It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

page: 60
<< 57  58  59    61  62  63 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   
I find it amusing that the news people said, "Erin Brochovich is doing something even the Governor won't do." I really thing this is going to sink Jindal. Jindal is starting to take an interest because it is gaining traction.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 05:43 PM
link   
I think the signs are all there and have been. DOTD already has the plan formulated.

DOTD, at this time, has no concerns related to the integrity of its state roads, specifically La. 70 in Assumption Parish. However, out of an abundance of caution, DOTD engineers are continuously monitoring the state road system in this area -- 24 hours a day with roving patrols and frequent surveys. If conditions change, DOTD crews are prepared to close the roads immediately to ensure public safety and will announce appropriate detours. DOTD is monitoring LA 70 from the Bayou Corne Bridge east to LA 996. The Department is also monitoring a one-half mile stretch of LA 69 from its intersection with LA 70. In the event conditions develop that would make the road network unusable or unsafe, we have planned the detour to be as follows:

* Traffic traveling to Pierre Part and points south will be directed to LA 1 South to LA 398 West, to LA 662 West, to Hwy 90 West to LA 70.
* Traffic traveling from Pierre Part and points south will be directed to US 90 East to LA 662 East, to LA 398 East, to LA 1 north to LA 70.
* Local traffic (passenger vehicles and trucks below the posting of the Bayou Pigeon Bridge (15/25)) will be able to take LA 997 to LA 75 to LA 404 to LA 69.
* If the order is given to close the road, DOTD crews will install trailblazing signs to notify drivers of the detour. We will also install Variable Message Signs (VMS) at LA 70 at LA 1 and LA 70 at LA 69. We will notify District 03 and they will install a VMS on LA 70 just north of Morgan City.

If you see them starting to haul in signage to me that would be a sure sign that things are starting to go. That road that was tipping was not a one day fine, next day not, they watched & studied and realized what was happening. It seems they are very quick to pull their workers from the site. They shut down the work site a couple times last month. The signs are there, we just need to realize what we are seeing. I hope that makes sense to you all.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Collection of all the news stations. Let me say that again, all the news stations had a report on this. ** please note the first news station shown is one that CB already linked but after that is all the local news reports.

Funny how the testing info that used to be made public has stopped having new results posted. February seems to be when DEQ stopped posting.
edit on 10-3-2013 by AuntB because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   
AuntB, for those of us who can't watch video right now (I'm at the in-laws) maybe you could post a quick summary? Peace Otter

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   
If this is true...it's HUGE....

An exploratory well, the Shell Oil Company, State Lease 3956 No. 1, Offshore St. Bernard Parish, Louisiana, was completed in 1963 at a total depth of 8538 feet. The last 1300 feet of hole was cored and drilled through volcanic material of Late Cretaceous Age. The location of this well is shown on Figure 1. Pre-drilling seismic data had revealed the presence on this prospect of intrusive material with a density slightly higher than that of the surrounding sediments. Gravity data defined a weak maximum here, and no salt was believed to be present. The igneous material consisted of angular fragments of altered porphyritic basic rock. In cores it proved to be evenly bedded and cemented by sparry calcite. Radioactivity age dating fixed a minimum age of crystallization of this rock at 82 m.y. + 8, or middle Late Cretaceous (Austin). Bulk density of the igneous rock ranged from 2.02 gm/cc near the top of its occurrence to 2.53 gm/cc near the bottom of the well.

BURIED VOLCANO IN SOUTHEAST LOUISIANA

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheOtter
AuntB, for those of us who can't watch video right now (I'm at the in-laws) maybe you could post a quick summary? Peace Otter

ERIN BROCKOVICH SAYS "EVACUATION MEANS DANGER! GET OUT!" She said the land and the houses are worthless now. Brockovich said that they are telling the people by saying a mandatory evacuation that this is a dangerous situation. She said there is gas pressure and there is a risk of explosion.

3D imaging and seismic tests planned for this week and another meeting is scheduled for I think the 14th??

The law suit could take up to 2 years.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 07:48 PM
link   
One concern was the schools in that area. I wondered how close etc... So I googled it. What did I find??
They have up-dates on the sinkhole. APS HERE
Look bottom right hand is the Assumption Parish Jury, you can get all the latest news. I am not sure if this is normal that they have always had a Assumption Parish Police Jury spot to get the latest but this does show the schools are monitoring it and that they are giving the parents easy access to information.

I live in an area that has high fire danger. My advice to anyone in that area would be to have a plan. Have a family meeting and establish two meeting spots. Parents agree on if children need to be picked up who gets who. Plans should be go to point A, if point A cannot be reached go to area B. These should be well outside of the emergency area and in a public place. Have all valuables- photos & insurance papers in boxes or bins. If you need to grab & go they are ready.

