Teenage Boy Scout Denied Eagle Scout Because He's Gay

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by collietta
reply to post by Annee

Forgot about CAP. When I was in the Air Force, I'd give base tours that involved the CAP. It was pretty cool organization. I highly recommend CAP, especially for those interested in air craft.

Yep - - they have ground crews too.

I was in it years and years ago.

I'm not big on flying. But I did like camping and being part of the Search and Rescue Ground Crew.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   
Oh come on...

All this fuss about the Eagle?

I'm sure they can come up with a pink ostrich badge to give the poor guy...

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:36 PM
link   
This is one issue I don't care about one way or another. I am openly in opposition to gay marriage. But wether or not this guy can be an Eagle Scout or not I don't care, let him be an eagle scout. I don't care.

But then again, Eagle Scouts and Boy Scouts of America are privately owned organizations, they are organizations and not the government, they have a right to descriminate. Have any of you ever seen the sign, "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" what about "no shirt, no shoes, no service"? So you can try to purchase a slurpee at 7/11 without shoes or a shirt on, but they have the right to refuse service to you if you dont want to follow their rules. They can even 86 you, call the cops and have you arrested for trespassing if further action is necessary.

Personally, I don't think a gay person would make a very good leader, but then again I could be wrong, anything is possible.

New thread idea: "The first Gay President" Can a gay person run for President? I can't think of any rules against that, so let a gay person run for president, I don't care, but would the American people elect a gay President? I highly doubt it, but if it ever happens then so be it. You reap what you sew America.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew
reply to post by popcornmafia

Yes.

Obviously we don't know all the facts. But was the refusal for other reasons and the mother has decided - because it garners publicity and makes a 'good' news story - to make this claim?

Usually, in my experience, there is more to it than the media tell us.

I doubt it. I doubt there is anything to this other then the kid being gay.

I listen to Michelangelo Signorile on OUT-Q radio.

There have been several Scouts - - Scout Leaders - - gay father involvement - - - - - ousted since the "Secret Panel of 11" - - - made their anti-gay decision.

The Fundamental Religious are trying to make a point - - - and practically going on witch hunts to oust anyone left who is gay.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FraternitasSaturni
Oh come on...

All this fuss about the Eagle?

I'm sure they can come up with a pink ostrich badge to give the poor guy...

Extremely rude - - stereotypical ignorance.

And uncalled for.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

reply to post by DarthMuerte

Can you show me the hetrosexual gene?

Hey! How about the Left Handed gene.

Dont make a fool out of yourself. At least... not this often and for free - this a freebie for everyone to think you're... hmmm a little "limited".

news.nationalgeographic.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
This is one issue I don't care about one way or another. I am openly in opposition to gay marriage. But wether or not this guy can be an Eagle Scout or not I don't care, let him be an eagle scout. I don't care.

But then again, Eagle Scouts and Boy Scouts of America are privately owned organizations, they are organizations and not the government, they have a right to descriminate.

It will change.

There are many in the higher level of Scouting that do not support the anti-gay rule.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Dont make a fool out of yourself. At least... not this often and for free - this a freebie for everyone to think you're... hmmm a little "limited".

I am not making a fool of myself. I've read the research on this from the British group that discovered it.

It is a link they believe will lead to the discovery of what causes Left Handedness.

NOTICE THE WORDS: WE THINK - - - - NOT WE KNOW.

"We think that this gene affects the symmetry of the brain," Francks said. "LRRTM1 is not essential for left-handedness, but it can be a strong contributing factor."

Just as contributing factors have been discovered that might lead to why some people are born attracted to same sex.

Such as the fruit fly experiment. Scientists were able to change sexual orientation by changing brain chemicals.

There is most likely a combination of contributing factors in the development of human from genetics - - to affect on embryo etc - - - that determines sexual orientation.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I gave your post a star, and if they decide to let him be an Eagle Scout thats great if the do. Either way I still don't care. Please forgive me cause I'm not trying sound rude, but as I said I really don't care one way or another so thats the end of this discussion for me. I agree with your response to me though so cheers.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by thehoneycomb
reply to post by Annee

I gave your post a star, and if they decide to let him be an Eagle Scout thats great if the do. Either way I still don't care. Please forgive me cause I'm not trying sound rude, but as I said I really don't care one way or another so thats the end of this discussion for me. I agree with your response to me though so cheers.

I support Equal Rights. That's my position.

I've read (studied) the whole history of Scouting. It was patterned after the military - - back in England.

The original pledge did say: I pledge to God and Country - - - but being based on military - - - is primarily pledging to honor of country.

Back in the 50s (I think) the Boy Scouts was declining. A Mormon decided to get churches to start sponsoring Boy Scouts - - having the meetings in the churches - - and get local businesses to donate. They basically hijacked the organization and made it their own.

Boy Scouts is the #1 boys organization of Mormons. But not Girl Scouts. Because Girl Scouts encouraged women to be independent.

Anyway - - Girl Scouts - - Civil Air Patrol and some others have non-discrimination policies. Also the Boy Scouts of Canada.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Do I support a group called Boy Scouts of America being hijacked by the Fundamental Religious? NO!

It should be open to ALL Boys of America.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

To be fair, I'm used to British media. If this story is exactly as presented, I didn't realise Americans were quite so medieval in their bigotry

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

To be fair, I'm used to British media. If this story is exactly as presented, I didn't realise Americans were quite so medieval in their bigotry

I think the Progressives are finally tipping the edge - - - but the Fundamentalists are kicking and screaming as they lose more and more control of America USA.

Read this. This is actually a US Congressman from the state of Georgia. This is real. It is not a joke.

