Teenage Boy Scout Denied Eagle Scout Because He's Gay

page: 5
16
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   
This truely surprises me. UK and US are usually in line with many things but not here.

In the UK, there are posters encouraging the scout groups to take their pack to the Leeds Pride (gay event). Volunteering in the organisation, I refuse on two accounts to get involved on this one - many people have differing views on what they want their kids to be exposed to in terms of sexuality and that is their choice not mine who have these kids 1 hour a week to impose my views. Please do not misinterpret this, if parents want to take their kids to gay pride or flatly refuse - both are fine but not my decision.

The other reason is that the kids are 6 years old! - that is a hell of a lot of explanation.

The other thing about the scouting movement is that they expect leaders to believe in a religion so as to be spiritual - doesn't matter what religion. When I was interviewed 10 years ago I was quite harshly quizzed because I was an atheist - they could not understand how I wanted the kids to better themselves (despite throwing some of Platos teachings their way). Anyway, the woman after me had just a hard time as she was religious - she believed in Wiccan!"




posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

The BSA holds that if one is to be a Scout he must believe Gods Word and follow Gods teachings according to His Word.



The "Secret panel of 11" - - - ruled the Boy Scouts anti-gay.

Why are they Secret? No one knows who this panel of 11 is.

There are many top leaders in the Boy Scouts who do not agree with this decision.

It is scheduled to come up for review again. I don't remember when.



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   


From a God standpoint, God would not purposelessly make gay people. In the Bible there are many times God called for the destruction of these evil gay people who had chosen to be gay, as in the stories of Sodom and Gomorrah. These stories are the most popular but the issue of God against gays is found in many places in the Christian Bible as well as in Jewish and Muslim sacred books that tell of Gods policies for Man. In fact, there is not one religious tome on God that suggests the opposite.
reply to post by JohnPhoenix
 


Does God purposefully make sociopaths? Cripples? Babies born with heartbreaking physical deformities? If so, why would he do that? For some sort of twisted pleasure? Sure doesn't sound like a God I want to emulate.

And your comment about "evil gay people," are you serious?



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by templar knight

The other reason is that the kids are 6 years old! - that is a hell of a lot of explanation.


Six year old's don't care.

They just want to have fun.

How they think about things is how the parent presents it.



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni


You're bending the subject.


I am not bending anything.

The human race is not going to die out because a couple uses modern methods to procreate.

Also - - gays can and have procreated by having intercourse with the opposite sex - - - which is unnatural for their orientation.

These repeated excuses are nothing but excuses - - - old and tired excuses.


Yep. And in your english dictionary:

ex·cuse
   [v. ik-skyooz; n. ik-skyoos] Show IPA verb, ex·cused, ex·cus·ing, noun
verb (used with object)

1. Fact that you choose to ignore because it doesnt fit your agenda.



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

Originally posted by Annee


This kid is a Christian that just happens to have been born gay - - just as God made him.

I don't buy that. AFAIK, homosexuality is a choice. Perhaps you could show me the "gay" gene?


People like this annoy the hell out of me with their ignorance!
So, you say that people choose to be gay? So, gay people that
live in countries where its illegal and the punishment is death,
choose to be gay? Its a complete load of rubbish. They have as
much choice as i have being straight.

I did not choose to be straight, thats just the way i am. My brother
did not choose to be gay.

You know what, how about throwing your hate towards the murderers,
rapists, peodos, child killers etc People who inflict real pain and death
on innocent people?

Sick, backwards world we live in.



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni


You're bending the subject.


I am not bending anything.

The human race is not going to die out because a couple uses modern methods to procreate.

Also - - gays can and have procreated by having intercourse with the opposite sex - - - which is unnatural for their orientation.

These repeated excuses are nothing but excuses - - - old and tired excuses.


Yep. And in your english dictionary:

ex·cuse
   [v. ik-skyooz; n. ik-skyoos] Show IPA verb, ex·cused, ex·cus·ing, noun
verb (used with object)

1. Fact that you choose to ignore because it doesnt fit your agenda.


OH! NO! Not the dictionary.

Some of them still say Atheists are Devil Worshipers.

I have no idea what point you are trying to make with this.



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 04:56 PM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni
 





You're bending the subject. 

Did he say he wanted to force you to ensure the continuation of our species? No... He just stated a fact - Man + Man = extinction. Woman + Woman = Extinction. What he actually said was "1) put all gay men in a desert island, and put all gay women in another desert island - 2) wait 70 years 3) welcome to two - again - desert islands". 

You know... its not that hard. 

