It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

page: 24
<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

This is particularly disturbing considering that CajunBoy lives close enough to smell it.

From the petition you linked to.

Doctors and toxocologists that responded to the BP oil spill said: "If you've smelled it, you've been poisoned", and "There is no safe level of toxins".

You hear that CajunBoy, time to get out of dodge or wear your breathing gear 24/7.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Double post
edit on 23-11-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

Happy, with the coastal Louisiana sinking. Go back through the thread, I believe I posted something on that. There is a fault line called the Baton Rouge-Temperate fault system and everything south of that is a slow and constant drift into the GoM. It slides on the salt layer. EDIT: I has no IDEA of the Golden Meadow fault line. That's down the bayou from me.

As for the H2S problem, if they havn't been monitoring the bubble sites, because I know damn well they havn't in Bayou Lafourche, H2S could be coming up everywhere. I'm just ready to see a mass of dead fish float pass my house. I'm down the bayou from the bubble site. A scarier thing to think about is that H2S is a heavy gas and accumulates along the ground. Assuming that the bubble sites are emitting H2S, Bayou Laforuche is going to funnel the gasses into all the communities down the bayou including me due to levee system along the bayou.

I just skimmed over the latest post. I'll post more but I'm not behind my PC. I'm waiting for response on how the private meeting with some state reps went tonight.

By the way AuntB I was about to classify YOU mia lol

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
Didn't catch your post on page 24 Happy. But I'm not close enough to smell it, I'm 30 miles away south. I spend 4 days of the week up there to know the smells and I know many in the bayou Corne community.

I am on my phone right now, so I'm trying my best to respond. I am currently on my way to Bayou Corne though. Most of the activity has been happening at night so hopefully I'll be able to pick up something.

Also Honor, I got your message but I can't respond on my phone for some reason. I'll take a serious look into what you sent me and get back to you on that.

Also got your message AuntB, there was something back in 2003 that happened. When I get back later tonight I'll post everything.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

This image shows the dimensions of the salt dome:

Source

If you zoom in, you will see a few of the seismic monitors (the blue triangles) that have been installed to monitor ground motion.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

Those are the sites, but I think what he is trying to say is that is not nearly enough to catch all the activity. Most of the tremors that happen are less that 4 on the reicter scale and would probably need a few more monitors to pick it up.

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

be safe out there, hopefully there is some good news to be heard from the meeting.
no hurry on the info unless i can help you find something or someone [hint]

here, it is helpful knowing your local real estate/home insurer agents

they have access the public does not -- i would imagine something similar exists there.

@ HappyKat & others
here is the info i sent to CB.
perhaps some of you can help garner more info rather he alone (i don't know or i'd share)

i know the likelihood of any connection is slim, however, since it's 1 planet and we're all connected at some point ... i thought this might help increase the information pool being used to assess this situation.

being from FL, i am luckily in one of the few counties that does not suffer frequent sinkholes, however, in researching this state over the years, i've come to learn that not all of them are in "public access" locations.

here's one article you might be able to use as a lead or at least to inquire of those who may know where or how to look next.

here, we have a Sinkhole Clearinghouse that harbors info purposely kept out of the public eye ... you may have similar there.

www.insurancejournal.com...
211 property insurers responded that claims increased from 2,360 in 2006 to 6,694 in 2010, totaling 24,671 claims
- snip -
The company’s Sinkhole Clearinghouse gives participating carriers access to an exclusive claims database. Currently, it contains more than 12,000 sinkholes “not available from public sources,” according to Munson.

not sending you on some wild goose chase or anything, just trying to garner as much info as we can.

also, although some may poopoo the source, here are some interesting updates i haven't seen posted and they've helped me better understand both structure and effect.
enenews.com...
this one was "news" to me too ... enenews.com... (cool pics too)
enenews.com...
and one more
... enenews.com...

the additional links at the bottom of the pages have some good info also.
[keep in mind, those with video, i cannot access]

ETA --> some may find this of interest also ... the original Napoleonville farmout completion from GGP (Golden Gate Petroleum) ... www.asx.com.au...
edit on 24-11-2012 by Honor93 because: ETA

posted on Nov, 23 2012 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by jadedANDcynical

howdy J&C, how you doin' ?

wow, that image seems rather confusing from what i've seen in other links provided
(just above this post).
it looks like the area known as the "production zone" which is N ? of the salt dome has the greatest concentration of monitors and if the activity is eminating from the dome region in other directions, they might be too centralized to detect much.

just off the cuff, if these were active a week ago, did they detect the recent growth of the sinkhole ?

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

Ok, the meeting was useless, no new info.

As for the production zone let me look into that. I believe that would be the pictures I showed y'all from the other night. This recent spout of tremors have been acoring since Monday and there was no report of new sloughing. I hope they post up the new flyover soon, that is pretty much the only way the public can see the monster.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   

hmmm, no new info eh ?
i do find that surprising since reading the posts about St Germain and then stumbling across this interview with Rep Harrison, dated 11/5.

i wonder what "A lot" really means in this case

enenews.com...
Louisiana State Representative Joe Harrison: The potential of it is substantial.

