It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teenage Boy Scout Denied Eagle Scout Because He's Gay

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
Wow. This is simply....wow.

Ryan Andresen spent 12 years as a Boy Scout. Now that he's 17 and about to graduate from high school, he completed the final requirement to receive the Eagle Scout award, which signifies the highest rank in the organization.

Except, according to his mother, Karen, when he submitted the paperwork, the scoutmaster for Troop 212 in the San Francisco Bay Area told him he could not give him the Eagle Scout honor because Andresen is gay.

"It hurts me so much to watch Ryan suffer for being who he is, because to me, he's perfect," Karen wrote on the petition. "Ryan has worked for nearly 12 years to become an Eagle Scout, and nothing would make him more proud than earning that well-deserved distinction."

The Boy Scouts of America sent a statement to several news organizations, including ABC, in which they say they didn't inquire about Ryan's sexual orientation.

Source

My husband was an Eagle Scout, and he's told me how much work, effort, sacrifice, and time it takes to make it to that level. I can only imagine how this young man feels.

Since the Boy Scouts are legally allowed to exclude gays, maybe it's time we organize a new scouting club that accepts everyone. I have no idea how to go about starting something like that, but I think it's a good idea.

What say you, ATS?
edit on Sun Oct 7 2012 by DontTreadOnMe because: IMPORTANT: Using Content From Other Websites on ATS

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by smyleegrl

You have a good idea and another might be to focus pressure on that scout troop and leader to give him the Eagle Scout honor he deserves. If his gayness was tolerable enough that he could participate and earn his other badges there is no reason to withhold this one. It is pure meanness and a very poor example and model for other scouts to follow. The scout leader should be removed from his position.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by smyleegrl
Wow. This is simply....wow.

Ryan Andresen spent 12 years as a Boy Scout. Now that he's 17 and about to graduate from high school, he completed the final requirement to receive the Eagle Scout award, which signifies the highest rank in the organization.

Except, according to his mother, Karen, when he submitted the paperwork, the scoutmaster for Troop 212 in the San Francisco Bay Area told him he could not give him the Eagle Scout honor because Andresen is gay.

"It hurts me so much to watch Ryan suffer for being who he is, because to me, he's perfect," Karen wrote on the petition. "Ryan has worked for nearly 12 years to become an Eagle Scout, and nothing would make him more proud than earning that well-deserved distinction."

The Boy Scouts of America sent a statement to several news organizations, including ABC, in which they say they didn't inquire about Ryan's sexual orientation.

"This scout proactively notified his unit leadership and Eagle Scout counselor that he does not agree to scouting's principle of 'Duty to God' and does not meet scouting's membership standard on sexual orientation," Deron Smith, a spokesman for the organization said in a statement. "Agreeing to do one's 'Duty to God' is a part of the scout Oath and Law and a requirement of achieving the Eagle Scout rank."

In an interview with Yahoo! News, Ryan said that his scoutmaster knew he was gay.

"He had been telling me all along that we'd get by the gay thing," Ryan told Yahoo News. "It was by far the biggest goal of my life. It's totally devastating."

As we've reported, the Boy Scouts have had a long-standing policy that excludes those who are openly gay. In 2000, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the organization's right to do that. Earlier this summer, and much to the dismay of many gay rights activists, the Boy Scouts reaffirmed their policy of excluding homosexuals.

Source

My husband was an Eagle Scout, and he's told me how much work, effort, sacrifice, and time it takes to make it to that level. I can only imagine how this young man feels.

Since the Boy Scouts are legally allowed to exclude gays, maybe it's time we organize a new scouting club that accepts everyone. I have no idea how to go about starting something like that, but I think it's a good idea.

What say you, ATS?

I say if the kid is qualified enough to get the highest possible rank in the organisation, he's the best candidate to start a more open variant of scout organisation... It could also be a good occasion to make 1 or 2 step backward regarding the religion - scoutism link

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:23 AM
link   

There's a bunch already, but they're not nearly as organized or as large.

www.troop97.net...

This is precisely why we got out - I was also an Eagle Scout and my dad a scoutmaster, and my kids were in Cub Scouts last year, but we decided we couldn't support an organization that openly and publicly discriminates like that.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Simply depressing

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:41 AM
link   
I agree with and applaud the BSA for upholding their tenets and not caving to political pressure.

The boy, should have known he would not meet the BSA requirements because of his gayness. It would be the same for an atheist child.

On the other hand, if they knew they were just getting the kids hopes up to leave him crushed, that was wrong and should have told him long before he did all that work. He could have joined other BSA like groups like the Junior Deputies that did not have such restrictions.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:43 AM
link   
good for the boy scouts of america standing up for principles and moral values. God Bless them!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:45 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Interesting point, according to the article the boy's group leader repeatedly assured him they would "get past the gay thing."

