learn more

Police Union Says ‘War-Like’ Detroit Is Unsafe For Visitors

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by milkyway12
Sounds like Detroit needs the national guard. The last thing you want to do is attack the United States military. If its this bad, a state of emergency needs to be declared and we need to go in and wipe out the gangs

Seriously, if its that bad, request the national guard and declare marshal law.

The gangs are a domestic threat. They need to be eliminated. They need to know they have no power. The United States military will and can break them. They can give up in peace or die, either way.
edit on 7-10-2012 by milkyway12 because: (no reason given)

Where do you think gangs get weapons and tactics training?
Don't get me wrong, the situation is out of hand and is a clear threat to law and order. I agree with you that military action may be needed to stablize the city. Never thought I would condone military action in a US city...but in this case, yes.
edit on 7-10-2012 by Siberbat because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Jason88

www.michigan.gov...

michigan.gov...

michigantruthsquad.com... racts-3.pdf

ETA: Some of the ads are available here: www.youtube.com...
edit on 10/7/2012 by BrokenCar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:28 PM
link   
reply to post by MadQuacker

sounds like detroit should be attacted and a regime change should be implicated , thats the american way isn't it lol

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by tom.farnhill
reply to post by MadQuacker

sounds like detroit should be attacted and a regime change should be implicated , thats the american way isn't it lol

Unfortunately, there's no oil there. lol

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:30 PM
link   
certainly it seems Detroit's reputation precedes it

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
oh well. the world will end in just over 2 months, who cares?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
A big part of their problem is 30% plus unemployment. I don't think even if they make the polece department two times larger would they be better off. A big part of the 30% unemployment is corruption in the government there. As example a company wanted to buy a large building and were told they had to invest into it first to get it all up to their code. A big part of that code is payoffs etc, so the company's choice was to spend millions on a building that they didn't even own or go else where...what do you think they did...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueAjah

Originally posted by SprocketUK
100 bucks for a house?
Hell, buy a street and get all your mates to move in.
I reckon you could clean up one street at a time if you're all of the right mind set (and well armed).

In theory the idea sounds wonderful.
The main problem is, what are you all going to do for a living when you get there?
The main problem there is unemployment. The manufacturing is gone. There just are no jobs.
The unemployment is the main thing driving the criminal activity.

That is scary, when you consider that unemployment is spreading across the country, and more and more companies are shipping jobs overseas.
How long will it be until most major cities turn into Detroits?

It could be a good idea, however you're point is valid too.

Maybe retired people like me can go in there, heck I'll buy a few blocks worth myself, fix them up then resell them at a discounted rate to the Government so they can use them for barracks for all the troops they are going to need to bring that city back under control.
Can't think of any other way until the jobs come back for sure.

Wow, after seeing that video of their City Counsel, it is clear that their egos and, who's 'disrespect'n me up in here', is more important than resolving the issues at hand.
edit on 7-10-2012 by Lonewulph because: cant spell worth a damn

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
WOW OMG THOSE POOR COPS!! sounds like every other working schmucks job (non degree) accept they don't get pensions, its obvious that the fed wants the "poor" and uneducated to kill themselves off, so let them, just have the whole force go on paid leave for 6 -12 months, come back and clean the bodies up,cops win, town wins, and tax payers win in end, problem solved. oh sure innocents will die but i mean does anyone really care,nahhh they don't (oh i know some of you hippy bleeding heart types will say you care but as soon as you get a check in mail to help buy more cops in a state you don't live in, will be the exact minute you don't! lol) , if they did they, it wouldn't have the highest crime rate lol.
40 million people or more out of work and cant find any room for more cops not even in a neighborhood watch capacity? sad sad sad country.
edit on 7-10-2012 by ~widowmaker~ because: sp

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sweetooth
reply to post by xuenchen

We citizens of Glasgow vacation in Detoit...

Excellent Comic Relief!

