It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenage Boy Scout Denied Eagle Scout Because He's Gay

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by newcovenant

This is exactly my point......there should be no discussion about sexual anything in boyscouts....there is no place for it....there is no place for him to anounce it.... and no place for them to deny him because of it....unless he's shooting off at the mouth about it nonstop for attention

When I was in the Army we had plenty of gays serving....but they never anounced it to the world so the Army had no basis to kick them out...and the same should be said about anyones sexual preferance....

just shut up about it......boy scouts is not the time or place to be bringing it up...and the boyscouts feed into it when they give a crap about a childs sexual preferance....which is creepy and giving this kid more ammo to promote his cause...

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Except, according to his mother, Karen, when he submitted the paperwork, the scoutmaster for Troop 212 in the San Francisco Bay Area told him he could not give him the Eagle Scout honor because Andresen is gay.

SO the submitted paperwork asks the filers sexual orientation.

I dont buy it.

I have a feeling the *according to the mother part* Is not totally accurate.

If this turned out to be A 100% true then id have a problem with it
but something does not add up.
People have been known to fabricate stories like.this to make a quick buck
from lawsuits.

edit on 6-10-2012 by popcornmafia because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
A
www.npr.org...

NPR blog source seems to be the root of.the.problem
chances of this being true.shot down 50%

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:07 AM
link   
How magnificent an organization, to receive so many years of devotion from someone despite a clear bias against one of his innate characteristics. (Sarcasm.)

I myself wouldn't have given them even a month of my time, let alone several years. It's a shame that unnecessary disqualifications still exist in this day and age, but this guy kind of walked himself into this. His scoutmaster certainly didn't help by pretending he'd have a chance.
edit on 6-10-2012 by EllaMarina because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by popcornmafia

NPR blog source seems to be the root of.the.problem
chances of this being true.shot down 50%

Local news. Includes video - - interview with his middle school vice-principle and the no-bullying wall at his school he created as his final project for Eagle Scout.

100K Support Moraga Mom’s Petition For Gay Son To Become Eagle Scout

October 4, 2012 11:47 PM - MORAGA (CBS SF) — A Moraga mother has gathered more than 100,000 (currently 291,035) signatures supporting her petition to the Boy Scouts of America to allow her gay son to become an Eagle Scout.

Karen Andresen is demanding that the organization allow her son Ryan, a senior in high school, to apply for the top Boy Scouts rank regardless of his sexual orientation.

The teen recently came out to his friends and family as gay, she said in an online petition on Change.org.

sanfrancisco.cbslocal.com...

edit on 6-10-2012 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Karen Andresen is demanding that the organization allow her son Ryan, a senior in high school, to apply for the top Boy Scouts rank regardless of his sexual orientation.

She's demanding. That's funny. I wonder if the kids gayness had anything to do with his mothers upbringing of him.

This lady has no right to demand anything of the BSA, it's their rules, they can do anything they want. Talk about anti-bullying. This Mom should read her sons wall, and then get put in a corner to think about her actions. She's the bully.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Annee

She can get as many signatures as she wants and It wont do any good. The supreme court has already ruled on the issues of gays in the Scouts and they ruled in their favor.
Case closed.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Juggernog
reply to post by Annee

She can get as many signatures as she wants and It wont do any good. The supreme court has already ruled on the issues of gays in the Scouts and they ruled in their favor.
Case closed.

I am fully aware.

I am also aware it was a Secret panel of only 11 people who made the ruling NO Gays.

I am also aware many in top levels of Boy Scouts do not agree with the ruling of the Secret 11.

This petition is important in bringing awareness. I expect this kid will get his Eagle Scout - - in the future.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

I hope the BSA never bows before the altar of political correctness and holds fast to their values.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl

Since the Boy Scouts are legally allowed to exclude gays, maybe it's time we organize a new scouting club that accepts everyone. I have no idea how to go about starting something like that, but I think it's a good idea.

What say you, ATS?

There already is an organization that is similar to the scouts, but includes all people. It's called Spiral Scouts. I believe it was originally a pagan org (or pagans send their children here), but they include everyone and don't care what beliefs you have or how you're born.

A snip from their site.

Our program, which began in 1999, was developed to be as inclusive as possible in all areas: it features coed groups and leaders and is nondiscriminatory in all regards (sexual orientation, religion, gender). The program is available to all children, and we are happy to be able to offer this option for scouts.

Spiral Scouts

I'm considering enrolling my daughter in this scouting program when she's older and if she's interested.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DarthMuerte
reply to post by Annee

I hope the BSA never bows before the altar of political correctness and holds fast to their values.

There values? What values are those?

This kid is a Christian that just happens to have been born gay - - just as God made him.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by collietta

There already is an organization that is similar to the scouts, but includes all people. It's called Spiral Scouts. I believe it was originally a pagan org (or pagans send their children here), but they include everyone and don't care what beliefs you have or how you're born.

A snip from their site.

Our program, which began in 1999, was developed to be as inclusive as possible in all areas: it features coed groups and leaders and is nondiscriminatory in all regards (sexual orientation, religion, gender). The program is available to all children, and we are happy to be able to offer this option for scouts.

There is also Civil Air Patrol - - that is non-discriminatory against religion - gender and sexual orientation.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
I have to say, to all those who are supporting the boy scouts, how can you be so cruel?

This young man, joined the scouts when he was young and not carrying about sex. When he hit puberty, feelings were confirmed, and he was fortunate enough to have a loving home, friends and scout master who were comfortable with his orientation. I'm sure these people encouraged him to stay in the scouts rather than leave. After all, he has already dedicated a good portion of his life to the organization and community.

His mother, quoting the scoutmaster, sounded hopeful that the gay issue could be worked around. I'm sure everyone was hoping this young man, would be judged on the good deeds he has done and the content of his character (as we should all be judged), rather than the biological chemistry of his body.

Sure, he didn't have to come out, but after making a poster on bullying, that earn him his rank along with being bullied his whole life, how could he not? Bullying is what the scouts are doing to him and he shouldn't have to be ashamed of who he is.
Coming out suddenly doesn't make a person less than human. All the good he has done in the boyscouts hasn't suddenly become evil, now has it?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by collietta
I have to say, to all those who are supporting the boy scouts, how can you be so cruel?

Probably because they are anti-gay.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

Forgot about CAP. When I was in the Air Force, I'd give base tours that involved the CAP. It was pretty cool organization. I highly recommend CAP, especially for those interested in air craft.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

This kid is a Christian that just happens to have been born gay - - just as God made him.

I don't buy that. AFAIK, homosexuality is a choice. Perhaps you could show me the "gay" gene?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by popcornmafia

Yes.

Obviously we don't know all the facts. But was the refusal for other reasons and the mother has decided - because it garners publicity and makes a 'good' news story - to make this claim?

Usually, in my experience, there is more to it than the media tell us.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Can you show me the hetrosexual gene?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by AndyMayhew
reply to post by DarthMuerte

Can you show me the hetrosexual gene?

Hey! How about the Left Handed gene.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Annee

Originally posted by DarthMuerte

. . . homosexuality is a choice.

No - its not.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join