It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Prayer Thread - For All Peoples

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by GafferUK1981
It's been scientifically proven that prayer actually results in a negative effect for those who are been prayed for.

Hospital patients who are told that they are been prayed for actually start to get worse as they don't fight as much as they believe god is helping them. Obviously god does not exist so the effect is derogatory to the patient.

I actually find this thread quite insulting, asking an atheist to pray is ridiculous. A prayer is aimed at a higher being who atheists know does not exist.

I am quite happy to offer my best wishes to people who are ill but I'll never ever pray as long as I live. It's a complete waste of time.

I totally disagree with you, and demand a link to back up your insult to the rest of us.

Your negativity in this thread, is like a gnat flying around one's face in Summer heat...once the sun sets, the gnat is gone. Begone gnat....

Des

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:27 PM
link   
reply to post by GafferUK1981

It's been scientifically proven that prayer actually results in a negative effect for those who are been prayed for.

There have been many studies on this..and some state otherwise.

www.newsmaxhealth.com...

Like the op stated ..I really don't think it could hurt.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

web.med.harvard.edu...

This is one of I suspect many studies that show the pointlessness of prayer.

In the history of planet earth nothing has ever happened to indicate that there is a god. On the contrary mankind has discovered how the universe works and god is not a part of it.

I know you delusional religious folks would like atheists to go away but we will only grow in number as good education spreads.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:43 PM
link   

web.med.harvard.edu...

In the history of planet earth nothing has ever happened to indicate that there is a god. On the contrary mankind has discovered how the universe works and god is not a part of it.

I know you delusional religious folks would like atheists to go away but we will only grow in number as good education spreads.

I'm sorry you feel that way.

There have been miracles produced by intercessory prayer, and many healings that have baffled doctors.

www.is-there-a-god.info...

I could list more than have been attributed to the intercession of saints, granted through the grace and power of Jesus, but I fear you are really not interested.

May you find the love and healing grace of Jesus.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 01:44 PM
link   

web.med.harvard.edu...

There are a multitude of studies to the contrary. Does it make you feel better bringing down the energy of a positive thread. This thread is for the sending of positive energy to people who may not even know they are the recipients. That doesn't fit into the parameters of your contention that recipients don't try as hard if they think outside forces are in play on their side....does it.

Why don't you start a separate thread with your point of view, and leave us to generate positive energy for those who may need it. This is a Prayer request thread....not an, is Prayer real debate. Big difference.

Des

edit on 7-10-2012 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

Don't give me that Jesus nonsense. If he even existed he was nothing more than a con man or a good speaker like hitler.

Do you even know the history of your abrahamic religion. Islam is the bastard child if Christianity and Christianity is the bastard child of Judaism and they're all rubbish. You might as well believe in Zeus.

Give me a link to a true scientific site that proves miracles. Not some religious made up mumbo jumbo nonsense.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:08 PM
link   

I'm do glad you used Lourdes as an example. Do you know that in fact nobody ever has been cured there. To the contrary people have actually caught diseases there from so many people sharing the dirty water.

Terrible example!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:11 PM
link   

Don't give me that Jesus nonsense. If he even existed he was nothing more than a con man or a good speaker like hitler.

Do you even know the history of your abrahamic religion. Islam is the bastard child if Christianity and Christianity is the bastard child of Judaism and they're all rubbish. You might as well believe in Zeus.

Give me a link to a true scientific site that proves miracles. Not some religious made up mumbo jumbo nonsense.

I fear nothing would convince you..even if I showed you proof.

I think it might be wise of you to take your thoughts and make your own thread.

Has your unbelief in any mumbo jumbo cause you this hatred and negativity?

You have the right to not believe in anything, but all you are proving by bashing the goodwill in this thread, is that some nonbelievers are cruel and uncaring.

I am grateful that not all nonbelievers are of your mindset, and have the decency to let those that believe in prayer, the freedom to do so, without cruel insults.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

I'm do glad you used Lourdes as an example. Do you know that in fact nobody ever has been cured there. To the contrary people have actually caught diseases there from so many people sharing the dirty water.

Terrible example!

lol.. it was I who used the example, and you are wrong about Lourdes.

What has caused you to become so hateful?

I suggest that those who are willing send out prayers for you...I know I will.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:26 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Send out as many prayers as you wish. There is no one to receive them.

