It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tremors felt 45 miles away from Bayou Corne Sinkhole!

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by CajunBoy

Thanks lurk, still don't know how to imbed vids lol.

Hey no problem all ya do is highligh the last little part after the = sign

www.youtube.com...>>>5wkyFd0COtI

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by lurksoften

thank you! now I can start posting some interesting things now lol

posted on Oct, 23 2012 @ 11:54 PM
link   

glad i could help

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by CajunBoy
reply to post by happykat39

Thanks lurk, still don't know how to imbed vids lol.

Actually happy it is. All salt domes on the Gulf Coast in Louisiana and Texas are connected by a layer of salt called allochthonous salt sheet. I'm still doing my research on Salt Tectonics, very interesting subject really.

A little brief wiki article: en.wikipedia.org...

I posted earlier in my thread about the Temperate-Baton Rouge fault system and the South Louisiana Allochthon. It is already clear the land is subsiding from the rest of the continent and this may just speed up the process but we still need a little more information on that oil.

If test come back conclusive that it is oil from the Macondo well, we have 2 things to look at: The South Louisiana Allochthon or the New Madrid fault. But my money is on the SLE subsidence that just got put on steroids.

Here is picture to give y'all a quick look at what I am actually talking about with the SLE and the Temperate-Baton Rouge fault system::

Research done by NOAA: www.geodesy.noaa.gov...

Lengthy to read, but it is a good read none the less

edit on 23-10-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

edit on 23-10-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

Two comments...

first, I was going to go into more detail about how salt layers form and salt domes form from the layers but your link to the Wiki article explained it quite well. If anyone is still in the dark I suggest they read the Wiki article. A good example of how a salt layer is formed from evaporation of sea water is the Bonneville Salt Flats. The Bonneville flats are the first stage of the formation of a subterranean salt layer that has yet to be buried by either tectonic movement or sedimentary deposits.

Second, while the salt domes are indeed very connected, there are still many of them that have not been mined and still have their salt intact. While I believe you are correct that some of the seepage could be coming through them, I also believe that the faults and fractures in the bedrock would provide the path of least resistance for long range seepage and therefore that would be the first way the seepage would manifest itself up in the bayous with seepage through the salt dome system manifesting at a later date.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 08:04 AM
link   
Morning to you all- I just finished reading Happykat's post, I am sad and depressed. For the officials to admit at the meeting that it is not safe, to me speaks volumes. I think we are going to see the continued deterioration. You all have given me lots to read and study regarding the geology of salt domes and the gulf. I knew when I read reports of the houses shifting in the Assumption area that this was no minor issue but now I wonder where it will end.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by AuntB

Not sure if i heard correctly in the meeting but they said the potential for it to get as big as 1500 feet across and is only 500ft across as of right now.

Also another note they have not started vented gasses due to problem with holes.

Still dont know when residents are going to be able to return due to the unknowns of what might still happen due to they have never seen this before so have no idea exactly what could happen in the future.

Those were the main points that i got from warching the meeting.

Oh and not sure why they have not gotten back the tests from the crude oil they found in there. Why so long?
Didnt take that long for them to found out about the sheen in the gulf last month and were it came from.
edit on 24-10-2012 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 10:38 AM
link   
They have no answers because like Gary Hecox said "The Louisiana sinkhole disaster is unprecedented anywhere in the world — Nobody’s ever dealt with this before — Not even any decent case studies that tell us how to proceed"
This is a waiting game of hope for the best but, we have no idea what the worst case scenerio could be.
edit on 24-10-2012 by BrieBird because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:07 PM
link   
reply to post by BrieBird

Dr. Hecox has earned the respect of the people of Bayou Corne, he is a no bs type guy. He was not fabricating answers to questions he could not answer.

He pretty much said, the only danger here is the unknown. He has the balls to say it and realize he wont be lynched for it.
edit on 24-10-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Wouldn't the fractures then let water into the salt layer thus start washing it away over that 2 year span since the oil spill? It could be both water and hydrocarbons being pushed into the salt layer. Like I said earlier, we wont know for sure if this is a fesable theory unless we get those test done or it starts happening to a separate dome on the plate.

I'm just shooting out theories if it is a symptom of the oil spill in 2012. I myself still believe it is a localized freak disaster.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:33 PM
link   
While I am fearful for the people near the Bayou Corne sinkhole and am including them in my prayers, we also need to understand that if the worst case scenario of the New Madrid fault zone rupturing as predicted by Edgar Cayce occurs because of the Bayou Corne sinkhole (and related damage), the area of destruction will spread far and wide from the actual New Madrid zone.

When the three quakes of 1811/1812 happened there was enough seismic disturbance to ring church bells in Boston Ma.

If the New Madrid splits as bad as Cayce predicts the collateral damage will be much worse than just ringing a few church bells. In fact, that much seismic disturbance could cause massive destruction well to the east and west of the fault zone. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that severe damage and loss of life could extend as far as some of the east coast.

