It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Thanks for the links Lurks & Tanda. the maps only show 17 bubbling sites but reports are up to 28 I am curious as to how far this has spread. It will be interesting to hear if there is activity in Cajunboy's bayou. I also wonder how far out they are testing air quality.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Only thing i could find about air quality

There have been several tests on air and water in the area, most of which are still awaiting results. There have been reports of contaminated industrial water wells but drinking water contamination is still unconfirmed. There are also concerns of toxic chemicals in the air as well. Earlier surveys reported no VOC's (Volatile Organic Compound - specifically from diesel) in off-site air. Unfortunately, elevated VOC readings have been found on Sportsman Drive on Oct. 7 and analysis of the air is pending. For those in the area who would like the DEQ (Department of Environmental Quality) to monitor nearby air quality, call 225-219-3015.

Source

There are tons of tests waiting results the list is very long.

Here is a bunch of info on the surveys.
Most are adobe downloads.
Source

Also to note that bubbles that were found far away from the sinkhole were tested and said to be swamp gas but the closer they came to the sinkhole more of the "other" gas was found.

edit on 10-10-2012 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 11:56 AM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

ok found some Air Monitor reports

Source

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB
Thanks for the links Lurks & Tanda. the maps only show 17 bubbling sites but reports are up to 28 I am curious as to how far this has spread. It will be interesting to hear if there is activity in Cajunboy's bayou. I also wonder how far out they are testing air quality.

Oh God, not my bayou, if Bayou Lafourche would be bubbling there would be A LOT more people worried. That's our water supply. But in Chacahoula, the swamp is thick, you can't see deep into it from the road. It is still really beautiful to pass through on road.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
I was just about to post something on the order of "Well there goes another mega-disaster fading out into the sunset".

But it seems that when I feel like that all I have to do is read some of the more recent posts and I decide that I may be a tad premature in that assessment.

Part of my reluctance to write off this event as a "non event" comes from the increasing number of official press releases from various government agencies as well as the material at the link for all the testing data.

As a matter of fact, the more I read about this the scarier it gets. Now I am wondering, if the worst case scenario happens, am I far enough away in Atlanta Ga.?

I just found this site with the Assumption Parish situation summaries. I don't remember seeing any one elses link to it so I am posting it.
edit on 10-10-2012 by happykat39 because: added link

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 02:35 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

thank you for thank like will have to add that to my list.

found this in there about the eq

USGS:
– Source of seismic activity estimated between 200 and 600 meters deep
– Continuing to monitor seismic activity at the six seismograph locations
– USGS reported limited seismic activity---average of one tremor a day---direction
NW of sinkhole and other side of the pipeline right-of-way---Dr. Horton stated the
science behind the recent events does not suggest a heightened level of risk at
this time.
– USGS confirms no seismic activity in the area of the butane caverns
– Representative of the science group discussed dome mechanics and surveys for
investigatory well with representative of USGS and Sandia National Lab
– In response to Texas Brine’s assertion that region seismic activity caused their
cavern cavern to be compromised USGS stated (on 25 Sept 2012) that it is their belief to be compromised, USGS stated (on 25 Sept. 2012) that it is their belief
that the seismicity is a consequence of the collapse of the cavern, and not the
cause of the collapse of the cavern and the formation of the sinkhole

Scientific Workgroup theories of cause:
Scientific Situation Summary
Scientific Workgroup theories of cause:
• Salt Dome moving – natural migration of gas
• Failed cement casing in OXY #3 well
• Cavity Cavity Failure Failure
• Salt / Caprock falling from top of the cavern
– Natural
– Man-made made (including penetration into sediments by cavern) (including penetration into sediments by cavern)
• Gas storage cavern connections, communications by fractures
• Low permeability seepage of gas into OXY #3 (source unknown)
• Regional Regional Tectonic activity (movement on growth faults) Tectonic activity (movement on growth fault)

Department of Environmental Quality
– Diesel and dissolved natural gas confirmed in water at slurry site; chlorides
slightly slightly elevated at surface samples; data for deep samples also shows elevated elevated at surface samples; data for deep samples also shows elevated
Salinity as well as indicators of Natural Gas condensate as expected.
– Air monitoring for VOC’s (Diesel) continues with no dangerous levels detected off
site (1000’ away).
– On going Water sampling/water quality monitoring in Bayou Corne and Grand
Bayou Bayou indicates no water pollution associated with the incident to date Elevated indicates no water pollution associated with the incident to date. Elevated
conductivity noted at “bubbling site” #5. Samples indicate probable ground water
release from shallow aquifer to surface waters. Elevated conductivity is not
causing surface water impairment.
– Water quality monitoring in Bayou Lafourche indicates no water pollution
associated associated with the incident to date with the incident to date.
– Air monitoring has been conducted at 96 private properties with no dangerous
readings to date. Private residence air monitoring is available for scheduling
upon citizen completion of the Right of Entry form. Please call (225) 219-3015 to
notify DEQ if you desire monitoring.
– Collected Collected hydrocarbon samples from slurry area for comparison to samples hydrocarbon samples from slurry area for comparison to samples
collected on 04 August 12. Results indicate petroleum hydrocarbons dominated
by diesel range organics, same as samples collected on August 4.
– LDEQ Command Post on site. MAML on site collecting continuous data on
methane/non-methane VOCs and H2S.
–– Elevated Elevated VOC readings at VOC readings at Sportsmans Sportsmans Drive Drive on 07 OCT 12 on 07 OCT 12. Final Final data from this data from this
sample available on the DEQ web page, no concerns with sample results
observed, consistent with other canister samples.

