Teenage Boy Scout Denied Eagle Scout Because He's Gay

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:41 PM
link   
he should be denied it if he wants to be gay lat him go to the girl scouts and sue them to get in !I wouldnt want my boy in a scout pack with homosexuals. No telling what might happen, there is a big liability there.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Jay-morris

Bisexuals are persecuted a lot more than gays.

It Is just jealousy of having the best of all worlds
edit on 6-10-2012 by magma because: dyslexia

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Of course God doesn't make any of those people you mentioned - that was my point. 

yes, I'm serious.. read that again in context.. the people of the two cities in the Bible that were destroyed were, in the Bible considered evil. I'm not making a blanket statement that all gay people are necessarily evil.

At the end of the day, its a book, written by humans with
primitive human minds, that causes so much heartache and
evil in the world, and will continue doing so.

If by any chance your "god" is real, and what you say are also
the opinions of god, then i would be gutted, but that would mean
that god is as primitive in thinking as us humans, and also not a
very nice being.

But at the end of the day, religon is not not true, but us primitive
humans will always use it as a tool for hate. Be it race, country, sexuality,
sexism etc Its just a hate tool.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by mntnhooger
he should be denied it if he wants to be gay lat him go to the girl scouts and sue them to get in !I wouldnt want my boy in a scout pack with homosexuals. No telling what might happen, there is a big liability there.

How utterly ignorant.

Are you so insecure that being around homosexuals scares you?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thats all that needs to be said, they have every right to do this, he shouldve just kept his mouth shut until he left the organization.

As we've reported, the Boy Scouts have had a long-standing policy that excludes those who are openly gay. In 2000, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the organization's right to do that. Earlier this summer, and much to the dismay of many gay rights activists, the Boy Scouts reaffirmed their policy of excluding homosexuals.

They DO NOT have the right to discriminate while accepting government funds from tax payers, many of which are gay and have NO CHOICE not to pay taxes.

As a gay man, if my government wants me to pay taxes which are then given to homophobic religiously crazy groups of retards, I should be exempt from paying those taxes.

A government cannot claim to be unbiased and supporting of all citizens equally while financing a religious group that actively discriminates against gay people.

Freedom of opinion and expression only goes so far. Would it be acceptable for the federal government to give funding to the KKK? Let me guess, it's okay when it's discrimination against gay people, but not okay when it's based on race?

Once again, the level of homophobia on ATS is sickening to me. This place is becoming more extreme with each passing day, full of bigots and racists. It's extremely disappointing to see it after being here for so long and with so many posts.

I am close to giving up on ATS. It used to be a great forum, now it's mostly full of hateful Christian extremists or radical nationalists of one kind or another.
edit on 6-10-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

Maybe you could join the scouts...

If I park in a disabled car park and get a fine because well, I am actually not disabled, then refuse to pay it because I believe it is discriminatory. Whattayareckonabout that?

Rules are rules.

Making rules based on religion, which cannot be proven, or disproven by anyone, with nothing else but faith, and enforcing those beliefs on anyone who wants to join a group that receives donations from multiple sources, such as the BSA, is discrimination plain and simple.

I don't fully get your explanation. I'm sure any judge would laugh at anyone calling discrimination in a situation like that, you would pay your fine while looking like a total ass in front of a courtroom full of people.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Well, again, they were just being true to Robert Baden-Powell's beliefs on scouting. Nothing sinister here. Simply because some individuals in later times change their world view doesn't mean this organizations stance has to change with those individuals.

The original scouting was based on the military. More like ROTC - - - more political - - then religious based.

I am aware that the guy from America who brought scouting to America - - - personally pushed his own agenda for it to be Christian based.

Boys Scouts of America should be for EVERY and ALL boys. And someday it will be.

I don't care what its religious based history is.

At 65 I came from an era that was Christian dominated - - - and have watched over the years as it is correctly losing its grip on America.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by alfa1

Because, in the age of 5, he for sure had no idea what "gayness" is, and even less, that one day that would result in problems for him.

