Vacuuming machine.. what do you use it for?

page: 1

join

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Ok I got vacuuming machine today, im intrested what all you can vacuum with it and how do you storage your vacuumed food ?
I have watched couple of episodes of doomsday preppers and got intrested about this machine, im not a prepper tho but know many is and have propably great tips for me to start vacuuming

The reason i wanted this was basicly that other members on my family are has celiac disease and we all eat glutein free food. Badly if i bake etc ( im a horrible cook ) these breads and buns are ok when they are just done but next day they are allready totally awful.

So what all you put in vacuum, how you storage it after vacuuming, how long these "products" are good to use after vacuuming ( if not in fridge).

Im making a test i put fresh banana in vacuum..storing in room temperature, when it will be bad, Banana gives a lot ethylene so its a good testing subject i think ..

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:21 PM
link   
a banana is a bad idea because bananas never go bad! they are always edible!
use a potato instead.
vacumed packed food should be good for at least a year,and depending on what food you use,some will be good for 5 + years!
good luck!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:28 PM
link   
I generally use my vacum to clean the carpets

But on a serious note a Banana should last 3 weeks vacuum sealed as it delays the ripening process
www.tnau.ac.in...
Hope this helps

Cran

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by reficul

So i make two other testing subjects, boiled and raw potato. Thanks for the tip !

reply to post by cranspace

Thank you cran ! I though Bananas cannot have a long life that is more actually than i expected.

So tomorrow i will make lot of pancakes and "vacuum" those too.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:37 PM
link   
I've been doing this for a while now, and it's saved us tons of money. We buy meat in bulk, vacuum pack it, then freeze it. I also buy rice, beans and other dry goods such as flour, salt and sugar. Leave them in their original container, vacuum seal, then put back in a cool dry place. When it comes to food, there is little you can't seal and save. Just be careful about juices when it comes to meat. They can interfere with the heat strip that seals the bag. Hold the bag up to the light to make sure there's no bad spot. Nuts stay good for a long time when vacuum sealed and frozen. I even do it to seeds from my garden to save for next year. Just lay them out to dry for about a week first. I use it for small winter gear such as gloves and hats to reduce the size needed for storage. If you get the gallon size roll that you make your own bags from, you can store guns. As you see, I can go on and on.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:44 PM
link   
reply to post by DAVID64

Please go on

You seem to have a lot of information on this and glad you share ! Eggs are propably not good subject i believe they breaks.. is there anything else you would not put in vacuum?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 05:49 PM
link   
I use mine for everything. I have clothes that Iv vac sealed in my B.O.B. food of course, meds, I will take and make small strips about a inch wide and a foot long like a straw that I fill with antibiotic cream then seal them in 1 inch squares for a one time use tab. Tooth paste or any other cream can be done the same way. The trick is dont fill the "straw" all the way that way when I go to seal the cream will have room to compress and move with out making a mess. I have 2 vac sealers one just for food that stays in the kitchen and one for everything under the sun that stays in my shop.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ga-`tv-gi

Good tips ! Next time we go to doctors appointment im going to ask how to storage insulin if something happens. Insulin needs to be in cold but not freezed .. i guess this will be a tricky question.

Clothes, meds and soft toys. I guess this machine will be useful for me

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

The insulin would be tricky. I would leave it in the container it comes in and seal 5 or 6 that way they are a little more manageable. Other than that I would keep any and all life saving drug in the container it comes in that way it make miss identification harder and you and your loved ones safe.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 07:13 PM
link   
If you eat steak, or what ever, have you thought of marinating them with the vac sealer? works great, makes your steak very good. Put in the steak, marinade of choice, and vac seal it. The marinade goes straight into the steak, and then you can refrigerate or freeze it, and eat whenever.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:17 AM
link   
reply to post by dollukka

