It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Large-scale Strike of iPhone 5 Production Lines at Foxconn’s Zhengzhou Factory

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
The workers at Foxconn are striking and you can expect the American consumers to feel it. And maybe that's just what we need to realize and accept that things in China are bad and we shouldn't support this anymore. I know, I love my iPhone too. Maybe we should demand companies like Apple do business elsewhere. America could use some job creation and I'm more than willing to pay more money for these things because to know we're all saving money (mostly the corporations) but in return are buying products created by people living and working in such conditions should be unacceptable.

This isn't the first news of happenings at Foxconn. Last month riots were happening at Foxconn and it appears the violence isn't stopping and it's very obvious why. The workers are not taking this abuse anymore!

How well is the iPhone doing in sales in the USA? Very well and already there were reports of not enough phones to meet demand.

Still Not Enough iPhone 5s to Go Around

allthingsd.com...

If iPhone 5 sales have not yet spiked to the heights investors had hoped, it’s not because of limited demand. It’s due to a continuing shortfall in supply. Two weeks after its retail debut, Apple’s latest iPhone continues to be difficult to come by, with devices ordered online showing shipping estimates of three weeks to four weeks, and a number of Apple’s retail stores reporting low inventory.

Large-scale Strike of iPhone 5 Production Lines at Foxconn’s Zhengzhou Factory

www.chinalaborwatch.org...

(New York) China Labor Watch (CLW) announced that at 1:00PM on October 5 (Beijing time), a strike occurred at Foxconn’s Zhengzhou factory that, according to workers, involved three to four thousand production workers. In addition to demanding that workers work during the holiday, Foxconn raised overly strict demands on product quality without providing worker training for the corresponding skills. This led to workers turning out products that did not meet standards and ultimately put a tremendous amount of pressure on workers. Additionally, quality control inspectors fell into to conflicts with workers and were beat up multiple times by workers. Factory management turned a deaf ear to complaints about these conflicts and took no corrective measures. The result of both of these circumstances was a widespread work stoppage on the factory floor among workers and inspectors.

On top of this, they were not permitted to have a vacation during the holiday. This combination of factors led to the strike.

edit on 5-10-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Good I hope they get a big fat pay raise they deserve it. For what these crap phone actually cost to make and what people mindlessly hand over their paychecks for this name brand is astounding . I am sure they won't mind spending two paychecks on the stupid phone.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

These people definitely could use more money but they need a lot more from their employers at Foxconn. The workers need to be keep doing this and they are literally being pushed to riot, fight, and protest. What is Foxconn thinking? What is China thinking? Either way, I'm happy to see people rising up all over the world.

And you're right, Americans love their brand and will pay anything for it!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:05 PM
link   
I agree there does need to be something better for the working man/woman/ child . There are to many people living off the working man like parasites everywhere places like Greece , Spain , Egypt ,Canada . United states etc. We do not have it as bad here with worker rights but it sure looks like we are heading towards less rights with fewer pickings in the work force. Only a few get rich off the work everyone puts in I think we a new way of global trade and monetary system but I don't trust the people involved that would come up with such a plan , seems everywhere in the world positions for power makes people into greedy hypocrites who lose all respect for another human being

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   
not really into Crapple products myself.

but I don't think these workers
have much of a chance.

so many people in China need work
they will find replacements.

Americans could always Boycott Crapple

ya know
not buy
not use it

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:14 PM
link   
reply to post by freedomSlave

Yeah, there is no doubt things are bad world wide, some places more so than others, but the people are finally standing up and voicing their concerns. I dunno what the answer is but it does look like there may be hope for the future.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:16 PM
link   
The government needs to put a high tax on imports. Yes this will raise the price of the product, but also create jobs in America. The increase in jobs will cause companies in all fields to increase wages to attract or keep their needed employees. That will cover part of the price increase. There's also the ethics side of the argument.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:17 PM
link   
reply to post by spoonbender

You're right, they could be replaced easily but sometimes protests like these spread like fire and I think the conditions are right for the people of China to stand up and be heard.

I'll never buy an iPhone again, not until conditions change for the better, but that's the only Apple product I use. So if I'm boycotting them I may as well boycott China as a whole, no? In that case, I'm a PC guy and I'm everything is made in China, motherboards, processors, RAM, hard drives,etc. Damn America needs to start making things again.
edit on 5-10-2012 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:21 PM
link   

I like the pic with the girl screwing around with her phone. I wonder if it's an LG or something....

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:58 PM
link   
people everywhere in every country need to stand up and be heard we are all in this together this planet is not made up of small local isolated tribes anymore we are all mostly connected threw media and internet. The elite try to function on a global level , we all need to we are all responsible for how people are treated in third world countries and our own countries.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:13 AM
link   

(New York) China Labor Watch (CLW) announced that at 1:00PM on October 5 (Beijing time), a strike occurred at Foxconn’s Zhengzhou factory that, according to workers, involved three to four thousand production workers. In addition to demanding that workers work during the holiday, Foxconn raised overly strict demands on product quality without providing worker training for the corresponding skills. This led to workers turning out products that did not meet standards and ultimately put a tremendous amount of pressure on workers. Additionally, quality control inspectors fell into to conflicts with workers and were beat up multiple times by workers. Factory management turned a deaf ear to complaints about these conflicts and took no corrective measures. The result of both of these circumstances was a widespread work stoppage on the factory floor among workers and inspectors.

On top of this, they were not permitted to have a vacation during the holiday. This combination of factors led to the strike.

Things like this is the reasons why i refuse to buy anymore crappy apple products (Save for the iPod that i had for 4 years before it died right when i needed it the most) And most people in America simply turn a blind eye to the conditions of the workers because they are too focused on their new gadgets

top topics

join