It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Congressman on House Science Committee: Science Is ‘All Lies From The Pit Of Hell!’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA): Evolution, Big Bang ‘Lies Straight From The Pit Of Hell’
(talkingpointsmemo.com)

Republican Representative Paul Broun (R-GA) serves on the House Science Committee. He also believes science is "all lies from the pit of hell" - even though he is has an M.D. and B.S. in chemistry.

Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) tore into scientists as tools of the devil in a speech at the Liberty Baptist Church Sportsman’s Banquet last month.

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,” Broun said. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.”

According to Broun, the scientific plot was primarily concerned with hiding the true age of the Earth. Broun serves on the House Science Committee, which came under scrutiny recently after another one of its Republican members, Rep. Todd Akin (R-MO), suggested that victims of “legitimate rape” have unnamed biological defenses against pregnancy.

“You see, there are a lot of scientific data that I’ve found out as a scientist that actually show that this is really a young Earth,” he said. “I don’t believe that the Earth’s but about 9,000 years old. I believe it was created in six days as we know them. That’s what the Bible says.”

His entire speech is here:

How does someone who believes science is 'all lies from the pit of hell' actually sit on the House Science Committee? Another reason why wiser men thought separation of church and state was the better course. This guy is blinded by dogma and his fanaticism does not serve the country and it will impede science in matters that may be lifesaving (like stem-cell research).

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:04 AM
link   
More and more strange people are being elected into the Republican Congress... It's a little scary to think that our country's leaders and lawmakers have these crazy ideas! Will this country go back to the ignorance of the past in favor of fairy tales?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:08 AM
link   
This dude. I mean...c'mon.

I read religion and philosophy and I can accept that there is a "Universal Mind" if you will and still believe:

1) The Big Bang
2) The Universe is roughly 14.5 Billion years old
3) Evolution
4) There might actually be "other intelligent life" in the Universe
5) That there may be more than one "Universe"
6) That science is NOT a religion, it is a search for facts.
7) The only "magic" in the Universe is mathematics and music.

Einstein once said that in his opinion, there was so much order to the Universe, there was probably an intelligent mind behind it's creation.

When I see leaders still living in a mindset of 200+ years ago and completely ignoring the age of wisdom and enlightenment. It worries me. These are the people that eventually decide if we declare war.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blackmarketeer

Rep. Paul Broun (R-GA) tore into scientists as tools of the devil in a speech at the Liberty Baptist Church Sportsman’s Banquet last month.

Consider the audience. He was pandering to the Baptists in the South. They probably ate that stuff up like candy. Was this speech in his district? Betchya it was. Typical pandering politician. For all we know, he might even believe his own rhetoric. A lot of 'em (both democrat and republican) do.

If he were addressing the national audience, he would have gotten further if he had kept it on science .. like why he, as a person with a degree in science, thinks that the theory of evolution is crap. But he was addressing a smaller segment so he could pander easier to them ...
edit on 10/6/2012 by FlyersFan because: fixed quote

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
The thread title and OP spin the story to make it sound like the congressman is against all science.

That's not what the guy said.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Yeah, he's just against most of it. What a moron that guy is.
edit on 6-10-2012 by CB328 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by NthOther

Notice the thread title regarding his quote is "Science is 'all lies from the pit of hell' ", and not All science is 'all lies from the pit of hell' ".

Then as an example, since the Congressman referred to Embryology, I mentioned stem cell research.

“All that stuff I was taught about evolution and embryology and the Big Bang Theory, all that is lies straight from the pit of Hell,” Broun said. “And it’s lies to try to keep me and all the folks who were taught that from understanding that they need a savior.” -- that's a pretty sweeping condemnation of science in general. You can't condemn only those sciences that contradict the bible without condemning pretty much all science, since science at it's core is a discipline - the scientific method:

"...a body of techniques for investigating phenomena, acquiring new knowledge, or correcting and integrating previous knowledge. To be termed scientific, a method of inquiry must be based on empirical and measurable evidence subject to specific principles of reasoning. The Oxford English Dictionary says that scientific method is: "a method or procedure that has characterized natural science since the 17th century, consisting in systematic observation, measurement, and experiment, and the formulation, testing, and modification of hypotheses."" -- Scientific method

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

You failed to mention the fact that every democrat lawmaker is at least as stupid as this guy, not to mention almost every republican.

This guys beliefs are no different than the dems thinking the .gov can create wealth, or spend their way out of financial problems, or that somehow larger .gov will provide freedom, instead of the reality that the more .gov there is the less freedom there can be.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by NthOther
The thread title and OP spin the story to make it sound like the congressman is against all science.

That's not what the guy said.

No he is just against science that makes corporations looks irresponsible, or science that defies his
political beliefs.

Science is not a liberal plot

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by inverslyproportional
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

This guys beliefs are no different than the dems thinking the .gov can create wealth, or spend their way out of financial problems, or that somehow larger .gov will provide freedom, instead of the reality that the more .gov there is the less freedom there can be.

Ronald Reagan spent America's way out of financial problem, FYI.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

All I'm saying is that's not what the guy said. Go back and look at the quote. You're interpreting his statement as a blanket condemnation of science in an attempt to make Republicans look stupid.

I'm not Republican, Democrat, nor anything of the sort--they're all stupid. I'm simply pointing out the manipulative use of language.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Ohhh goodness.
This guy really went off the deep end.

He deserves a Jesus Face Palm.