They have to wait two weeks for the next meeting?

Assumption Parish Police Jury Meeting October 24, 2012

Assumption Parish Police Jury Meeting November 14, 2012

Link for all this info is in the above post

New Pic of sinhole with Depth and Width 4.2 acres
Picture

edit on 10-10-2012 by lurksoften because: looks better not quoted

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by lurksoften

Great to know, the Bayou Lafourche water monitors do not report any pollution related to the sinkhole. LOL they just admitted it is polluted already.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 07:33 AM
link   
Two new articles posted yesterday
this one is for the gas flaring to begin:
www.examiner.com...

This one, I have my own opinion about it...

www.examiner.com...

"Nation tells Jindal to expand evacuation area." or “Mainly people out of Louisiana have signed the petition,” Heilig told Dupré. Here is my opinion. A lot of the people concerned "telling" Jindal to do something. Last time I checked Paul Barros from Bethlehem, Pennsylvania or Matthew Paden from Kansas are not citizens of Louisiana. I applaud the effort they are bringing to recognize the disaster. Leave Louisianians to deal with Louisiana politics.

What this can turn into is a political mess of State and Federal rights, who is in charge of this situation. It makes me want to start a petition to New York City to stop the Soda ban. It makes no sense because I am not a citizen of that state. I do not command someone else's state politicians as much as I want them to control mine. We elected them... NOT YOU.

Sorry for my rant. I am tired of people outside the state that "know better" than we do. In the article it quotes:

“Denial from some of these people around here is astounding,” Heilig told Dupré in an email. “I’m seriously starting to feel that if they want to stay and get sucked down and poisoned, it’s on them,” she said, as some locals had expressed in the height of BP’s wrecked Macondo well Gulf oil catastrophe.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:14 AM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

From the article it sounds like it is concerned people from neighboring states. They have a right to be worried about the possible repercussions this event could and may have on their community. Awareness is a good thing and demanding the safety of others is great thing. This does not come down to a states right debate.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I have very little respect for the Examiner. It is little better than bird cage liner in it's print form.

With that said and after reading both the article and the comments after it I think a bunch of so called journalists are just going with their well known motto "If It Bleeds It Leads". There is some serious reporting and some of that is even reflected in the Examiner article but as far as I am concerned the Examiner is not a source I would rely on for anything other than celebrity trash news and overblown sensationalism.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39

I have very little respect for the Examiner. It is little better than bird cage liner in it's print form.

With that said and after reading both the article and the comments after it I think a bunch of so called journalists are just going with their well known motto "If It Bleeds It Leads". There is some serious reporting and some of that is even reflected in the Examiner article but as far as I am concerned the Examiner is not a source I would rely on for anything other than celebrity trash news and overblown sensationalism.

They got there health information from the Louisiana Environmental Action Network
www.leanweb.org...

Locations where odors and health symptoms were reported by community members:

Highway 70 between Bayou Corne and Gator Corner/Stop
Highway 70 and Gumbo Street
Highway 70 between Gumbo Street and Gator Corner/Stop
Gator Corner/Stop
Gumbo Street
Sauce Piquante
Crawfish Stew Street

Time Odors were observed
6:30 AM and 9 PM

Description of Odors
Diesel
Tar
Gas
Burning Trees

Source of Odors
Sink Hole
Drilling Operations

Health changes associated with odor event
84% of individuals reporting odors, experienced health impacts associated with the odor events

Health Symptoms
Headaches 68%
Sore Throat 53%
Nose Irritation 21%
Burning and Watery Eyes 21%
Fatigue 16%
Mood Changes 11%
Coughing 5%
Nose Bleed 5%
Skin Irritation 5%
Sleep Disorder 5%
Lightheadedness 5%
Behavioral Upset 5%
Fatigue 5%

Didn't know that the odor has a life and only comes out between 6:30 AM and 9 PM. Also, just about everyone experienced Headaces, Sore Throat, and Coughing when the last cold front passed through.

Sleep Disorder, Mood Changes, and Behavioral Upset can be debunked by anxiety of the situation. Also the disorder of course leads to fatigue.

