It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

page: 64
<< 61  62  63    65  66  67 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
wow, well I'd been having trouble accessing that network in my bigger program, (not GEE) but I FINALLY was able to get it to work! Halla-ficken-lullia!

Now I got spectro on the entire mess- all LA stations. And this lets me see the actual seismicity easily through the other man made noise. And there is A LOT of noise. A lot of what you see on the helicorders is not seismicity. But lately, a lot of it is. What is baffling is the long period events- they are more typical of...of... volcanoes...

And yeah, I saw the post about the ancient volcano under LA. I am not suggesting...well...I think...umm...

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
wow, well I'd been having trouble accessing that network in my bigger program, (not GEE) but I FINALLY was able to get it to work! Halla-ficken-lullia!

Now I got spectro on the entire mess- all LA stations. And this lets me see the actual seismicity easily through the other man made noise. And there is A LOT of noise. A lot of what you see on the helicorders is not seismicity. But lately, a lot of it is. What is baffling is the long period events- they are more typical of...of... volcanoes...

And yeah, I saw the post about the ancient volcano under LA. I am not suggesting...well...I think...umm...

Yeah I've been seeing those, off and on the past few days. I even pm'd Puterman about it.

We do know that several of the caverns in that area are pressurised gas, and there has been gasses detected & flared from several vent wells. (Venting supposedly stopped due the the activity & explosion risk... *shrug*.)

I'd hate to think of what a active volcano could do to that mess in general, as there is a -lot- of butane stored in that area.

o.O
M.

posted on Mar, 15 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
I'm hoping someone can help me out. I thought I saw it posted somewhere here, either on a vidieo or text the "ppm" the methane was at one point. I thought it had something to do with that "Minden" explosion, but after doing a search I can't find it. I'm sure it's there, I just can't find it.
The reason I am asking is, I am trying to figure out how much higher the levels are now as apposed to then.

I have been going back on all the information, I'm getting confused. TMI. But for some reason I think this might be important.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by crappiekat

From all the meetings I've watched on it, I thought they had air monitors all over the place, and that there was no danger of explosion from concentrations of methane? Of course that wouldn't include if the cavern collapsed and affected the butane being stored...

After monitoring seismicity for a while now with spectro, I've seen more micro seismicity. And perhaps one longer period event. Micro seismicity for those that don't know is anything under 2.5, or otherwise, the threshold under which a quake can be felt at ground level. I haven't seen anything yet today that I believe could be felt.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by TrueAmerican

This is

I understand. But I tell you there was more somewhere. I have to take a break. TMI. I know it's there I just have to find it.

There was another story added to this about air quality.

Now I know what you guys mean about screen saving.

edit on 16-3-2013 by crappiekat because: (no reason given)

edit on 16-3-2013 by crappiekat because: too add

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 01:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by crappiekat
I'm hoping someone can help me out. I thought I saw it posted somewhere here, either on a vidieo or text the "ppm" the methane was at one point. I thought it had something to do with that "Minden" explosion, but after doing a search I can't find it. I'm sure it's there, I just can't find it.
The reason I am asking is, I am trying to figure out how much higher the levels are now as apposed to then.

I have been going back on all the information, I'm getting confused. TMI. But for some reason I think this might be important.

I have been looking but so far cannot find the comparative numbers. I do know that the concentration in the air so far is well below the 5% needed for an explosion to occur. The real worry around the sinkhole is not the concentration in the outside air but the concentration that can build up in an enclosed space lie a basement or garage if there is a methane leak under it. That is why the evacuation and the so far unfulfilled promise to install monitors the evacuated houses.

I have, however, found some very disturbing and frightening information.

This could explain the high pressure and enormous amount of gas bubbling up all over the place, not just around the sinkhole itself. If this is the cause fasten your seat belts for one wild ride in the not too distant future.

There is much more information at the source pages.

SOURCE

In a startling new development methane is now beginning to bubble up through the ground. As this disaster escalates some residents can expect to be 'blown up' in their own homes, just by turning a light on! See comments below, this bubbling is related to the BP deep well disaster.

The high pressure (800 PSI) and high temperature (400 F) crude from the BP deep well blowout has been seeping into and melting an enormous deposit of methane hydrate beneath the Gulf of Mexico. The methane hydrate expands by a factor of 160 to 1 and the liberated gas is migrating throughout the Gulf states. As the gas enters into existing underground cavities under high pressure it causes the movement of rocks and earth. Sparks from the rocks moving against each other, are no doubt igniting the volatile methane and causing the earth tremors and booms that people have been reporting in several Gulf States. This disaster is going to take many lives, if you know anyone in the region please forward this link to them.

SOURCE

"Cracks and fissures are opening up on the sea floor over an area of several miles. A number of 'pock marks' have appeared on the sea floor as far as 20 miles away from the original Macondo blow out.

"Oil and methane gas are escaping from areas that have never even been drilled," Jackson wrote.

