It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Republican Legislator: ‘Slavery Was A Blessing In Disguise’

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
(huffingtonpost.com)

Jon Hubbard, a Republican member of the Arkansas House of Representatives, has written a new book in which he says slavery was "a blessing" for African-Americans, among other questionable statements.

This was first reported in the Arkansas Times;
Republican extremists, in their own words
(arktimes.com)

Among his statements;

Slavery was good for black people:

“… the institution of slavery that the black race has long believed to be an abomination upon its people may actually have been a blessing in disguise. The blacks who could endure those conditions and circumstances would someday be rewarded with citizenship in the greatest nation ever established upon the face of the Earth.” (Pages 183-89)

If you think slavery was bad, you should have seen Africa:

African Americans must “understand that even while in the throes of slavery, their lives as Americans are likely much better than they ever would have enjoyed living in sub-Saharan Africa.”

“Knowing what we know today about life on the African continent, would an existence spent in slavery have been any crueler than a life spent in sub-Saharan Africa?” (Pages 93 and 189)

Black people are ignorant:

“Wouldn’t life for blacks in America today be more enjoyable and successful if they would only learn to appreciate the value of a good education?” (Page 184)

Integration was bad for white people

“… one of the stated purposes of school integration was to bring black students up to a level close to that of white students. But, to the great disappointment of everyone, the results of this theory worked exactly in reverse of its intended purpose, and instead of black students rising to the educational levels previously attained by white students, the white students dropped to the level of black students. To make matters worse the lack of discipline and ambition of black students soon became shared by their white classmates, and our educational system has been in a steady decline ever since.” (Page 27)

It's basically hopeless.

“… will it ever become possible for black people in the United States of America to firmly establish themselves as inclusive and contributing members of society within this country?” (Page 187)

Immigration is bad.

...the immigration issue, both legal and illegal... will lead to planned wars or extermination. Although now this seems to be barbaric and uncivilized, it will at some point become as necessary as eating and breathing." (Page 9)

Don't forget Nazi Germany.

"American Christians are assuming a similar stance as did the citizens of Germany during Hitler's rise to power." (Page 158)

Also reported by Talkbusiness.net;
Rep. Jon Hubbard: Slavery ‘A Blessing In Disguise’
(talkbusiness.net)

Does this guy deserve to hold office? Can he call himself a 'representative' of all the people with such views? Does this demonstrate the further extremism of the hard right? Why has the Republican party not denounced their member's views?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

Really?

Wow.

This is why certain people should never be in charge of making decisions about stuff. This man is literally insane for having these thoughts and opinions. Sure sure, there's probably some argument by some lunatic, somewhere, that supports the ideas behind this nonsense.

A good argument for insanity will steal lead to insanity though.

~Tenth

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Good points - all true.............

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   
"And did i hear you say

My country right or wrong

My countries going wrong

My country right or wrong"

Midnight Oil-My Country

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Someone should enslave him and see if he feels 'blessed'.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
I think I can agree with him for a different reason though. The contributions to American society by Black people has been enormous. I'm not saying slavery was a good thing, even a justifiable one, just that America is better because of Blacks. For example, just Google inventions by Blacks.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Well, America is better from the contributions by it's black citizens, but that's not what Hubbard is saying. He claiming blacks are better for having been enslaved because that led to them being made citizens of America, "the greatest nation on Earth". I rather doubt many of those enslaved would have agreed with his sentiment.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Who knows if what repubs or Dems say these days is what they really feel anyhow

It's all a puppet show to divide the country

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Which is why I said that I agreed "for a different reason".
Not only inventions. Hell, contributions to culture, science, even defense.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Geeaz, hate to be the lamp shade.....Oh right, blacks aren't better now. Yup, I'm gonna be killed on this. But, prove me right.....or wrong.
edit on 6-10-2012 by Gridrebel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:44 AM
link   
yet another politician completely disconnected from reality...

why i am not surprised?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:51 AM
link   
I would say the positives are far outweighed by the negatives. Slavery was the stupidest thing our country ever did, that's for sure.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
Sometimes something bad that happens will lead to something good.

But that's an idiotic way to say it.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvilSadamClone
Sometimes something bad that happens will lead to something good.

But that's an idiotic way to say it.

That's what I mean. It isn't always bad. Sometimes it turns out good. Maybe I'm wrong. I don't think so.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Wow

Every time there is a bat sh!t crazy Republican exposing his real, beliefs it seems unbelievable.

(someone always says, "these dang politicians, they're all crazy... instead of the truth "these dang crazy
REPUBLICAN politicians")

Is anyone game to make a thread and place all of this crazy stuff in one place???