Paul Broun: Evolution, Big Bang 'Lies Straight From The Pit Of Hell'

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:31 PM
link   

I didnt realize there was a left handed gene... There are only 3 people in my family that are left handed. Me, a first cousin and my daughter. Ill have to look into that

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

The idea that someone like that could get elected into a position of authority, even in the Congo or New Guinea, let alone a supposedly modern country like the US, is very frightening!

(no disrespect to US ATSers intended)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog

I didnt realize there was a left handed gene... There are only 3 people in my family that are left handed. Me, a first cousin and my daughter. Ill have to look into that

There isn't yet. Just like being gay - - being left handed is real - - - it is just unknown why.

A few years ago British scientist discovered what could be an indicator - - - "the beginning of the road" - - - to possible discovery of the exact reason some people are born left handed.

There are also indicators to why some people are born attracted to same sex. The human body is extremely complex. Did you read the recent articles on Junk DNA?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:43 PM
link   

No need for that. If you want to call heterosexuality a choice, go for it. That particular choice is required for continuation of the species though, so that is a pretty strong argument for it being the natural/normal inclination. The same cannot be said of homosexuality which should tend to breed itself out of existence if it were really a genetic condition.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:44 PM
link   

reply to post by Annee

The idea that someone like that could get elected into a position of authority, even in the Congo or New Guinea, let alone a supposedly modern country like the US, is very frightening!

(no disrespect to US ATSers intended)

Yes - - it is!

And that is the type persons (Secret 11) who decided the Boy Scouts should be anti-gay.

It is still unknown who these Secret 11 are.

I am confident it will be overturned eventually.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:45 PM
link   

news.nationalgeographic.com...
You beat me to it, thanks.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

No need for that. If you want to call heterosexuality a choice, go for it. That particular choice is required for continuation of the species though, . .

That is archaic and untrue in today's world.

However - - there is nothing wrong with a homosexuals reproductive system. They've been producing off-spring since the beginning of man.

But - - its wrong and unnatural for them. How would you like being forced to have gay sex to fulfill some society obligation?

edit on 6-10-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 04:01 PM
link   
And why do you want equal rights if you're different? I mean... I dont expect to be treated nicely everywhere. My personality traits, ideals, thoughts and decisions affect directly how people will react. Theres always things I cant do, places I cant go, and even government type benefits that I cant get based in what I am, who I am or how I am in life.

Do I complain? No. Segregation is natural.

And its common sense really - If I was gay why would I join an organization that is anti-gay and expect to be treated equal if they dont look at me as equal? Besides... If people stop trying to change frivolous things like "gay guy not getting stupid eagle badge" and worry about the real issues at hand, this would be a better world.

Thing is, gays dont want to be treated equal, they want "special status". This guy doesnt want to be treated equal, he wants the church to make an exception and treat him as if he was like all the other boys there. Thing is, the church is not pro-gay. Deal with it. The damn bible even says:

"Lev 20:13 If a man also lies with mankind, as he lies with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination."

So... lets see. Was he gay before joining the boy scouts? Yes. Did he read the bible and know the church's point of view and opinion regarding homosexuality? Well I hope he did. Then why does he want to be treated "equal"? The answer is: Hes not wanting to be treated equal, he wants to be treated differently because hes different! And the laws of men or god doesnt apply to him.

Listen if a black neighborhood has a big sign saying "NO WHITES ALLOWED", I'm not going to get in ok? I dont even want to get in. And no I wont make a big fuss about it, because well... its their rules, if I'm not black, then I'm not going to walk in there. If I decide to do so, I'm stupid and I deserve whatever I get. So I rather be a normal guy that understands that "people like to be surrounded by their kin" and I'm fine with it.

Gays have "gay bars" and "gay discos" and whatever... I dont remember seeing a "hetero disco" or a "hetero bar", that would explode in every single news channel and crap saying "how homophobic that is" and all that jazz. But unfortunately, the Church still has its rules, and they say "No gays allowed" - ok, fine, then... gays, dont go in there! Create your own little gay church or something - in this case, create the Association of Gay Boy Scouts of America. And also the "Gay Day" or something - look, learn from the blacks, they even have their own college.

Stop trying to push your agenda, dont try to be "equal to hetero" because you're not. Just deal with it. As I deal when something is "closed" to "my kin". Stop trying to force your way into acceptance. For two thousand years the church doesnt like homosexuals, why would it start to like them now?

Basic human rights are for everyone, blacks, whites, gay, straight etc... Basic rights. All the rest, specially closed communities, fraternities, brotherhoods, social groups, etc are not included in these "basic human rights". Every other segregation type is allowed.

If you want to be a part of something, be sure you meet their requirements. When you dont meet the requirements then you cant be part of it.

I'm not religious, therefore I wont go to a church in specific hours because I think I'll be insulting everyone in there by my mere presence. Since I look at churches as "art", I only go there to study them in "weak hours". I still respect religious fanatics cause they have the right to defend what they believe in, I even respect racism, ok fine, they dont like me because I'm white, ok... people have the right to believe in whatever they want.

Minorities always suffer from a "me, me, and what about me" syndrome. Why force blue people to accept a red person, when all red ppl have to do is to create their own community?

Gays are different in certain aspects - deal with that as I deal with the consequences of my "difference". I accept my difference and I dont impose it to anyone. For instance, I have constantly to stay away from "NO SMOKING" areas. Do I feel segregated? Well yes. Is it bad? No. Just find an area where I can smoke.

The world has far more important issues than "gay boy cant get his eagle cause its gay".

new topics
top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join