Frighteningly, these fissures appear to be growing and connecting with each other. The methane pockmarks are growing in size. Even worse, the weakened sea floor is being heaved up into a massive, fracturing, mound. A geological time bomb, previously locked away under miles of rock, has been disturbed. Fear is growing for the very grim possibility that a methane gas bubble, 15 to 20 miles in diameter, could indeed rupture the sea floor and escape with unimaginable violence.

"This is the most vigorous methane eruption in modern history," said John Kessler of Texas A & M University. The oil contains 40% methane - much higher than the usual 5%.

Kessler found that underwater methane in some areas approached "a million times above background concentrations."

In addition to methane, the EPA has found extremely high levels of benzene and hydrogen sulfide in the Macondo Prospect investigations, the same chemicals that officials have detected in the Bayou Corne area and that locals there can smell.

In 2010 Macondo investigations, early H2S readings were 1,200 ppb - far higher than the allowed 5 - 10 ppb.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Thank you for the reply. That source I don't even remember seeing on this site. "IMO, not a good site."

I appreciate your help. But I just remember seeing different numbers and at the time they didn't seem to me important.

It was so non information.

I'll find it.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:15 AM
link   

Your second post is one of the articles. I must think more and check "ENE News" I may find it there archives.

Thank you.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:21 AM
link   

They are not daily reporting thoses numbers.

Going to bed. But I think they released some of thoses numbers when that blast happened. I'm not trying to advocate that there was a meotour. But the numbers were important.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   
I am sure this is not what you are looking for but this link has all the tests. The Minden explosion was in October so that would be a starting point. Notice how they seem to have stopped publish test results in February.

Bayou Corne Information The computer I am currently on doesn't have word so I can't really open much.

As for the volcano speculation. Yes, there has been talk and there is evidence but I guess it is just a thing I have trouble wrapping my brain around. It is easier to think that some bonehead company did a big 'whoops' rather then mother earth rearranging things. Last week or so there were articles linked and quoted that showed it was possibly volcanic.

TA- I appreciate you peaking in and putting your 2 cents in on this issue.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Ah, a big thank you TA.
I managed to get the network to show up, and can finally monitor again.

Everybody active in this thread has done a terrific job keeping us updated with factual info on this disaster. I really appreciate all of your dedication.

I was rereading some of the reports from the fall, and it is astounding how much this situation has evolved.
The high saturation levels of methane throughout the aquifer, all variety of hydrocarbons bubbling up in the sinkhole, and hydrogen sulfide releases are scary--for the people and the environment. Honestly, the butane in Crosstex #2 doesn't bother me anymore. If that cavern were to lose structural integrity at the depth of storage, the butane would infiltrate cracks in the rock as a liquid--it's too heavy to reach the surface without pumping.

The fact that they don't yet have the location of infiltration of these gases and other nasties located is the real problem. I hope the 3D seismic imaging report due April 21st will clarify the underground situation.

Anyway, thanks again for all the updates. I wanted to post these 2 images I pulled from the technical status report PDF dated February 19th, just as an overview for folks who may not have been following this situation from the beginning.

First is the conceptual model of the Oxy # 3 Cavern, sinkhole and surrounding environment.

This second image shows an aerial overview of the area, with overlays of the salt dome, cavern sites, bubbling sites, and vent wells, existing and proposed.

edit on 3/16/2013 by Olivine because: made second image a little bigger for easier reading

edit on 3/16/2013 by Olivine because: hmm, that didn't work--click the thumbnail

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Ok, It seems we have a few unexpected developments. I read the other day that the whole area was evacuated because if seismic activity. But it is possible volcanic activity???
I don't know the exact page, but, rickymouse had said that very same thing months ago.
Not that this new development will set anyones mind at ease, not in the least. And anyone who is in the area, GTFO. And as far away as possible. Cajun, I hope you are safe, and stay safe. You can't give us updates if anything happens.
Well, it is speculated on here that something is going to happen around the 20th of this month.

Happykat, I think your train wreck in slow motion just picked up a bit of momentum before it goes crashing into a brick wall.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by thepolish1

The sinkhole site was evacuated because of high seismic activity. It was done in fear that the second hole may open up while the workers are working.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by CajunBoy
reply to post by thepolish1

The sinkhole site was evacuated because of high seismic activity. It was done in fear that the second hole may open up while the workers are working.

Did everyone evacuate? Like people living there??? Cajun, you had said you live 30 miles away??? That is a little too close for comfort. Just stay safe. I'm just irritated they did this with no forethought of the consequences. TB that is. And sadly, It seems to be the norm of todays socity.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 04:23 PM
link   
As bad as the sinkhole situation is for the Bayou Corne/Assumption Parish area, there is worse brewing in Japan. The MSM has been pretty much ignoring it and the Japanese Government/TEPCO have been lying and covering up how bad the situation is from day one.

Check out my posting on the Fukushima Daichi thread and you will see what I mean.

Don't get me wrong, I am not making light of the sinkhole problem; it could easily change life for the worse for a lot of people in Louisiana even if I am wrong about Fukushima. But on a scale of 1 to 10 the sinkhole is an 8 and Fukushima has the potential to be a 20.

