It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Clinics Rush To Warn Patients Of Tainted Steroid

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:31 PM
link   
A steroid drug used for back pain has been linked to an outbreak of fungal meningitis in 6 states, resulting in 35 deaths. Between July and September, hundreds if not thousands of patients received the shot and may be at risk. So if anyone has had a steroid shot for back pain and is feeling adverse effects don't hesitate to get yourself checked out.

The company involved with this outbreak is New England Compounding Center of Framingham, Mass. I'm trying to locate the other 30 medications this company distributes including other steroids. When I do I'll post them.

Source

Health providers are scrambling to notify patients in nearly two dozen states that steroid shots they got for back pain may have been contaminated with a fungus tied to a deadly meningitis outbreak.

It became apparent Thursday that hundreds, and perhaps thousands, of people who got the shots between July and September could be at risk. Officials disclosed that a steroid suspected in the fungal meningitis outbreak in the South had made its way to 75 clinics in 23 states.

(Alternative source)
edit on 5-10-2012 by Daedal because: Edit

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The FDA recall list related to this also includes all lots of lidocaine and saline.

Both used regularly in surgeries etc.

Pretty frightening....I just had surgery sept 6th....worried about alot of things, who would of thought of this?

Infected lots are from July to sept so far.
edit on 5-10-2012 by timetothink because: (no reason given)

www.fda.gov... Here's where you can find the list.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Thank you for posting OP ,I have afriend taking that medication. I called him to worn him.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:33 PM
link   
One small pharmacy in the NE seems to be the problem. I got many calls on it today. Thank the gods that I use only the evil Pfizer. There is something to be said for big pharma in the QA department.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:11 PM
link   
reply to post by NavyDoc

Hi Doc, glad to see you check in.

These cases were in more than one state though, right?

Does that still link them to this one pharmacy?

Color me confused...

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Scary. I have a Lumbar Sympathetic Nerve Block done every one to two weeks and am so happy that there are no steroids, just Marcaine, used in my blocks after hearing about this. I actually got called from the surgical center yesterday assuring everyone who has had any kind of injection or nerve block done not to worry because they don't even use that pharmacy or that steroid in any procedures. But they were calling everyone anyway since they got quite a few calls from patients freaking out lately.

I feel horrible for those who went in to get an injection done for pain, and ended up either dead or incredibly sick. That's not something that usually goes through my mind when I go in for a procedure.

new topics

top topics

join