It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

page: 61
<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by CajunBoy
Theory, considering its vicinity to the brine pool. We may have experienced a small methane eruption. Just keeping with the spirit of methane shooting from the ground...
Keeping with the spirit? Ha ha, good one. I do find it alarming that this took place a couple hundred miles from the sinkhole. If these areas are all connected then we have an issue. I read that activity was up about +/- 24 hours ago at the sinkhole.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I'm starting to find the dark comedy in this disaster.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOtter

Otter I have read some about this and I do wonder. I know that something has or is disturbing the floor in the gulf and on the land in Louisiana. Something is has happened to start the methane to come up. Has the land been fractured too much or is something below pushing it up?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

AuntB, I would believe there is multiple theories on where the methane is coming from. Drilling, fracturing, or natural. I myself believe it's a mix between the fracturiting and abiotic oil theory. If we take this theory and put it in a natural view, the methane has been pushing up and it's a natural process. The drilling and fracturing has probably allowed the methane to come up at a more alarming rate.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB

Otter I have read some about this and I do wonder. I know that something has or is disturbing the floor in the gulf and on the land in Louisiana. Something is has happened to start the methane to come up. Has the land been fractured too much or is something below pushing it up?

The fact that no one has an answer to that question for certain is SO scary!!

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:53 PM
link   

You can't be more right otter. None of this fits into modern day understanding of geology.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   

Look who's coming to town:

Seven months after a sinkhole forced the evacuation of 150 homes in swampy Assumption Parish, Gov. Bobby Jindal said Monday that he'll visit the site where nine acres of land have disintegrated into muck. Jindal's said he'll head to the sinkhole site next week. The announcement comes after residents displaced since early August criticized the governor's absence and after local media attention highlighted Jindal's refusal to say whether he'd check out the state's response efforts in person.
Gov. Bobby Jindal planning to see the sinkhole for himself

That is correct. Gov Jindal is finally going to grace Assumption Parrish with his glorious self. So it takes a famous name and a high powered attorney to get the Gov to actually visit the site.

Texas Brine is probably a major political contributor and the Governor had hoped by ignoring the sinkhole, it would go away. If he gives it attention, the press follows and it becomes a disaster they can no longer ignore. This is what's beginning to finally happen after 7 months. Texas Brine may soon have to answer up and take responsibility.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Rezlooper

True, these oil companies are probably filling Bobby's campaing coffers along with their own pockets. But in today's economy, we are kind of dependent on oil exploration and drilling. can't live with them can't live without them. Louisiana is very rich in hydrocarbons and the amount of industry we have in Louisiana is justified. With the amount of industry vs the amount of neglegent disasters, I think it would be normal. You will get disasters like this one and the BP spill fall through the cracks of the bureaucracy due to greed and corruption. Industry itself is not evil, it is the people who abuse their position for a quick buck.

edit on 11-3-2013 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
Following the link to the seizmographs (or whatever they are) there are a couple of interesting ones for the 10th & 11th I noticed.

this one around 7pm local time on March 10th

This one has funny things going on with a couple of traces between 7 - 10am local time march 10th

and this one on March 11th is a TOTAL mess.

I have to say however, that I have no idea if these mean anything as I am totally ignorant of this science. They just look strange to my uneducated eye.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 09:15 PM
link   

reply to post by Rezlooper

True, these oil companies are probably filling Bobby's campaing coffers along with their own pockets. But in today's economy, we are kind of dependent on oil exploration and drilling. can't live with them can't live without them. Louisiana is very rich in hydrocarbons and the amount of industry we have in Louisiana is justified. With the amount of industry vs the amount of neglegent disasters, I think it would be normal. You will get disasters like this one and the BP spill fall through the cracks of the bureaucracy due to greed and corruption. Industry itself is not evil, it is the people who abuse their position for a quick buck.

edit on 11-3-2013 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

I agree with you 100%. And Texas Brine may have let their greed blind their better judgment. They most likely knew there was a problem with that salt cavern, because they closed up shop prior to the collapse, sealed it up and hoped all was okay. Unfortunately, it wasn't.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by qmantoo
Following the link to the seizmographs (or whatever they are) there are a couple of interesting ones for the 10th & 11th I noticed.

this one around 7pm local time on March 10th

This one has funny things going on with a couple of traces between 7 - 10am local time march 10th

and this one on March 11th is a TOTAL mess.

I have to say however, that I have no idea if these mean anything as I am totally ignorant of this science. They just look strange to my uneducated eye.

None of the things you are referring to in the charts are actual seismic events. The first two are just one kind or another of interference from something on the surface. The breaks in the traces on the second chart are from serious disruptions of the transmission/receiving/recording functions.

The second is from a recorder set way too sensitive. There are some small events on the third chart but the mess on the entire chart is from the over sensitive setting. Back in the day when I was first learning electronics the "static" you see on the chart, when it showed up on an oscilloscope, was called "grass". You get grass when the signal to noise ratio is too low.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:24 PM
link   

One of the possibilities that was discussed way back in the thread was that the B P Macondo well blowout was never properly capped and contained so that the oil, and especially the methane which can move through the fissures easier, has had time to migrate north to the sinkholes at both Bayou Corne and Lake Peigneur.

Most of the reason that the well blew out in the first place was the unprecedentedly high pressure they encountered. The worst part was not the failure of the blow out prevention valve. That was just the most visible and immediately threatening part. The worst part was the blow out of the casing into a salt dome that the well was drilled too close to. There is no way they could have repaired that sufficiently to stop the oil and gas from forcing its way into the salt and rock strata.

If you remember, when they tried to pump the heavy mud into the well to plug it up they couldn't pump it in fast enough to make up the losses that were later found to be from the blown casing.

