Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

page: 74
<< 71  72  73    75  76  77 >>

join

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
There is another new update from Celestial Convergence referencing back to The Advocate and station WAFB. Once again, there is not enough new information to justify a full posting. You can check it out at the links above.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Thanks for the links buddy! I had actually run across the document of wells and such before but all of my shortcuts are on the computer at the ex's place and I couldn't recall where I found it.

Yeah this hole is a nasty mess to be sure and I cannot even imagine that happening here but it could. If one of the domes around here cracked and split causing a similar situation, the impact would be a lot more severe.

Not to downplay what's happening to CB , his family and friends and the people in the area, but our population density is a lot higher and there are a lot of critical infrastructure.

That anyone has to be affected by something like this is horrible and I feel for the people directly in the path of this gaping maw in the earth caused by a combination of greed and stupidity.

Back to searching...

reply to post by qmantoo

Q! You've done t again...you've jogged something in my mind!

I did a thread a while back on this that never really got much response; not fishing for any now, just feel this is relevant.

Regarding the mining of hydrates, I think I recall something about the possibility of the entire deposit "unzipping" similar to the way of a sweater coming unravelled if you pull on just the right string.

The way the methane crystallizes affected how it liberates from that state. If you begin "pulling on the string" as it were by mining the hydrate deposit, you start a chain reaction in which the entire formation is evaporated.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't that be a Very. Bad. Thing?
edit on 1-4-2013 by jadedANDcynical because: Fixed linky, apologies!
edit on 1-4-2013 by jadedANDcynical because: Typos

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Jaded, your link is broke.

I did a thread a while back on this that never really got much response; not fishing for any now, just feel this is relevant.
Could you please fix so I can read. Thanks B

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I'm just popping in to say I'm still here. I took somewhat of a sybatical for the last week. But, I'm relieved to see things have not dramatically got worse. When I get home I will go back and read in depth. Thank you all for putting in your time and effort to try and keep the facts coming on this. I know I'm pretty far away from it, but it will affect me, everyone for that matter.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Okay it seems like we are waiting for some good up-dates we are all thinking & researching. I have been digging and I have a question..... did we miss this article???? Gas found in aquifer previously Highlights to the article...

The latest release of natural gas discovered in an underground aquifer near Bayou Corne may be the third time in the past 13 years that gas has been loosed in shallow formations over or near the subterranean Napoleonville salt dome, according to a review of regulatory filings.
This tells me that this whole dome has issues. I would have thought the sinkhole was the start but this is the 3rd time. I found a quote from a local who mentioned the "third time" and started digging. The article above is a keeper.

I am slowly working my way through all the links in this article.
Original name of the Bayou Corne salt dome — HOOKER well — VULCAN well
This was originally a Hooker well. Hooker chemicals is best known for Love Canal. It just bothers me that these companies had products near something that failed eventually. I hope that makes sense.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 03:45 PM
link   
So Many things happening going on today.

4:05p ET

The Office of Conservation, in consultation with Assumption Parish Incident Command, is advising the public that the Oxy 3/sinkhole monitoring alert status has been raised to Code 2 – requiring all work directly in and over the sinkhole to cease until further notice. Seismic monitoring has detected elevated subsurface activity in the area around the sinkhole and Oxy 3 area indicative of fluid and gas movement below the sinkhole and water movement has been observed at the sinkhole surface. The seismic activity is limited to the Oxy 3/sinkhole area, showing no indication of impact to the Oxy 1 area. Monitoring is constantly ongoing in the area and Conservation will continue to advise the public of significant changes in subsurface conditions

Source

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I was just checking the helicorders and they do look very active. I have a difficult time figuring out if some of what I see

is man made. But it looks to me like what is there is the sinkhole doing bad bad things.

Can anyone else confirm this?

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Have you guys read this 18 March 2013 legislative briefing? I've tried to keep up with this thread, but could have missed this. If it's old news, please forgive me.

First, this is an overlay of the sinkhole area. Look closely at the Oxy 3 (cavern closest to sinkhole that has collapsed) 'worst case scenario' (green circle). Now look at the Oxy 1 'most likely scenario' (orange circle). They look like they overlap.

The next graphic discusses Oxy 1, and it looks like it was written after the vertical seismic profile VSP was completed. This cavern is only 250 feet from the edge of the salt dome, on its western edge. I believe this is a brine cavern--someone correct me if that is wrong.

