It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

page: 52
<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:42 PM
link   
And we have rain in the forecast. In the past rain and the sinkhole always equals a new development. After this weeks rain more bubbling areas may be exposed, we may get another burp or more sloughing. With the new siesmo activity, the raising of the sinkhole floor... I think things are starting to speed up.

Meeting tomorrow night, at least it is on my calendar. Let's hope we get some answers. Actually I know we won't get answers because this sinkhole is one of a kind. This is a trail blazer in sinkhole studies.
edit on 5-2-2013 by AuntB because: more

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB
And we have rain in the forecast. In the past rain and the sinkhole always equals a new development. After this weeks rain more bubbling areas may be exposed, we may get another burp or more sloughing. With the new siesmo activity, the raising of the sinkhole floor... I think things are starting to speed up.

Meeting tomorrow night, at least it is on my calendar. Let's hope we get some answers. Actually I know we won't get answers because this sinkhole is one of a kind. This is a trail blazer in sinkhole studies.
edit on 5-2-2013 by AuntB because: more

Waiting for straight answers from Texas Brine and the authorities is a lot like waiting for snow in Hades. Lots of luck with those meetings.

posted on Feb, 5 2013 @ 08:06 PM
link   
That 8 mag that happened in the Santa Cruz island chain is being picked up at the bayou Corne geophones.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   
There is a lot of activity to report today (2/6/2013). Some of it new, some of it old, some of it updates and all of it bad. Today's info comes from several sources.

SOURCE #1 - Celestial Convergence

Rumbling & Eerie Situation In The Marsh, Floor Of Salt Cavern Is Rising Much Faster Than Previously Reported, Major Methane Release As Salt Dome Rises Over 100 Feet In 15 Days!

Texas Brine’s Feb. 3 Update: “[Cavern] floor had risen 100 feet since last measured on Jan. 18.” A 100-foot rise over a 15-day period is an average of almost 7 feet per day. Previously, the cavern floor had been rising at a rate of less than 1 foot per day

SOURCE #2 - ENENEWS - 1

Louisiana sinkhole grows to 8 acres — Witness: “Ridiculous” amount of oil outside hole — 80,000 gallons of oil removed from surface

At 35:00 in Resident: I done a flyover and I took some video there. That hole is — the oil outside of the boom of that thing is ridiculous. Why isn’t the EPA involved in that? Rep. Karen St. Germaine: They are. Resident: [...] That swamp water is contaminated behind those peoples’ houses. No doubt in my mind the swamp is contaminated.

SOURCE #3 - ENENEWS - 2

‘Scary’: Pipeline explosion at sinkhole could have taken out 2 miles of area, says professor — Amazing it didn’t break — Kinked on both sides - video at source link

Louisiana State Representative Joe Harrison: When we had the big meeting in Pierre Part, it was brought out about the pipelines that we did have, and the potential danger of the pipelines.

One scientist from LSU indicated one pipeline, which was a 36 inch pipeline, was kinked on both sides — it was amazing to me that it did not break — and said if it would have actually broken at that time the sinkhole started, it could have taken out over 2 miles of area.

That’s a scary thought.

SOURCE #4 - Videos
edit on 6-2-2013 by happykat39 because: typo

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Kat that is one ugly sinkhole picture. What a mess. The news you linked is very alarming. a two mile radius???? I wonder if anyone has told Texas Brine & John B.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Is there any good news in this area??? Latest story from the Advocate
Residents: Insurance policies canceled

In interviews with two evacuated residents and parish officials in the past two weeks, some said insurers were not renewing or had threatened not to renew their policies because their homes had been left vacant for more than 30 days. In another case, a non-renewal letter cited “increased hazard” and a “substantial change in risk” after a resident filed a claim due to tremor-induced damage. The claim was also denied. The resident and company agreed to part ways.

I just don't know what to think. These people are going to be left without insurance and you have to have insurance if you have a home loan.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Is there any good news in this area??? Latest story from the Advocate
Residents: Insurance policies canceled

In interviews with two evacuated residents and parish officials in the past two weeks, some said insurers were not renewing or had threatened not to renew their policies because their homes had been left vacant for more than 30 days. In another case, a non-renewal letter cited “increased hazard” and a “substantial change in risk” after a resident filed a claim due to tremor-induced damage. The claim was also denied. The resident and company agreed to part ways.