Squarely on target and acidically satirical.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I suspect this has something to do with the cops wanting prop 2 passed here in MI. We are bombarded right now with ads showing teachers, firefighters and cops telling us we need to vote yes on 2. This is BS quit spreading the crap.

I would tend to agree. This is a publicity stunt for the police union to get better pay. While the pay may be less than other cities, living in Detroit is about as cheap a cost of living as anywhere else.

Historically, unions in Michigan - be it firefighters, police, teachers, etc. - had unbelievable pensions, pay, vacation time, etc. that were totally out of the norm when compared to private industry. Thankfully, we have a strong governor and strong local leadership that is finally rightsizing these egregious pay packages.

Detroit is, no doubt, a dangerous city. Unemployment at 30%? I have heard as high as 50%. I drive through the city daily - Morning traffic is pretty congested, so there is some kind of economic vitality here in Metro Detroit. We have been through he-- and back, and have a long way to go, but this publicity stunt is a bit of exaggeration. Definitely stay out of the city at night.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

Originally posted by WhatAreThey
Detroit is nearly 83% black.

I knew someone would say that.

From DENBY - [And not a moment too soon.
Pity that it will not inspire an intellegent straightforward discussion.]

And wtf is this "Hunky" ive never heard that term or "White Bread"... thats hilarious
edit on 7-10-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

With all due respect I assume you are not from the USA.

edit on 10/7/2012 by DENBY because: Clarification

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by MDDoxs
I was watching "Parking Wars" which chronicles the day to day struggle of detroits parking enforcers and from what I have seen, their lives are at risk every single work day.

Detroit is becoming the Wild West

Yep,and my two cents I wanna add is the show "Hardcore Pawn".If the things that happen on that show are even remotely indicative of what it's like in Detroit,then it's one more example to add to the list.
I was in a thread the other day somewhere and Detroit was the topic and some of the same things were being said and I chimed in and said that if I was awarded millions of dollars,but the caveat was I had to live in Detroit,I'd have to turn it down.
This is nothing really new--I was born in '65 and grew up in a south suburb of Chicago and it was common knowledge that Detroit was the murder capital of the US.Ted Nugent even mentioned it in one of his songs.So--it was never that great to begin with,and all this time later it's only increased exponentially.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Detroit, like the rest of the US has been going through a drop on crime rates since the early 90 ties.

Detroit isn't the city with the highest crime rate, it is 5th on the list.

City Crime Risk Index
1. St. Louis 530
2. Atlanta 484
3. Birmingham Alabama (tie) 380
3. Orlando (tie) 380
5. Detroit 369
6. Memphis 361
7. Miami 346
8. Baltimore 339
9. Kansas City, Missouri 337
10. Minneapolis (tie) 331
10. Cleveland (tie) 331

New Orleans and Richmond, Virginia had the highest murder rates in the country in 2009, according to the FBI. Likewise, Anchorage, Alaska, and Abilene, Texas, which are not among the cities with the most overall crime, still had the second- and third-highest rates of forcible rapes in 2009, behind No. 1 Minneapolis.

Looks like the police are pulling a scam.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Michigan is open-carry...if the citizens feel threatened all they gave to do is exercise their
rights to self-protection...

1) Any law abiding citizen of the State of Michigan who owns a safety inspected handgun may openly carry (in a holster) said firearm in all places not explicitly exempt by law with or without a CPL. Private property rules over-ride state law in regards to firearm possession.

If this was done Michigan (as bad as the conditions are at the moment) would become as crime free
as anywhere in the nation......after a few hundred/thousand of the bad guys are taken out, anyway

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

Just more proof that the "Police State" is on it's way. Look at the violence in Chicago! This is all planned, and just watch the American public bow down to their masters when they bring in the military to "Protect" them!

Just look at this earlier post that was put up by ATS member "jude11".....

Military Employed For Crowd Control At College Football Game This Saturday

While we all fight over partisan nonsense, they are ushering in the control grid right under our pathetic noses! If you think Romney is going to stop the progress of what is already in place, ya'll are badly mistaken!