What does "situation similar to June 1--start of hurricane season" mean? The report also shows that there were over 100 earthquakes back on March 13th.

edit on 4/1/2013 by Olivine because: (no reason given)
edit on 4/1/2013 by Olivine because: spelling

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
I know I should know this by now, but where is the methane coming from?

Is there a salt dome with methane in it still? (if so, then I assume it is being pumped out ASAP)
Is this methane coming from somewhere else ?(methane hydrate deposit beneath) If so then someone needs to get this officially acknowledged by asking at a meeting perhaps.

I thought that it was butane in the dome that was being stored there and "low level" nuclear waste in another one.

Perhaps it would be good to have a summary at this point so that people joining (and old codgers like me) can see or be reminded of the salient points of this disaster.

for example something like:
as at 02 April 2013
area of salt domes 1 x 3 miles
Ox1 contains ...
Oxy 2 contains
Oxy 3 contains
etc
xx arcres have slipped into the sinkhole

What is the greatest danger to the local inhabitants? The gas? (potential explosion) The sinkhole? (being swallowed up) Seizmic events? (being buried)

Surely someone MUST know someone in these companies which are in the area and so we can find out what the REAL issue is. Maybe find someone useful and have a beer or three with them?

I know it will not do us any good to know what the real issue is, but at least it is not hidden from us any longer and we know who our enemy is. Then we might be able to research on that and come up with some solutions or ideas or something.

In the Fuku thread, the members have often been ahead of the game and have exposed the lies for what they are. Here is probably the same, and although there is a lot of similar speculation in the posts, I reckon we have hit on a few truths but we dont realise it yet.

The thing I want to do is to find out from someone "in the know" what is the real cause of the problem and if it is methane hydrate then we can be aware of the scale of the problem. Currently, we are all over the place because we dont know on what to focus - hence the different lines of investigation. (which are all good in their own right, of course)

The thing that the authorities fear the most is organisation of the people into a cohesive group with power. While we are divided into many different streams, we are the result of their "divide and conquer" and "secrets" strategy and they are safe.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by crappiekat
I was just checking the helicorders and they do look very active. I have a difficult time figuring out if some of what I see

is man made. But it looks to me like what is there is the sinkhole doing bad bad things.

Can anyone else confirm this?

It certainly does look like there has been some major seismic activity at LA11, 12 and 14. And it does not, IMHO, look man made.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:52 PM
link   
HI all, busy busy weekend/day.

LA12 Earlier today.

I cannot get a clear reading of it, but it looks like a major belch/event around 19:00 on UTC.

LA12 later on

Some indication of minor movement much calmer than the above.

M.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:57 PM
link   
The methane they believe is left over from the 2003 Gulf South Event where over a million barrels of methane disappeared from its cavern from a cracked well casing.

reports showtsome bubble sites are starting to show oil patches. I can't post the article but it is up on the Sinkhole Bugle blog.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I was following the rabbit down a hole I found and it seems that each well has a serial number the information for which can be obtained by plugging the serial number into this URL add http:// at the start and place the well serial number at the end
sonlite.dnr.state.la.us/sundown/cart_prod/cart_con_wellinfo2?p_WSN=

Then the information is displayed and links clicked to see details.

Polar coordinates can be typed into google maps with Latitude comma Longitude (see section about 4 lines down named "WELL SURFACE COORDINATES GENERATED BY DNR")

and into the Lambert coordinate search at
Lambert coordinate well search 1
Lambert coordinate well search 2

If anyone has an interest, it may be a good idea to overlay the most recent flyover images onto a google map so that we can see the extent of the sinkhole and appreciate just how much it has enlarged since the last flyover. Possibly using a small amount of transparency to show the underlying google map with the flyover on top. I dont know if thats possible or not, but it would be a good illustration. If I get a moment later I will have a go, but I would be happy if someoe else did it first. :-)
edit on 1 Apr 2013 by qmantoo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:29 PM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

well now, that was an interesting learning experience

however, the more i learn about this mess, the more distressed i become ;(

so, following your lead, i plugged in the coordinates for well 016 - serial #181612
and surprisingly, it is located in Assumption Parrish and stored with NAPHTHA material amongst LPG/butane.
(i have no 'mapping' ability on this machine)

i had no idea what NAPHTHA material was so i viewed its MSDS info ... www.collectioncare.org...

