It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

page: 40
<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Sounds like things have gotten worse...what could be the broader implications of a complete collapse?

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by severdsoul

I check it at least once a day, while i live
a LONG way from this, it is something i prefer
to keep a eye on.
From where i am at, actual news on this is hard to get
except for here...

most around here give a blank look, like deer in the
headlights when i even mention it.

Keep up the great work.
This post made me laugh. I also get that look from people when I start talking about the sinkhole. They look at me like I am babbling in another language.When I explain what is happening people still don't seem to care. I think if the MSM mentioned it then most would realize they should care and be concerned. I know that seems harsh but some people don't think unless told what to think.

As for those Examiner articles are we sure Dupre isn't reading our posts and finally asking the correct questions? Funny how we start chatting about the possibility of the whole dome being compromised and an article then appears. When looking at the overhead view of the sinkhole at the top of the article my thought was- water. There is so much water. I realize they have been having rain but that is a very large amount that is growing weekly.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maeven23
Sounds like things have gotten worse...what could be the broader implications of a complete collapse?

A lot depends on time scale. If the whole dome collapses it will almost certainly not go in one big event. But, depending on the integrity of some parts of the dome, smaller regional collapses are not out of the realm of the possible.

Best case...
It all goes so slow that all the companies that have material stored in various caverns within the dome have time to empty them out before they are breached. It is known that there are deposits of oil, methane and hydrogen sulfide in the dome system but there aren't enough of any of them to pose a serious short or long term danger. There are at least two small towns on the Napoleonville dome that would be lost but there would be no loss of life because there would be plenty of time to evacuate them. Assumption Parish would end up with a new lake but it would be, at least for some time, too salty and polluted for recreational use or fishing.

Worst case...
There are several ways this could play out.

1 - Hydrogen sulfide - It is still unknown just how much of the H2S is actually under the cap rock and in other strata in and around the dome. H2S presents two distinct dangers. The first is that it is flammable and if it concentrates in the right amount before ignition it could be explosive. The second is that it is a deadly poison. A sudden and unexpected large release could kill a lot of people in the vicinity. A slower, but prolonged, release could make a very large area around the dome uninhabitable for a long time.

2 - Methane - While methane is not poisonous like H2S, it will still kill in large enough quantities by suffocation. It can, like H2S, be very explosive in the right mix with air before it is ignited. But the overall danger from a large methane deposit is somewhat less than a large deposit of H2S.

3 - Stored chemicals and various fuels - If any of the chemical and/or fuel storage chambers are breached before they can be emptied there are several types of danger presented by each of them,

A - Liquid butane and propane - Both are extremely flammable and/or explosive under the right conditions. Someone, in fact several someones, have described a sudden breach of just one of the caverns as being capable of causing an explosion with the force of 100 Hiroshima bombs. Please note that that assessment is based on explosive force only and has no actual radioactive danger that an atomic bomb would produce. But even a slower release could cause a flare up and fire that would make even a 30 inch pipeline fire look like a candle next to a blowtorch. And there would be no way to shut it off until all the liquid turned to gas and burned off.

B - Liquid fuels like diesel oil, crude oil and gasoline - While they obviously aren't as much of a danger as the compressed liquid gasses, they would still make for one heck of a fire and would cause a huge environmental problem. Not to mention the cost and effort needed to clean it all up even if it didn't catch fire.

C - NORM or Naturally Occurring Radioactive material - This is a mildly radioactive byproduct of oil wells. But, since it is separated out of the crude and concentrated, the danger it would present would depend on how much there is, how concentrated it is and how much is released into the environment. This one is still one big question mark.

D - Other chemicals and toxins - Beside what is mentioned above I have no real idea what else is stored in the caverns in the dome. But there are many possibilities like chemical components of pesticides, (remember Bhopal India) and other explosive and or toxic chemicals. This one could be nothing or it could be one heck of an environmental disaster all by itself.

Add to all the above the fact that even empty caverns are shored up by keeping brine in them and the sudden release of one of the pressurized gasses could cause a massive collapse chain reaction involving any caverns close enough to be affected.

I think I covered all the important points. If I think of anything else within the editing time allowance I will edit it in. Otherwise I will create another reply with a link back to this one.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Maeven23
That is a great question/speculation. My first thought is how quickly could a complete collapse occur. We need to remember that they have been moving the butane (correct?) from one cavern to another. This is a procedure that take months, they started in August and are still working at it. There are x- many caverns that would take IMO a year plus to empty and that maybe a low ball guess. Plus I have a feeling some of the stuff stored in these caverns is bad stuff.