And stop using semantics "think - know" I mean, you can do better... like saying that the "homosexual gene is somewhere in the JUNK dna".... ok, that doesnt really do much for you when your... preference lies in something beginning with... "junk". I wouldnt even talk about it, let alone be proud of it... 

See there? I can bend subjects and twist words also.


There is no chance of gay people having an effect on our
population. So the desert island crap is just that, crap.

As for being gay is in the genes, i believe this 100%



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by smyleegrl
 


Thats all that needs to be said, they have every right to do this, he shouldve just kept his mouth shut until he left the organization.



As we've reported, the Boy Scouts have had a long-standing policy that excludes those who are openly gay. In 2000, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the organization's right to do that. Earlier this summer, and much to the dismay of many gay rights activists, the Boy Scouts reaffirmed their policy of excluding homosexuals.


They DO NOT have the right to discriminate while accepting government funds from tax payers, many of which are gay and have NO CHOICE not to pay taxes.

As a gay man, if my government wants me to pay taxes which are then given to homophobic religiously crazy groups of retards, I should be exempt from paying those taxes.

A government cannot claim to be unbiased and supporting of all citizens equally while financing a religious group that actively discriminates against gay people.

Freedom of opinion and expression only goes so far. Would it be acceptable for the federal government to give funding to the KKK? Let me guess, it's okay when it's discrimination against gay people, but not okay when it's based on race?

Once again, the level of homophobia on ATS is sickening to me. This place is becoming more extreme with each passing day, full of bigots and racists. It's extremely disappointing to see it after being here for so long and with so many posts.

I am close to giving up on ATS. It used to be a great forum, now it's mostly full of hateful Christian extremists or radical nationalists of one kind or another.
edit on 6-10-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:04 PM
link   



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Sometimes...I wish another asteroid would pimp slap the earth again.



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by cconn487
Sometimes...I wish another asteroid would pimp slap the earth again.


I don't wish for that. I just wish we could ship off all the religious crazies to an island somewhere and leave the rest of the sane Human race to live our lives in peace.

Either that or just take control of the education system, and do it properly, so we could drum all this BS out of kids before they're sent crazy too.

One day it will happen, Christianity will be something that people read about in history books and laugh at, or cry about. That day can't come soon enough!



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by detachedindividual
 


To be fair, there are a lot of wonderful people who are Christians, and they do accept homosexuals. It's just the very vocal fundamentalists who give Christians a bad name.



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

The BSA holds that if one is to be a Scout he must believe Gods Word and follow Gods teachings according to His Word.



The "Secret panel of 11" - - - ruled the Boy Scouts anti-gay.

Why are they Secret? No one knows who this panel of 11 is.

There are many top leaders in the Boy Scouts who do not agree with this decision.

It is scheduled to come up for review again. I don't remember when.


I don't know where this notion of a secret panel of 11 comes from but I based my above statement on this from Robert Baden-Powell in 1908.


As early as 1908, Scouting founder Robert Baden-Powell wrote in the first Scout handbook that, "No man is much good unless he believes in God and obeys His laws."
en.wikipedia.org...

It was this mans body of work the Boy Scouts were founded on. Surly if this secret panel of 11 existed, they were familiar with Baden-Powell's work and held true to it.

Origins of the BSA

BSA had two notable predecessors in the United States: the Woodcraft Indians started by Ernest Thompson Seton in 1902 and the Sons of Daniel Boone founded by Daniel Carter Beard in 1905 in Cincinnati, Ohio.[10] In 1907, British General Robert Baden-Powell founded the Scouting movement in England using elements of Seton's works among other influences.


en.wikipedia.org...

Robert Baden-Powell is known to be a God fearing deeply spiritual man

In his final letter to the Scouts, Baden-Powell wrote:

...I have had a most happy life and I want each one of you to have a happy life too. I believe that God put us in this jolly world to be happy and enjoy life. Happiness does not come from being rich, nor merely being successful in your career, nor by self-indulgence. One step towards happiness is to make yourself healthy and strong while you are a boy, so that you can be useful and so you can enjoy life when you are a man. Nature study will show you how full of beautiful and wonderful things God has made the world for you to enjoy. Be contented with what you have got and make the best of it. Look on the bright side of things instead of the gloomy one. But the real way to get happiness is by giving out happiness to other people. Try and leave this world a little better than you found it and when your turn comes to die, you can die happy in feeling that at any rate you have not wasted your time but have done your best. 'Be Prepared' in this way, to live happy and to die happy — stick to your Scout Promise always — even after you have ceased to be a boy — and God help you to do it.
en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 6-10-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

I don't know where this notion of a secret panel of 11 comes from but I based my above statement on this from Robert Baden-Powell in 1908.


