It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Officer Who Hit Woman Will Be Fired

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Juggernog

The lady was totally wrong for shooting anything at the police, silly strings or bullets. I think the Officer was still mentally recovering from being hit with something and was just acting on impulse and instinct to protect himself and the other officers!!! Philly Cops are good guys! I live not far and anytime I'm in Philly, the Police are always kind and very helpful!!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by MrWendal

Actually the Commissioner is NOT doing the right thing.

The right thing to do here is charge this man with assault, just like you or I would be charged with assault had we done the exact same thing.

This guy will lose his job, and probably go over the bridge to work in New Jersey or go to work out in the suburban areas of Philadelphia. In the end- he will still be a cop. He will still have a job in law enforcement while he himself violates the law when he wants to.

The right thing? Absolutely NOT! CHARGE HIM for his crime! Then we can say the right thing was done.

To all those that claim the officer is not being charged...

The Philadelphia police officer who punched a woman in the face during the city’s Puerto Rican Day festivities will be fired from his job, and could also face criminal charges.

[Police Commisioner] Ramsey also stated that Josey, who is a veteran of the Highway Patrol division, may be charged for the incident. Ramsey stated:

“Obviously, he could be criminally charged. The DA would have to make that decision.”

Source

The officer's actions are clearly excessive. And the department is doing the right thing.

And, the source for this thread is not entirely accurate.

The video shows Josey right after she sprayed silly string near the officer.

She was not arrested because of the silly string.

She was arrested because the officer-in-question was splashed with water and believed the woman was responsible. Turns out, an unidentified man was responsible for throwing the water.

Josey was caught on video striking Aida Guzman during a traffic stop on Sunday.

And it was not during a traffic stop. It was during crowd control at a parade.

This guy will lose his job, and probably go over the bridge to work in New Jersey or go to work out in the suburban areas of Philadelphia. In the end- he will still be a cop. He will still have a job in law enforcement while he himself violates the law when he wants to.

Not quite.

If the officer is charged and convicted, the maximum penalty for assault in Pennsylvania is two years in jail.

If the officer is convicted, he will be Federally prohibited from possessing a firearm. A person is Federally prohibited from possessing a firearm if they are convicted of a crime that carries a possible penalty of a year and a day or more. Even if they are not neccessarily SENTENCED to that time, the mere conviction still prohibits them.

Federally prohibited from possessing a firearm=cannot be a police officer.

Even if he is not charged and is only fired, if he applies with another police department, that department will contact his former department and ask why he was terminated. I assure you no one will hire him after hearing that especially because of all of the media attention.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:02 PM
link   
Oh thank god! Well that means we should be getting a new Officer here in my State very soon! I just hope he's not a shooter as well as a hitter of Women! We got plenty of shooters here already...
edit on 6-10-2012 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

After, it's absolutely okay to throw water on a cop and he shouldn't retaliate in any way. he's a cop and has to be held to a higher standard of behavior. They can't do anything to defend themselves if somebody throws water on them.

It was understandable that he wanted to arrest her. What he should have done is walk up to her and grab her.

Walking up to her and punching her in the face was the wrong answer. It is excessive because he did not even attempt to grab her first. If she would have resisted, then he could have escalated his use of force from there.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:11 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilSadamClone

A person has every right to punch someone who throws water on them.

All you're saying is that they don't have a right to defend themselves.

Yea, if the person wants to be charged with assault right along with the person that threw the water.

This is not how police officers should be thinking. The officer had every right to arrest the woman because he genuinely believed she threw the water on him, even though she did not. The officer did not have the right to punch her in the face straight off.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by antonia

The law disagrees with you. If merely tossing water was assault Coyote ugly should be out of business. That water has to be accompanied with more to be assault (such as threatening language)

Not quite.

It would depend on what the intent was. If it was accidentally splashed on someone then it is not assault. If it was part of some sort of show or display, i.e. Coyote Ugly, it would not be assault.

If the intent was to throw water on someone maliciously, like in the video, it would be considered assault.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Sly1one

If we want to get really technical what he did was assault and not only was it assault it was assault on a female which is no different than a domestic assault case which is a felony charge which means you cannot have/own/posses or operate a firearm...in which case...he should never be a police officer again...for any city...

In domestic abuse, the sex of the victim or defendant has nothing to do with whether it is considered domestic assault or not.

Domestic assault is if the victim and defendant live together, or cohabitate, or share an intimate relationship. Homosexual lovers, both male or both female, can be guilty of domestic abuse.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Unity_99

He had 13 complaints, for using excessive force and verbal assault in his career years.

Ok, he was accused but how many times was he found guilty?