IMHO, it is that blown casing that is going to come back to bite us in the butt in the long run.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Thanks for the analysis of the graphs.

IMHO, it is that blown casing that is going to come back to bite us in the butt in the long run.
So often on ATS we correctly analyse the situation and predict an outcome which then plays out in real life. It is a real bummer that we are forced to put up with so much corruption and dishonesty in large companies across the world, but we need to take responsibility for the power we have given away to them and allowed them free rein when we should not have trusted them at all.

Revenge will be useless if they have already sunk us with their greed and selfishness..

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Finally, a new update from celestial Convergence. There is, as usual, some new and some rehashed information.

SOURCE #1 - Celestial Convergence

The headline from Celestial Convergence...

GEOLOGICAL UPHEAVAL: Tracking Developments At The Giant Louisiana Sinkhole - Concerns Raised About Second Salt Dome Cavern; Sheriff Says Officials Need To Plan For ‘Sinkhole No. 2’; Giant Sinkhole To More Than Double In Size, "Could Take Out Highway 70, You Could Look At Loss Of Life"; Activist Erin Brockovich Tells Residents Near Sinkhole to "GET OUT" As Gas Pressure Could Result In Explosion!

Scientists think the cavern that failed, known as Oxy Geismar No. 3, was mined too close to the outer face of the giant salt deposit and eventually underwent a sidewall collapse. admitting a great amount of rock strata abutting the dome. This led to the sinkhole’s formation, the release of crude oil and methane gas and the evacuation of 350 people from the Bayou Corne area for more than seven months.

Assumption Parish Police Jury President Martin “Marty” Triche said he got a call from the governor’s staff on Thursday, a day after Jindal sidestepped news reporters’ questions about when he planned to meet with residents affected by the sinkhole. “I’m anxious to meet with (the governor) on Monday whether it’s in Baton Rouge or in Bayou Corne,” Triche said. He said he wants to talk to the governor about continued support for oversight and technical analysis as well as leaning on Texas Brine about residents’ requests for buyouts.

SOURCE #2 - The Advocate

Patrick Courreges, Office of Conservation spokesman, said the agency has been monitoring the second cavern. Measurements of its internal pressure and of nearby seismic activity do not suggest any sort of failure may be under way, he said.

Office of Conservation officials said in a statement Friday that previously ordered three-dimensional seismic tests are needed to confirm the distance between Oxy 1’s wall and the outer face of the salt dome. The other testing has a built-in margin of error.

The 3-D data must be submitted to the Office of Conservation on April 21. Monitoring will continue in the meantime, officials said.

“It’s a great idea for him to go. He can dispel the fear that he really has not been on top of it,” St. Germain said.

“While we are pleased that after seven months he has chosen to grace our officials with his presence, we look forward to seeing him March 19 at our next community meeting on the Bayou Corne sinkhole in person,” he said.

If it is such a great idea why did Jindal wait this long to go to the site????
HappyKat

SOURCE #3 - WBRZ

Jindal to visit sinkhole, push for buyouts

"It's time for Texas Brine to step up and do the right thing for the people in Bayou Corne," Jindal said in an emailed statement.

"Since December, we have been taking steps to monitor the second cavern to determine how close it is to the edge of the salt dome. Tests are ongoing, and by the end of April, the Department of Natural Resources will have more data to better determine the structural integrity of Oxy-Geismar No. 1," Jindal said.

edit on 11-3-2013 by happykat39 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

I'm starting to find the dark comedy in this disaster.

Wish you would enlighten me as to that

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:55 PM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Plus, revenge just begets more revenge, keeps us where we are, and the circle continues, remaining unbroken...
is that what we all want, more of the same?

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 10:58 PM
link   

Though claiming to be no expert in the matter, I would again strongly suggest looking into researching "batholiths."
There is a tendency with such natural formations, to eventually, erode the cap, exposing the lower formation, and what we may be seeing is the result. Just a thought.
Keep in mind though, a batholith situation doesn't allow for blaming big conglomerates or corporations; its a natural formation, which follows its own natural path of erosion and exposure, unrelated to much of anything. In other words, there would be no one to point a finger of blame at....something we like to do on ATS, being a conspiracy site and all.
edit on 11-3-2013 by tetra50 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:02 PM
link   
reply to post by tetra50

When you live in an area that you can die from floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, mosquito spread disease, refinery explosion, ect ect. You start to worry less about death and start laugh at it in it's face. I am 30 miles from the sinkhole, anything can happen at any time.

I myself am trying to get the word out about this train wreck, its all I can do. If I am doing my best and can't do nothing more, it is time to sit back and enjoy life while I still have it.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

But isn't out understanding of all science constantly "morphing" with the more that happens and knowledge we gain from it. Not to say that many things are manipulated, but let's hope we all understand in a balanced way, that not everything may not be manipulated--and this coming from someone who believes and has experienced that most things are.....

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 11:53 PM
link   

reply to post by tetra50

When you live in an area that you can die from floods, hurricanes, tornadoes, mosquito spread disease, refinery explosion, ect ect. You start to worry less about death and start laugh at it in it's face. I am 30 miles from the sinkhole, anything can happen at any time.

I myself am trying to get the word out about this train wreck, its all I can do. If I am doing my best and can't do nothing more, it is time to sit back and enjoy life while I still have it.

Gret answer, CB. And didn't expect any less from you. Though not in your location, and in NO, and so, understand your attitude perfectly. Thanks for the great answer, I think we love it here, either because we haen;t the means to escape, know there us no where else we would fit in, or simply appreciate and thrive off the extremes of where we live, a place like no other. Be safe, and I mean that

new topics

top topics

<< 58  59  60    62  63  64 >>

join