It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

page: 20
<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

If they are admitting that much I wonder how much they are not admitting? It looks like your parish officials are keeping you informed to the best of their ability but I never have, and never will, completely trust any company that stands to lose a ton of money by being totally honest.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by happykat39

The Parish officials have been trying there damnest to get this fixed and protect the citizens they were elected by. Were the breakdown happens is at the state level and the federal level remains quiet. If the federal government can declare it a disaster area, things will DEFINITELY be done, well at least I would like to believe things would get done.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Here is the new meeting vid, fresh of the camera! Also again... Viewer discretion is advised for p-off Cajuns.
edit on 14-11-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CajunBoy

The Parish officials have been trying there damnest to get this fixed and protect the citizens they were elected by. Were the breakdown happens is at the state level and the federal level remains quiet. If the federal government can declare it a disaster area, things will DEFINITELY be done, well at least I would like to believe things would get done.
I know I have been very vocal on the absent Govenor but I finally think I understand why. If Jindal did visit the bayou it would be news. If it is news then attention would be brought to the subject. If attention is brought to the subject people would be demanding results. IMO people do really care about the earth, they get furious when companies do things that affect people, wildlife and the planet itself. People still haven't got over the outrage of the BP oil spill. If the general public learned that year prior Texas Brine wrote a letter concerned that the cavern may have issues and if the public learned that the letter was filed without raising flags, outrage would be abundant. I learn most of my news from The Advocate. That seems to be the most trustworthy news source. The other news sources covering this issue (Examiner & enews) are not taken seriously by the public.

What causes me great concern is the lack of test results. I find it hard to believe that the results from what is at the bottom of the cavern have not come back. How long has it been? I can think two ways about this time length, the material is normal and their labs are deathly slow or I can assume that the substance at the bottom of that cavern is not good and they are trying to figure out how to cover their a$$es.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   
It makes sense to me that he has talked with "above him" and they have decided the less media attention the better.

Heck, No one seems to really know what is gonna happen.

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 06:20 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

Actually, we just confirmed Bobby is alive! First we hear about him in a while.
www.politico.com...

It is off topic but he has been getting ready to change the republican party and start his run for 2016. As for why people don't take the Examiner seriously is because of some of the backgrounds on some of the writers trying to sensationalize the situation. Debera Dupre has been absent on the sinkhole issue for a while but I giver he props for saying this is a major health issue before it was declared such. Then again anyone can say something involving hydrocarbons is a health issue. As for enews it is usually copy and paste from the Examiner.

Some residents are tossing around the idea to toss a bomb down the hole and blow the crack close which in theory seems plausible. A downward force could effectively close the effected area. Problem is the methane and where it is at. This same idea was tossed around for the BP oil leak but on a much larger scale involving a nuke. Had a conversation with Brie on this very issue and she made a good point that it may set off a chain of events that will cause more damage than help. I'm all for a controlled explosion under right circumstances. I'm just a southern Cajun boy who loves a good explosion or two

posted on Nov, 14 2012 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

Again with the controlled explosion idea...has it ever been done?? Or would this be an experiment? Still think that it would be a tremendous mistake to drop a bomb into a hole filled with methane, and other explosive materials. And what did you say the Governor of L.A is thinking about running in 2016..interesting.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:01 AM
link   
reply to post by BrieBird

He is now head of the Republicans Governors Associations, he takes that up next week. What I do respect about him is he stayed with his state first even when he was top candidate for a VP run. He has an eye on that 2016 president race now.

But as for the control explosion, it has been used in the oil industry in the past but in a different sense. Whenever they would have an oil gusher than caught flame they would use an explosion to blow it out. That same pressure that would blow out a flame could do a down pressure on the crack and seal it. And if you think about it, if that explosion was to suck in all the air, it wouldn't necessarily ignite the methane

That would be a good question for happykat to answer if that would be plausible.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheOtter

Originally posted by AuntB

Would like to point out in this update that they state the cavern floor has risen... 10 feet since Oct 19th 52 feet since Sept 24th
That is 42 feet of debris. I am not a mathematical genius but I am sure somewhere someone is figuring the mass and dimensions.