There is a difference.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 12:54 PM
link   
reply to post by areyouserious2010

Really? He has a serious record of violence. He just exhibited unnecessary violence on the wrong person. But even if it was a person squirting water on him, its not equal force. The guy is a psycho. Both past record of it, and on video an example of it. PERIOD.
edit on 6-10-2012 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by areyouserious2010

Your post is ... well... amusing.

Let me show you something...

The Philadelphia police officer who punched a woman in the face during the city’s Puerto Rican Day festivities will be fired from his job, and could also face criminal charges.

Notice the word "could"? It does not say, "will" or "would". It says, "could". Which means he may, as in it is possible.. or it may not, could not, or will not. What I am saying is, don't hold your breath. He "could" face charges or he could not faces charges. He is not charged with anything right now, and I am saying he wont be charged. You see, this is what happens when the masses are being appeased. People like you assume he will be charged because someone said he might be. 3 Months from now, you forget all about the story, there will still be no charges, and this cop is working in Jersey

[Police Commisioner] Ramsey also stated that Josey, who is a veteran of the Highway Patrol division, may be charged for the incident. Ramsey stated:“Obviously, he could be criminally charged. The DA would have to make that decision.”

Yes, a decision the DA has to make. Not that the DA DID make it, or that charges were expected. This is simply another way of saying, "It's not our call". It is called passing the buck. When in REALITY and in the land of real people like you or I, if a there is a video tape of us punching some women in the face, the cops could and would arrest us based on that evidence of a crime. But when it is one of their own, and it is on videotape, it is suddenly not up to them anymore to enforce our laws, it is up to District Attorney.

The officer's actions are clearly excessive. And the department is doing the right thing.

Yes they are preparing to sweep it all away. As I have shown above, the police could arrest and charge this man. They are passing the buck to the DA, who will then take 3-4 months to make a decision. Once the press has died down and the people have found something else to grab their attention, it will be quietly announced that no charges will be filed. It has happened before many times over and if people have not figured it out by now, they clearly have never paid attention to Police abuse cases before.

And, the source for this thread is not entirely accurate.

Do you think that is by chance? I don't. It is not accurate because the story is being rewritten. You think it is a coincidence that the article is accusing her of spraying silly string at the cop (when it wasn't) and she just happens to be holding a can of silly string?

Not quite.

If the officer is charged and convicted, the maximum penalty for assault in Pennsylvania is two years in jail.

If the officer is convicted, he will be Federally prohibited from possessing a firearm. A person is Federally prohibited from possessing a firearm if they are convicted of a crime that carries a possible penalty of a year and a day or more. Even if they are not neccessarily SENTENCED to that time, the mere conviction still prohibits them.

Federally prohibited from possessing a firearm=cannot be a police officer.

And now your post is full of assumptions. Fact is, and history is on my side with this, it has happened before. Now you say the maximum penalty is 2 year... the keyword here is "maximum". Which means there is a lesser term as well if convicted, we call that a "minimum" sentencing. You are also assuming that if a charge comes, it will be assault, but "assault" has varying degrees, such a "simple assault" which is a misdemeanor charge in the State of PA and carries a maximum penalty of 1 year, which would be just under the 1 year and 1 day that would prohibit him from carrying a firearm. ..and again that is the maximum which means any sentence could be less than a year as well. Guess what? he would still be able to carry a firearm. You are also assuming there will be a conviction, no plea deal, etc etc. Sorry but the real world does not work this way.

Even if he is not charged and is only fired, if he applies with another police department, that department will contact his former department and ask why he was terminated. I assure you no one will hire him after hearing that especially because of all of the media attention.

What rock do you live under? Do I really need to post story after story of cops who were fired and rehired elsewhere? Fact is, it happens all the time and there is no media attention. Just like cops who collect disability payments from one department, while working for another department down the road. You have one of those cops in the Kelly Thomas case out of California, yet no one seemed to notice until after he killed someone while on duty. Would you like to see examples of cops who were fired then later rehired? Check next post.

edit on 6-10-2012 by MrWendal because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 01:36 PM
link   
This one out of South Florida

Before he was ever hired in Opa-locka 19 years ago, Bosque, whose nickname is GB, was tossed out of the police academy twice and fired from two police departments. Each time he has faced trouble he has been reinstated with back pay. He boldly brags about his ability to work a law enforcement system that allows bad cops to keep their certification even in the face of criminal charges. Read more here: www.miamiherald.com...=cpy

Portland

A state board says the city of Portland must follow an arbitrator’s ruling and rehire a police officer who shot an unarmed man in 2010.

Miinesota

A Minneapolis police officer who had been fired over a domestic abuse allegation has been rehired with back pay, according to his attorney and the police department. Mukhtar Abdulkadir, one of the state's only Somali-American police officers, will forfeit 30 hours of pay as part of the deal. Abdulkadir was charged with felony domestic assault and terroristic threats in early 2011. He was accused of punching his wife and hitting her with the butt end of his service weapon at their Andover home.