You probably think I am lost or strayed from done flock but I am more free than you will ever be because I do not have the weight if nonsensical religion weighing me down.

I am free in body and mind. It's called being aware of reality.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Sending prayers to those in need and bless the unbelievers as they are my brothers an sisters in Christ.
Shalom

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by dizziedame

I tell you what, lets go to a hospital ward and take half the patients away from the doctors. For those patients you can pray for them and if he exists your god will save them. The other half will be cared for by the doctors, which half do you think will have the best survival rate.

Be honest!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I appreciate my previous post may have overstepped the mark and being insulting to the religious. However as an atheist I find the above post saying 'bless the non believers' equally insulting and feel that also warrants removal.

It is a condescending statement by a person who chooses to believe in something although all evidence is against it and no factual evidence supports their beliefs. I feel it is wrong that somebody such as myself who believes in the truth and the evidence should be moderated more than those who make statements based on a book that amounts to no more than a fairy tale.
edit on 7-10-2012 by GafferUK1981 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:38 PM
link   

You probably think I am lost or strayed from done flock but I am more free than you will ever be because I do not have the weight if nonsensical religion weighing me down.

You don't have to be religious to pray or to show concern and compassion for your fellow man. I believe in a higher power, it doesn't matter if you call it God, Buddah, Alah, Jesus etc, we all come from the same source. The purpose of this thread is to combine our energy, love, compassion and even a call to this higher power to help, to give hope. You are only serving to derail this thread from its original purpose.

I too am free but realize that we are more than just a physical body and that there is more to life than you may realize. Please respect that there are many here who wish to help others in any way that we can.

When I was fighting with cancer, it helped me a great deal to know that others were praying or sending positive vibes and wishing me the best. There is much power in love and compassion and prayer or whatever positive influence you can make to anothers well being.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:47 PM
link   

I appreciate my previous post may have overstepped the mark and being insulting to the religious. However as an atheist I find the above post saying 'bless the non believers' equally insulting and feel that also warrants removal.

It is a condescending statement by a person who chooses to believe in something although all evidence is against it and no factual evidence supports their beliefs. I feel it is wrong that somebody such as myself who believes in the truth and the evidence should be moderated more than those who make statements based on a book that amounts to no more than a fairy tale.

I can respect that you are an atheist. It is your belief. Others either have a belief in a certain religion or are just spiritual and and do not follow any one particular path. There are compelling cases of after death experiences that may make you think twice, may make you reconsider. In any case, I wish you well, but please try to respect that others do not follow your belief.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 05:32 PM
link   

I sincerely apologize if I offended you with my remarks, and thinking about it, I can see why you feel that way.

You have the freedom to believe what you want, and the freedom to express it , and I hope you can respect my freedoms as well, as whacked out as you may think they are.
edit on 7-10-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Didn't you understand that this thread really has nothing to do with religion? There are as many scientific papers the show there is something to this prayer business as you can produce to show there isn't.

Here's why your not free. Here is why you are in bondage. You are so consumed by your notions of prayer not being real and having to impress that on people that you don't stop and see the hope it can give someone - no matter if it produces miracles from heaven or not - and that hope can effect a persons physiology in a way that can help them heal. that's a proven scientific fact. There are whole hospitals programs and medical communities that incorporate hope and prayer into their treatments - mainstream AMA doctors, not fringe healing centers for New Agers - no matter if there is a real spiritual component to it or not, the body will react to it. Of course this is for those people who pray or know that someone has prayed for them but there is also evidence in quantum physics that suggests this effects the person prayer for.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 06:48 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

Very well stated.

I consider myself agnostic, but I am searching for....something. I pray. I don't know if my prayers are hear, but that's almost secondary. It's the laying down of burdens and concerns, perhaps just confronting the trouble that helps.

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I am almost with you there but you seem to be overlapping prayer and hope. As an atheist I still have hope but it is not a religious notion, it is more of a desire.

I agree that hope can help people heal but it is not god healing the people, it is simply the hope that is giving them levity and the will to fight.

A strong person who wants to recover from an illness will always recover better than someone who has given up and has no fight.

God doesn't come into the equation, human strength and will to fight is what assists these people. Prayer can give people hope I will freely admit that but you can have hope without prayer.

<< 1    3 >>

join