While it would be fun to watch, eggs are a definite no.
I vacuum soft foods, but have my finger on the button to cut off the suction at the right time. On my machine, hitting the "seal" button cuts off the vacuum and activates the heated seal strip. Don't try store bought or other soft bread.
French bread or other harder shell ones work good, but again, keep your finger on that button. Some things, you just have to experiment. Don't try glass containers, the vacuum actually allows the air outside the bag to press down with about 15 lbs per square inch. That can shatter or crack some cheaper glass containers. Even if it only cracks, you have a chance of glass slivers in your food. If we see little things on sale that we know we'll use, but don't need right now, we seal and save. Carrots, celery, hot dogs, sandwich meats, potatoes, ...seal'em. Experiment and you'll find things you wouldn't think would work.
Off topic but helpful, I store onions in pantyhose. Love Vidalia , but they are only available for a short time. Get a cheap pair, cut the legs off and drop an onion in, tie a knot right above the onion, drop in another, tie another knot, repeat till full, then use the other leg. Cut right below the knot to get an onion when you need it. I hang mine in a closet where it's cool and dry. If you have a basement just hang them from the rafters.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   
reply to post by ga-`tv-gi

I believe i cannot vac seal insulin as what we have has glass container and we take from those to plastic container which we put in insulin pump, to keep it sterilized i doubt i can store them, but i fill find out.

reply to post by hhcore

Everyone loves good steaks, hubby makes excellent marinades. Thanks will try this one too. Have you made complete stew meals and vac sealed them?

reply to post by DAVID64

I heard if you use mineral oil on eggs they will be ok for about 8 months. I tried vacuum seal glutein free bread today and i have to say it was an mistake, glutein free bread is very fragile its texture is like in cupcakes even i used psyllium its not very solid bread to vac seal.
Good tip with onion, we have old fashioned cellar and i have basicly just stored them in their bin and lower ones are.. you know lol

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:54 AM
link   
If you are planning on storing for a long time you need to use those things I forget what they are called but it takes out the moisture, like the things you get in the bag when you buy beef jerky.

As for storing eggs... If you rub them in mineral oil (wearing rubber gloves)they can last anywhere from 6 months to 10 months at room temperature.. You will know if they go bad because the yolk separates and mixes with the white stuff

Bananas if you wrap the tops of the bunch in tin foil will not have brown spots for an extra 2 weeks.

I found a lot of these things on pinterest.com

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 12:41 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Thank you for great links! These will be useful. We have such a small family 3 members so much of our food goes waste as we can´t consume in time, i hate that. Thanks !

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dollukka
reply to post by DAVID64

Please go on

You seem to have a lot of information on this and glad you share ! Eggs are propably not good subject i believe they breaks.. is there anything else you would not put in vacuum?

Eggs with a light coat of mineral oil will last 6-9 months at or a little below "room" temperature - eggs are nature’s perfect package. The oil just seals out all the air.

All you have to do is warm a quarter cup of mineral oil (just about 10 seconds in the microwave will do). Set your eggs outside of the carton (because it will be hard to get them out one you start using the mineral oil). Put on some food handling gloves (I buy this at one of the warehouses). They are easy to use for safe food handling but they are also a lot less expensive than medical gloves and yet in some circumstances they can be used instead of medical gloves. They are NOT puncture resistant though, so exercise caution if using them for that purpose). Dab a little bit of the warmed mineral oil on your hands and then pick up an egg. Run your oiled hands all over the eggs, making sure to cover it completely with the mineral oil. Don’t worry if you’re putting it on too thick or thin, just so long as every part of it is covered. When you’re finished with an egg, put it in the egg carton, small pointed side down. A quarter cup of mineral oil should easily do 4 to 6 dozen eggs.

Now, store your egg cartons in a cool, dry place. You want the temperature to be about 68 degrees for long-term storage—otherwise storing them like this in your regular room temperature is just fine for a few weeks. Remember, the eggs come out of a warm hen. I’m always asked if this will help the eggs keep longer in the refrigerator too. The answer is yes.

You’ll want to set a reminder on your calendar or cell phone to flip your eggs once a month at which time you’ll simply flip the carton upside down gently so as not to break any of the eggs. Do this every month to maintain the integrity of the egg yolk.

read more: preparednesspro.com...

posted on Oct, 8 2012 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by reficul
a banana is a bad idea because bananas never go bad! they are always edible!
use a potato instead.
vacumed packed food should be good for at least a year,and depending on what food you use,some will be good for 5 + years!
good luck!

So I wanted to check out your claim about bananas and they do go bad?
2nd

posted on Oct, 9 2012 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Sorry if I can't answer your question but thankyou for informing that such a device exists!

I am currently trying to learn about food storage myself, although I haven't gotten very far, at all. Good luck on your journey and hope everything works out.
edit on 9-10-2012 by OKThunder because: (no reason given)

top topics

join