It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

George Carlin Interview.

page: 1

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:01 PM
link   
We've all seen his stand-up routines.
But have you ever seen him sit down for an in depth interview and tell his life story?
Do you know everything that went in to making this man who and what he is?
This guy is one of my all time heros and after this interview, I like him even more.

I don't know how I stumbled upon it but I was surfin the net last night and I was ready for bed when I came across it. Unfortunately I clicked the play tab and told myself "ehh, I'll watch a few minutes of this then I'll head off to bed. 45 mins later I was wishing I would have waited till the morning to watch it. I was glued. I just couldn't stop watching.

If you are a huge fan like me, set aside some time and watch what went into making this great man.

edit on 6-10-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)
extra DIV

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Thanks for posting this! I intend to watch it a little later but wanted to comment so I didn't lose it!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Great start!

It's interesting to find what makes one of the best comedians in the world click.

Must be watched by everyone.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:51 PM
link   
Funny, I actually stumbled across this video yesterday, as well!
I'll also recommend to anyone who hasn't see it to give it a watch, it's well worth the time.
Carlin is one of those dudes who's voices and material have been in the background my entire life. I was first exposed to him when I was ten and he played Rufus in Bill and Ted's Excellent adventure and wrongly assumed that he was just some actor. As I got a little older I was taken aback to find out that that the man who helped guide Wyld Stallyns to rock greatness had very relevant things to say and that my father actually had some of his vinyl in the closet to prove it. Nice find!

-on a side note
(and I'll preface this by saying that it is only because of countless hours perusing the ATS boards that I noticed)

at 35 minutes and change into the video, as it's nearing the end, Carlin is talking about his IRS troubles and his former managers and taxes that weren't paid and whatnot. He's voicing his grievances but then says, basically, that despite it all the US is still the greatest place despite the drawbacks. at which point he flashes the OK symbol with his left hand. Now, I'm aware of all the theories floating out there about the Illuminati and NWO and all seeing eye and whatnot. Carlin talks openly about it in his work(without speaking candidly about it). In fact it became the foundation for a lot of his later word and social commentary. It's probably nothing. More thank likely it is what it is and it's just him making a common gesture. But for a second I couldn't help but wonder if he was, in a non verbal way, identifying the source for 'drawbacks'. Anyways, I'm ready to be ripped for this last part. I'm going to go out and get some fresh air.

love this man
edit on 6-10-2012 by slowisfast because: sp

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by slowisfast

Funny you mentioned it because that was the one really awkward part of the interview for me as well.

I guess I just chalked it up to him not wanting to piss off any significant portion of his fan base.
There are so many people out there who know there is a problem in this country and want to fix it but the second you mention how we shouldn't have to pay taxes and the FACT that it is unconstitutional then they get all "Patriotic" on you and tell you

"Iffn eeww don like eet, then geeet out".

There are alot of these backward thinking rednecks out there and I am sure they go to his concerts.
There, that should take some of the heat off of you.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:13 PM
link   
My favorite clip from George Carlin is about religion. Dont watch it if you are religious. But its very funny if you are not.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I love the guy and haven't seen this one before. There are hundreds of comedians and only a select few live to see themselves become iconic...Carlin was one them.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:50 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I've never seen that before, thanks for the clip.

The first thing that ever struck me about the guy was how well he could articulate his thoughts, and that video is no exception.Great stuff. He's always had a great command of the English language.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Thanks for sharing.
I watch clips of him on stage all the time.

That`s the first time iv`e watched this video and i thoroughly enjoyed it.
What a great loss.

S+F !!!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 07:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Damn, Carlin rules! I'm so glad that we have the plethora of books, routines, interviews etc. that he left us with.
RIP- George.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
this man is one of my true idols. I love his live routines, they are hysterical yet hold a strong message. I love how he used his comedy to not only entertain but to also educate. I'll check this out tomorrow when i have some time, thanks for posting it for us

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

I love George and have been watching his HBO stand up since I was a kid in the 80s. I've always loved stand up comedy and George Carlin is one my absolute favorites. I even quote George in my signature.

So in the spirit of ATS and in honor of George Carlin I wanna post 2 Carlin videos of my own. I hope you all enjoy them.

George Carlin - Conspiracy Theorists

George Carlin on the American Dream

edit on 7-10-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Screwed

Thanks for the post screwed, I adore Carlin. Wish we had him & Lennon and a few others still around.

This is copied/pasted from my own comments on the thread titled, "Just Laugh at it all", www.abovetopsecret.com... it works just as well here.

"As much as I value music for saving my life several times, I value great comedy even more than great music. I think great comedians (as artists committed to the great work) perform possibly the fastest psychological "evolutionary work" on humanity available today (aside possibly from this innernette thing).

I really believe a good/great sense of humor is KEY to successful survival as a complete being in this realm.

I prefer to think of this function to laugh in crisis situations as a human survival mechanism that we normally do not have much control over. Being able to laugh at the tragedy somehow has helped me to at least get passed the initial shock (circa 95', other shocks of course followed) of what was/is going on.

IMHO, Laughter possibly = love for yourself or humanity, because in laughter, we easily IDENTIFY with our fellow beings."

edit on 8-10-2012 by Pagedisciple because: to give thanks to the op for posting the video

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Pagedisciple

DAMN good post my friend!

I laugh at nearly everything.
You'll often hear me say on these boards, "If I don't laugh, I'll cry".

And I mean it.
I laugh like a mad man when I hear some of the stuff that is happening in the world.
It is so crazy that it is funny.
I really think that laughter is healing. I have the best sense of humor of anyone I know.
I really don;t know how you can go thru this life without belly laughing at least once a day.

edit on 8-10-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Great video! Just when i thought id seen the last new material from the greatest entertainer i can personally remember. Thanks for the laughs George.

new topics

top topics

join