I just don't know what to think. These people are going to be left without insurance and you have to have insurance if you have a home loan.

Just when you thought that they had figured out all the possible ways to screw the homeowners, along comes news like this.

But let the banks repossess the homes; the way things are going there won't be any homes left to repossess before very long and all the banks will get is some highly polluted swampland.

I also think that this disaster is going to grow so huge eventually that Texas Brine and/or the state won't be able to afford to pay off the homeowners. Just what will they do if the sinkhole expands to cover multiple counties. It may take some time but I think it is possible for it to happen.

posted on Feb, 6 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
First of all I want to thank AuntB for the link to this article. If you want to award some stars find some of her older replies an star her there.

I know there has been some speculation posted about the possibility of B P disaster oil infiltrating the ground and moving toward the sinkhole area. However, this is the first I have seen of the Corexit being blamed for accelerating and facilitating it.

Now, before I get to the actual article, I have to talk nerdy to you for a bit. You will see the relevance of the nerdy talk when you go on to the article and the claims made in it.

There are different types of chromatograph. But all of them depend on one principle. That principle is that lighter atoms and/or molecules will move through a restriction or restrictive medium faster than heavier ones. So if you force a compound chemical through a long thin, extremely thin, tubing the lighter components will arrive at the other end before the heavier ones.

There is another, and simpler, type of chromatograph that a grade school student can make. It is this type that will be important to the subject of the article and it's assumptions. It is simply a clear straw or glass lab tubing packed with corn starch. The way it is demonstrated is by placing a single small drop of food coloring at the top end and slowly washing it down the column by adding water a little at a time. As the food coloring progresses down the column the various components will be separated by molecular weight. What you end up with is a "chromatograph" of all the different components of the food coloring appearing at different levels. Just a simple drop of red coloring is composed of several different coloring agents mixed together to give the desired color. And, even if the straw is laid on it's side capillary action will still make it work, just a little slower.

So, how does this relate to the oil and Corexit problem?

The answer is that you can consider the ground as equivalent to the corn starch column and the mixture of crude oil, salt, salt water and Corexit as equivalent to the food coloring and the water used to wash it down the column. And even without extra pressure capillary action will still make it spread through the ground away from the original source.

Now on to the article...

Could Corexit have made BP crude travel to sinkhole disaster site?

SOURCE

A disturbing scientific report released this week implies the possibility that Corexit 9500A used to cover up BP oil after the Gulf of Mexico catastrophe began in April 2010 could make crude oil travel underground for long distances, possibly as far as the historic Bayou Corne sinkhole where crude from an unknown source is being released.

After the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded 52 miles off of Louisiana's Gulf of Mexico coast, large volumes of crude oil washed onto and embedded in sandy beaches and sublittoral sands of the Northern Gulf of Mexico. Some of that oil was mechanically or chemically dispersed with Corexit 9500A before it reached shore.

"Flushing columns with seawater after percolation of the oiled water resulted in enhanced movement by remobilization of retained PAHs," the researchers stated.

"In other words, repeated flushing by waves washing up a contaminated beach may pump PAHs deep into the sediment when dispersant is present," reported Julia Whitty for Mother Jones.

An in-situ benthic chamber experiment, one that simulates deep sea conditions, demonstrated that aromatic hydrocarbons are "transported into permeable sublittoral sediment, emphasizing the relevance of our laboratory column experiments in natural settings," the researchers said.

There are also links to other sinkhole related stories at the bottom of the page. Here is a snippet from one of them.

SOURCE #2

La. sinkhole disaster medical monitoring failure

Louisiana sinkhole disaster officials are not adequately monitoring chemical health hazards manifesting in nearby neighborhoods, according to statements at an emotional Bayou Corne resident meeting with officials Tuesday night where locals spoke out about this to officials and to human rights reporter Deborah Dupré there.

