It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Black mamba venom is 'better painkiller' than morphine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:23 PM
link   
The wonders of nature continue to amaze me.. One of the most dangerous snakes in the world can actually do some good for mankind.

Link

A painkiller as powerful as morphine, but without most of the side-effects, has been found in the deadly venom of the black mamba, say French scientists. The predator, which uses neurotoxins to paralyse and kill small animals, is one of the fastest and most dangerous snakes in Africa. However, tests on mice, reported in the journal Nature, showed its venom also contained a potent painkiller. They admit to being completely baffled about why the mamba would produce it. The researchers looked at venom from 50 species before they found the black mamba's pain-killing proteins - called mambalgins.

Reminds me of this little guy, the small and humble cone snail..

Link

Snail venom in a pill could offer powerful relief for people who suffer from severe and chronic pain. It may seem an unlikely source of pharmaceutical inspiration, but the chemicals that some snails produce have potent effects on the human nervous system. This makes them promising sources of drugs that could dull the pain of cancer, diabetes, multiple sclerosis, HIV/AIDS, car accidents and other conditions. In the latest advance, researchers have designed a venom-inspired medication that can be taken orally -- a leap forward from previous forms that needed to be injected directly into the spinal cord.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Sounds very promising and as someone who requires medications this could be a big step forward not only in terms of relief but in alleviating the symptoms of addiction.
There's no magic bullet for pain but having alternative forms of relief could prove immensely useful to those who need help.
Thanks for sharing this!
edit on 5-10-2012 by Asktheanimals because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Asktheanimals

Thanks for the reply animals, ive always respected your input and opinions.
As someone that was formerly addicted to pain pills due to an injury, I hope this catches on.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Id read on this yesterday and I cant wait for it to be used. Ive had a few pretty boogery things happen and discovered at a bad time that I have an unusual reaction to morphine.. rather than feeling tired and less pain.. it makes me very violent and does little for pain. Unfortunately we found this was also the case for my middle child after she received her transplanted liver and was in the PICU raging. Of course she got other pain meds immediately, but this gives hope that for those in which it doesnt cover pain or have weird reactions, there may be an adequate pain medication in the near future!

Thanks for sharing!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I hope you haven't started the black mamba equivalent of "toad licking." But, yes, it does sound promising.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Those of us who are still struggling with chronic pain syndromes day to day arent that likely to see any magic medicine come shinning over the horizon without the costs of somehow paying for these new panaceas.....
Added to the fact we will ultimately be the guinnea pigs they try the experimental stuff out on as per usual.......
I hope it doesnt turn into some kind of highly addictive and easily synthesizable social problem down the pike......
that said, bring it on...ill volunteer......

new topics

top topics

join