I know it sounds alarmist but I once had an officer knock on the door and say we could be evacuating soon. He said if he came back I would have 10 minutes to get out. If you have the important papers already packed and a meeting place established then those things no longer need to be done in those 10 minutes. The sinkhole could be like a hurricane that you can slowly see coming or the sinkhole could go like a wild fire and you only have little time to get out.

posted on Mar, 10 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Two electric boards have been placed on Hwy 70 since month 2. As for schools, of I am correct, the nearest one is 10 miles away.

If there is a hidden volcanoe down here, it is will be bitter sweet. It will be dangerous but we will see a build up of SOLID land lol.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Some of us on here have been active in the Fukushima thread and there seems to be some similarity between them. Authorities not releasing information which is critical to people's safety and stuff like that.

I think there is no doubt that the people in charge have been briefed on the dangers and the chances of it all going pear-shaped and horrible. Of course they all hope they will get away with it, however, like Fukushima and Reactor 4 spent fuel pool, it appears to be only a matter of time before things erupt and a lot of bad things happen.

Shell/BP/Oil & Gas companies have a history of not releasing the proper information at the proper time, so I dont think you can rely on them at all for correct and timely warnings in this case. Does anyone kow of any good up-and-coming investgative journalists because it might be a really career-enhancing story to get the scoop on this one.

Has anyone done a worst case scenario and whether there will be any nuclear or chemical plants affected in the area if things get bad?

Now might be a good time to listen to your gut feelings if you get those, because it looks as if those gut feelings are the only warnings you are going to get in this situation. Good luck everyone.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

There is a nuclear plant on the river near Baton Rouge 40 or so miles away.

Due to great pressure, Bobby Jindal is taking time out of his busy schedule to FINNALY visit the sinkhole. Something he should of done a LONG time ago.
theadvocate.com...

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Earthquake in the gulf today???? Yeeks!

Magnitude: 2.9

Time: Mon, Mar 11, 2013, 10:22:34 AM CDT
GMT: Mon, Mar 11, 2013 15:22:34 GMT

Latitude: 27° 36' 34" N (27.6095°)
Longitude: 91° 57' 42" W (-91.9618°)
Depth: 6.2 mi

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

I agree..Yeeks!
I haven't seen one in LA since I don't know when...
Hoping for the best...like just relieving a little pressure and nothing to worry about.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Look who's coming to town:

Seven months after a sinkhole forced the evacuation of 150 homes in swampy Assumption Parish, Gov. Bobby Jindal said Monday that he'll visit the site where nine acres of land have disintegrated into muck. Jindal's said he'll head to the sinkhole site next week. The announcement comes after residents displaced since early August criticized the governor's absence and after local media attention highlighted Jindal's refusal to say whether he'd check out the state's response efforts in person.
Gov. Bobby Jindal planning to see the sinkhole for himself

That is correct. Gov Jindal is finally going to grace Assumption Parrish with his glorious self. So it takes a famous name and a high powered attorney to get the Gov to actually visit the site.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
can govenors be kicked out? If a few were kicked out by the same people who elected them, they may not be so laid back and uncaring. Far busier Presidents can visit hurricane hit places only days after the disaster.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Can someone post a pin the exact location of the earthquake on a map. Maybe I can shine a little light on the exact area.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 06:55 PM
link   
reply to post by qmantoo

Recall elections, same way Arnold took over California.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Link to where the earthquake was. I will try to get the picture itself.
M2.9 - 231km SSW of Dulac, Louisiana You should be able to move the map in and so so you can get a general idea of where it was. I have been searching cause I know there is a map of all the salt domes.

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:10 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

Oh wow that is the same area of the Gulf of Mexico brine pools.
oceanexplorer.noaa.gov...

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   
Theory, considering its vicinity to the brine pool. We may have experienced a small methane eruption. Just keeping with the spirit of methane shooting from the ground...

posted on Mar, 11 2013 @ 07:36 PM
link   
I loved reading about these. I find it fascinating how much we have yet to learn about our little planet.

An asphalt volcano is a rare type of submarine volcano (seamount) first discovered in 2003. Several examples have been found: first, along the coasts of America and Mexico, and, recently, all over the world; a few are still active.[1] Resembling seamounts in structure, they are made entirely of asphalt, and form when natural oil seeps up from the Earth's crust underwater.

There's what an asphalt volcano is. I think that this is the same area where this small earthquake occurred.

The first asphalt volcanoes were discovered in 2003 by a research expedition to the Gulf of Mexico.[2] They are located on a seafloor hill named "Chapopote," Nahuatl for "tar." The site is located in a field of salt domes known as the Campeche Knolls, a series of steep hills formed from salt bodies that rise from underlying rock, a common feature in the gulf. The research team documented tar flows as wide as 20 m (66 ft) across. Also discovered alongside the asphalt were areas soaked with petroleum and methane hydrate, also spewed from the volcano.

I found this fascinating information on Wikipedia. This was a great read for a layman like myself. Could any of our forum geologists chime in as to the relevancy or accuracy of this info?

new topics

top topics

<< 57  58  59    61  62  63 >>

join