For one of the first times since the Bayou Corne sinkhole disaster resident meetings with officials began, the chemical poisoning of locals issue was addressed Tuesday night by an independent neuroscientist and locals.

edit on 6-2-2013 by happykat39 because: added a link

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Kat that is one ugly sinkhole picture. What a mess. The news you linked is very alarming. a two mile radius???? I wonder if anyone has told Texas Brine & John B.

All that debris is probably the stuff that was belched 30 feet into the air. And, what goes up must come down; with the exception of prices. The picture was most likely taken before the work crews could clean up after the burp.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
In response to the Corexit information we are find, I ran across this Mother Jones article. It is saying the same. The Corexit is soaking in to lower levels.

Carcinogenic PAH compounds from the toxic tar are concentrating in surface layers of the beach and from there leaching into lower layers of beach sediment. This could potentially lead to contamination of groundwater sources.
Here is the link: BP's Corexit Oil Tar Sponged Up by Human Skin

So if this stuff got into the groundwater system it could have dispersed far & wide, thus this could be having some effect of what we are seeing in Bayou Corne.

** we will be conducting the corn starch experiment at home this weekend. It will be science & fun.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39

All that debris is probably the stuff that was belched 30 feet into the air. And, what goes up must come down; with the exception of prices. The picture was most likely taken before the work crews could clean up after the burp.
These are not pictures that TB would want to get out. This is an outrage, where are the environmentalists??? This is a hazard that is basically ignored. That is a nasty picture- it has been said that this will eventually become a lake, basically this looks like a cesspool.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Last nights meeting.....

Meeting gets contentious

Here's the highlights:

Assumption Parish Police Jury President Martin “Marty” Triche exchanged sharp words Wednesday night during a community meeting on the parish’s 8.6-acre sinkhole with a resident who asked whether Triche had any personal financial interests in dirt-hauling related to the response effort. The episode, which led to the resident’s removal by a sheriff’s deputy at Triche’s direction but Triche’s later apology for the outburst, occurred about 11 minutes into the meeting before about 150 people.
Tempers are flaring!

We finally have some state people getting interested. Maybe they will let the Gov know that there is a sinkhole and he should start trying to protect the voters.

Ward said members of the Senate Natural Resources Committee and House Natural Resources and Environment Committee would also be visiting the Bayou Corne area after the joint meeting but before the upcoming legislative session to see the sinkhole first-hand.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Has the temperature of the water there increased at all?

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

There is a video of that confrontation with Marty and Karen is on video. Search YouTube user Rainbeaudais. She has the whole confrontation on video and her getting thrown out. Marty Triche had every right to come back at her the way that woman came after him.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

No increase in temp.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
That is an interesting question. But I think with all the rain they have been having that it would be hard to get a true reading. I would like them to test the oil coming up and see where that is from.

BTW- Ricky are you thinking volcanic?
edit on 7-2-2013 by AuntB because: question

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by CajunBoy
reply to post by AuntB

There is a video of that confrontation with Marty and Karen is on video. Search YouTube user Rainbeaudais. She has the whole confrontation on video and her getting thrown out. Marty Triche had every right to come back at her the way that woman came after him.
I think this shows that the locals are not trusting anyone anymore. I think they feel that their is no one that is truly working for them. I will see if I can locate the video. Rainb seems to right on top of things.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by rickymouse
That is an interesting question. But I think with all the rain they have been having that it would be hard to get a true reading. I would like them to test the oil coming up and see where that is from.

BTW- Ricky are you thinking volcanic?
edit on 7-2-2013 by AuntB because: question

More like a volcanic fissure is my train of thought.

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   
After Hurricane Issac and Wintersto Gandalf I think it was, I'm tired of the rain for the next two years

posted on Feb, 7 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   
Here s the headline from the Celestial Convergence offering for today (2/7/2013)

"Tremor-Induced Damage" Near Sinkhole, "My Slab's Already Broken To Hell... It Looks Like Spider Web"?!

The Celestial Convergence posting for today doesn't contain much new info but it does expand on the insurance cancellation issue. It also links to the "The Advocate" article on the subject.
edit on 7-2-2013 by happykat39 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 49  50  51    53  54  55 >>

join