It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

page: 32
<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by riverwild
reply to post by PuterMan

Not abrupt at all PM. That's what I was asking. Thanks.

Sinkholes and what's stored in these areas is all new to me. Quite frightening actually.

Are they all located in LA?

I just saw an article linked to from another thread that said that there are salt deposits under lake Michigan and near Detroit, among other places up north, that are being mined for salt and the caverns used for storage just like in Louisiana. One of them even claimed that they wouldn't be surprised if some of them collapsed and drained lake Michigan.

I also saw in another place that there are salt deposits under a good part of the whole United States. It wouldn't surprise me, after all look at the Bonneville Salt Flats.

ETA - I wonder if some of the natural and man caused erosion of the underground salt deposits could eventually be the cause of Edgar Cayce's prophecy coming true of the U S being split down the middle by the New Madrid fault zone.
edit on 30-11-2012 by happykat39 because: Added last sentence

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   
New update on the sinkhole from Celestial Convergence dated today 11/30/2012..

November 30, 2012 - UNITED STATES - The following constitutes the latest update on the Louisiana Sinkhole from Texas Brine Company:

PDF of report from Texas Brine

And a video I haven't seen before...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Does anyone know what happened to this guy. CB- do you know this Lake Verrets? Has the water level dropped 4 ft? The area has been getting plenty rain so the levels should be up, but if the lake is leaking.... the site he linked is down for construction. How convenient.

I have been studying the recent activity and that along with the past reports prior to the innitial sinkhole opening, it would seem that the sinkhole may very well be expanding and collapsing further. If this is true then the people in the vicinity should be evacuated now. I was going over the geological studies done by Golden Gate Petroleum and based on the information and logs shown on their website ( Golden Gate Petroleum Seismic Study of the Nepoleonville Salt Dome ) coupled with the fact that Lake Verrets water level has dropped 4 feet+ since before the onset of the first seismic events prior to the sinkhole formation, it would appear that Lake Verret might be leaking into, and eroding a very massive and VERY DEEP salt dome. and that the whole area West/Northwest of Napoleonville and East/Northeast of Pierre Part might be heading towards a sizable vertical relocation. I will be following this with great interest since this is a storage area for radiological waste. (whose brain fart was that.) in response to Britguy I'm wondering if, due to the geology of that whole area, there is a cascade effect taking place. One area having been weakened or suffering a collapse is in turn weakening and affecting other possible caverns or faults around it in a wide area. Sort of like a domino effect? The seismic studies show that the Napoleonville dome has multiple fractures and faults that extend to other domes in the area, and there are a lot of them. This is bad news for the whole area, no matter how you cut it. Location of sinkhole: Lat 30*00'40.76"N Lon 91*08'31.76"W
His post was HERE scroll down.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Flyover 11-30-12

Latest "flyover". Notice they really don't fly over the hole. They stay back. What I want is to see how far that water goes back into the trees. Also, I would like them to pan all the dead trees on the left hand side.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 06:39 PM
link   
Flyover 11-30-12

Latest "flyover". Notice they really don't fly over the hole. They stay back. What I want is to see how far that water goes back into the trees. Also, I would like them to pan all the dead trees on the left hand side.

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Officials: ‘Large chunks’ were knocked off salt dome when cavern collapsed — Giant sinkhole now getting deeper

[...] Dennis Landry, a local resident and businessman, said before Thanksgiving “gas remains in the aquifer, and a little crude oil is still coming out of the top of sinkhole. Texas Brine contractors laid boom around the sinkhole to keep any oil or other fuel from escaping.” He said “Texas Brine and Shaw Environmental are flaring natural gas off from several wells they drilled. The sinkhole was growing in size but it seems to have stabilized in recent weeks.”

But things don’t stay still for long at the hole. After Thanksgiving, the hole burped up vegetative debris on Nov. 27, and hydrocarbons rose from beneath the hole, according to the Assumption Parish Police Jury. Trees fell in that day and the next. Boom was repositioned to contain hydrocarbons on the surface.

Texas Brine said sinkhole measurements taken on Nov. 14 and reported on Nov. 27 showed the hole had deepened by 30 feet to 145 feet since Nov. 1. [...]

As for tremors, Landry said “I haven’t felt them, but other people have. U.S. Geological Survey experts tell us the Aug. 3 collapse of the cavern knocked off large chunks of salt, causing tremors. USGS says the tremors are internal or localized and were not caused by broader seismic activity.” [...]

enenews.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Ran across this.

GEOLOGICAL UPHEAVAL: Louisiana Sinkhole Continues to Grow - Sinkhole Depth Increased to 145 Feet, 30 Feet Deeper in Just 13 Days!

thecelestialconvergence.blogspot.com...

posted on Nov, 30 2012 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by riverwild
Ran across this.

GEOLOGICAL UPHEAVAL: Louisiana Sinkhole Continues to Grow - Sinkhole Depth Increased to 145 Feet, 30 Feet Deeper in Just 13 Days!

thecelestialconvergence.blogspot.com...

