It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars: One Way Ticket for Sale?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miri08
I don't believe I would go.

Whenever I read anything about people wanting to colonize another planet I'm always left wondering why.

Why try to colonize another planet when instead you can use the ingenuity, the resources and the time it would take to try and fix what's wrong and going wrong on the planet we already have? Then once we have this planet habitable for as long as possible (what's the projection, the next billion years? Can't remember.) Then we could consider expanding so that when this planet is ready to die we would have options as a species.

I guess I'm just wondering why not try to be able to stay where we are for as long as possible and then once that's set, diversify

I could be wrong though... it's happened before lol

Well, how do you "fix" the problem with "SLEEPING 2Inch BESIDES YOUR PEER"
Cause theres no more space...You know, UNIVERS "might" be infinite...But our
planet ISNT...mkeayy....

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

We are not even close to there not being enough "space" to fit humanity on this earth but one of things we would need to fix would be the rate at which we populate. Our resources are finite though, so another thing we would need to fix is the way we consume.

I guess my point is, if we can't learn to live on this planet, what makes us think we will be able to live any differently on another planet? Won't we eventually have the same problems on Mars that we have here on Earth? If we are parasitic here, won't we be parasitic there? Shouldn't we learn all we can here so that when the time comes that we absolutely must leave here, we will have a brighter future there?

It's just a thought exercise at this point and really just my way of thinking, I certainly don't have all of the answers

edit on 7-10-2012 by Miri08 because: ...

edit on 7-10-2012 by Miri08 because: I can not spell lol

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Only four people? Wow I hope one is a doctor and one a dentist and the other an engineer. Otherwise could be a painful and fatal trip not to mention the need to improvise in case equipment breaks down. There's only so much room for supplies and some may have expiration dates i.e. plasma and food.
edit on 7-10-2012 by dcmb1409 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

If your wife ever reads this post about her passing and you with hip
bunnies,you might get your wish.Does the show "The Honeymooners"
ring a bell?
edit on 7-10-2012 by mamabeth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:08 PM
link   

reply to post by Miccey

We are not even close to there not being enough "space" to fit humanity on this earth but one of things we would need to fix would be the rate at which we populate. Our resources are finite though, so another thing we would need to fix is the way we consume.

I guess my point is, if we can't learn to live on this planet, what makes us think we will be able to live any differently on another planet? Won't we eventually have the same problems on Mars that we have here on Earth? If we are parasitic here, won't we be parasitic there? Shouldn't we learn all we can here so that when the time comes that we absolutely must leave here, we will have a brighter future there?

It's just a thought exercise at this point and really just my way of thinking, I certainly don't have all of the answers

edit on 7-10-2012 by Miri08 because: ...

edit on 7-10-2012 by Miri08 because: I can not spell lol

Well, 7.5b ppl that maight other things than you....What better
way to fix the problem other than getting a new planet..Maybe
We can have one Atheist Planet, One Jewish planet, One "asian"
planet, One .....you get my drift...

And i actually think it might be as The Agent in "The Matrix"...
Humans are like a cancer. And maybe we NEED to spread, to
prosper and evolve..

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

You could certainly be right! Maybe it is something we need, just because I don't understand it doesn't mean it must be wrong

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by beezzer

If your wife ever reads this post about her passing and you with
hip bunnies,you might get your wish.Does the word Honeymooners
ring a bell?

I'll be too old by then to worry.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

Hmm this is most unappealing to me. After the excitement of being on Mars wears of then you are basically in a prison. You can't even choose who you live with, just other random people. What's to stop a group of lunatics going out there to just rule over everyone else? What about law and order, maintenance, healthcare etc?

What happens when you are too old to contribute to society anymore? Send out a carer to look after him or will they have to be mercy killed or left to die when nobody can look after him as they are all too busy with the many many tasks needed to survive out there?