Long-term exposure may cause effects to specific organs, such as to the liver, kidneys, blood, nervous system, and skin. Contains benzene, which can cause blood disease, including anemia and leukemia.
Target Organs : Skin, Central nervous system, Liver, Kidney, Blood

so, thanks for the links and the learning experience, i'll be playing with this til i break the link

good suggestion regarding the overlays, if i could help i would.
what i really wanna see is the subsurface mapping of the dome region itself.

how many total caverns, how many are directly linked (zipper analogy someone else mentioned earlier), their empty/full ratio, active or plugged ... what the real impact could be.

here's one question i hope CajunBoy can answer or anyone in the vicinity.
have the officials suggested, promoted or placed any RADON detectors in the nearby homes ??

the previously detected alpha emissions seemingly fell off of eveyone's radar and i'm wondering why.
edit on 1-4-2013 by Honor93 because: format

ps ... forgot to mention that although the 'health danger' of this material is rated the lowest #1 ... its "flamable/explosive danger" is rated #3 (next to highest)

edit on 1-4-2013 by Honor93 because: add txt

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Only methane detectors.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:35 AM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

i so wanna ask WHY ?? but i know better

so, how well can you get the word out that ppl need them and should have had them 7 months ago?

do you understand why i asked ?
if not, read this or this

i've said many times, i'm no 'official' or 'professional' regarding these matters, just an experienced and deeply concerned fellow American.

and from experience, i highly suggest demanding they be installed yesterday.
(of course, this doesn't apply to those evacuated)

however, anyone within a 25 mile radius would be prudent.
(radon is a gas and doesn't need much to travel, although, accumulation in low-lying, enclosed spaces is both dangerous and toxic)

added for emphasis
7 months ago ... August 2012

thewatchers.adorraeli.com...
Elevated radioactive radium levels caused health concerns

The Louisiana Department of Environmental Quality (LA DEQ) released the results of testing for NORM showing Radium-226 was detected as being present at a concentration of 63.569 pCi/liter while Radium-228 was detected as being present at a concentration of 18.705 pCi/liter. While State officials are saying naturally occurring radioactive material (NORM) is below hazardous levels independent testings has confirmed that radium-226 and radium-228 levels at sinkhole are about 15 times higher than the safe limits and state’s soil contamination standards.

current ... April 2, 2013
still only increased by 15x ?
or just getting around to talking about it ??

a different but relevant story from Port Hope, Ontario

please do what you can to spread the word and concern.
and put one in your car
since you're in the area frequently.
edit on 2-4-2013 by Honor93 because: add txt

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:02 AM
link   
This is from December last year but it has some great insights as to how things were going to go.
Also about the gas migrating under the homes and the zone being a "Sacrifice Zone" and not allowing people back to their homes at all. The mystery of the gas seems to be saying that it is not from the domes but from under the domes and is moving towards the surface and may possibly get into peoples homes in spite of the gas flares they were using.

As I read this really interesting article from 13th October last year they matched crude oil from the sinkhole with oil on the surface in the Gulf. It gives the names of the other companies owning the other salt domes in the area too.

One of the five other companies stores hydrocarbons, Dow Hydrocarbons and Resources LLC, according to DNR’s Napoleonviile Salt Dome Storage Cavern and Well chart.

According to DNR, Dow stores refined hydrocarbons in its 31 wells and caverns in the salt dome. Those hydrocarbons include butane (in three of its facilities), ethane/propane, propene (that is highly flammable) and liquid propane.

The other four companies operating in the salt dome are Pontchartrain Natural Gas Sys. (storing natural gas), K/D/S-Promix Storage (storing butane and LPG), LLC., Occidental Chemical Corporation/Occidental Brine (not actively brining as of Sept. 2012), and Texas Brine, the company some are calling the present "industry fall guy."

None of those are storing in the wells/caverns diesel or crude, as now identified in the sinkhole, if the DNR listing is correct. Since radioactive waste is not listed in DNR’s pdf. chart listing well/cavern company owners and contents, and DNR had authorized Texas Brine to store radioactive waste in its cavern, that list is incomplete, possibly with falsified entries.

From September last year, "Sinkhole butane ‘no danger’ reports flawed say scientists" article
I think we need to read this again since they originally said it would take a year to move this butane out to another less-nearby area. It says that butane vapour is heavier than air and would cause suffocation if it was allowed to get into the air.

