It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Anyone know about Fruit Flies?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
I hate the bloody things and can't get rid of them. My place is beyond clean, it's Spartan. My laundry is bagged. My garbage is sealed and they are still here. Can they be coming from another apartment? if so my landlord is getting a call.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
They come from drains actually. Pour some bottles of bleach down your tub and sink's drains and you should be rid of them.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Yep I know about them...evil little things that are very persistant. There is a way to get rid of them tried and tested many times by me! A glass, jar or anything that will hold an average sized glass of red wine as long as there is an inch or so left at the top. Put 1 drop of washing up liquid in it so it breaks the film on top and the pesky blighters dont float and leave for a couple of days. Its the vilest thing as you see them all floating at the bottom but hey...they have gone!! Make sure there is no rubbish, fruit, veg etc in the open to attract them back in the future
Hey Presto...fruit fly free home.
edit on 6-10-2012 by MollFlanders because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:12 PM
link   
If you get some apple cider vinegar and put it into a low dish with a drop of liquid dish soap, they'll be attracted to it and die when they sip from it. You can secure a piece of plastic over the top with a rubber band and poke some holes in to ensure they do not get out.

Is it your garbage disposal (if you have one)? A lot of people don't clean theirs correctly and can end up with them that way.

How to clean your garbage disposal.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   
I know one came in my car window at 80 MPH and hit me in my eye and i almost crashed!!!!!!11!!1!!11ONE!!1!!
What a jerk that bug was...

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
I have trouble with them every year about this time.

Other posters have given some good advice. I usually take a small jar, poke small holes in the lid, and put in either apple cider vinegar or a small bit of fruit (banana works best). For some reason, they can crawl in and get their fill, but they can't crawl back out.

I have a few jars with apple cider vinegar in my kitchen as I type this, catching the nasty little buggers.

What really chaps my hide is the fact that there are so many of them out here on the high plains, and yet no fruit that grows anywhere out here naturally. Go figure.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:26 PM
link   
Thanks guys. I'll do both. The jar and the drains.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
i've noticed loads of the little bugg*rs this year... i've got tomato plants inside, and aloe vera, and they seem to live in the soil.. but thanks for the apple cider vinegar tips, i'm gonna do that right now!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by OpenSource
I know one came in my car window at 80 MPH and hit me in my eye and i almost crashed!!!!!!11!!1!!11ONE!!1!!
What a jerk that bug was...

lol.. a similar thing happened to me but it was a stupid honeybee that flew into my window on the highway and I
have a bad phobia about bees.
It landed on my shirt and stung me on the neck, I almost wrecked trying to get it off me

Anyway, the fruitflies, are they those little fly things between the size of a gnat and a house fly im not familiar with what they look like but ive seen things like that buzzing around my sink occasionally
edit on 6-10-2012 by Juggernog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:09 PM
link   
There very small and reddy brown coloured.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I have them bad right now. We just moved into this apartment not long ago.

It has a garbage disposal ,that doesn't work. I bet it's dirty..

I thought I noticed flies crawling out of the sink, but I had no idea.

Gawd they're annoying. I just bleached the drains, an looking for some vinegar.

Thanks for the thread, cause my girl has been freaking out, and making me stressed with her shrieks.. Couldn't figure out how to kill the buggers. Had a lot of houseflies too just all of the sudden one day. My Killer cat got em all. too bad he doesn't go after the fruity ones.
edit on 10/6/2012 by Dustytoad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:18 PM
link   
Having tried both I find the red wine works better than the cider vinegar!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I'm having the same fruit fly problem at the moment, someone told me to boil some vinegar in a pan and it would drive them out, but they just seem to move into a different room and come back later

I will try some of the suggestions here

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
They drink the vinegar/wine fall in and drown but you need the drop of liquid soap to break the film so they dont swim to the side and climb out. I have studied them in action ha ha! God, I need a life!

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Guys, I love you all, platonically of course. Haven't seen one of those buggers in 5 days. Thank you.

posted on Oct, 13 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Excellent news!

top topics

join