If you are a religious person of any denomination you need to be praying that the whole idea of the New Madrid fault zone going off to that extent is nothing more than bull droppings. But it seems that the U S Navy takes it seriously enough to have published the map in the link below.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Actually we could both be right. And yes, we won't know for sure until the long overdue reports come in.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   

I actually seen a navy map of this incident on TV and I am trying to find it again. It gave me hope because there was a coastal island still left in Louisiana. It just so happens it is exactly where I live. It is 14ft above sea level. It is the closest to the Gulf you can get and still be above sea level lol.

I'm a devote Catholic and I know my life is in the hands of God and no other. Have faith because there is always a plan.

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 01:55 PM
link   

I have also thought of Edgar Cayce's prediction of earth changes. This very well could be it. I have seen that navy map before very scary. However, it has been awhile since I have brushed up on his prophesies regarding this matter any links to the actual prediction?

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrieBird

I have also thought of Edgar Cayce's prediction of earth changes. This very well could be it. I have seen that navy map before very scary. However, it has been awhile since I have brushed up on his prophesies regarding this matter any links to the actual prediction?

Edgar Cayce's prophecy was fairly straight forward and it is that prophecy that the U S Navy map was based on. Here is a LINK to a page with a lot of interesting information that connects the BP Macondo well failure to the rupturing of the New Madrid fault and also includes some indication that problems in the coastal regions due to oil and gas seepage could play a part.

The information on this rather long page covers many aspects of the prediction and it's ramifications.

here is a part that refers to the problem of methane seepage and explosion.

Now lets look at another problem, that of Methane coming to the surface and affecting the southern region, possibly exploding? How much will escape to the atmosphere, how much will catch fire and will those potential fires be extinguished if they are fed by these huge Coal bed Methane Fields released and coming to the surface?

And somewhere down the page is one map that seems to fit your description of the island left in the middle of the new inland sea.
edit on 24-10-2012 by happykat39 because: added info

posted on Oct, 24 2012 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Before we go an jump to any conclusion i would like to find out were that oil came from first.

Texas Brine, LLC UPDATE October 23, 2012
1. Observation Well monitoring continued today. No liquid hydrocarbons or brine were removed from the well or casing.
2. The removal of liquid hydrocarbons from the sinkhole surface continued, utilizing the skimming equipment employed for that purpose. No changes in the size or other characteristics of the sinkhole were observed.
3. Efforts continue toward the completion of the shallow aquifer relief well.

Source

– Next public briefing to be determined

• Shaw E&I’s contractor completed site preparation for the ORW-4 observation/vent well on the south side of Hwy 70. • Shaw E&I continuing to collect water samples from the shallow water Geoprobes.

– DEQ has engaged the Shaw group to conduct cause diagnostics including bi-weekly sampling of industrial wells and opportunistic sampling of bubble sites. – Fingerprint analysis of cavern hydrocarbon collected 23 Sep 2012. Results demonstrated that the product was unrefined crude.

– Test on ORW-1 and ORW-2 confirmed that the perforations are clogged

– Shaw E&I’s contractor installing an observation/vent well (ORW-4) on the south side of Hwy 70.

Source

Gov’t Expert: Louisiana sinkhole disaster unprecedented anywhere in world — Nobody’s ever dealt with this before — Not even any decent case studies that tell us how to proceed

S ource
edit on 24-10-2012 by lurksoften because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Ladies and gentlemen,

This week has been a really active week. The current time is 7:20 AM CST and dawn is just breaking. Since 5:00 AM, 6 tremors have been felt. Really strong ones. Been receiving calls from friends all morning near the hole. They agreed to help me get the info out on ATS. So they are reporting all to me.

As of 6:00 am CST, a helicopter has been reported flying over the sinkhole in the dark as well as police at a hazmat trailer near the hole.

Will keep y'all posted.
edit on 25-10-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

edit on 25-10-2012 by CajunBoy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 07:39 AM
link   
folkworm.ceri.memphis.edu...

Here ya go guys, back to the seismic meters. You can see, it has been a really active morning.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Also, Dr. Hecox reported that the oil is from a oil well adjacent to the salt dome and not the Macondo well. I am in the process in trying to find the report.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   

So...is this a good thing? Is this what they had hoped to find? What are the implications of this discovery and have you felt anymore tremers since this morning? I know this is a loaded reply, sorry.

posted on Oct, 25 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by BrieBird

So...is this a good thing? Is this what they had hoped to find? What are the implications of this discovery and have you felt anymore tremers since this morning? I know this is a loaded reply, sorry.

IMHO - Even if the oil is not from Macondo all it does is separate the two events from each other. But both remain as threats that need to be watched for future developments. However, the effect on this thread would be to put most further mentions of Macondo off topic.

Considering that the officials don't even know what to do this still remains a huge black hole of an event and only time will tell now what lies in wait for the area.

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join