCE satellite and gravity mapping, and read about gravity weapons.
3/11/11

Thanks for telling me about that GOCE satellite.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Their gravity mapping of the Earth shows the weakest gravity point is Indonesia. If the Ionosphere is getting thinner and thinner every day due to Solar wind then the point where the Ionosphere finally makes contact with the surface should be Indonesia.

Oh my god....I just read the GOCE satellite experienced "unusually low solar activity which led to fuel savings"..which is bull because the suns been going nuts. The reason GOCE is saving fuel is because the Ionosphere ain't where it's supposed to be. GOCE's supposed to fly low across the upper Ionosphere and use Ion propulsion to keep her from dragging down.

She ain't been getting dragged down because....holy crap. Since they haven't had to even use the Ion propulsion to maintain her low orbit they expect to run her past 2014! Wasn't even supposed to be operating by now!!

As for antimatter, whoever makes the first usable amounts owns the world. An undetectable pen size device could be used to make people disappear, they'd seize control of the planet. If one survives what is happening now with the Ionosphere.
edit on 25-10-2012 by Pervius because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:00 AM
link   
So all we have to do is get the clouds to shoot their lightning up and it will shoot it's created antimatter down. That won't be so simple, it would take something like HAARP to accomplish that.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
So all we have to do is get the clouds to shoot their lightning up and it will shoot it's created antimatter down. That won't be so simple, it would take something like HAARP to accomplish that.

If the Ionosphere gets closer to the surface of the Earth and shorts out you'd be able to collect all the antimatter you'd ever need. I think we're going to see some major nighttime storms over Indonesia soon. According to the GOCE satellite data she released.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Pervius

GOCE is a killer cool resource. I will be watching this thread, btw. I had a really really bad mental episode a year or so back about CERN and what the hell they are trying to do. (Anti matter weapons!)

GOCE showed some interesting info on Japan when it first went up. The data from before their huge quake indicated that the local gravity strength was much lower in Japan than the surrounding area. COuld that difference have triggered an earthquake?

Ionic interaction with solid material happens. Solids vibrate, too.
What happens when there is a strong disturbance, like sunstrings detaching then reforming, or X class flare hitting?
Could living in a low gravity anomaly cause a big issue?

Anyhow, back to antimatter weapons. Our own Air Force in USA is invested in that, but I don't understand how they hope to get weapons from CERN... doesn't seem right.

Come to think of it, something seems really weird and wrong about the whole setup.

However the announcement that CERN thinks it has an antimatter engine for space travel is amazing.
you know, once you find a trajectory relatively free of gravity and matter, you could go as fast as you want.

I still think we need to find a way to teleport, not subject the body to the rigors of space.
Also who wants to accidentally time travel? what could be worse than that?

new topics

top topics

join