Florida (again) along with Indiana and New Mexico

Boynton Beach Florida Police Officer, David L. Coffey, was arrested and charged with improper exhibition of a dangerous weapon or firearm and culpable negligence after he sneaked up behind a fellow officer and activated his taser just inches from her ear to get back at her for honking her horn at him in the parking garage. His victim, Officer Rachel Loy, is now being treated for hearing loss because of the incident.

Lindal Hairston of the Gary Indiana Police Department fought for several years to get his job back after being fired in 2003 for an off-duty altercation in which he threatened a teenager with a gun. The city settled the lawsuit Hairston filed against them a year ago, by not only rehiring him, but PROMOTING him to Sargent. This promotion was awarded to him despite the fact that he never had to take the tests or go through the other processes usually required for such a promotion.

Before being hire as a deputy for the Rio Arriba County Sheriff’s Office in New Mexico, Algin Mendez, was fired from the New Mexico State Police Department in 2010 for refusing to take a report from a victim of domestic

and yes, even in Philadelphia. Source

The Philadelphia Police Department rehired an officer who was fired last year. Officer Joseph Sulpizio was let go amid allegations that he had stolen money and drugs from multiple suspects. Police Commissioner Ramsey says the Daily News screwed up the investigation by publishing a story too soon. Officer Sulpizio has been rehired and assigned to the 22nd District in North Philly.

But of course I am sure it is all the fault of the press

Do I need to continue or have I made my point yet?

Fact is, even if charged that does not mean much when Police have Unions fighting for them, Arbitrators, and many procedures in place that will argue it was simply an isolated incident and everyone has a bad day eventually. It happens all the time, and if you think for one second that this guy will be charged, sentenced to the maximum penalty under law, and will suddenly find himself unable to get work as a Police Officer ever again, then you clearly have not paid attention to the world around you. I call it being naive and history is clearly on my side.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:07 PM
link   
Moral of the story do not mess with other PEOPLE. Do not throw water or shoot silly string on them like this woman did. What would you do if some idiot did this to you also? I do not feel bad for the woman. Hopefully the cop/person knocked some sense into her (pun intended).
edit on 6-10-2012 by parkwoods21 because: "shoot" added.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by areyouserious2010
reply to post by Unity_99

He had 13 complaints, for using excessive force and verbal assault in his career years.

Ok, he was accused but how many times was he found guilty?

There is a difference.
I don't have to be found guilty of anything to be fired from my job. Do you?

I am surprised that he is being let go, but glad.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by parkwoods21
Moral of the story do not mess with other PEOPLE. Do not throw water or silly string on them like this woman did. What would you do if some idiot did this to you also? I do not feel bad for the woman. Hopefully the cop/person knocked some sense into her (pun intended).

You do realize that it was not her that threw the water right? It was the guy standing behind her. Watch the video again and make an informed comment

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

You know it's weird, the story said she shot silly string at him. I'm surprised you were able to type this comment. I put an "or" in the statement. I guess the guy who threw water on the cop should have got punched in the face also.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:25 PM
link   

You do realize that it was not her that threw the water right? It was the guy standing behind her. Watch the video again and make an informed comment

Thank you!

I don't know what people were watching, but I think some of the water actually hit the woman too.

She obviously did not throw it. Even if she had, is this the way you handle something?

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Moral of the story do not mess with other PEOPLE. Do not throw water or silly string on them like this woman did. What would you do if some idiot did this to you also? I do not feel bad for the woman. Hopefully the cop/person knocked some sense into her (pun intended).
I'm not seeing the word 'or' in the post.

She should sue the hell out of the Philadelphia PD.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

15 words into what I posted. Stupid. Ok sure, go to a party and invite me over to shoot silly string on you and have another stranger pour water on you. See how cool you still stay.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:41 PM
link   

15 words into what I posted. Stupid. Ok sure, go to a party and invite me over to shoot silly string on you and have another stranger pour water on you. See how cool you still stay.

Sounds like you are the one used to getting pounded at parties, if this is how you make friends.

First, if you respond to getting water thrown on you by punching someone, you are guilty of battery. Try getting a cop to arrest someone for throwing water on you. Try getting a cop to arrest someone for getting silly string on you.

The woman had silly string on her person, she did not spray it on the cop. A man behind her threw water, which can be seen arcing up from behind the woman.

I have gotten both water and silly string sprayed on me at parties, and I didn't punch anyone for it.

Sounds like someone could use a little Prozac.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 02:47 PM
link   

What happened to the "or" part stupid? Also if you were to spit on a cop it is considered a felony. What difference is that from throwing water or shooting silly string on them? It's considered assault on an officer. Maybe you should get off your "Prozac" and stop seeing the world in black and white terms.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join