It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Union Says ‘War-Like’ Detroit Is Unsafe For Visitors

page: 9
<< 6  7  8   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation
reply to post by milominderbinder

Murder is based per capita. I got swayed away from the fact that we are discussing all crimes in general. Anyway, Richmond (which is near Oakland) and Compton down south, have had higher murder rates in recent years after further study. The size of the City obviously plays a big part in determining the statistics, not just crimes with convictions. Detroit is a very big City. ~$heopleNation

edit on 8-10-2012 by SheopleNation because: TypO

No...it's not "based on per capita"...because that's impossible and makes no mathematical, scientific, or grammatical sense whatsoever. It's []bbased on crimes reported or convictions obtained. These results are then applied to a pro rata scale in order to show their relative statistical significance against other major metropolitan areas.

No wonder we keep ending up with these goofball politicians in office...the country is filled with people who don't understand the difference between an affect and effect.

...I hope Chinese educational system remedies this when they inevitably take us over.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Les Gold is basically the new Bank of America out there in Detroit.

Without that pawn store in Detroit, the community would collapse. That store for all intents and purposes is their bank. Perhaps the customers should stop yelling @ Les and his kids & start thanking them.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by steppenwolf86

Originally posted by milominderbinder
reply to post by xuenchen

Just goes to prove that the state and federal governments don't really give a rip about "homeland security" or "terrorist threats".

The highest per capita population of Muslim Immigrants live in Dearborn, MI...and 40 minutes away we have a war-torn hell hole w/out any sort of real police force or first responders of any kind, a HUGE amount vacant industrial buildings just perfect for building bombs in, and a population which is so utterly desperate and abandoned by their government that a $20 bill is enough to get 2/3 or better of the population to look the other way.

...yeah...great job on "homeland security" guys. I can just see the politicians and cabinet members up at the podium now with statements like: "Nobody could have forseen that Al-Queda was building a nuke in downtown Detroit." and "To have something like this happen in America's Heartland was unthinkable before (Insert Date Here).."

Way to fear monger over respectable innocent AMERICAN CITIZENS. People like you are the reason they hate us.

Oh...I'm not fear mongering at all. I'm just pointing out that it's probably not a wise practice to leave a huge industrial center more or less completely un-policed in serious fashion when there is an enormous population of immigrants located right next to that come from the same countries in which we have been carpet-bombing innocent civilians, fomenting completely unnecessary civil wars, toppling democratically elected governments, and swindling away the regions natural resources for the benefit of Dick Cheney for the last 64 years.

Certainly not all Middle Easterners are declaring jihad on us...but that doesn't mean that all Middle Easterners don't have MORE THAN ENOUGH VALID REASONS TO DO SO BECAUSE OF OUR IDIOTIC FOREIGN POLICY. Remember...when we do it it's "freedom fighting"...when anybody else does it then we call it "terrorism".

I'm just saying that strategically speaking the only thing more foolish than starting pointless civil wars in the Middle East, is leaving a major metro area to their own devices which also just happens filled with heavy-duty industrial equipment and located 30 minutes away from an international border and is populated by an enormous percentage of people whose relatives we might have just needlessly and senselessly murdered.

...it's kinda like heading out on opening day of hunting season wearing a deer costume...you're just kinda asking to get shot in the woods.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by xuenchen

Originally posted by MDG420
Here's a video I found on YouTube that shows some of how bad Detroit is..
www.youtube.com...

It's worth watching...

here it is.

(YouTube Caption)

Let's go for a ride starting in Highland Park (first few buildings), and then into Detroit . Witness the destruction of once Great industrial American cities turning them into ghost towns. Even in downtown Detroit, there are empty skyscrapers.... This video is just a TINY fraction of insane amount of buildings destroyed in Detroit . Historical buildings are falling apart leaving nothing for the next generations to admire. I urge viewers to research the true reasons of why this happened to this city, because if it happened to once great Detroit..... it might happen to Yours...

"World's Biggest GHETTO !!!!! "

Excellent video and think about this if you can........Imagine filming this at night..........I double dog dare you!

Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

(sigh) It's 1980's Beirut and it's in America. Complete with gunfire sporadically through the night. .....and not one major national leader cares or talks about it.

Cancer is an ugly thing. It destroys where it starts......then it spreads. Urban collapse is cancer to a nation of the worst kind.

I could not agree more with the above post by Wrabbit..

All said nice and tidy.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 10:22 PM
link   

No...it's not "based on per capita"...because that's impossible and makes no mathematical, scientific, or grammatical sense whatsoever. It's []bbased on crimes reported or convictions obtained. These results are then applied to a pro rata scale in order to show their relative statistical significance against other major metropolitan areas.

You don't even comprehend what you're discussing my friend. I guess it sounds good though eh?

No wonder we keep ending up with these goofball politicians in office...the country is filled with people who don't understand the difference between an affect and effect.

We end up with "goof ball politicians" because of confused and misled foolish mortals like you, who assume that everyone else is stupid and that you have all the answers for everything while at the same time knowing it all, which you don't. Are there plenty of idiots? = Yes. However, get over yourself and your rant cause people like you will never hold the answer to the problem.