I know about it from listening to talk radio.

But - - all ya gotta do is Google it.


Based on the recommendation of a secret 11-member committee, the policy is at odds with the nation’s diminishing acceptance of antigay discrimination and is destined to hurt many young people and their families. It compounds the dilemma faced by parents who welcome the positive community service and outdoor experiences that the Boy Scouts offer, but are repelled by discrimination.

www.nytimes.com...



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
reply to post by detachedindividual
 


To be fair, there are a lot of wonderful people who are Christians, and they do accept homosexuals. It's just the very vocal fundamentalists who give Christians a bad name.


I know that's true, but it's hard to believe it.
Just like watching thug cops, you kind of know that they're not all abusive animals, but that doesn't help my perception of them as a whole.

It only takes a few to tarnish the whole group. My disgust is mainly aimed at the Christian fundamentalists, especially the bigots we have on ATS.



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl



From a God standpoint, God would not purposelessly make gay people. In the Bible there are many times God called for the destruction of these evil gay people who had chosen to be gay, as in the stories of Sodom and Gomorrah. These stories are the most popular but the issue of God against gays is found in many places in the Christian Bible as well as in Jewish and Muslim sacred books that tell of Gods policies for Man. In fact, there is not one religious tome on God that suggests the opposite.
reply to post by JohnPhoenix
 


Does God purposefully make sociopaths? Cripples? Babies born with heartbreaking physical deformities? If so, why would he do that? For some sort of twisted pleasure? Sure doesn't sound like a God I want to emulate.

And your comment about "evil gay people," are you serious?


Of course God doesn't make any of those people you mentioned - that was my point.

yes, I'm serious.. read that again in context.. the people of the two cities in the Bible that were destroyed were, in the Bible considered evil. I'm not making a blanket statement that all gay people are necessarily evil.



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by JohnPhoenix

I don't know where this notion of a secret panel of 11 comes from but I based my above statement on this from Robert Baden-Powell in 1908.


I know about it from listening to talk radio.

But - - all ya gotta do is Google it.


Based on the recommendation of a secret 11-member committee, the policy is at odds with the nation’s diminishing acceptance of antigay discrimination and is destined to hurt many young people and their families. It compounds the dilemma faced by parents who welcome the positive community service and outdoor experiences that the Boy Scouts offer, but are repelled by discrimination.

www.nytimes.com...


Well, again, they were just being true to Robert Baden-Powell's beliefs on scouting. Nothing sinister here. Simply because some individuals in later times change their world view doesn't mean this organizations stance has to change with those individuals.



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   




yes, I'm serious.. read that again in context.. the people of the two cities in the Bible that were destroyed were, in the Bible considered evil. I'm not making a blanket statement that all gay people are necessarily evil.


Thank you for clarifying.



posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by detachedindividual

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by smyleegrl
 


Thats all that needs to be said, they have every right to do this, he shouldve just kept his mouth shut until he left the organization.



As we've reported, the Boy Scouts have had a long-standing policy that excludes those who are openly gay. In 2000, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the organization's right to do that. Earlier this summer, and much to the dismay of many gay rights activists, the Boy Scouts reaffirmed their policy of excluding homosexuals.


They DO NOT have the right to discriminate while accepting government funds from tax payers, many of which are gay and have NO CHOICE not to pay taxes.

As a gay man, if my government wants me to pay taxes which are then given to homophobic religiously crazy groups of retards, I should be exempt from paying those taxes.

A government cannot claim to be unbiased and supporting of all citizens equally while financing a religious group that actively discriminates against gay people.

Freedom of opinion and expression only goes so far. Would it be acceptable for the federal government to give funding to the KKK? Let me guess, it's okay when it's discrimination against gay people, but not okay when it's based on race?

Once again, the level of homophobia on ATS is sickening to me. This place is becoming more extreme with each passing day, full of bigots and racists. It's extremely disappointing to see it after being here for so long and with so many posts.

I am close to giving up on ATS. It used to be a great forum, now it's mostly full of hateful Christian extremists or radical nationalists of one kind or another.
edit on 6-10-2012 by detachedindividual because: (no reason given)


Maybe you could join the scouts...

If I park in a disabled car park and get a fine because well, I am actually not disabled, then refuse to pay it because I believe it is discriminatory. Whattayareckonabout that?

Rules are rules.





new topics
top topics
 
16
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

log in

join