Host Marlin Folse: It could go a lot further?

Harrison: Yes, and that is the concern.
[...]
Folse: Are you convinced… are the people being leveled with up to this point before the meeting, if they’ve got about all of information that you need to get out, or do you think they’re still hiding some underneath the carpet?

Harrison: There is still a lot of information that has to come out. A lot… I don’t want to misspeak or start any rumors or make accusations, that’s not what my job is.

if the dome is collapsing from an outer edge as recent graphs indicate, this could become much like a vacuum and swallow all kinds of terrain into its depths and quick-like too.
then again, the graphs are created in a linear pattern, who's to say that's correct ?

one of the solution holes (sinkhole to me) we frequent is actually a warm mineral spring but it's form is that of an hour-glass and all below the surface ... www.warmmineral.com...
another link ... www.warmmineral.com... [water chem & archives]

no telling how much of a void exists but the Earth will fill it as she needs.
i pray for anyone in the way.

from all of what i've read thus far, the 3D imaging of the area are all proprietary property so at this point, i wonder if the "officials" really have a full picture of the problem or just Corp rhetoric and hearsay.

ETA -- for those who don't know about sinkhole 'variety', this might help ... it has to do with the ground/surface structure and sediments ... to me, they are all sinkholes, regardless.
www.sinkholes.com...
edit on 24-11-2012 by Honor93 because: ETA

edit on 24-11-2012 by Honor93 because: typos

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 02:50 AM
link   

It appears to me that we are getting WAY TOO FAR into this situation for them to be calling meetings with no new information. Someone has to be asleep at the wheel. Either that or someone who stands to lose a lot is stalling for time to cover their collective a$$es. I don't know which is worse, not knowing anything after this much time or deliberate obfuscation. Either way the real losers will be the people who live in the area of the sinkhole.

posted on Nov, 24 2012 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by happykat39

It appears to me that we are getting WAY TOO FAR into this situation for them to be calling meetings with no new information. Someone has to be asleep at the wheel. Either that or someone who stands to lose a lot is stalling for time to cover their collective a$$es. I don't know which is worse, not knowing anything after this much time or deliberate obfuscation. Either way the real losers will be the people who live in the area of the sinkhole.
It amazes me that they have yet to release to test results of what is at the bottom of that cavern. CB- next meeting see if you can get someone to ask for those results. They have to know.

Sink hole that doesn't show signs of stabilizing yet, lack of information from officials. Tremors in the area. Nasty gas that should have been trapped inside a capstone is released, now they will try capping that. Wonders on how stable the whole bayou area is. And how far is that nuclear plant from the sinkhole. Yup, lots going on and it just keeps building.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I've participated in some of the meetings and I can tell you that it's been asked everytime and will probably continue now because of the H2S. I'm not looking forward to when DNR approves the plug... That would put Southeast Louisiana in danger.

That nuclear power is less than 100 miles from the hole.
edit on 25-11-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Below is a recent article that concerns the sinkhole. Some of the information is questionable. Either I have missed some updates or this author is greatly exaggerating and has his information confused. From the article:

On June 22 state officials began monitoring the gas coming up from the bayou for hydrogen sulfide, carbon dioxide and the explosive levels of natural gasses.
I don't recall officials ever saying that the natural gas was at explosive levels.

Texas Brine removed 1,320 barrels of oil from its failed cavern between Tuesday afternoon and Thursday evening and replaced the oil with an equal amount of brine to keep the cavern formation stable.
I don't recall reading that they were removing oil this week. I thought this statement above was questionable.

Monster sinkhole sparks catastrophe worries

Anyways, above is the link to the article. Whether it is correct or not, it is causing chatter about this issue. The more chatter the more attention.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

It wasn't the natural gas was at explosive levels, it was a new gas coming out that at low concentrations would kill or explode. Hydrogen Sulfide has been detected this week at a vent well site. H2S is what escalated the dangerousness of this situation this week.

Though they say they have not detected anymore H2S, I do not believe for a second that it is not there. DNR gave them the go ahead to plug the well permanently. These next few weeks will be interesting if or when this H2S starts to be detected in the shallow well aquifer.... everyone in the area lives on top this aquifer, as do I... Though we pump most of the water from Bayou Lafourche and treat it, one of the bubble sites is located in the bayou. To me this is going to touch all water supplies in the 3 parishes south of Assumption. (St. Mary, Terrebonne, and Lafourche Parish.)

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
assumptionla.wordpress.com...