Second if that collapse does happen then many of the stored materials would escape. Hmm... ecosystem, marshy area where water travels.. nightmare. If it completely collapsed the environmental impact would be beyond description. The human impact with the escape gasses, contamination to the aquifer. That area would be a wasteland, you can't live where you can't breath. The underground aquifer system- I don't even know how anyone could measure an impact- how far would this spread?

Please note some believe this could set off the New Madrid zone. I haven't formed an opinion on that yet. I know there are fault lines in LA but I am not convinced yet that the sink hole could set off a chain of events that big.

So those are some of my thoughts on that questions. I will be interested to see how others respond to it.

posted on Dec, 18 2012 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB

Originally posted by severdsoul

I check it at least once a day, while i live
a LONG way from this, it is something i prefer
to keep a eye on.
From where i am at, actual news on this is hard to get
except for here...

most around here give a blank look, like deer in the
headlights when i even mention it.

Keep up the great work.

This post made me laugh. I also get that look from people when I start talking about the sinkhole. They look at me like I am babbling in another language.When I explain what is happening people still don't seem to care. I think if the MSM mentioned it then most would realize they should care and be concerned. I know that seems harsh but some people don't think unless told what to think.

If you think that made you laugh wait until the next time you check your U2U messages.

As for those Examiner articles are we sure Dupre isn't reading our posts and finally asking the correct questions? Funny how we start chatting about the possibility of the whole dome being compromised and an article then appears. When looking at the overhead view of the sinkhole at the top of the article my thought was- water. There is so much water. I realize they have been having rain but that is a very large amount that is growing weekly.

I wouldn't be surprised. This is far from the only thread that beats the socks off of the media's response time.
edit on 18-12-2012 by happykat39 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Nothing new seems to have been revealed last night other then TB wants to put monitors in resident homes, they haven't paid a dime in fines, Jindal is still MIA, and the residents are notably angry.

www.fox44.com...

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 04:36 PM
link   
reply to post by BrieBird

Nothing has new came up in the meeting, a good portion was about property buyouts. They just pummeled us with info and made it impossible to compute at one time. When the vids come out I'll break it down to y'all.

Also, new flyover vid is up. I'm at work and won't be able to post it if someone can get that up. Btw, it was a heated and emotional meeting last night, another discretion warning before y'all get it up. Pissed off Cajuns are not to be messed with
edit on 19-12-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Flyover posted 12/19/2012

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Thanks for up loading this Kat. Is it just me or do these fly overs really stink. I swear they do a lousy job filming so no one will grasp the total devastation. I was impressed that they swung over the treed area because with last flyover I questioned how far back the water went. Well we know know it goes all the way back to those white tanks. Should we be concerned about those tanks? Will they be emptying them? Dismantling them? Also, I see their staging area is shrinking.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Thanks for up loading this Kat. Is it just me or do these fly overs really stink. I swear they do a lousy job filming so no one will grasp the total devastation. I was impressed that they swung over the treed area because with last flyover I questioned how far back the water went. Well we know know it goes all the way back to those white tanks. Should we be concerned about those tanks? Will they be emptying them? Dismantling them? Also, I see their staging area is shrinking.

It's not you. It really does look like they are filming the sinkhole in such a way as to show as little as possible while still looking like they are doing something. I wonder just what the footage they don't show us looks like???

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by CajunBoy
reply to post by BrieBird

Nothing has new came up in the meeting, a good portion was about property buyouts. They just pummeled us with info and made it impossible to compute at one time. When the vids come out I'll break it down to y'all.

Also, new flyover vid is up. I'm at work and won't be able to post it if someone can get that up. Btw, it was a heated and emotional meeting last night, another discretion warning before y'all get it up. Pissed off Cajuns are not to be messed with
edit on 19-12-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)
Confuse, overwhelm and evade.... I look forward to seeing the video's I saw the one on the news link and that one guy marched right up there (applauds). It is okay CB if I learn some new cuss words or phases, I never learned to curse cajun style.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39

It's not you. It really does look like they are filming the sinkhole in such a way as to show as little as possible while still looking like they are doing something. I wonder just what the footage they don't show us looks like???

Thank you for backing me up on that. BTW- where is route 70? that is on the left hand side- correct? That is the side that they failed to show again. Now route 70 is close to the sinkhole because we saw that film by the local down there (Rain). Do we know if water is appearing on the other side of 70? Could that be why they are not showing us the whole thing?

BTW- thanks for the U2U- loved it & so will Dad.

posted on Dec, 19 2012 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Highway 70 is still open and no water on the other side just yet.