A shame... such a bigotry...

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by smyleegrl

Thats all that needs to be said, they have every right to do this, he shouldve just kept his mouth shut until he left the organization.

As we've reported, the Boy Scouts have had a long-standing policy that excludes those who are openly gay. In 2000, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the organization's right to do that. Earlier this summer, and much to the dismay of many gay rights activists, the Boy Scouts reaffirmed their policy of excluding homosexuals.

They DO NOT have the right to discriminate while accepting government funds from tax payers, many of which are gay and have NO CHOICE not to pay taxes.

As a gay man, if my government wants me to pay taxes which are then given to homophobic religiously crazy groups of retards, I should be exempt from paying those taxes.

A government cannot claim to be unbiased and supporting of all citizens equally while financing a religious group that actively discriminates against gay people.

Freedom of opinion and expression only goes so far. Would it be acceptable for the federal government to give funding to the KKK? Let me guess, it's okay when it's discrimination against gay people, but not okay when it's based on race?

Once again, the level of homophobia on ATS is sickening to me. This place is becoming more extreme with each passing day, full of bigots and racists. It's extremely disappointing to see it after being here for so long and with so many posts.

I am close to giving up on ATS. It used to be a great forum, now it's mostly full of hateful Christian extremists or radical nationalists of one kind or another.
edit on 6-10-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)

Don't worry. 6 pages and only 6 flags. Thats a pretty good ratio that not everyone on ATS is close minded. Don't give up hope on ATS. I'm sure there is a larger majority that can see both sides of a coin. Don't let em get you down. Maybe one day you'll get through to someone by a single post and drastically change their outlook.

How people post on a site full of conspiracies and have a closed mind such as this boggles the mind.

Just the few bad eggs in the batch that need to look past their own views and look at the bigger picture I guess.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:12 PM
link   
reply to post by cconn487

Someone joins the organisation and follows the rules

You think the rules are silly so you don't join

Just because you don't join does not mean you run around bagging the organisation because you don't like their rules does it.

So on one hand you call bigotry and yet on the other you call the same.

Rules are rules

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

The BSA did not try to find out that the kid was gay. He came out of his own volition. He did so knowing the consequences. He made his choice and needs to accept the ramifications of that choice. Let him start his own group and leave the BSA alone.

Yeah, and let the piece of puke scoutmaster suffer the consequences. We just put together enough people who think he deserves retribution to buy the mortgage on his house from BoA. We will now assign it to Rimsevics Konsort, a mortgage holding subsidiary of Latvijas Banka, a bank in Vidzeme, Latvia. Since mail to Vidzeme from the US takes an average of 43 days, his mortggage payment is guaranteed to be late. The sorry scoutmaster will be foreclosed on, lose his home, possibly become homeless, and if we are lucky, will become so depressed, he will commit suicide. So cheer the piece of dreck scoutmaster on. Payback is a surly female dog.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by magma
reply to post by cconn487

Someone joins the organisation and follows the rules

You think the rules are silly so you don't join

Just because you don't join does not mean you run around bagging the organisation because you don't like their rules does it.

So on one hand you call bigotry and yet on the other you call the same.

Rules are rules

I find it funny how a club where all its members are boys go up in arms and hate on homosexuality when they could in fact facilitate the means to make a child see nothing wrong with having fun with other members of the same sex.
edit on 6-10-2012 by cconn487 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
So they would allow a kid to spend that many years in the scouts just to spring this on him now?

not that it wasnt obvious that the scouts have always been uninviting to gay people, but why did his troops leaders wait till the VERY end to deny him anything?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

Christians are supposed to pattern their lives after Jesus, right? You know, the guy who consorted with tax collectors, prostitutes, lepers, and the other dredges of society.

Pretty sure Jesus would have no problem associating with homosexuals and treating them as people.