I like they way they have phrased it. The cavern floor has "risen". It make it sound like the earth is just naturally shifting upwards, rather than the cavern and terrain tumbling into the manmade void. Clever way to minimize it. SMH.

A few pages back, there was some news released about this cave floor rising. It is still not clear if that is a twist on words to make it seem like the hole is just closing up on its own. I inclined to think that they just have no clue still... Or know a lot and it is way to scary to say!

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by TheOtter

I would like to think that Jindal, and even Obama (whom I can't stand, and don't trust), don't want a media circus down there, along with all the fringe protestors and such.. I hope the "local authorities" do have the local citizens interest at heart, as it appears, the "experts" don't even know what could happen.

To my uneducated opinion, I think the salt caverns extend to the Gulf, and we're looking at a possible mass explosion, should there be an earthquake of some sort?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by CajunBoy
reply to post by BrieBird

He is now head of the Republicans Governors Associations, he takes that up next week. What I do respect about him is he stayed with his state first even when he was top candidate for a VP run. He has an eye on that 2016 president race now.

But as for the control explosion, it has been used in the oil industry in the past but in a different sense. Whenever they would have an oil gusher than caught flame they would use an explosion to blow it out. That same pressure that would blow out a flame could do a down pressure on the crack and seal it. And if you think about it, if that explosion was to suck in all the air, it wouldn't necessarily ignite the methane

That would be a good question for happykat to answer if that would be plausible.

When an oil well fire is put out with explosives pressure, as such, has nothing to do with it. What actually happens is that the explosion consumes all the oxygen around the well fire and starves it. The explosion is also set off several yards above the well head. The fire fighters then make sure that they flood the well head with water so the heated metal doesn't re-ignite the flame. A very good movie to see that covers this subject quite well is "Hell Fighters" starring John Wayne. It is the true story of Red Adair who pioneered the explosive snuffing of oil well fires. Finally, as to pressure, there is no real pressure placed on the well since the explosion takes place several yards above it and not in it.

The proposal to seal off the B P Macondo well with a nuke was not a totally new idea. It just hadn't been done in a well a mile down under the water. Where it had been done is in Siberia when the Russians tapped into a deep well with too much pressure to handle. That well was being drilled in the Siberian Tundra. They shoved a nuke right down the wells throat and the black glass chamber it created sealed the well off.

With the B P Macondo well they couldn't shove a nuke straight down the casing since the drilling platform was no longer there, having been destroyed in the initial fire and explosion. Plus, the well itself along with the blow out prevention valve were too damaged even if the platform were still in place. The plan, if they were to do it at all was to drill two new shafts off to the side of the Macondo well and come in at an angle to meet the original well at great depth. They proposed to use the upper of the two relief wells to tap directly into the original well with better equipment that could handle the pressure and to force heavy drilling mud and cement into the original well so that as it rose up the casing the weight of it would stop the flow. They had little success with that and the second, and lower, relief well was supposed to be drilled close to the original well but not break into it. Then they would send a nuke down to create the same kind of black glass seal that stopped the Russian well.

However, they finally managed to cut the old blow out prevention valve off and install a new well head control and that finally stopped the blow out. It has since come out that the original well casing was far too damaged and oil and methane have continued to infuse into the sea bed from the damaged areas of the well. That is why an area of about 25 miles radius around the well is bulging and still leaking oil and methane. And, that is also why there is still concern about a possible eruption of that 25 mile radius area of the sea bed if too much pressure builds up and weakens the rock structure.

The idea of using a bomb of any kind on the salt dome is a totally different animal. First of all, the whole area around the salt dome is destabilizing and fracturing. Secondly, nothing about the salt dome is anywhere near as deep as the 5 mile depth, plus a mile under the water, of the Macondo well. That means that any bomb they use is going to have to be a very shallow explosion compared to the one used in the Russian well and proposed for the Macondo well. My personal opinion as an engineer, but not a geologist, is that such a bomb would be a disastrous mistake and could accelerate the failure of the entire salt dome system.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:00 AM
link   
CORRECTION TO PREVIOUS POST

caught this too late to correct it in the original post.