So many issues, I would think this would maybe be for very rich people intending to go out there for a once in a lifetime trip before they die of old age or something like that.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I think people are being very negative about this, who knows what we could achieve if it happens? Nobody knows because its never been tryed before. People are judging billions of humans based on the minority of bad humans they read about, not every human is power/sex/money mad, many humans can easily operate in isolation and away from society, I bet there are millions of humans who actually prefer that. Ooooo theyl have to wear a special suit..... Well duuuh hardly a revelation in space travel/exploration

I dont care wether 'you' dont want to do it but why would you put the whole project down just based on the fact that 'you' wouldnt want to do it? I think there would be no shortage of people that would sign up for such a trip, I believe many people already have iirc.

I think it has the potential to be amazing if done properly and if people want to do it then good on them. Plus how do we know it will be a none return trip? By 2023 who knows what technology will be available? Plus if they are sending more people there every 2 years eventually one of those craft will have the ability to allow a return journey back to earth.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by PurpleChiten

As long as it involves scotch and the green babes from Star Trek, we'll be cool.

We got ya the one from Total Recall with the three boobs

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:03 PM
link   
my opinion is that the first trip should be free then with all the webcasts and whatnot, providing they live through the trip and actually make through the first few days, weeks, months, people would line up with an open check but i suspect that people will do that regardless just to get the F off this greedy, failing planet.

it's gotta start sooner or later. as for "why not the moon first" i'm sure there's many reasons but the biggest, in my opinion is that the answer to cheap energy, Helium-3, could be mined and could really help us but the old-money dudes don't want that to happen just yet. just one shuttle full of this element could sustain the u.s. for an entire year it's said. arthur c clarkes space elevator idea would be perfect for this mission.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Awesome! I live in the Netherlands, I have a chance of 1 in 17 million I will go to mars
Now i just need to get the right connections...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:11 PM
link   
doesnt make sense to me really. why not try for the moon first? setting up a facility on the moons surface to collect He-3 would be the logical first step in starting a manned mission to mars

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Makes you wonder if earth was the "old mars". If this has been done before. Like humans being sent on a One way ticket from somewhere else to colonize earth! Yes I know this theory been posted around on ats many a time. This thread just makes me think.
On topic: would I go, wouldn't mind being in one of the following waves of people. Once it's established life can exist.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:55 PM
link   

reply to post by Miccey

You could certainly be right! Maybe it is something we need, just because I don't understand it doesn't mean it must be wrong

OOOOR...

If we actually DID try to fix stuff HERE...
The natural flow would be expansion.
See, if we got rid with all the wars
and hostility, and if we became
BETTER at taking care of each
other..I think we would have
a MUCH BIGGER possibility
to WORK together.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Well I guess all those people who say "I don't want to live on this planet anymore..." will get to put up...

come to think of it...I'm sure I've said that a time or two..or five...and honestly it would be one hell of an experience...one that I would find worth of death. Not many people get to enter the realms of space, let alone outer-space, let alone another planet...even in death you would be part of a very small list of people who have experienced something that the mystifies the mind...

My wife thinks I'm crazy but I told her that I want to be shot off into space when I die...no box, no container, no ashes just my lifeless vehicle shot out as fast as possible to the nearest star...

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:32 AM
link   
The world is going to # and everyone wants to escape to Mars.

Those with blood on their hands probably already have tickets.

They are gunna trash the planet- then move to mars- and trash it.

Ill stay here thanks. Mars sounds like a lot of work and no play. thats not life.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:12 AM
link   

Maybe I would go but I dont like the suggestion of just one Gender (as on page 1). Wouldn't want to be stuck up there with a bunch of weirdos!!

I also wouldn't want any Fanatics going up there either....

Just normal people for me and yep, i'd go.

Then again maybe I wouldn't go.... would be like Slavery for sure.....
edit on 8-10-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

edit on 8-10-2012 by TruthxIsxInxThexMist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
If I was young and fit I would go.
two girls and me !

after two years you get 3 more.
and maybe even more than that.

in another ATS post a video shows a story
about a man in NASA that plans a trip to mare that can come back.
a robot ship goes first.
it makes fuel and oxygen for a return trip.

but I would stay.
you would build a new world.
go down in history to.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Maybe they want to terraform it...but what are the odds?? it's magnetic field is too weak to sustain a livable environment...what we will get, perhaps is another catastrophe. And, doesn't it sound a bit familiar?? like in the film 'Total Recall'??

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join