It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars: One Way Ticket for Sale?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Looking at images from Mars one could think it looks almost like some places on Earth, like in Arizona or some dessert...and it would be fascinating to go there.

In reality, Mars would be a pretty sh!tty place to go.

The pressure is so low that it would kill you in 20 seconds without a special space suit. It's so low it would bring all fluids and also your blood to a boil - plus the fact that of course there would only be traces of oxygen and you couldn't breathe either. In addition to all this, it can be so cold, -80 C and in extreme cases -140 C degrees that any accidental exposure would instantly burn and damage skin because it's so extremely cold.

Add to this sand storms which would occasionally hide 99% of all sun light, which is already only 50% of that as on Earth.

So....unless there is some extremely cool, safe and luxurious colony established to live, I wouldn't want to go...and even then i would think twice. It would be very dangerous. If we're not lucky and it turns out Mars would be indeed entirely dead and maybe never had life - there is basically nothing but rocks and craters..so it wouldn't be the most exiting place to go either..to say it mildly...

edit on 6-10-2012 by flexy123 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
Why Mars first and not start on the Moon? Makes you wonder why they would choose the hard road first rather than colonize the moon and learn from it so you can then go to Mars.

One word: Radiation
Moon doesn't have magnetic field, or atmosphere to protect from deadly solar wind, or cosmic rays. Our current technology is not enough for that. You can be there some time, but you can't live there, even in space suit.

At least Mars has magnetic field and atmosphere, but you still would get dangerous radiation, but shielding from it is easier there. Mars is good during the summer, but martian winter is bad, its like hell.
edit on 7-10-2012 by Thebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by taws6
reply to post by phantomjack

I don't see how living on Mars would be possible.

In order to survive people need food, water, oxygen and shelter of which none of this exists on Mars. It's atmosphere is 95.32% carbon dioxide, 0.13% oxygen and other things. Average temperature is about -67 F, but can get as low as -225 F or as high as 81 F, but without an atmosphere, the temperature changes a lot between day and night and seasons.

There is a reason why there is nothing living on Mars.

Water, oxygen and shelter are already there, you just need to bring tech and food. You need to get energy for devices that turn ice into water and oxygen, there is lot ice in deep crevices near its poles, where sunlight never hits. Mars is full of caves, some are very large and satellites can't see bottom of those, deeper you go, warmer it gets. But you have to live in underground

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thebel

In order to survive people need food, water, oxygen and shelter of which none of this exists on Mars. It's atmosphere is 95.32% carbon dioxide, 0.13% oxygen and other things. Average temperature is about -67 F, but can get as low as -225 F or as high as 81 F, but without an atmosphere, the temperature changes a lot between day and night and seasons.

Water, oxygen and shelter are already there, you just need to bring tech and food. You need to get energy for devices that turn ice into water and oxygen, there is lot ice in deep crevices near its poles, where sunlight never hits. Mars is full of caves, some are very large and satellites can't see bottom of those, deeper you go, warmer it gets. But you have to live in underground

Dont bother, its a nother headbanger...They wont yeild even if
we HIT it in their faces with it.
But i agree the conditions on mars arent ideel..But then again,
its not like they are gonna sleep under the sun, in the birthsuit...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:55 AM
link   

shhhhh don't tell everybody ..... just the ones we're willing to keep

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I would go, and i would start building the colony on day 1 i set my foot there until the day i croaked. Nothing would please me more than to be able to do something really worthwhile and paramount like this for humanity before i die. I would need no salary just the basics to keep me alive as long as possible to be able to do as much work on the colony as possible before expiring.

Well maybe internet access would be nice, as well.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:27 AM
link   
reply to post by NeoVain

we'd have about 1/4 dedicated people wanting to make a difference and 3/4 grunt labor wanting to be out of prison. Either way, somebody will have to be "first" and build the initial compounds before any actual "settlers" could ever make the trip.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
Very interesting. I would be concerned about spending the remainder of my life with only three other individuals. Humans have some complex psychological and sociological needs.

In my opinion you would need far more "colonists" to make these excursions practical and successful.

it would work better for you if you spent some time reading actually the site...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:48 AM
link   
I'd love to go...as long as I'm one of the first..
I'd hate to get there only to be turned away by customs/immigration.

You'd have to be really serious to go.
imagine what you're giving up..
Rivers and seas, rain, wind, walking through forests, internet, latest movies, re runs of "I love Lucy"... birds, $5 gas, fishing, war, famine, governments, family, law and order... the list goes on..

But what would you receive?
first to live on another planet.. confined to a purpose built, sealed structure. your own space suit. Nuclear powered buggy rides... no new clothes. no shops to replenish food or to get a different luxury. Stuck in the same confines as anyone else you're with.. the effects of boredom mayset in real fast unless, by that time, we've sorted out a heck of a lot of new tech for anyone going..

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Extralien
I'd love to go...as long as I'm one of the first..
I'd hate to get there only to be turned away by customs/immigration.

You'd have to be really serious to go.
imagine what you're giving up..
Rivers and seas, rain, wind, walking through forests, internet, latest movies, re runs of "I love Lucy"... birds, $5 gas, fishing, war, famine, governments, family, law and order... the list goes on..

air to breathe, heat, atmospheric pressure, .... life

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:07 AM
link   
well we all know how the colonization will end up... right? I mean humans are always humans..

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:19 AM
link   
If I ever reach a time in my life where the kids are grown, the wife has passed on, and I'm spending my remaining years looking for hip, trendy bunny pics to add to my collection. . . . then for gods sakes! Someone PLEASE send me to Mars.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Not exactly a "suicide" trip at all.. Te question is left to the person where they choose to live out the rest of their life and die, Earth or Mars.

They say to live out your life presumably to an elderly age and then die. Would like to see the psychology of those people. I wonder what impact it would have on a person when the finality of the choice comes to bear. Would suicide rate increase, would mass insanity set in and cause people to go nuts?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:37 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

We already have plans for you Mr. Bunny!

Muhahahahahaha

All praise the bunny, let his fluffyness be true.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleChiten

As long as it involves scotch and the green babes from Star Trek, we'll be cool.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 08:50 AM
link   
I don't believe I would go.

Whenever I read anything about people wanting to colonize another planet I'm always left wondering why.

Why try to colonize another planet when instead you can use the ingenuity, the resources and the time it would take to try and fix what's wrong and going wrong on the planet we already have? Then once we have this planet habitable for as long as possible (what's the projection, the next billion years? Can't remember.) Then we could consider expanding so that when this planet is ready to die we would have options as a species.

I guess I'm just wondering why not try to be able to stay where we are for as long as possible and then once that's set, diversify

I could be wrong though... it's happened before lol

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:08 AM
link   
I say send Obama, Romney, Netanyahu and Ahmadinejad there, free by us all.
2nd line

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
What happens when youre halfway there and they tell you...by the way, everything youve been told by yhe government about mars is a lie. Theres trees, animals, water, clean air, and it gets up to 110 at the equator and down to -20 at the poles. Theres just no intelligent life there....however, we have to keep lying about it to earth and make it look like we wear space suits outside and are terraforming it ourselves. If you dont go along with the agenda you will be killed.

Then what?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by NullVoid
I say send Obama, Romney, Netanyahu and Ahmadinejad there, free by us all.
2nd line

Can we slowly send all the religious extremists there to kill eachother there insteax of trying to take the world out with them?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Gosh Yeah,

I have just come back to the UK after living in Australia for four years, thank goodness....

If I can live in Australia I can certainly survive on Mars..................haha

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join