It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Prayer Thread - For All Peoples

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:31 PM
link   
This thread could have easily been put in Philosophy and Metaphysics, or Paranormal Studies. If a Mod wants to change it be my guest but I posted it here because this forum is where most people who might relate to this topic hangs out.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I'm not a religious freak. I don't go to church like I should, I don't carry Jesus saves signs, I don't pray on a regular basis.

We here on ATS are a community. We love together, laugh together, cry together, get mad as Hell together, in our own way. Sometimes some of our members need help, they need guidance, they need Hope. We don't always know what to say to these peers of ours but we feel for them and what they are going through just the same.

I propose we do the one thing anyone can do for these people. Pray. This is a call to hard core atheists, agnostics and those that could give a flying cow patty about religion. This is a call to Muslims and Christians and Other religions who have many differences. It's not about religion. It's not about who's right or who's wrong. This thread, is about caring for your fellow man.

It doesn't have to be a long prayer. You don't even have to believe in the power of prayer or God or Allah or any higher power. Just for kicks you know.. even if you feel silly or think it's stupid - Why? Because it just MAY somehow make some kind of crazy difference for the better.

It's just repeating a few simple words. It really doesn't matter what those words are or who they are directed to - just be sure you say them from your heart. You don't even have to say A-Men.

Just say, " Hey, if There is a higher power, whoever you are, please be with _______ and help them in their time of need"

That's all you have to do. IF there is a higher power He/She/It will hear you. If there somehow are such things however unlikely as it seems as miracles then that person just may somehow find some hope and you bless your heart, may have helped to make that happen.

What could it hurt? Nothing. Nothing at all. If there is no higher power listening then your two seconds of words won't have hurt anything. I'm not asking you to do anything that will change your world view. I'm not asking for you to believe anything at all. Just some words that might help someone in need.

Think about it.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I know a member lets call him Mike. He needs prayer. His mother is very sick and she's old. Pray for Mike and his mother. I did. I haven't prayed in years but I did. I hope it helps.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:38 PM
link   
Beautiful thought, and I am with you 100% on the prayer.

I have prayed for "Mike" and his mother, and I will add a prayer for any members on this site who may be experiencing difficulties we are not aware of.
edit on 5-10-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I'm in. I'll also pray for Mike and his Mom and for anyone who needs it.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:19 PM
link   
Mike and his Mother are in my Prayers. Also sending Prayers for Strength to some members here going through difficult times with addictions.

Des

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:45 PM
link   
Is there any use in praying for others?

"The spirit of him who prays exercises an influence through his desire to do good. By prayer,
he attracts to himself good spirits who take part with him in the good he desires to do."

We possess in ourselves. through our thought and our will, a power of action that extends far beyond the limits of our corporeal sphere.To pray for' others is an act of our will. If our will be ardent and sincere, if calls good spirits to the aid of the party prayed for, and thus helps him by the suggestion of good thoughts, and by giving him the strength of body and of soul which he needs. But, in his case also, the prayer of the heart is everything; that of the lips is nothing.www.geae.inf.br...
edit on 5-10-2012 by Shadow Herder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Shadow Herder

the prayer of the heart is everything; that of the lips is nothing

I think the op was asking for prayer from the heart..if that is accompanied with prayer from the lips..it is the same.

As for my prayers..they are silent, and from the heart.

I'm not sure what your post was implying , but it appeared to diss the op's request for prayer for certain members.

I hope I am incorrect in how I perceived your post...it wouldn't be the first time I have taken a post in the wrong way.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Praying is real and works. The energy and emotion of the heart is more powerful than one can imagine. Sending love, hope, and well thoughts towards someone from the the heart fill them with love, and your intention as well as sending sympathetic spirits to aid.

The link in my last post is from a great book. A book that must be read.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by WhisperingWinds

the prayer of the heart is everything; that of the lips is nothing

I think the op was asking for prayer from the heart..if that is accompanied with prayer from the lips..it is the same.

What it means is that sitting there reciting prayers from a book or one you memorized means nothing. It is the ones that are backed by emotion, love, sympathy.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:49 AM
link   

What it means is that sitting there reciting prayers from a book or one you memorized means nothing. It is the ones that are backed by emotion, love, sympathy.

I hear you loud and clear on that thought, and agree wholeheartedly.