It never ceases to amaze me the SEEMINGLY intelligent,bright,articulate people can just totally go off the deep end and pronounce to the world in front of God and everyone else, such off the wall stuff.

I believe in Alien life. Is that crazy and off the wall?
No, and here is why.
No one has proven that Alien life doesn't exist anywhere in the universe and there is TONS of evidence that there IS alien life.

However,
WE have PROVEN that the Earth is not 9000 years old.
So, how can you go on believing otherwise?
How can you just give science the middle finger and say "Nope, you're wrong and THE BIBLE is right"????

I don't always agree with science.
I think that there are plenty of "scientific studies" that are funded by corporations who are only out for a buck.
So, I have no problem giving science the middle finger necessarily.
But you'd better have something a little stronger than some ancient book to fall back on as your evidence.

Ohh man this cult is amazing.
edit on 6-10-2012 by Screwed because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
The bible has been translated so many times it is impossible to know exactly what was in it's original text. Books were left out and lost forever. It would be very interesting to know the entire contents as they were intended. I saw a show on history channel that claimed aliens came for our gold and changed primitive mans DNA to be their mining slaves. Who knows, maybe aliens are what we considered our Gods. Since billions of people believe in God in one form or another it is not going away in any of our lifetimes. That politician was no doubt pandering. Imagine that.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Kurt Patrick Wise is an American young earth creationist who serves as the Director of Creation Research Center at Truett-McConnell College. He has a PhD in geology from Harvard University.

And here is what this intelligent man, who has studied the earth, has to say on the subject:

"Although there are scientific reasons for accepting a young earth, I am a young age creationist because that is my understanding of the Scripture. As I shared with my professors years ago when I was in college, if all the evidence in the universe turns against creationism, I would be the first to admit it, but I would still be a creationist because that is what the Word of God seems to indicate."

en.wikipedia.org...

When you know the truth but opt for inaccuracy due to your beliefs, that is when your beliefs make you a fool. If this is what our beliefs have driven us to, how do we draw the line between knowing one thing and believing another?

Do these people even realize the conundrum, the intellectual predicament, they are inviting by opening this can of worms? This train of logic? Where do we step down and examine the repercussions of false beliefs upon the progress of intellectual study?

These are the consequences of clinging to familiarity. At this moment, I begin to wonder if the final frontier is not outer space, but Spirit. I use a capital 'S' because I'm not taking about a general, vague use of the term - I'm talking about spirit as a quantifiable essence, because it seems that only when we quantify it will we be able to answer these questions.

Until then, we are stuck because we are unable to reconcile familiarity with exploration and humility. We're afraid of letting go of our past for the sake of an uncertain and possibly hostile future. Have we come so far to be so easily stymied? Such a shame.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
The citizens in Judea, nearly 2,000 years ago, were led by their very own leaders and teachers, to shout "Crucify Him. Crucify Him". 

"But the chief priests stirred up the crowd to have Pilate release Barabbas instead. Mark 15:11

“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You shut the kingdom of heaven in men’s faces. You yourselves do not enter, nor will you let those enter who are trying to.

“Woe to you, teachers of the law and Pharisees, you hypocrites! You travel over land and sea to win a single convert, and when he becomes one, you make him twice as much a son of hell as you are. Matthew 23:13-15

How did Hitler change the ideology and beliefs of his entire country? His Ministry of Propaganda and Indoctrination used free radios, controlled newspapers, film and youth indoctrination to change their beliefs. Guess what? It worked without them ever suspecting that they were swallowing indoctrination and propaganda.

Today our "teachers and leaders" lead our kids straight to Satan's side by doing exactly what their ancestors did nearly 2,000 years ago - making our children twice as much a son of hell as they are. 

What has been will be again, what has been done will be done again; there is nothing new under the sun. Ecclesiastes 1:9

The tragic thing is that this man is correct on many things, and yet the crowd once again cannot discern truth because they have been swayed by their blind leaders and teachers and are thus blind themselves.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Just ran across the story and did a quick search to see if there was already a thread on it. You beat me to it.

That guys is SERIOUSLY NUTS!!!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
The bible has been translated so many times it is impossible to know exactly what was in it's original text.

Wrong. You can go back to the Dead Sea Scrolls and see it's exactly the same as it was then.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Congressional conservatives are officially retarding this nation's growth.

All the other leading nations have conservatives too, yet those same conservatives are not godless heathens because they endorse science.

We actually have a senator in Jim Inhofe who believes that there is no worry of climate change because the bible says God felt bad after the flood and now he's decided to not destroy us!

That is certifiable behavior at the worst and religiously extreme in the least. Either way, these people have no place in governing whatsoever.

5000 year old Jewish stories have no place in contemporary American government. This is scary.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheGreatDivider

Originally posted by jimmiec
The bible has been translated so many times it is impossible to know exactly what was in it's original text.

Wrong. You can go back to the Dead Sea Scrolls and see it's exactly the same as it was then.

Garbage!
Translation is different, documents omitted Sheesh!

I can't understand how a supposedly "enlightened" country would place a blinkered dogmatic dangerous moron on such a panel. More, that so many citizens still have their Sundays interrupted with a trip to the nearest funny farm.
Religion = primitive superstition imo

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Well, just like the congressman that thought the island of Guam might flip over if we send too many more troops over there. I mean these are the people making these laws, like Obamacare, NDAA, etc. and don't even read what they vote on. If we elect these morons, then we deserve to have these stupid laws.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join