It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sodom and Gomorrah

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I did and search and it didn't pull anything up so I thought I might post it.

What destroyed the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah? I would appreciate any answers you can give. Thanks.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
my answer would have to be GOD

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   
There's all these myths and legends of God coming down and raining fire and brimstone on people. The truth, it seems, is that the cities were sitting directly on top of some tectonic plates. I'll post some links to articles on it:

Virginia.edu

Archaeology.org

BBC History

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
heh heh that was God and he was pissed off about there being a wholoe bunch of haters up in there. So the story goes that a couple of angels go to visit a guy named Lot A mob showed up at Lots house wanting to get jiggy with the angels. Lot offers his daughters but they wont take em. The angels escape and tell Lot to get the hell out of Dodge. The angels then lay waste to the city they had warned Lot and his familia not to look back but his wife did and then she turns into a pillar of salt. The angels destroy the cities with fire sulfur brimstone etc. and then lot's daughters think the world had came to an end so then they get the dad drunk sleep with him and the story ends.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Well, no towns have been found that were named Sodom or Gomorrah.

There are some sites that SOME Biblical archaeolgists feel were "Sodom" and "Gomorrah" and these cities on the plain were destroyed by fire after/around/subsequent to an earthquake:
www.sbts.edu...

However, some of the theories are skirting the edge of the ridiculous:

www.christiananswers.net...
There is ample evidence of subterranean deposits of a petroleum-based substance called bitumen, similar to asphalt, in the region south of the Dead Sea. Such material normally contains a high percentage of sulfur. It has been postulated by geologist Frederick Clapp that pressure from an earthquake could have caused the bitumen deposits to be forced out of the earth through a fault line. As it gushed out of the earth it could have been ignited by a spark or surface fire. It would then fall to earth as a burning, fiery mass.

...which is pretty bad geological reasoning, actually. Earthquakes don't cause road tar to suddenly leap into the air and start burning, and this line of reasoning is pretty weak.

The website that referred me to the above essay then links to another website that proclaims that there's "considerable evidence" that Sodom and Gomorrah are located under the Dead Sea:
www.scripturessay.com...

So the answer is: nobody knows. There's the Biblical story, but no local stories and no other written/carved/archaeological evidence to determine if any of the above cities are the ones mentioned in the Bible or whether the Bible stories are simply retold and amplified versions of something else.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
There has been a city found right where Sodom would have been. Evidence indicates that the population died out suddenly--and there's evidence it was fire-bombed, if you will.

posted on Nov, 10 2004 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Here ya go....several pages for ya.....

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Mind you I am NOT a mod///just giving you the link to help you out in your search...

[edit on 11/10/2004 by LadyV]

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Hi all

I watched a documentary on this once. Forgive me if I can�t recall what it was called�anyway
This doco indicated that the region around the Dead Sea is prone to have gaseous unstable caverns under the ground.( these also occur under the ocean and elswhere) These caverns are prone to collapse and the doco showed that this phenomenon is still occurring today. They had rock climbers go down a couple to explore what lay beneath which just looked like a cave with the roof collapsed. They suggested that this might have happened if Sodom and Gomorrah really existed, and to explain this, legend was created that this was God furious anger.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by hatchedcross
I did and search and it didn't pull anything up so I thought I might post it.

What destroyed the cities of Sodom and Gomorrah?

I guess nobody knows... My guess would be a Nuke attack by elohim(god) ..

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Fire falling from the heavens reminds me of the opening scenes of "Armageddon." I believe the thought that the cities of Sodom and Gommorah lay at the bottom of the Dead Sea. The salt content in the dead sea is so high that you can float very easy in the water. They also say the water is good for well being. The one major drawback is that no living thing can survive the toxic waters. The sodium levlels are too high for sea life to exist. It is possible that the asteroid(s) penetrated the ground in the whole district and made a deep crater forming the Dead Sea region. A river possibly flowed through this area and then was blocked and the dead sea filled up over centuries. Another reason to conclude that the astroid was sodium based is the reference in the biblical account where it says that, "Lot's wife turned to look back at the city and was turned to a pillar of salt." She didn't transform into salt, she was covered in a form of molten sodium that became intensly hot when it entered the earth's atmosphere.

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 12:32 PM
link   
Some (even biblical archeologists) believe the cities found are actually mirror cities of the originals...

Here's an interesting link I found on it..

www.biblemysteries.com...

posted on Nov, 12 2004 @ 08:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by LadyV
Here ya go....several pages for ya.....

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Sorry Lady V you speak moche ...ABROUTY .. QOUI learn french

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 12:06 AM
link   
A doco I saw claimed that they were destroyed by an earthquake, which also happened to form teh Dead Sea.
Now this guy was doing some diving in teh Dead Sea close to the Syrian/Israeli partition. As he believed that there were some ancient ruins. Now this is where it gets interesting, he thought he found something which was encrusted in salt like the entire bottom. The Israeli's ordered him out sayin he had violted teh curfew there. After he left teh Israli army detonated a an explosive at the spot where he ahd been diving. This was the largest explosion ever in teh Dead Sea.
So the question is, did he find something and why would the Israeli's destroy it ?

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:20 AM
link   
it was the sexual immorality of sodom and gormoah that lead to its destruction but i believe theres more to it then that.

if you read Jude, it speaks of fallen angels and sodom in very close context.
there may have been nephlim in sodom as well as men??? maybe it was angels and men being immoral with each other aswell as men ??

before the flood the world became very wicked and one of the reason for this was the interference of fallen angels who basically taught wickedness to mankind.

posted on Nov, 16 2004 @ 03:25 AM
link   

heh heh that was God and he was pissed off about there being a wholoe bunch of haters up in there. So the story goes that a couple of angels go to visit a guy named Lot A mob showed up at Lots house wanting to get jiggy with the angels. Lot offers his daughters but they wont take em. The angels escape and tell Lot to get the hell out of Dodge. The angels then lay waste to the city they had warned Lot and his familia not to look back but his wife did and then she turns into a pillar of salt. The angels destroy the cities with fire sulfur brimstone etc. and then lot's daughters think the world had came to an end so then they get the dad drunk sleep with him and the story ends

I have to admit I'm laughing at the Biblical paraphrasing navajoprophet rendered. Actually, I think some beer came out my nose!

new topics

top topics

join