It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Union Says ‘War-Like’ Detroit Is Unsafe For Visitors

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
reply to post by WhatAreThey

First off, what was your point in stating that the city is 80%+ black? After all that is all your post stated, you didn't post anything else.

Secondly, I am not defending anyone. I am not sure where you got that from.

Third, color has nothing to do with anything. Feel free to look at stats from any major city or highly populated area. When unemployment is high, people regardless of color, turn to crime. Just because there are no jobs doesn't mean people simply stop eating.

and Forth- your postings scream of racism, and I really do not wish to engage in such a silly ignorant game.

Racism? Where do you get that from? Are statistics racist?

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrWendal
And they also have one of the largest black police forces in the Country with roughly 73% of all sworn Officers being black and many non black officers making claims of racism and discrimination. Frankly I don't think color has much to do with anything. If it was an all white city with roughly 50% unemployment, you would still see the same level of crime and violence. People have turned to drugs to make a living. Since drugs are illegal, it is up to the dealers to protect their own supplies. We saw the same thing in inner cities during prohibition around the time of the Great Depression.

did we, did we really, did we really see the levels of moral poverty shown by many of the "good" citizens of detroit- and bear in mind, that in the Depression, man that was realy poverty, as in dirt poor possible starvation, hardly comparable with the fatties in Detroit

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   
reply to post by WhatAreThey

they scream and scream, yet are probably the first to mention the racial stats in prisons, some people live with their heads in the sand....

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Detroit isn't really that dangerous. I, a Canadian long hair honky walked around there at night this April. I didn't feel safe, and there were a lot of bums, but nothing happened and I was never even threatened. It's just following its natural course. The only thing that could restore it would be if the U.S. started gearing up for WWIII and moved all its production to Detroit and hired some of these nice individuals. Short of that, it's gonna end up being farmsteads on a mid-western plain. And there's nothing wrong with that.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Another ting....many surrounding suburbs have police forces making considerably more money per year...plus benefits...still. They want more...
And, of course, the Detroit force sees what the suburbs are getting and think their pay should also rise.
Doesn't anyone care that the taxpayers....the people who pay their salaries.....not only make far, far less...but also have living expenses and cannot afford higher taxes.!!!!!!!!!!!!

You know, I almost hesitate to reply on this because of how polarized things have become. To appear to agree with some points at all is jumped upon so fast (by others) as agreement with all, that it's almost necessary to stake the extremes just to avoid that level of the B.S..

All that to say this..... I think what you bring up is the 'Ugly Side' of Capitalism and how the need for greed has infected everyone....right down to the cops. Perhaps that's also one of the larger differences with cops today and there in Detroit. What happened to at last a good PART of the reason for being a cop being to help the community and normal people? These days it's money money money and screw the people of the city they work in. Or decisions that DO screw the people directly and made for liability (read: money) reasons.

In that way, my own city is much like Detroit. Heck, the pay isn't that bad for cops and in line to a comfortable middle class living in the city they're patrolling. However, it seems UPPER Middle Class is the bare minimum to be demanded by just about everyone...by any means necessary to get there. So, like you describe Detroit, my city has a reputation for Law Enforcement of being a place to start and get the couple years training then leave for a "Real Department".

We,the screwed, end up with a perpetual Police Force of various levels of trainees. I wonder if the ones that come, bitch and leave ever even give that side a thought? In Detroit at least, it sounds like the whole Department really has about given up. The stories of response time alone leave little else to conclude.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Siberbat

Originally posted by poet1b
Detroit, like the rest of the US has been going through a drop on crime rates since the early 90 ties.

Detroit isn't the city with the highest crime rate, it is 5th on the list.

City Crime Risk Index
1. St. Louis 530
2. Atlanta 484
3. Birmingham Alabama (tie) 380
3. Orlando (tie) 380
5. Detroit 369
6. Memphis 361
7. Miami 346
8. Baltimore 339
9. Kansas City, Missouri 337
10. Minneapolis (tie) 331
10. Cleveland (tie) 331

New Orleans and Richmond, Virginia had the highest murder rates in the country in 2009, according to the FBI. Likewise, Anchorage, Alaska, and Abilene, Texas, which are not among the cities with the most overall crime, still had the second- and third-highest rates of forcible rapes in 2009, behind No. 1 Minneapolis.

Looks like the police are pulling a scam.

Where is Chicago??? Didn't make the top 10? Ummm...ok?

I agree. New Orleans is having an average of 4 murders a day for about a month now and they dont make the list?!?!?! seems a little shady to me.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by PeterCottonTail

I LOVE Eastern Market. There is always such tasty food and unique things to see! If you're into art or anything creative you should check out the Russell Industrial Center!

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by seeker1963

What would be so wrong living under rule that provided basic needs, education and peace? What kind of "freedom" are you losing? Are "they" going to take away your passport so you can't leave the US?

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

City Crime Risk Index
1. St. Louis 530
2. Atlanta 484
3. Orlando (tie) 380
5. Detroit 369
6. Memphis 361
7. Miami 346
8. Baltimore 339
10. Cleveland (tie) 331

New Orleans and Richmond, Virginia had the highest murder rates in the country in 2009, according to the FBI. Likewise, Anchorage, Alaska, and Abilene, Texas, which are not among the cities with the most overall crime, still had the second- and third-highest rates of forcible rapes in 2009, behind No. 1 Minneapolis.

I know out here Oakland, Ca was the murder capital of the Country one year. For it to not even be on the top 10 list tells me these statistics might not be accurate. People get murdered in Oakland every single day it seems. Trust me, you don't want to be walking around most areas of Oakland at night. ~$heopleNation

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by xuenchen

Just goes to prove that the state and federal governments don't really give a rip about "homeland security" or "terrorist threats".

