It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

page: 79
<< 76  77  78    80  81  82 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 09:53 PM
link   
And the law suits begin and may just have a positive effect on the future licencing policies.

La. bubbling salt dome lake victims sue DNR

Citizens filed a lawsuit Monday against Louisiana’s Department of Natural Resources (DNR) alleging it violated the state constitution and its own guidelines by issuing a Coastal Use Permit (CUP) to Jefferson Island Storage & Hub, LLC (JISH), to create two new natural gas storage caverns in Jefferson Island salt dome beneath Lake Peigneur that is bubbling.

Plaintiffs of the new lawsuit against Louisiana’s DNR Office of Coastal Management include Louisiana Environmental Action Network (LEAN) and local members of Save Lake Peigneur, Inc.

The lawsuit is against the same agency charged with managing Louisiana's more recent salt dome collapse disaster involving a monster "sinkhole" and related human rights in Assumption Parish's Grand Bayou and Bayou Corne communities.

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
More from Celestial Convergence today...

In case you missed it, go back to the end of the previous page for the last update before this one.

SOURCE #1 - Celestial Convergence

April 17, 2013 - UNITED STATES - Bulldozers and men have been at work building the next phase of a 1.5-mile-long berm and upgraded levee system aimed at containing the briney and oily contents of the Assumption Parish sinkhole.

Black geotextile fabric and white geosynthetic liner — about 7,800 linear feet of each — are being laid on top of a sand base that was finished in February, Texas Brine Co. officials said in a written response to questions. The white liner contains a special clay and is used to contain landfills and ponds.

Bulldozers are then spreading and compacting clay on top of the liner and the fabric, an estimated 7,300 cubic yards in all, company officials said.

Conservation Commissioner Jim Welsh ordered construction of the containment system last year as the primary means of keeping the oil and briney water feeding into the sinkhole from below from infiltrating surrounding cypress forests and scenic bayous.

Once completed by July 1 with limestone and drainage structures for heavy rain, the berm will contain 71 acres encompassing the growing 13-acre sinkhole, rise to 5.5 feet above ground level and have a designed lifespan of at least 20 years, Texas Brine officials said in their written statement.

SOURCE #2 - The Advocate

GEOLOGICAL UPHEAVAL: Tracking Developments At The Giant Louisiana Sinkhole - Officials Declare That The Hole Is "Likely To Be Permanent" And Will Take Thousands Of Years To Fill In?!

Tom Killeen, state Department of Environmental Inspection Division administrator, said it is likely the briney water in the sinkhole will freshen over time from inflowing groundwater.

Monitoring around the berm containment area will continue at least until the sinkhole water becomes homogeneous with the surrounding waterways, but there is no way to know how long that will take, he said.

“I foresee a longterm monitoring plan staying in place,” Killeen said.

Texas Brine officials, who will oversee the berm, said in a statement that filling the sinkhole would not be viable currently due to the sheer volume of the hole, the massive truck traffic required to fill it and the large hole that would be left where fill would be removed.

Conservation officials said they have discussed filling the hole, which has a volume of 1.2 million cubic yards, but are waiting on new seismic data to see what impact the dirt’s added weight would have on the rumbling fractured rock zone lying underneath the sinkhole.

=================================================

Conservation officials said that over the very long term — they were asked about a span over hundreds to thousands of years — the sinkhole is likely to fill in or become indistinguishable from the land around it, given Louisiana’s soft soils and frequent floods.

edit on 17-4-2013 by happykat39 because: added info

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
You know, I don't want to be the idiot here....LOL but maybe I can't help myself.....
what kind of sense does it make: the fracking, the drilling, at the expense of the people we are supposedly trying to supply the energy needed to live their current lives?
Am I the only one who sees this duplicitous dichotomy, or what?