...I hope Chinese educational system remedies this when they inevitably take us over.

Oh ok. Now we can clearly see what your malfunction is.

Hey, Get this straight as well, The Red Chinese are not taking anyone over (yeah I know that's the common fear these days), and without a doubt not the USA. Keep hoping and dreaming about that though guy. You're a fool if you believe we are gonna sit back and allow that to ever happen, ever. ~$heopleNation
edit on 9-10-2012 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Just goes to prove that the state and federal governments don't really give a rip about "homeland security" or "terrorist threats".

The highest per capita population of Muslim Immigrants live in Dearborn, MI...and 40 minutes away we have a war-torn hell hole w/out any sort of real police force or first responders of any kind, a HUGE amount vacant industrial buildings just perfect for building bombs in, and a population which is so utterly desperate and abandoned by their government that a $20 bill is enough to get 2/3 or better of the population to look the other way.

...yeah...great job on "homeland security" guys. I can just see the politicians and cabinet members up at the podium now with statements like: "Nobody could have forseen that Al-Queda was building a nuke in downtown Detroit." and "To have something like this happen in America's Heartland was unthinkable before (Insert Date Here).."

IMO Everyone should read the above post and then read it again paying particular attention to paragraph 3.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wide-Eyes
reply to post by DENBY

You obviously posted that fact with an intent or you wouldn't have posted it. I want to know what your point was. Are you implying that Detroit has been shat on because the population is mostly black or are you implying that Detroit is down the pan because the residents caused it?

I know little about Detroit apart from trailer parks.

Seriously though, didn't Detroit used to be the car manufacturing capital of America? This has all gone and you wonder why Detroit is a crap hole?

I know you posted that with an agenda.
edit on 8-10-2012 by Wide-Eyes because: spelling

No intent implication or agenda.

It is a statement.
Read it again.
What I say is as clear as a bell.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:02 AM
link   
I was in Detroit several times back in 1969 - 70.

Does "The Detroit Institute of Arts" still exist?

Also Detroit is a large City area-wise. Is it all a shambles or is it just the Down-Town or Industrial areas?

Just asking.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by DENBY

Also Detroit is a large City area-wise. Is it all a shambles or is it just the Down-Town or Industrial areas?

Just asking.

The DIA is still around, just had a vote for funding it through the Tri-County Area since Detroit can't afford it's costs anymore.

Most the of the Development that has occurred is in the Downtown Area, the Neighborhoods which are most of the city have been left to wither on the vine. The City itself is huge, which is part of the problem; it's built for over a 1.2 M people and is lucky to have 600,000 citizens now. I seriously doubt the inflated 700,000 census number.

Here's a very recent poll of Detroit citizens, if this isn't a warning call, I don't know what is. Remember the City has already lost about 250,000 residents in the last decade.

Poll: Crime drives Detroiters out: 40% expect to leave within 5 years

edit on 10-10-2012 by pavil because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by DENBY

The DIA is still around, though I believe it was close to shutting its doors at some point recently. I remember something in the news about it, but just don't remember what.

Most of the city is in shambles in one way or another. The infrastructure is crumbling in various ways. From the roads, to the sewers and water mains, to the municipal buildings (fire/police stations) A lot of downtown is actually decent. They do a good job to tear down the derelict buildings. The worst is in the industrial areas and the homes around the city. All are subject to heavy arson, break ins, theft, and squatting.

People say that the police need more funding, but we really do need to get rid of them. They just don't care. Watch this video about a body laying outside police dispatch for over four hours. Things like this are happening every day.

FOX 2 News

Also, I've spent quite a bit of time in dispatch. It's a joke... It was built before Detroit hosted the Superbowl, when the city was really trying to turn itself around. There was a lot of hope and promise for the city then, but after the Big Game, it all sort of faded away. (In that aspect I suppose one could Detroit : Hosting Superbowl :: Obama : Winning Election)

All of the dispatchers have these expansive work stations. They look almost like the chairs the people ride around in in Wall-E, and some of the people working there are just as big. Inside there are two "bunkers" that are built to withstand an explosive force of 500 pounds. They have blast doors, which cost tens of thousands of dollars, and were installed with the stipulation of always being closed. The only time they would open would be for shift changes. I don't think they've ever been shut once. Such a huge waste of money.

There is also a second "bunker" which houses all of the actual radios and associated equipment. It is supposed to be closed at all times, with only certain people to have access to it. These doors are always left open because it's a shortcut to go through there to another part of the building (the "nice" bathrooms), versus the long walk around. If anyone with malcontent wanted to take the city's dispatch offline all they would have to do is go in there and start unplugging wires. The guy who set it all up doesn't work there anymore, and will never be coming back.

The dispatch building is also where they do most of the radio repairs for the City's vehicle fleets (Police/Fire/EMS/Water). Those guys (about five of them now, used to be over twenty ten years ago) are understaffed, overworked, and not listened to. The cops beat the hell out of their equipment and then go to them complaining that they didn't install it right, or that it's broken because of something else the techs didn't do.