This...

First of all, the whole area around the salt dome is destabilizing and fracturing.

Should have read...

First of all, the whole area around the sinkhole is destabilizing and fracturing.

edit on 15-11-2012 by happykat39 because: typo

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 10:02 AM
link   
This is the the Assumption Parish police jury photo stream. A photo archive of everything the police jury was involved in around the parish. It goes back to 2011 when they opened the Morganza Spillway and all the communities had to get ready for that. It has every aerial picture taken since the start of the hole.

www.flickr.com...

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:22 PM
link   

My personal opinion as an engineer, but not a geologist, is that such a bomb would be a disastrous mistake and could accelerate the failure of the entire salt dome system.

That is my opinion also, you do not want to chance destabilizing the whole dome. I couldn't even guess how much time it would require to remove all that is stored in that dome. That chance could not be taken.

I just looked at the photos CB linked and it looks like the sinkhole is getting murkier. It looked cleaner and these recent photos look like stuff has surfaced or things have been stirred up. Have there been large rain storms in the area?

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I was surprised to read a post above. My opinion is and has been that this sinkhole is not a lone issue. I feel that this is a result of a bigger problem going on. Now I never heard the test results on the slick that was floating on the sinkhole. Some speculate that we are looking at oil from BP out in the Gulf. I have read speculations that the Corexit that is/was used in BP spill is traveling far and fast destabilizing the whole area. Looking at the photos, that is all flat marshy land, with the hurricanes pushing GOM water inland those speculations could have merit.

posted on Nov, 15 2012 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

Last rainstorm in the area was the day November 4th, and it was heavy. I remember that because that was when I was packing up camp lol. Other than that it has been dry dry dry.

And to answer your question about the chemical removal out of the caverns. Most of the caverns on the sinkhole side the dome was removed. As for the other half, I do believe they are still being stored. Chevron has removed all it's chemicals from the dome. As for the other companies, I am not so sure.

On that Corexit issue you brought up being pushed into the marsh. I live in the coastal parish of Lafourche, but closer to Assumption Parish, and the closer you get to the coast the more beautiful the marsh gets. I was in favor of just dumping a whole bunch of Dawn Dish Detergent in the GoM and at least that would of been a lot better than Corexit. St. Mary, Terrebonne, Jefferson, Plaquemines, and St. Bernard Parishes are some of the largest coastal wetlands in the state and I would not be surprised if Hurricane Issac pushed some of that chemical into the wetlands. But to your comment about destabilizing the area, I am going to do some research on that. If corexit as a chemical can break down carbon based fossil fuels and be a serious health hazard, no telling what it is doing to the land.

LOL @ Happykat, I knew a typo must of been involved so I did not touch on that subject. It is only natural that hole in the ground of this magnitude and the composite of the land around it would fracture. The only thing really hold the top layer together is the cypress and oak trees. If it wasn't for the trees it would have been a lake already.
edit on 15-11-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
I am not sure what is going on in my state's offshore areas... but another rig is on fire now. Two in less than a month.

enenews.com...

posted on Nov, 16 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Also surfing the web, there was something I didn't catch in the private resident meeting video...

enenews.com... nt-page-1

Looks like the Feds have been monitoring this hole.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Louisiana sinkhole grows to 8 acres — Witness: “Ridiculous” amount of oil outside hole — 80,000 gallons of oil removed from surface (VIDEO)

source

I don't know how fresh this news is but the byline date is today 11/17/2012.

posted on Nov, 17 2012 @ 10:08 PM
link   

The news is accurate. They said a couple weeks ago that they got most of the oil from the hole. Big lie! I posted a video earlier in this thread showing a method they were trying out to skim the oil and debris out of the hole. The video was made by a company trying to show off it's product. It was ridiculous the amount of oil!

new topics

top topics

<< 17  18  19    21  22  23 >>

join