Ancient, covered volcano, batholith, whatever......
It's become quite obvious, logically, that there is much more to this.
Even just using it as a way to point a finger and blame no longer makes sense...
I mean, if you had control over all this, and you're destroying the planet and therefore the population that requires its subsistence, then what would be the goal? Anyone in this are who went through Katrina knows what apocalyptic times look, function and feel like......and none of us will survive, suitcase full of cash or not....for when it comes to that there is nothing all that cash can buy......
So, I'm just posing the question:
Why: If it is perpetrated on purpose, where are those who are perpetrating it going to go?????? and that begs the question, are we really where we are told and think we are, right now? I know that sounds crazy, but just think about it for a nanosecond, bc that's all it takes for the doubtr to set in.....

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Well, we all kmw how well those levees hold up when Mother Nature throws LA her best shot! Let's hope it helps.

Thanks for keeping us updated in the midst of ll the other madness in the news. I'd quite forgotten about this until you posted, so thanks for that!!

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 09:45 PM
link   
yet... in another article, I believe they said that the hole was all filled up with debris from the collapsed walls except for about 300 feet/metres at the top. That was in the latest sonar readings they said they took. I cannot remember if I dreamed this or not, but I think not.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

I seen Katrina first hand, i experienced Katrina first hand. No power for a month. No news except what is coming through the radio. Thousands of people taken out of the water laden city and placed in my town nearby NOLA.

You are right, no one will survive. You either die initially or die in the aftermath.

We will be having a storm pass through Friday so keep your eyes on the graphs ladies and gents.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Slough in last night, an coincidently the geoPhones were off.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 06:21 PM
link   
I cannot remember if anyone has mentioned that there is a Baton Rouge Fault System which runs under the area consisting of at least 2 faults. There are a couple of papers saying that ground water (and I assume rising gas too?) moves along these faults.

Of course, it does not mean that they are active or that they will move or anything. Just thought it should be put into the mix of different things which may be relevant at some point.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
If you clicked Kat's Celestial Convergence link you would have read this:

While virtually fresh at the surface, the sinkhole’s deepest waters have a projected salinity that would be about 25 percent salt by volume. The ocean has a salinity of 3.5 percent. Salinity in some parts of the Great Salt Lake in Utah reaches 28 percent, according to the U.S. Geological Survey Utah Water Science Center.
The saline percentage is high. To high for fish to live. To me that says this hole will not be a fisherman's paradise for years.

posted on Apr, 18 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by CajunBoy
Slough in last night, an coincidently the geoPhones were off.
I saw that. Here is the up date:

There was a “burp” within the sinkhole this morning as well as a slough in on the east side (of which measurements are not yet available). Water in the sinkhole continues to move which is an indication that this event is not over. The installation of the seismic equipment and implementation of the code system are essential in indicating that events like this will happen before they actually do.
Morning Sickness at Lake FUBAR Bayou Bugle has dedicated itself to bringing all the latest news on the sinkhole. Good read with a sense of humor.... I know the sinkhole isn't funny but ......

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Digging around a little more for some larger context and to see if anything else interesting might shake out, I've come across this interesting article from 2009:

Gulf of Mexico

Some of the more relevant portions

The Gulf of Mexico is a small ocean basin. Its basement consists of several crustal types, including basaltic oceanic crust, highly stretched continental crust and modestly stretched continental crust

All along the coast, what we know of as land is nothing more than river and bayou deposited sediments that have built up layer over layer for millions of years. This lies atop an ancient evaporated sea's salt beds.

5. Geopressurization:
Rapid burial of older, commonly muddy sediment caused build up of fluid pressure within the thick basin fill. This geopressurization decreased mechanical strength of the sediment, facilitating structural deformation. It also generated strong pressure gradients that directed fluids up and out of the deep basin towards the shallow sand bodies of the basin margin.

As the land above gets heavier it squeeze more fluids and their suspended gases out of the deeper parts of the lower sedimentary layers. This effect would be heightened by further pressure from below.