I can't keep track

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:35 PM
link   
This guy looks like a Great Representative.

No matter his personal views on something that happened over 150 years ago, he doesn't look like he takes a racist stance in his job.

Look at the bills he's sponsored and co-sponsored Looks like he's trying to do a lot of good for his state. www.jonhubbard4arkansas.com... I will post a partial list.

HB1292 - TO PROHIBIT ILLEGAL ALIENS FROM RECEIVING ANY STATE BENEFIT EXCEPT IN INSTANCES OF EMERGENCY OR WHEN LIFE-SAVING MEASURES ARE REQUIRED.

HB 2006 - CREATING A CRIMINAL STATUTE INVOLVING THE TRANSPORTATION AND HARBORING OF ILLEGAL ALIENS, THE ENFORCEMENT OF THE LAW CREATING THAT CRIME, AND CREATION OF A CIVIL ACTION.

HB 2007 - TO REQUIRE THE WRITTEN EXAMINATION FOR A DRIVER'S LICENSE TO BE ADMINISTERED IN ENGLISH ONLY.

HB 2008 - TO REQUIRE A MOTOR VEHICLE TO BE IMPOUNDED IF THE DRIVER AND THE VEHICLE ARE IN VIOLATION OF THE MINIMUM LIABILITY INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS.

HB 2009 - THE ARKANSAS LEGAL WORKER'S ACT.

HB 2010 - TO REQUIRE THE CONSIDERATION OF FACTORS IN ADDITION TO AVERAGE DAILY MEMBERSHIP BEFORE FORCING THE CONSOLIDATION OR ANNEXATION OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL DISTRICT; AND TO DECLARE AN EMERGENCY.

HB 2011 - TO PROVIDE ONE-HALF OF PER-STUDENT FUNDING TO A RESIDENT SCHOOL DISTRICT FOR A STUDENT WHO IS A HOME-SCHOOLED STUDENT OR IS ENROLLED IN A PRIVATE ELEMENTARY OR SECONDARY SCHOOL AND ONE-HALF TO THE STUDENT.

HB 2012 - TO AMEND THE AUTHORITY FOR MAKING DESEGREGATION EXPENSE DISBURSEMENTS TO A SCHOOL DISTRICT UNDER COURT-ORDERED DESEGREGATION.

HB 2019 - TO PROVIDE THAT STATE PUBLICATIONS SHALL BE PREPARED EXCLUSIVELY IN ENGLISH.

HB 2020 - AN ACT REQUIRING CANDIDATES FOR PRESIDENT AND VICE PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES TO PROVIDE EVIDENCE OF THEIR QUALIFICATIONS FOR THE OFFICE.

None of his personal views are reflected in those bills. This article is simply political mud slinging at a good man. I wonder if he's up for re-election and the writer was put up to this by an opponent.

edit on 6-10-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by CB328

I would say the positives are far outweighed by the negatives. Slavery was the stupidest thing our country ever did, that's for sure.

Technically it wasn't "our country" back then, when slavery started, "we" being a British colony at the time. How slavery came about is really immaterial, what is important is how we have acknowledged our slavery past and whether we have truly extended all rights to all citizens. Some of our representatives (like Hubbard) still seem stuck in the Jim Crow era - if not antebellum South.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Geez, where do these idiots come from? Maybe someone should shackle him up and treat him as property for a while. We'll see how much of a blessing he thinks it is then. How in the world does a guy like this get in to office?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:05 AM
link   

He's saying this so that they can brng us back to those days....this is their Agenda and this is his way of trying to get the sheep to accept their fate he can stick it up his A$$ cause if anybody tried to make this B**** Right here one is going to be eating lead very quickly!!!
edit on 7-10-2012 by ldyserenity because: took a wor dout

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Slavery was good for black people:

I think that's a statement that requires a LOT of guessing as far as the quality of life that each slave endured..

If you think slavery was bad, you should have seen Africa:

It is true that slaves in America would have actually been healthier, lived longer and endure less violence. Insensitive and poorly worded sure.

Black people are ignorant:

What he said is true..

Integration was bad for white people

Again what he said is true..

It's basically hopeless.

Compared to the constant failures of blacks against other minorities .. I think that's a fair question to ask.

Immigration is bad.

No idea what he's talking about it, I'm betting that we'd need a larger context to see what his actual broader intention was.

Don't forget Nazi Germany.

Again, what's he talking about? Seems taken out of context again.. or he could simply be prone to making no sense.

Clearly he wrote some stupid stuff. And clearly it's been taken far out of proportion. But then again.. this is America and saying ANYTHING bad about Blacks, whether true or not, is insantly racist and shouldn't be uttered.

<<   2 >>

join