It's a coming folks!

I am from Chicago, and believe me none of this is planned, there will be no Police state, etc. It is not a conspiracy. In Chicago, over the last year many of the gang kingpins have been arrested, leaving the rest of the gang to fight for the top dog position. THAT is the reason for all the murders, it is a drug war between gangs, and inside of the gangs. Oddly enough, a white person on Cicero Ave. is safe and do you know why? There is one reason you are there, to buy drugs, and you would not come around if you were in danger of being robbed or cheated. No one will lay a hand on you because the gangs will do much worse to them, since it is the suburban whites money that keeps it all going strong. It is rather sad though, to roll down your window and have 12 year old kids ask what you are looking for, or have them try to direct you to a spot. It seems like chaos, but in reality it is all tightly controlled, it is a business after all.

So in conclusion, no conspiracy, just the reality of Chicago being a major trafficking hub.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

What sort of government do they have in Detroit? What kind of leadership do they have? How could they let things get this bad?

My questioning pic.

1) Corrupt
2) Liberal Democrats

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by MCJustJ
I personally feel like things are being blown out of proportion.

All these places were worse than they are now back in the 70s and early 80s. New York was terrible.

Now I don't mean to say its not bad, and something clearly needs to be done.

But I feel handing out fliers warning people away from the city is misguided.

People who grew up in the ghetto during those periods know things are bad now but they also know how much worse things have been.

With that said, it can't hurt to hand out fliers so I'm not really opposed to it, but I just see some things being thrown around. If Detroit is like a "Third World City" now what were these places back then?

New york is actually probably the safest it's ever been right now, despite it's ban on >16 oz sugar drinks and tickets for sitting on public benches.

The only criminals in new york that are likely to affect you are the police. I think you've made an unfair statement there. Detroit is wicked bad, not even close to how new york ever was.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   

You KNOW DETROIT is bad when China isn't even interested in buying up the cheap real estate there!!!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I think the stats being looked at here are selective or just very poorly showing how BAD the situation is in Detroit itself. If there is a worse city in the county, I'd like to know where...and I mean a major Metropolitan City. I did find some stats out of curiosity to see how bad it had gotten... Ugh... I feel for Detroit. I really do. This can't be shrugged off or called acceptable by any stretch of the imagination as far as I'm concerned. A Major metro area has utterly failed and I want to hear a candidate talk about it. How to fix a broken city?

First, it doesn't surprise me the crime rate has dropped. Just shy of a quarter million people have fled the city between 2000 and 2010 and it makes a full 25% of Detroit's population. Detroit's own area Chamber of Commerce has those figures.

Detroit Area Population figures 1990-2000-2010

That isn't what left me feeling the worst though. Not by a long shot. I recall years ago that a house could be had in Detroit for $10,000, things were so bad. Not a lot of them, years ago...but some that weren't dumps to begin with.

Detroit Area Real Estate Available Now

I'm not going to single out properties... it feels cruel to almost make fun of it, it's so tragic. The general figures for number of houses within price ranges are..

1,539 Properties under $20,000. Of those, 15 are Commercial and 927 are single family homes.
6,522 Properties under $50,000. Of those, 80 are Commercial and 5,540 are single family homes.

*There are other categories for the people wondering about the balance. Things like empty lots. The site has the searches on those.

One of those commercial properties around $50k was over 6,300sq feet in what looked like good condition to me. Anywhere BUT THERE..or areas near equally depressed, it wouldn't be remotely close to that price. Many businesses under 50k have photos showing current business in there. Store fronts and such....Total price to own it is under $50k. It's amazing. A majority under about $80,000 were foreclosures but plenty well above that were as well. From slums selling for $500 (no kidding..they're there too) to the luxury high rises I recognize..foreclosed all over.

I'm voting for the cops on this one and saying they're in a bad bad place and need just a bit more support than most, IMO. There are still decent people in that city that need their services.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join