That is the same one I posted HERE

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
reply to post by riverwild

Looks like Enews is referencing the Huffington Post blog post I talked about in my post here.

It is good that this is garnering more attention, it needs ll that it can get.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:06 AM
link   
With the recent activity with the hole lately and things I have been being told, something new seems to be happening which can turn bad. The sinkhole depth is now 145 and last week we seen at least 13,000 square foot of land sucked in. Considering the dept of the hole was 499' and now after all the sloughing it is only 145 ft. Well, the cavern floor is still rising filling with something. The rate of rise in the cavern is different from the sinking of the slough in the hole. 2 things, we may see a new sinkhole form in the next couple weeks or the current one is going to get massively bigger.
edit on 1-12-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by AuntB
Flyover 11-30-12

AuntB, would you or some other skilled poster PLEASE post some stills from that video that i and others cannot view ? purty please.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by CajunBoy
With the recent activity with the hole lately and things I have been being told, something new seems to be happening which can turn bad. The sinkhole depth is now 145 and last week we seen at least 13,000 square foot of land sucked in. Considering the dept of the hole was 499' and now after all the sloughing it is only 145 ft. Well, the cavern floor is still rising filling with something. The rate of rise in the cavern is different from the sinking of the slough in the hole. 2 things, we may see a new sinkhole form in the next couple weeks or the current one is going to get massively bigger.

CB, it looks like someone is getting the sinkhole depth wrong. The article both riverwild and myself linked to claims it GREW in depth from 130' to 145' in 13 days. But I know I was seeing depths closer to what you state so what is it. Are they measuring things from a different level, say for instance the depth from top to bottom of the cavern, as opposed to measuring from the surface to the bottom of the cavern. What are the real depth figures and why the disparity?

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 07:45 AM
link   
I dont remember this but, this is what occurred in Brendham, Texas in 1992. A massive ground based gas cloud, and then an explosion.

edit on 1-12-2012 by riverwild because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 10:04 AM
link   
I believe the Police Jury is requesting an new reading today. If not today Monday we will get a new reading

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Happykat, in an effort to help clarify what you're reading, rather than an error, i think it makes perfect sense in a worst case scenario.

prior measurements indicated the depth to be around 500'. (499 or whatever)
following the initial collapse, the depth decreased to around 130'
(indicating a substantial amount of collapse)
here, weeks later, we now suspect fluid is flowing through the cavern, correct ?

given that it is likely, collapsed material is being washed away from below, causing more collapse at a slower rate than the bottom is being washed out, hence creating a greater depth (145') from floor to surface.

make a little more sense ?
it is quite likely, a bottom wash-out is what enabled the vegetation to be loosened enough to surface.

think of it ... like when a wave crashes upon the beach.
yes, top sand flows back to sea, however, if you are standing on the beach as the wave crashes beyond you, the wash-out back to sea seems to remove more sand from beneath your feet than the area surrounding where you stand.

a similar principle is occurring beneath the surface and impacting the salt dome more rapidly than the surface material flows to fill it back up.
this is not looking good folks.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

here, weeks later, we now suspect fluid is flowing through the cavern, correct ? given that it is likely, collapsed material is being washed away from below, causing more collapse at a slower rate than the bottom is being washed out, hence creating a greater depth (145') from floor to surface.

Yes, that does make sense. In fact it fits in very well with my PRIOR CLAIM , based on the chloride leakage into the aquifer, that there is now water flow through the cavern instead of just being stagnant pooling of the swamp water that entered with the original collapse.

Relevant text from the link above...

So having chloride leak into the river and the aquifer, while not a good thing, is not surprising either. What is bad about this is not that chloride is leaking but rather that anything at all that requires water flow to carry it is leaking into the river and aquifer. That indicates a breach of the salt cavern that is allowing water to flow THROUGH it. Water flowing through salt is a really bad thing because it indicates that the erosion of the already unstable salt dome is continuing in such a way that it will most likely lead to further failures and collapses.

edit on 1-12-2012 by happykat39 because: added quoted material

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 03:04 PM
link   
I still think the biggest unknown as of right now is the hole is sinking again. As a rough estimate from all the different numbers. Current depth is 130ft-150ft (A request has been put in today to check the depth again). The cavern floor of Oxy #3 is rising at a faster rate than the depth of the hole is sinking. The cavern is filling up with dirt and debris that isn't part of the sinkhole. Where is it coming from? Word around here has been that the dome may be fracturing around Oxy #3. Which could be leading to the chloride being found in the aquifer and in old man river.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

Originally posted by AuntB
Flyover 11-30-12

AuntB, would you or some other skilled poster PLEASE post some stills from that video that i and others cannot view ? purty please.
Honor, I am basically computer illiterate. I am not sure how to make stills of the fly over but maybe someone else can. Anyone know how to do that??? Thanks.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Got word back, the new depth will be measured as soon as the debris is cleared.

posted on Dec, 1 2012 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Also, Texas Brine has been fined $100,000 for failure to follow directives. Seems like nothing but it is a start! Those fines were from failure to install in home monitors.

top topics

<< 29  30  31    33  34  35 >>

join