Latest 27th March article on 2011 Oklahoma M5.6 quake - Scientists say it was caused by man-made oil fracking
Daily Mail
Science Daily
Since this fracking waste is what is in some of the breached domes it is relevant to the discussion here.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 06:15 AM
link   
ok guys, i don't know what to make of this because it isn't necessarily sinkhole related but it would certainly be disaster related and the sinkhole region is the biggest 'disaster' we're currently facing.

didn't find anything on the 'search' so i'm guessing it hasn't appeared here, yet.
for those who have 'reserves' stashed in a bank, vault or safety deposit box, you might wanna reconsider.

patdollard.com...
According to in-house memos now circulating, the DHS has issued orders to banks across America which announce to them that “under the Patriot Act” the DHS has the absolute right to seize, without any warrant whatsoever, any and all customer bank accounts, to make “periodic and unannounced” visits to any bank to open and inspect the contents of “selected safe deposit boxes.”
yes, i see that it's excerpted from InfoWars, but it also names BofA and Compass Bank as being advised of said policy.
please review the linked material.
believe it or not, there's more and yes, it gets worse.

lastly, i've not known Dollard to be unreliable with such information.

(anyone wishing to author a thread with this info, feel free)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

This very well is the worse disaster we are facing right now, and it can get a lot worse.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

alright Aunt B, in line with the theory you presented a few pages ago, here is a question that has had me scratching my head since i first read it.

why and how was "diesel" detected in the sinkhole ?

diesel is not a naturally occurring substance.
when spilled/leaked, it doesn't usually persist enough to be 'detected' or remedied. (collected)

none of the cavern stores indicate diesel elements (except naphtha), so i doubt the detection was directly from the Dome ... which leaves the question, how did it get there ?

could it be one of those proprietary components of Corexit ?
is it possible that via sediment absorbtion and wave/current movement, that it has been 'deposited' this far inland ?

more on diesel fuel

Diesel oil is much lighter than water (specific gravity is between 0.83 and 0.88, compared to 1.03 for seawater). It is not possible for this oil to sink and accumulate on the seafloor as pooled or free oil unless adsorption occurs with sediment. However, it is possible for the diesel oil that is dispersed by wave action to form droplets that are small enough be kept in suspension and moved by the currents.

Oil dispersed in the water column can adhere to fine-grained suspended sediments (adsorption) which then settle out and get deposited on the seafloor. This process is more likely to occur near river mouths where fine-grained sediments are carried in by rivers. It is less likely to occur in open marine settings. This process is not likely to result in measurable sediment contamination for small spills.

and if the following is also true, then why is it still being detected some 7 months later ??

Diesel oil is readily and completely degraded by naturally occurring microbes, under time frames of one to two months.

what is its origin ?
is there an underground breech (storage maybe) of which no one is aware ??
what would cause an ongoing detection ?

if it was it part of the Corexit treatment and heavily saturated throughout the region's sediments, why is it only being detected in the Bayou corne region ?

then, i came across this piece ... which directly links the fracking frenzy with diesel production

the story goes on to mention a production facility could be built for $150 million and last 20yrs, however, the 'technology' would be based on that from the 1920s

Oxford Catalysts is planning a factory in Pennsylvania, near the Marcellus Shale, that may go into production by the end of 2014, using a process known as Fischer-Tropsch after the German scientists who developed it in the 1920s

forget the entire city deprived of potable water since the shale business boomed and destroyed their future ... see Dimock, PA for details or review this.

Fischer-Tropsch systems break down gas into carbon monoxide and hydrogen and then recombine the two to make synthetic oil. From there, the liquid can be converted into diesel, jet fuel and naphtha.

so, there's that naphtha stuff again, yet, no mention of 'storage' ... i wonder how that will evolve ?

there's much more info in the article, those interested should give it a read.

i'm glad someone else mentioned that the Dome had been weakened some years before this sinkhole appeared ... while it might be a contributing factor, it's not likely a direct cause.

woah, life preservers ??? (i'm still on pg 71)
that one caught me by surprise ... i hope more than the workers heed that warning.

reply to post by parksh

if you apply the runaway train analogy, then greed becomes the fuel in the belly of the beast, not its 'locomotion'.
yes, greed has a huge hand in the development but i assure you, there is an 'organized' attack underway.

thanks for the contribution and please, take off your blinders or the darkness that surrounds us will certainly encompass those you love as well.

@ Cajun
?? really ?? the berms are sinking now too ?
it won't be long before the entire pad is gone ... is it still cracking or just the one mentioned previously ?

contaminent containment ??
doesn't look like that's gonna work so well.

ah heck Cajun, forget the detector in the car, get the Heck outta there and take the family with ya.

ah schucks, i'll check back laters, just got word of another family tragedy

so, keep up the good work and get some radon detectors down there !!!

top topics

<< 71  72  73    75  76  77 >>

join