Or maybe not, He could turn them into straight people too, of course....if someone voluntary ask for it.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

Well, again, they were just being true to Robert Baden-Powell's beliefs on scouting. Nothing sinister here. Simply because some individuals in later times change their world view doesn't mean this organizations stance has to change with those individuals.

The original scouting was based on the military. More like ROTC - - - more political - - then religious based.

I am aware that the guy from America who brought scouting to America - - - personally pushed his own agenda for it to be Christian based.

( I believe you meant England above and " from America" was a typo)

The accepted principles of scouting were based on the British military as written by Robert. He served in 4 wars and had extensive military training. Robert wrote several military training books and it was these his later books on Scouting for Boys are based on. Robert was the definitive world wide expert on the subject of Scouting.

Robert was English and the principles he wrote on scouting were from his own experiences in the British Military as well as his English upbringing. His views were colored by the schools he went to, the Church of England and British nationalism which coupled with the beliefs of the church (which is the national church of England) have very strong beliefs in faith in God. In other words, it's patriotic for the English to incorporate their beliefs in God into their everyday life. Any Englishmen can tell you this.

My point is Robert wasn't just pushing this as a Christian thing, back then, this was the norm for all English and at the time for most people in America. They simply believed military service to god and country were to always go hand in hand. That's why as a good Englishman Robert had to add these beliefs to Scouting. Scouting as Robert designed it, would have been incomplete without them.

I believe it's important to understand these issues to examine the people involved and their motives. Read about Robert to fully understand who this man was and why Scouting was set up as it was. en.wikipedia.org... Robert Baden-Powell

The BSA is Only 1 chapter of the very large international scouting organization Robert established. en.wikipedia.org... Scouting

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Do people run around yelling " I am Hetero, I am hetero, I am hetero"

He should have kept his mouth shut.

But alas he knew he was breaking the rules.

And he tried to deceive with help from a mentor.

Is that what scouts is all about?

There is corruption everywhere....

I am glad they failed him. It's not because he is gay, it is because he is dishonest and a liar.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by magma

He told the truth about his sexuality and that makes him dishonest and a liar?

edit on 6-10-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Agreed. Its always amazing to me that even on a website like this - where SO MANY people are SO INTELLIGENT and capable of thinking for themselves, these same people are incapable of understanding that the BSA is a PRIVATE organization, and can make whatever rules they want.

Just because it's the Boy Scouts of AMERICA doesn't mean that it's a government program. Just like the Federal Reserve isn't any more Federal then Federal Express.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:24 PM
link   
Back in 2002 someone in my troop had the same issue at his eagle boards, but in the end he was not denied the rank.

Then when I was up for my eagle boards in 04' I made damn sure to keep my lack of religious beliefs to myself and I had no problems attaining the rank.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by magma

He told the truth about his sexuality and that makes him dishonest and a liar?

edit on 6-10-2012 by smyleegrl because: (no reason given)

I think magma's point is that the kid went against the rules after the fact..as if he went back on his agreement to uphold the tenets of SBA and that's what makes the kid dishonest. It would have been the same if the kid suddenly declared himself an atheist. By admitting he was gay, the kid voided his status because he broke the rules.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AdaptationNation
Back in 2002 someone in my troop had the same issue at his eagle boards, but in the end he was not denied the rank.

Then when I was up for my eagle boards in 04' I made damn sure to keep my lack of religious beliefs to myself and I had no problems attaining the rank.

Is it only then up the the scout leader to interrupt the rules and decide how to act? What was that scout leaders position.. he just didn't want to make an issue of this or possibly he felt bad to deny the kid the award?

I think the kid in the Op's story should be recognized somehow for completing the requirements ( as long as they allowed him to stay in the scouts after he came out of the closet) that would only be fair, but at the same time still deny him the Eagle Scout badge. Sort of like an honorable mention. If the kid did the work yet did not uphold the Scout tenets then no, he's not eligible for the Scouts highest award. The kid would have had to complete all the requirements, which he did not.

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join