It also wouldn't hurt, in case you missed it, to go back and read THIS POSTING from earlier in this thread. If the sources are right about that, the sinkhole is just the tip of the iceberg that the Louisiana Titanic is headed for at full steam. (It has grown past train wreck status)

Lets just sum it up by saying that I sincerely hope that I am dead wrong about both of them. But the evidence is continuing to point in the direction of a disaster beyond anything we have seen since man first started to walk upright.

posted on Mar, 16 2013 @ 11:07 PM
link   

I didn't catch this until too late to edit it...

The text...

Lets just sum it up by saying that I sincerely hope that I am dead wrong about both of them. But the evidence is continuing to point in the direction of a disaster beyond anything we have seen since man first started to walk upright.

Should have read...

Lets just sum it up by saying that I sincerely hope that I am dead wrong about both of them. But the evidence is continuing to point in the direction of a man made disaster beyond anything we have seen since man first started to walk upright.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Well I'll tell ya what...I've been watching that sinkhole seismicity non-stop since I got it happening in spectro, and the frequency content I am seeing is well... concerning, shall we say...

Super low frequency, long period events are occurring, and registering on most stations. And I'd further venture that they are deep, cause the highs are being attenuated. Now it could be just more noise from construction equipment...but.. I thought they bailed with all the seismicity going on?

In which case if that is NOT construction equipment...ahh, Houston...we got a problem.

I mean I am talking super low, seismic low, like between 1-2 Hz. And being long period, some of those events potentially could be deep tremor of sorts. Now whether that could be magmatic, hydrothermal, or even gas pressure surging through pipe-like conduits, I dunno. Tremor is usually found between 2-5 Hz- BUT- not always. Sometimes it resides higher in the 5 to 8 Hz range, and rarely, in the 1-2 Hz range. Like when it's something huge. As in, like Toba or Yellowstone. It would take it being huge to generate long period events centered on 1-2 Hz frequencies, in my opinion.

Nope Houston, this don't look good. They are not idiots. The scientists going over spectro see this. And they know it's not good either. Can't be.

As an alternative, could a collapsing salt dome cause long period events at those frequencies? Well I dunno. Never had the occasion to monitor a collapsing salt dome before. I wonder if they have either.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:24 AM
link   

As an alternative, could a collapsing salt dome cause long period events at those frequencies? Well I dunno. Never had the occasion to monitor a collapsing salt dome before. I wonder if they have either.

By their own admission this is all new territory to them. None of the people involved with/responsible for the collapse from the CEOs to the engineers and construction crews have ever seen anything like it. And that makes it even more worrisome. I ran an industrial engineering and repair service for 25 years and I learned early on that if you don't know what the problem is, anything you do to try to fix it is likely to be a mistake and only make things worse. I can't count the times that I made twice the profit from a job because the customer's people tried to fix it before they knew what was actually broke and ended up giving me two problems to fix instead of one.

And that is what is going on in the sinkhole. Since they don't really know what is happening, they are most likely creating more problems instead of fixing the ones they have.

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   

I don't have spectrograms, but the microseismicity and very long period waves are obvious in GEE and on CERI, too.
Lots and lots of movement.

From the report I linked a few posts back, professional geologist Gary Hecox describes the VLP's this way:

VLP—Very long period seismic event (indicates fluid flow)

Now, whether that fluid is water, brine, oil or some other hydrocarbon, or gas, I don't know. Nor how deep; below the sinkhole, near the depth of the collapsed cavern #3, or even deeper?

Hecox also preemptively (IMO) lowers expectations of what may be learned from the 3-D seismic imaging:

3Dseismic investigation
– High resolution seismic imaging of Disturbed Rock Zone looking for overall
size, internal structures, void spaces. Uncertain if this has ever been
attempted on a collapse structure.

– Identify the possible gas source zones and potential for intercepting gas
– Potentially can identify shallow gas areas but this is uncertain because gas is
shallow (~100‐120’), thin (2 to 10’thick), high water saturation (>50%)
– Don Marlin, CPG, will do independent analysis of 3D seismic data
(bolding by me)

And he submits that it may take up to a year for the DRZ (disturbed rock zone) to reach the surface.
[Although, this comment was from mid-February--prior to the increase in seismicity around the sinkhole]

source
edit on 3/17/2013 by Olivine because: editting

edit on 3/17/2013 by Olivine because: add a thought

posted on Mar, 17 2013 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Not to get anyones undies in a twist, BUT, I also check RSOE, and not that this is connected in anyway, the New Madrid has been having a few smaller quakes as of the last few weeks. Not big ones mind you. I'm just wondering if the quake swarm in the Soloman Islands put added pressure to other tetonic plates. DUHHHH.....I answered my own question......tooooo early, and not enough coffee guys.........sorry.
edit on 17-3-2013 by thepolish1 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 61  62  63    65  66  67 >>

join