The highest per capita population of Muslim Immigrants live in Dearborn, MI...and 40 minutes away we have a war-torn hell hole w/out any sort of real police force or first responders of any kind, a HUGE amount vacant industrial buildings just perfect for building bombs in, and a population which is so utterly desperate and abandoned by their government that a $20 bill is enough to get 2/3 or better of the population to look the other way.

...yeah...great job on "homeland security" guys. I can just see the politicians and cabinet members up at the podium now with statements like: "Nobody could have forseen that Al-Queda was building a nuke in downtown Detroit." and "To have something like this happen in America's Heartland was unthinkable before (Insert Date Here).."

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by SheopleNation

City Crime Risk Index
1. St. Louis 530
2. Atlanta 484
3. Orlando (tie) 380
5. Detroit 369
6. Memphis 361
7. Miami 346
8. Baltimore 339
10. Cleveland (tie) 331

I know out here Oakland, Ca was the murder capital of the Country one year. For it to not even be on the top 10 list tells me these statistics might not be accurate. People get murdered in Oakland every single day it seems. Trust me, you don't want to be walking around most areas of Oakland at night. ~$heopleNation

C'mon guys...SERIOUSLY?

Crime statistics are compiled based upon either A) the # of arrests or B) the number of convictions. Therefore, theoretically speaking if Anytown, USA had no police force whatsoever it could be rated as the "safest city in America" with a crime rate of absolute ZERO...and there could still be 100 murders, 200 rapes, and 300 armed robberies every single day.

All you have to do is think about the problem BEFORE trying to interpret or draw conclusions from the stats.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:51 PM
link   
I lived on the east side of Detroit and it was horrible then, which was over 5 years ago now! I still go to Detroit regularly for my job and go downtown on weekend sometimes, and it's just insane how many homeless crackheads there are EVERYWHERE, I drove past a sign a few months ago that Said something like "warning, this neighborhood is infested with crackheads, secure your belongings ..." I'll have to see if I can find a picture of it online and post it.

ETA: here's the link nation.foxnews.com...
edit on 8-10-2012 by MDG420 because: Added link

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe
reply to post by MrWendal

I'll not comment on his post or yours, but the 2010 US census backs up his claims
quickfacts.census.gov...

Those interested in Detroit and how it got the way it is are encouraged to read Detroit, a biography
There's no simple answers to Detroit problems....especially when fixes have been ignored for decades.

I don't have time right this minute but I am looking forward to going through the material. Thank you.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:04 PM
link   
reply to post by milominderbinder

Murder is based per capita. I got swayed away from the fact that we are discussing all crimes in general. Anyway, Richmond (which is near Oakland) and Compton down south, have had higher murder rates in recent years after further study. The size of the City obviously plays a big part in determining the statistics, not just crimes with convictions. Detroit is a very big City. ~$heopleNation

edit on 8-10-2012 by SheopleNation because: TypO

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Here's a video I found on YouTube that shows some of how bad Detroit is..
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDG420
Here's a video I found on YouTube that shows some of how bad Detroit is..
www.youtube.com...

It's worth watching...

here it is.

(YouTube Caption)

Let's go for a ride starting in Highland Park (first few buildings), and then into Detroit . Witness the destruction of once Great industrial American cities turning them into ghost towns. Even in downtown Detroit, there are empty skyscrapers.... This video is just a TINY fraction of insane amount of buildings destroyed in Detroit . Historical buildings are falling apart leaving nothing for the next generations to admire. I urge viewers to research the true reasons of why this happened to this city, because if it happened to once great Detroit..... it might happen to Yours...

"World's Biggest GHETTO !!!!! "

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 12:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by milominderbinder

Just goes to prove that the state and federal governments don't really give a rip about "homeland security" or "terrorist threats".

The highest per capita population of Muslim Immigrants live in Dearborn, MI...and 40 minutes away we have a war-torn hell hole w/out any sort of real police force or first responders of any kind, a HUGE amount vacant industrial buildings just perfect for building bombs in, and a population which is so utterly desperate and abandoned by their government that a $20 bill is enough to get 2/3 or better of the population to look the other way.

...yeah...great job on "homeland security" guys. I can just see the politicians and cabinet members up at the podium now with statements like: "Nobody could have forseen that Al-Queda was building a nuke in downtown Detroit." and "To have something like this happen in America's Heartland was unthinkable before (Insert Date Here).."

Way to fear monger over respectable innocent AMERICAN CITIZENS. People like you are the reason they hate us.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Raist
The only reason to go to Detroit any more is to join the police force there. And only then if you are suicidal or just a roid raged face buster.

Seriously Detroit is no place for a person any longer. It is sort of third world like in the way of violence. Then again some third world places are safer.

Raist

Detroit is how most major US cities will become when the dollar goes beyond the bottom of the barrel. Maybe Detroit has become a model for some government agency to study.Detroits situation is sad...but true.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 03:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by zatara

Originally posted by Raist
The only reason to go to Detroit any more is to join the police force there. And only then if you are suicidal or just a roid raged face buster.

Seriously Detroit is no place for a person any longer. It is sort of third world like in the way of violence. Then again some third world places are safer.

Raist

Detroit is how most major US cities will become when the dollar goes beyond the bottom of the barrel. Maybe Detroit has become a model for some government agency to study.Detroits situation is sad...but true.

Newsflash: The dollar has gained quite a bit over the last year.

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 04:36 AM
link   

(sigh) It's 1980's Beirut and it's in America. Complete with gunfire sporadically through the night. .....and not one major national leader cares or talks about it.

Cancer is an ugly thing. It destroys where it starts......then it spreads. Urban collapse is cancer to a nation of the worst kind.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9 >>

join