Thank you for clarifying, and thank you if you have joined in with a heartfelt prayer of any kind.

But I will add that prayers from books can be just as powerful if prayed from the heart, with pure intentions.
edit on 6-10-2012 by WhisperingWinds because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadow Herder
Praying is real and works. The energy and emotion of the heart is more powerful than one can imagine. Sending love, hope, and well thoughts towards someone from the the heart fill them with love, and your intention as well as sending sympathetic spirits to aid.

Yep, that's a good way to put it. But.. even if you don't believe in it. Perhaps, it still can work. Forget all your preconceived notions and react out of the caring you feel. That's all it takes. A reaction of caring - in a positive way. (that is pretty much what the poster above said. But I want to express to those who are atheist or agnostic)

Of course some Christians will say that this is only possible if you pray in the name of Jesus or God. For the purposes of this thread none of that matters. This is akin to sending positive thoughts to those in need. But in the name of prayer. This helps to eliminate any confusion or conflicting ideologies. -Bottom line- From the heart. No matter who you are, no matter where you come from, no matter what school of science you belong to, no matter agnostic theology field you belong to, (or whatever) the point is Prayer is The way you could help make a difference for your fellow man. It's worth giving it a try.
edit on 6-10-2012 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I'm one of those annoying agnostics types but there's nothing wrong in taking a moment to reflect on someone who could use a little hope and goodwill then speaking your 'prayer' heart and meaning.Like you say if nothing comes of it what harm could it do and if it did.

I often wonder if praying to a god,speaking an incantation,positive thinking or even the placebo effect have have a lot more in common than meets the eye.

The minds a powerful tool,maybe the compassion and good will from the heart could be projected with power of the mind for a positive outcome without the need for gods or good spirits

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:53 AM
link   
reply to post by fastbob72

Exactly. To me, it's no different than all the other things science cant explain. Just because you presently cant prove it, doesn't make it untrue. People need Hope. If that Hope comes from unscientific means, who are we to say it's not real, for them. It could make a big difference in their lives. To me, That's true science.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
What a beautiful thread and a great idea.

I'm agnostic,but I still pray. Makes no sense, i know. Anyway, count me in.

Des....thanks for the addiction mention...

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Can someone pray for me that my Nightmares that I get every night that keep getting worse and worse for God's sake finally end!?

I'm starting to go insane!

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by WhisperingWinds

That's exactly where the prayers should come from, Your Heart!
Pure, positive thoughts even if coming from your subconscious do act as a stronger energy that sends back negative energies. It all comes from within us (Collective Consciousness)
I know there are "bad" people in every religion or those who infiltrate, put aside your personal feelings and ask for God to give you clarity of mind aimed at helping others.

You can bash me all you want, but I'm living proof that every day i start with a prayer, my day is much better than the ones I don't. But that's me personally and I don't ask for things I don't need.

Many Blessings to those who really need it!
Amen

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:36 AM
link   

What a great quote! Absolutely wonderful.

Nice thread, JohnPhoenix. I will also say a prayer for 'Mike' and his mom.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnPhoenix

I pray for all mankind, that they may feel the love and mercy of our lord and know then that they are meant for better things than what men and women are getting up to around the world.

When niki minaj is on stage whoring it up, i just feel sorry for her that she feels she needs to do that stuff to have some self worth.

and similarly all the corporate bosses who need to go to all that trouble to feel something.

and if i saw barack obama or george bush id give them a hug and forgive them their evils and teach them of a better way,

and i will pray for mike and his mum and all people who need some happiness and support in their lives, just as i once did

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by RothchildRancor
Can someone pray for me that my Nightmares that I get every night that keep getting worse and worse for God's sake finally end!?

I'm starting to go insane!

You got it. I will indeed pray for your nightmares to go away. Have you had a traumatic experience lately that might be the cause? A new medication?

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
It's been scientifically proven that prayer actually results in a negative effect for those who are been prayed for.

Hospital patients who are told that they are been prayed for actually start to get worse as they don't fight as much as they believe god is helping them. Obviously god does not exist so the effect is derogatory to the patient.

I actually find this thread quite insulting, asking an atheist to pray is ridiculous. A prayer is aimed at a higher being who atheists know does not exist.

I am quite happy to offer my best wishes to people who are ill but I'll never ever pray as long as I live. It's a complete waste of time.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join