It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mars: One Way Ticket for Sale?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
So, I dont know about you, but if I had the money, and Obama is re-elected, I would like nothing more to take a one way trip to Mars.

A new private space firm from the Netherlands called Mars One is attempting to to send four astronauts on a one-way journey to Mars in 2023. The company intends to create a ”habitable settlement” that will support settlers while they live and work on Mars. Every two years after 2023 an additional crew will arrive, enabling what they describe as a real living, growing community on Mars.

The pitch is simple, a Mars mission that will allow the participants to emigrate to the red planet, never to return. The trip will be be one way, allowing those who go to live and work on Mars for the rest of their lives. The company says a ‘return ticket’ is pretty much impossible when talking about the Red Planet.

SOURCE

What would you do if you could afford a ticket? How many of you ATS'rs would take the ULTIMATE SUICIDE TRIP OF A LIFETIME?

edit on 6-10-2012 by phantomjack because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by phantomjack

That doesn't even... Why would they repeatedly send people out there? It wouldn't become a community, it would become a prison... That is horrible...

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:59 PM
link   

If Romney is elected, I am going to volunteer for this.
Just joking.
I would go for sure. How often do you get the opportunity to even visit another planet? Never. Actually being able to live on one would be great. There's no telling what kind of strange new things you could discover.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
Very interesting. I would be concerned about spending the remainder of my life with only three other individuals. Humans have some complex psychological and sociological needs.

In my opinion you would need far more "colonists" to make these excursions practical and successful.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I would have a sensory overload thinking i'm in Star Wars headed for Tatooine or something.

How is it suicide though when it's no different from living out your life on this planet?
What's the difference truly?

link   
Why Mars first and not start on the Moon? Makes you wonder why they would choose the hard road first rather than colonize the moon and learn from it so you can then go to Mars.

link   

Originally posted by leanneasaur

That doesn't even... Why would they repeatedly send people out there? It wouldn't become a community, it would become a prison... That is horrible...

With all the crap, stupidity and violence here on Earth, I sometimes feel as if I'm in a prison where there is nowhere to run.

For a myriad of personal reasons I would gladly accept an opportunity to go on a one way trip.

I don't want to stay on earth anymore.
Anyway It has always been my dream to open a second hand store somewhere.
I would sell quality used Mars Exploration Vehicles.
I'd call it:
"The Old Curiosity Shop"

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:08 PM
link   
From the pictures of what the rover sent back, it looks boring as hell... I'd rather stay here

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   
Where do I sign?

At my age (gone 50) I'd love to go but I expect they want youngsters

I hope they got a better power unit than this

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
If I was single with no kids I might take them up on the offer

I would need a heck of a lot of toys to play with, and a super performance vehicle to blast around the planet

Ever since I was a little boy I dreamed of being like Captain Kirk

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:35 PM
link   
Going to Mars is on my bucket list,but I'm saving it for last.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:47 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

I allready own a plot up there...but ...do to a illness in the family we cant go..
if you would like to buy it ill let you know where you can send me a western union for it..
its realy cheap,lol

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:53 PM
link   

I wonder if you could stay in one of the bases the elites have on mars lol?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
Why Mars first and not start on the Moon? Makes you wonder why they would choose the hard road first rather than colonize the moon and learn from it so you can then go to Mars.

Dude, I couldn't agree more!
Yeah, Mars is great and all and its a great accomplishment to land rovers and what not on Mars, it truly is.

But what about the Moon?
Its closer, its only been landed on a few times, and there is still much to learn there. I am sure it would also be cheaper to run several missions to the Moon as apposed to one on Mars.

Personally, I think with todays technology the Moon should be crawling with rovers and scientific equipment. Perhaps even some more people wouldn't hurt.

Forget Mars! At least until we can master travel to the Moon. Keep Mars a side project.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I'll get flamed for this, but... oh well...

I think anyone who wants to go should get to go.... of only one gender. They should also include any death row inmates that want to go, any prisoner really. Give them their freedom and let them go to Mars.
Here's why.

To even have a colony, there's a LOT of work that will have to be done. When they get there, there will be structures to be built as life support. They'll have to wear special suits until the construction is complete and running. Everything that's built, they're going to have to build themselves, there are no construction companies up there. The colonists will be responsible for building everything that exists and doing all of the work that needs to be done. Let them do it.

The reason for sending only a single gender is so there won't be any reproduction going on. That way we can't have the issues that have come up here on earth with colonies of convicts creating settlements and their offspring being the people who end up being the residents. Let the convicts and the politically opposed do the work, give them all the time they need, send all the materials they need and let them do it. After enough time has gone by that they've all died off, then choose the people who will actually form the "society" of Mars. That way, everything's been built and they can have a good start. Send more materials, let them update structures and form an actual society, reproduce and fill the ... Mars.

Heck, they can even have both genders as long as all the women are sterilized before they go.

OK, you can flame me for it now

ETA: have drank a little and can be a MAJOR A-hole when I do that

edit on 6-10-2012 by PurpleChiten because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I'd go.

No, Really, I would.

Wouldn't have to ask me twice.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:56 PM
link   
I would go as long as there was some serious psych tests done first on those going.
Imagine being stuck on mars with a megalomaniac or simply someone who is mentally unstable in your small colony.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by leanneasaur

Why have ppl pay when you can simply ask?

Heres the deal:
80years without perole(spelling?) OR
one way to mars.
If they chose Mars, some study is to be taken.
(EXO)Biology, Chemestry, physics, Geology.
Most of them are fit enough when the question
is asked so, no need there...

If i were asked that, in THAT situation...I´d chose
Mars.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:12 PM
link   
This is a bit pedantic, but I'm glad I could give you some inspiration to start this thread!

edit on 10/6/2012 by cmdrkeenkid because: Fixing typo.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:28 PM
link   

I don't see how living on Mars would be possible.

In order to survive people need food, water, oxygen and shelter of which none of this exists on Mars. It's atmosphere is 95.32% carbon dioxide, 0.13% oxygen and other things. Average temperature is about -67 F, but can get as low as -225 F or as high as 81 F, but without an atmosphere, the temperature changes a lot between day and night and seasons.

There is a reason why there is nothing living on Mars.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join