Weather update: Passing rain showers throughout the night.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Texas Brine Company, LLC
UPDATE
December 19, 2012
1. The Observation Well remained shut in today while preparations are being
made for additional diagnostic procedures. A recent measurement of cavern
depth indicated that the floor has risen another 15 feet since last measured on
November 29 similar to previous changes.

6. On November 12, Texas Brine was ordered by the LDNR to create a permanent containment barrier around the sinkhole, install sophisticated Lower Explosive Limit (LEL) monitoring devices and upgrade ventilation systems in all slab-on-grade houses and structures within the evacuation zone, and drill two additional natural gas venting wells at locations west of the Texas Brine site. During the 37 days since issuance, we conducted a thorough review of each directive, brought in additional resources and worked diligently to accomplish each task set forth in the order. Texas Brine does not have the in-house expertise to design and manage construction of a permanent barrier around the sinkhole. However, TBC moved expeditiously to identify and retain an engineering firm to assume that responsibility. Special challenges regarding the swampy environment in which such a barrier must be built will affect its design as well as the construction methods, including access to and through private land, possible wetlands mitigation issues and permits and other challenging issues. This design work is ongoing. After identifying 81 slab-on-grade houses that would possibly qualify for the monitoring devices and ventilation system improvements, we contacted each homeowner to obtain an agreement allowing for an inspection prior to the installation of such devices and ventilation. So far, thirty-eight homeowners have agreed. Seven owners gave their initial permission and have since withdrawn their access agreements. Next we set appointments to assess each home to determine the best location for the monitors. As of this week, 15 homes will have been inspected and assessed. Several homeowners have asked us to wait until after the holidays to complete their assessments. Once the assessments are completed, we can better design the monitoring system that works for all homes and begin installation. It has taken several weeks to reach agreements with landowners on whose land the ordered vent wells are to be located, or across whose land we would need to move equipment and manpower to the respective drill sites. Those discussions continue and agreements have almost been reached. We hope to commence vent well drilling as soon as possible after the agreements are finalized. As stated earlier, we are, and have been making a determined effort to respond to the November 12 order as quickly as circumstances will allow.

7. On December 7, 2012, the LDNR ordered Texas Brine to make available certain seismic data to the public on a real-time basis. That data is available by pasting the following URL in a browser: folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu... To ensure adequate dissemination of this information, this link is also provided below, and will be displayed at the bottom of each daily update for the foreseeable future.

Source

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 01:21 PM
link   
Well guys, it is almost the "end." lol. If the hole blows or Edgar Cayce was right, I'll be swimming for dear life!

But on a more non-apocolyptic note. We have wind gust down here between 25-35 mph. We may see some trees along the edge of the hole fall in.
edit on 20-12-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by CajunBoy
Well guys, it is almost the "end." lol. If the hole blows or Edgar Cayce was right, I'll be swimming for dear life!

But on a more non-apocolyptic note. We have wind gust down here between 25-35 mph. We may see some trees along the edge of the hole fall in.
edit on 20-12-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

I am surprised that no one has posted that water wings and life vests are outselling guns in low lying and coastal areas. I do wonder though how much of the survival gear will end up on E-Bay by Jan 1st 2013?

Are you going to be able to upload, or link to, video of the last meeting so the rest of us who have led sheltered lives can learn to "swear like a Cajun"?

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I was just looking at seismic readings and the whole area from Memphis down to bayou corne has been active today. Can't upload readings I am on my phone but I know you know where to find the readings

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 06:51 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Sorry, been busy at work pulling 14 hour shifts. That is part 1 of 10 if someone can link all the vids.

posted on Dec, 20 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Here they are CajunBoy, glad to help.

Part 1

Part 2

Part 3

Part 4

Part 5

Part 6

Part 7

Part 8

Part 9

Part 10

Bonus clip of one PO'd Cajun.

Bonus clip 2 of an even more PO'd Cajun.

edit on 20-12-2012 by happykat39 because: added extra videos

posted on Dec, 21 2012 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Salinity levels in Bayou Corne is 1.1 ppt to .2 ppt.

Now let's look at the dissolved oxygen level. Bayou Corne, Triche Canal and Bayou Lafourche.

Bayou Corne - 4.9DO (at bubble sites it is 1.5-2.5)
Triche Canal - 2.5DO
Bayou Lafourche - 8.0DO

I'm not sure of what is good and what's bad. Can someone share what they know on oxygen levels?

These numbers were from DEQ

new topics

top topics

<< 37  38  39    41  42  43 >>

join