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

The BSA did not try to find out that the kid was gay. He came out of his own volition. He did so knowing the consequences. He made his choice and needs to accept the ramifications of that choice. Let him start his own group and leave the BSA alone.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 08:49 AM
link   
At one point my Cub Scout master was a woman. They didn't seem to mind that so why this?

The whole organization sounds gay as is: After Cub Scouts I was a Webelos (pronounce we-ba-lows) and they overall are called 'Boy Scouts'? They are already as gay sounding as can be so why care now?

He is obviously outstanding enough to pass all their tests but once again we have an organization trying to control what goes on in someones bedroom.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Sorry, people need to read the requirements and/or rules previous to join an institution. Trying to force an institution to accept a person is a distorsion of reality, which is common in our days, but never will be right. There is no discrimination here. Not sure if making a new gay boy scout group with different rules is a good idea. I wouldn't buy the cookies if knock at my door.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
At one point my Cub Scout master was a woman. They didn't seem to mind that so why this?

Was she gay? If the answer is no, then that argument is not valid.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trueman

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive

Was she gay? If the answer is no, then that argument is not valid.

I don't know because I didn't care. She did her job well just like this kid did. Sexuality wasn't an issue in her case with the Scouts so it's a very relevant argument.
edit on 6-10-2012 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
If the kid has a brain he will see the opportunity and start a "Boyz Scout" Troop of his own....creating himself his own job/business.

I'm sure he could design some nice dresses and get a lot of young Boyz to join his gay troop. The Feds would have to give him the same support the Boy Scouts get....free Federal $$

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Thats all that needs to be said, they have every right to do this, he shouldve just kept his mouth shut until he left the organization.

As we've reported, the Boy Scouts have had a long-standing policy that excludes those who are openly gay. In 2000, the U.S. Supreme Court upheld the organization's right to do that. Earlier this summer, and much to the dismay of many gay rights activists, the Boy Scouts reaffirmed their policy of excluding homosexuals.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Can we just declare any child under 18 as straight?

I think its a bit odd, discussing the sexual preferance of children....I don't understand why he would out himself and why they would care.....if he is openly discussing his sexuality in boyscouts.....that would get under my skin.....but if there was no found basis to deny him......well thats wrong.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by redtic

There's a bunch already, but they're not nearly as organized or as large.

www.troop97.net...

This is precisely why we got out - I was also an Eagle Scout and my dad a scoutmaster, and my kids were in Cub Scouts last year, but we decided we couldn't support an organization that openly and publicly discriminates like that.

Good for you! This makes me have a renewed faith in humans!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by kat2684
Can we just declare any child under 18 as straight?

I think its a bit odd, discussing the sexual preferance of children....I don't understand why he would out himself and why they would care.....if he is openly discussing his sexuality in boyscouts.....that would get under my skin.....but if there was no found basis to deny him......well thats wrong.

This is a good point. Why discuss sexuality of people so young in the first place? They are probably not even having sex and sexual preference is a topic that has no place in public much less the scouts.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:45 AM
link   

"This scout proactively notified his unit leadership and Eagle Scout counselor that he does not agree to scouting's principle of 'Duty to God' and does not meet scouting's membership standard on sexual orientation,"

It always puzzles me why people join organisations, whos rules they dont agree with.

You see the same thing with the Catholic church, who's anti-gay and anti-female equality stance has been around since forever. Gays and female equalitarians *within it* get upset and cry that their views are not respected. Well... of course they're not respected.

Much like joining a sporting team, where you only agree with 95 percent of the game's rules.

Why did this idiot join the BSA anyway?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by alfa1

"This scout proactively notified his unit leadership and Eagle Scout counselor that he does not agree to scouting's principle of 'Duty to God' and does not meet scouting's membership standard on sexual orientation,"

It always puzzles me why people join organisations, whos rules they dont agree with.

You see the same thing with the Catholic church, who's anti-gay and anti-female equality stance has been around since forever. Gays and female equalitarians *within it* get upset and cry that their views are not respected. Well... of course they're not respected.

Much like joining a sporting team, where you only agree with 95 percent of the game's rules.

Why did this idiot join the BSA anyway?

No kidding ,reminds me of this case here.. A Muslim woman joins a Catholic University and then complains about the crosses at the school

link

Crosses in every room at Washingon D.C.’s Catholic University of America are a human rights violation that prevent Muslim students from praying. That’s the complaint to the Washington, D.C. Office of Human Rights filed by a professor from rival George Washington University across town. GWU Law School Professor John Banzhaf takes the Catholic institution to task for acting “probably with malice” against Muslim students in a 60-page complaint that cites ”offensive” Catholic imagery all over the Catholic school, which he says hinder Muslims from praying Read more: blog.beliefnet.com...

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join