Texas Brine Facility

Oxy 3-A Cavern Well –

· Shut in to build pressure

Vent Well to Top of Aquifer –

· Shut in, awaiting adjustment to improve flaring efficiency

Vent Well to Top of Cap Rock –

· Shut in pending plug and abandon operations

Sinkhole Site –

· No cleanup operations today

Conservation/Shaw Operations

Observation/Vent Well #1 –

· Casing perforated in preparation for flaring operations – monitoring pressures to determine impacts of nearby flaring of Observation/Vent Well #2

Observation/Vent Well #2 –

· Flaring gas at 42 mcf/day

Observation/Vent Well #3 –

· Preparing well to begin flaring operations

Observation/Vent Well #4 –

· Shut in, making adjustments to improve flaring efficiency

Bayou Corne Community

· Participating in ongoing in-home monitoring effort with DEQ

I still don't understand why they only operate during the day... I passed by one of the vent wells today on my trip up there. Not much pressure right now. It seems most of the crazy things happen at night.

I've also just realized something. Every time something happened at the hole, within a week of a full moon. On Aug 3rd when this started was a full moon and the bubble sites began within the week of a full moon. Are we seeing the moon's gravity act on this? If someone can try and help me get a timeline of the most active events we can put it on a calender and see what phase the moon was in. I am just spit balling here to see if there might be any outside forces acting upon the hole as well.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Tidal forces related to moon phases are suspected as causes of some geological disturbances including earthquakes. There are four types of tide...

1 - Low tide. It is the time when the tide is low obviously.

2 - High tide. Same as above.

3 - Ebb tide. this is the lowest of the low tides and is related to the relative positions of the moon and the sun where the sun's gravity has the most effect to counteract the pull of the moon.

4 - Neap tide. This is the highest of the high tides and again is related to the relative positions of the moon and the sun where the sun's gravity has the most effect to reinforce the pull of the moon.

During normal low and high tides the sun and moon are not in position to have maximum effect either way.

It is the neap tide, and to a lesser extent the ebb tide, that is thought to cause the most geological disturbance. At neap tide the water displacement puts the most pressure on the geological structure and at ebb tide the water displacement is less and therefore puts the least pressure on the geological structure.

Think of it this way, when the tide is high there are several more feet of water over the high tide area, and that water has weight. More weight = more pressure. Also, the cyclic nature of the tides act as a pump to force water into the faults at high tide and lets that water flow back out at low tide. While the effect of this is small it does, over enough time, cause erosion of the faults and makes it easier for them to slip and cause an earthquake.

Since the gulf coast in some ways looks like a Swiss cheese, high and low tides could conceivably put a variable pressure on the onshore underground structure. This is all mostly speculation at this time but there has been some evidence that the neap tide has triggered earthquakes in some areas that are seismically active.

Now for the gasses...

If the people in the area are lucky the plugging of the well that produced the H2S will once again contain it. But if the H2S permeates the area around the sinkhole it will eventually find it's way to the surface no matter what they do. We need to pray that the H2S is confined to the cap rock and plugging the well will stop it. But the way things have been unraveling down there I am not going to hold my breath waiting for good news; unless, of course, I am down there and smell rotten eggs.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 06:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by CajunBoy
reply to post by AuntB

It wasn't the natural gas was at explosive levels, it was a new gas coming out that at low concentrations would kill or explode. Hydrogen Sulfide has been detected this week at a vent well site. H2S is what escalated the dangerousness of this situation this week.

Thanks for backing me up on that CB. I couldn't recall the natural gases being at explosive levels. I recall all of the bubbling monitors stating that the levels were not at explosive levels. So I would say we have an article that maybe sensationalizing the facts.

I can see your concern regarding this new gas that was released last week. I have always felt that this incident (sinkhole) would comprising the aquifer.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:03 PM
link   
I am studying up on cap rocks and hydrogen sufide. Salt domes and hydrogen sulfide seem to go hand in hand.

Irregularities in the thickness of salt dome cap rock are associated with similar irregularities in the top of the salt. These irregularities may result from spines of movement which serve as avenues for the expulsion of cap rock minerals. The presence of hydrogen sulphide, sulphur and pressured brine at depth in salt domes adds support to a sub-salt origin for cap rock.

Domes which have undergone the most upward growth are more likely to have a greater number of the minerals which precipitated early in the evaporite sequence.
Sub-Salt Origin of Salt Dome Cap Rock
The salt dome in Assumption has undergone a change to an edge of it. This could indicate that capping the hydrogen sulfide leak may not be easy or permanent.

posted on Nov, 25 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

Thanks for backing me up on that CB. I couldn't recall the natural gases being at explosive levels. I recall all of the bubbling monitors stating that the levels were not at explosive levels. So I would say we have an article that maybe sensationalizing the facts.

WND, or World Net daily, is known for it's sensationalist reporting. I used to post on a site that flat out would not let members post anything from WND because of it.

You also make a good point about the damage to the edge of the cap rock. That could be somewhat good news as it would mean that the H2S would only affect the area around the sink hole and not the whole bayou system. Keeping fingers (and arms, toes, legs and eyes) crossed that the H2S situation doesn't get significantly worse.

new topics

top topics

active topics

<< 21  22  23    25  26  27 >>

join