Skin irritation is like yawning, I scratch my skin you will probably feel yours irritate too. On the Examiner they already said Pink Eye for the eye irritation.

Which leads me to all the nose symptoms. I can tell you when it gets cold my nose burns.

All the statistics I posted were from LEAN. How can we trust the statistics if we do not know the amount of people surveyed.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by BrieBird

Just as happykat39 said, not many people here in SE Louisiana have respect for the Examiner. They try and spin it into their favor. We at ATS had better explanations for this sinkhole than The Examiner.

A lot of the locals are starting to fire back at Deborah Dupre for her coverage of the situation. She has made biased comments in the comment section and her true colors of what she wants to do is showing.

"Thank you, Johnny. The difference now, however, is that this has been 100% manmade by government-supported oil and gas industries and the human population using these dirty and dangerous energy sources."

That is one of her replies to a comment on one of her articles:
www.examiner.com... 8628954580254#fb009f1ceb8fc
edit on 11-10-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   
Interesting peoples take on the Examiner. I had never used it as a new resource, nor have ever read it until the sinkhole. They seem to be the only news source that covers the situation in the bayou daily. Some of the local stations do have news but it is not a frequent as the Examiner.

I do believe the sinkhole etc.. is a local and state issue. I didn't sign the on-line petition because if I lived in Assumption that last thing I would want is for the feds to take over. I feel that the sheriff in the area will see to it that the people are protected. I have liked Jindal in the past, yet he seems to be absent in this. He maybe getting daily briefings but I don't recall seeing him visit the site, nor the citizens that have been displaced because of this. I feel when you are governor you should be tuned into your state and citizens and not a political presidential candidate. I will step off my soapbox now.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB
Interesting peoples take on the Examiner. I had never used it as a new resource, nor have ever read it until the sinkhole. They seem to be the only news source that covers the situation in the bayou daily. Some of the local stations do have news but it is not a frequent as the Examiner.

I do believe the sinkhole etc.. is a local and state issue. I didn't sign the on-line petition because if I lived in Assumption that last thing I would want is for the feds to take over. I feel that the sheriff in the area will see to it that the people are protected. I have liked Jindal in the past, yet he seems to be absent in this. He maybe getting daily briefings but I don't recall seeing him visit the site, nor the citizens that have been displaced because of this. I feel when you are governor you should be tuned into your state and citizens and not a political presidential candidate. I will step off my soapbox now.

The thing is, who to say Bobby Jindal is not doing anything? I do agree he has been doing a little to much politicing at the current moment, but the same question can be asked of Barack Obama response to the issue. Then again, I wish he would stay quiet. Last time oil and Louisiana was in his mouth it turned out bad for a lot of people.

Maybe he knows that this isn't a big deal, maybe he has information that "The Examiner" is not getting. But right now we are getting a one sided dialog that is from a human activist. With my experience with activist is they will spin the information into there favor and not care about the economical or social effect of it.

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by lurksoften
reply to post by AuntB

ok found some Air Monitor reports

Source
If you go to the last report in the air section at the bottom of the page labeled 10/03/2012 MAML Data - it shows a high acetone level. Now these tests are in parts per billion this maybe causing the irritation. Health Effects of Acetone This effects sheet is in ppm so I know they are not the same but.... the symptoms described happening are quite similar or it could be a coincident. I am not professing doom but long term exposure to toxins can build in the system. Correct?

posted on Oct, 11 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   
If you want the "real deal" on acetone or any other substance just do a Google search on the name of the substance followed by MSDS (for Material Safety Data Sheet) and if you want a saveable version add PDF to the search terms.

All manufacturers of any substance that is used in any manufacturing process or sold to the public are required by federal law to provide these documents along with all the relative data on the substance. In fact, all businesses are required to have copies of the MSDS sheets available to their employees for every chemical substance from highly toxic poisons to something as simple as whiteout or permanent markers and copier toner.

Learn to read an MSDS sheet and no one will ever again be able to pull the wool over your eyes about a substance.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

long term exposure i would think you are correct.

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 03:38 PM
link   
40 foot flames just shooting up.... quite large but normal???? Sounds like they may be just trying not to scare the public. To me 40 foot flares seem excessive.

“ Emergency response” for butane cavern nearest giant sinkhole — 40-foot high flames seen from flaring — Officials don’t know what happened

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Is there acetone coming from the ground? Acetone is an organic chemical, a ketone. I can't stand the smell of that stuff, my wife cleans her nail polish off with it. I like the mell of Methylethylketone though

They have all the fun. It would be nice to have a pipe with 40 foot flames warming the area around here this winter. Could put an outdoor icerink right next to it.
edit on 12-10-2012 by rickymouse because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 12 2012 @ 05:50 PM
link   
No acetone and the flare was a burn off, see them all the time.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join