Here is the building in question on Google Maps.
Google Maps
edit on 10/10/2012 by cmdrkeenkid because: Bad links.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I am from the Detroit area this topic is a very emotional one for me, so I will try and not get into a dramatic tither.

Detroit police officers are understaffed and over-worked, yes people can cry it's a union thing blah blah, but unless you live in, or around the Detroit area you'll never actually know what is transpiring here.

I personally think that this tactic of theirs is going to be the proverbial "straw that broke the camels back" and here is why.

Detroit has been a corrupt city from all angles since Mayor Coleman Young's days, Detroit mayor (Bing) is trying his best to revive the city, but their are too many dirtbags from the old regime still involved. Money has been stolen on every level local, state, federal, and even protection money.

Detroit has also been very close to state receivership, meaning that the state many times was going to take it over, but someone always pulled a rabbit out of the hat. Now, the most needed entity next to Fireman are going on recorded and saying Detroit is "Unsafe".

In conclusion, I believe we will see the state step in and take Detroit over, which is greatly needed and has been needed for over 30 years.

Detroit can still be a great city if the right chess moves are made. I think we will see major changes due to this political move from the police in Detroit, maybe not exactly how they think it will work but rest assured this is a huge motivator for our area.

Mark your calenders folks because I am going to point back to this post.
edit on 10-10-2012 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by pavil

Originally posted by DENBY

Just asking.

The DIA is still around, just had a vote for funding it through the Tri-County Area since Detroit can't afford it's costs anymore.

Most the of the Development that has occurred is in the Downtown Area, the Neighborhoods which are most of the city have been left to wither on the vine. The City itself is huge, which is part of the problem; it's built for over a 1.2 M people and is lucky to have 600,000 citizens now. I seriously doubt the inflated 700,000 census number.

Here's a very recent poll of Detroit citizens, if this isn't a warning call, I don't know what is. Remember the City has already lost about 250,000 residents in the last decade.

Poll: Crime drives Detroiters out: 40% expect to leave within 5 years

I beg everyone here to read Pavil's link above, try and argue with the people in the article.

Star to Pavil and keep in mind these folks are born and bred Detroit.
Regards, Iwinder

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 12:58 AM
link   
With the way things have been going in Detroit, I doubt it will get better anytime soon.

I looked up a few videos from FOX 2 in Detroit and found some pretty horrific stories.

Decorated Veteran Murdered Defending Grandchildren. 4 people bust in and start pistol whipping his grandson, while the other kids got grandpa. Once he gets to the house, he gets gunned down.

Four hour police response time for a break in call

Check out how high tech the police cars are........no air conditioning, over 100,000 miles on a car, and that computer you see in most cop cars for running people names, gps, ect.......it's not there. It's just an empty piece of metal. (as you can see in just the video snapshot)

Oh, and how about Detroit EMS? You better hurry up and wait.....and wait, and wait.

edit on 11-10-2012 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 04:08 AM
link   
I blame the air. Somethings in the air.. Foehn winds artificially generated

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
Check out how high tech the police cars are........no air conditioning, over 100,000 miles on a car, and that computer you see in most cop cars for running people names, gps, ect.......it's not there. It's just an empty piece of metal. (as you can see in just the video snapshot)

The cars are fleet maintained, so over 100,000 miles is nothing. Many fleet maintained vehicles have over 300,000 miles. It's really not a big deal, since parts are repaired and replaced with actual frequency.

The computer was most likely broken (if that's the reason it isn't there) by *gasp!* THE COP! They break their equipment all the time. It's either negligence, frustration, or because they saw someone else's unit get upgraded and are hoping to get the same new equipment. Occasionally they even get stolen, but the cops never know how.

The computers do detach (they're just tablets) so it's possible that it it's on the passenger seat or in the passenger's lap. Also, notice the lack of separation between the front and back seats? That's more of a detective's, lieutenant, or captain's car. They frequently don't have all the equipment (despite having the connections and pieces for them) because they only go out to calls after the street level cops have done most of the work. They simply don't need the computer.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

Part of the problem with EMS is that many residents use the ambulance service for a chauffeur service to get them to the hospital since they lack transportation themselves. The problem with that is that they aren't emergency problems they are using it for, putting even more strain on resources.

Also, depending on the area, EMS/ Ambulances will not go into a situation without police backup. There have been enough instances of gunfire around or at EMS crews that it's not worth risking their lives for getting to a scene that is still dangerous.

The Firefighters, Police and EMS that work in Detroit SHOULD be paid more than in other surrounding communities, they are in a LOT more dangerous situations then their suburban brethren. Most Long term Detroit Police try to move to a Suburban force eventually, it's too much stress and danger, even for a policeman.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Oh, and its not race by the way. Any liberal/leftist run place throughout the world starts looking like that after a few decades. "Redistribution of wealth" always has the same effects, no matter which ethnicity its applied to.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhatAreThey
Detroit is nearly 83% black.

Black Democrats/Liberals that is. Black conservatives/republicans (read: people with work ethic) tend to prosper everywhere they go.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8   >>

join