Migration

It has long been recognized that the principal GOM source rocks lie far beneath the center of mass of reservoired hydrocarbons. Large-scale upward migration of thousands of meters is commonly required, especially in the Cenozoic reservoirs that contain the bulk of the oil and gas. Here, structures created by the long history of gravity tectonics acting on the salt and overpressured mudstone have played a critical role. Faults, salt bodies, and welds created pathways that extend through source rocks many kilometers into overlying Cenozoic sediments (Fig. 3). The long history of formation and reactivation of these growth structures provided condiuts that were ready and available when pulses of peak generation provided a charge of movable hydrocarbons.
emphasis mine

This seems to be implying that as more hydrocarbons (oil etc) are created in the lower layers, it continues to move into the upper layers of sediments through natural faults in the salt beds. This seems to imply abiotic oil.

Take a look at the crustal boundary line and make note of it's location in comparison to the coast. At one point int the past, the coast was further back and what we think of as coastal areas now were once open ocean.

This means there could be methane hydrate deposits beneath the northern coastal areas of the Gulf of Mexico.

These deposited are formed at precise temperatures and pressures, if one of those variables changes (up for temp, down for pressure) , the deposit will disassociate into it's gaseous state.

Don't know if anyone remembers this thread:

Fountains of Methane 1000m across Erupt From Arctic Ice!

Not sure if a cause was ever found for this but I may go rooting around in that rabbit hole later to see what I can find.

Anyway, if whatever caused these methane fountains were to do something similar under, say Louisiana, what would it look like?

Remember my champagne analogy?

What if there's a hydrate deposit down near where the salt dome base is and it has been disturbed by the collapsed cavern?
edit on 20-4-2013 by jadedANDcynical because: Fixed ex tag

posted on Apr, 20 2013 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

That is some impressive research. Keep up the good work. Too bad we can only give one star per post because you earned a lot more than that with your last reply.

I think Rezlooper would also be interested in that old thread you dug up for his methane thread.

posted on Apr, 21 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Ok, I went camping up in the Bayou Corne area last night. Just a horrible stench. On my way back home south of Bayou Corne over my town of Thibodaux, seen two black hawks helicopters going north. Nearest military base is 60 miles away in New Orleans. Though it is not common to see military aircraft around here, it is disheartening. I've seen everything from Blackhawks to fighter jets flying low.
edit on 21-4-2013 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Ok, finally behind a PC. Work has been getting the better of me. This video was filmed April 18, 2013. You wana know what a slough in and sinking trees looks like at the sinkhole? Well finally we have footage. Watch the trees in the background.

This here ladies and gentlemen is an atrocity towards nature. Those cypress trees are well over 100 years old and the soil does not look healthy.
edit on 22-4-2013 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   
WOW! What an eerie video.

Thanks for posting.

Have you come across any information about the wildlife in the area? I would imagine most wildlife would have moved away from this location.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

I'm sure a lot of wildlife got the hell out of there. Where I was 3 miles away camping all kinds of wildlife.

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 05:14 PM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

Incredible CB. I figured it was timber and a big splash. That was actually creepy, it was just sucked down.

The water is still moving like tides.

edit on 22-4-2013 by AuntB because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2013 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB
reply to post by CajunBoy

Incredible CB. I figured it was timber and a big splash. That was actually creepy, it was just sucked down.

The water is still moving like tides.

edit on 22-4-2013 by AuntB because: (no reason given)

Good observation on the tides. Essentially what it is is a small tidal wave. When the earth slides in, it creates a miniature tidal wave displacing water. What I want to see is footage of a burp.

edit on 22-4-2013 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
I watched the video to, that just blew my mind. I'm sure it is stated on here somewhere, however.......does anyone know about how deep it is? It's kind of hard to tell how tall the trees are, cypress get pretty tall. To me the first trees go all the way under, and the trees further back still have the tops out of the water.

And the wave action from that is just eerie. I'd also like to see what a burp looks like.

posted on Apr, 23 2013 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

Last time it was stated, the center of the sinkhole is 499ft deep. At the edges, I am not sure.

new topics

top topics

<< 76  77  78    80  81  82 >>

join