It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Incredible 3D Printer Can Produce Entire Rooms

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:20 PM
link   
link

This is very slick!
A 3D printer that can be put on a trailer... Or even better if it could be put in a shipping container and shipped via ship and then trucked to the job site.

But it will make plastic parts or buildings on site that can be used anywhere.
Very neat.

The world’s first 3D-printer pavilion, the KamerMaker, is now open in central Amsterdam.

Roughly translated “room-maker,” the KamerMaker showcases 3D printing’s ability to print rooms, houses, buildings, structures and, if so inspired, additional 3D-printing pavilions.

A mobile printing facility with intentions to travel to various global centers, the project is housed in an 18-foot shipping container designed by DUS architects. Standing on the container’s narrow end, the pavilion is positioned to print out taller shapes in relation to its footprint. Tipped lengthwise on its side, the printer is adjusted to produce longer, wider shapes.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I was huge into the SW novels and expanded universe, I remember one where they talked about the "Droids" that built buildings on Courcant, basically it was a city block sized robot that printed out the buildings as it went.

I remember thinking That makes perfect sense and I wondered how long it would be before we had technology like that.

Looks like its sooner than later.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by benrl

The biggest road block will be building departments.
However if these machines can get UL certified that won't be an issue.

And of course some labor unions will object since it will take away some jobs.
However overall I think it's a plus.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Let me know when it can print me a life size replica of the Slave I from Star Wars.

Kidding aside, it looks like a fantastic tool. However, I was a bit bummed out at the designs they were showing off. I'd have liked to see something other then a small dome for eating burgers. I would have liked to see them show off something like a small habitat or small emergency housing.

Think about it, with something this big you could easily develop large structures by printing them out section by section.

Star and flag for you.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

Yeah absolutely.
Personally I think that something like this will be best used as a mobile factory.
Sure you could turn out plastic housing.
But better use would be to make plastic parts that go into homes.

Sinks. toilets. counter tops etc.
All cheap. all made on site.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 04:46 PM
link   
reply to post by grey580

But I'm thinking of people without homes. Hence why I wanted to see some kind of demonstration (even if computer generated) of some "out of the box" thinking for some small but livable 3D printed spaces.

But either way, used to make homes or things inside them or to be used as mobile factories it seems very beneficial to a plethora of people both in the third, and first worlds.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

Really, really slick. I see lots of articles showcasing amazing technological advancements but I have yet to see any in real life. It seems that most are still having the finishing touches put on them or something.

Pretty soon the governemnt is going to print a bunch of see through plastic houses for us all to live in and take away our real homes. That way they can see everything we do!
edit on 10-10-2012 by OKThunder because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

Let me know when it can print me a life size replica of the Slave I from Star Wars.

Spaceships are cool but I want a slave Kunis. RAWR. I promise I'll feed it every day.

I'm sorta conflicted on 3D printing. I mean the awesomeness is, err, awesome but at the same time if we can just print anything the amount of lost jobs vs. population explosion is going to be bad (I'm doing good with words tonight).

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:17 AM
link   
HOUSES TOO! We have the technology to stop destroying the planet. And to ensure everyone has abundance.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:23 AM
link   

When Nuclearnuttery Discoverd 3D Printers, She Said They Should Be Used to Make Skyscrapers. Media Reports That They Are Being Used to Manufacture GUNS! Uhoh.

Posted on September 9, 2012

Well, sh*t! As engineers often say…

Some months ago, likely in February, I said that 3D printers would eventually reach a point where they could yield extruded glass buildings that get squirted from robotic arms that look like nano-plasma-loaded glue guns! LOL.

I said that if CERN and those other bozos figure out palladium alchemy, why, we could be practically making metal out of nothing and stringing cities together out of hyper-resilient palladium smart glass.

Unfortunately, Yahoo news shares tonight that 3D printers can be used to manufacture REAL guns. Lord have mercy. I guess you can’t really call me a mad scientist yet, because my mind isn’t always bent toward manufacturing things that hurt. I would like to make things that help humanity — can’t these kids be taught to do the same? Imagine the confusion if people start running around with resin guns without any serial numbers.

Tesla Generators on Volcanic Vents? Singing Cities, Crystal Palaces, and Free Electricity for Everyone
Posted on February 10, 2012

Someone once brought to my attention that there are many volcanic vents open on the ocean floor. What is keeping humans from placing portable generators of some type near these incredibly hot pockets of escaping energy? WHY DRILL when a hole is already there, eh? Even Einstein should have to answer that question. Why did we reach into Hell for power when Mother Earth has everything we needed?

If you were to place a heat-to-electricity generator or a paddle wheel turbine near or above a volcanic vent on the ocean floor, couldn’t you then convert this energy to Extremely Low Frequency and send it out through an antenna? Then at the water’s edge, preferably underneath the surface, you could place your receiver, a metal ball or tower that converts the signal back into heat or whatever you want? A signal on a power line?

Each city block or section could have its own generators and grids.
Without heavy and expensive cables running from the city to the ocean floor, this might work much easier. The trick is finding a freq that doesn’t hurt animals, humans, or cause earthquakes. Putting the receiver underwater might deaden feedback, but I am not sure about this. Just seems smarter than having a trillion cell phone towers bleeding into our ears all day. Wouldn’t it be better to insulate our antennas with something capable of blocking radiation?

You could even put heavy water walls around the things but putting that in the ocean is a big NONO, correct? I guess that is why Fukushima is a bad thing.

Another idea I would like to talk about, since I don’t like writing patents and the law says when I publish this, it’s my copyright, is a better way to build skyscrapers.
We need a material that doesn’t block out all the light. Stones are nice, but they really should be on the ground floor. That is where stones belong. Where glass comes into the picture is where the 2nd floor and up are concerned.

I propose a method of robotic skyscraper building wherein palladium or another strong glass is extruded or produced on-site using nano plasma or another heating technology, and much like a small scale metal cutting machine or a Toyota factory robot, the articulated parts would move much like the grabber in a “Crane Game” from the Arcade. The “glue gun” or “glass gun” would move back and forth along the arms of the frame, and those arms can move up and down while the gun moves side to side. It should have access to every surface.

Ideas and Discoveries magazine published an article about sea sponge glass being a wonderful inspiration for modern building methods. This method of a hex-cell based wall or similar structure would permit greater permeability and the use of far less material. Instead of tons and tons of rocks and steel, you would be building with spider-web-thin strands of high test glass that flexes instead of breaking under most types of stress.

Sensors on the buildings could help control things like ventilation and give warnings in case of emergency. There could be places to plug in devices like phones or display screens. In fact my ideal city would have public terminals with privacy protection — cell phones wouldn’t be needed. There would always be a public phone within 100 yards. And a public computer. Why should we all walk like zombies on our phones and whatnot when we can embed these devices in modular buildings?

And can you imagine how beautiful a city of galvanized metal glass would be in the sunlight? So much more beautiful than any Nazi Space Needle or pile of rocks in front of Rainier. The light would pass through and be even greater after striking so many pieces of glass. When the light on the water reflects onto the glass in my mind, I see a scene play out to rival

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 12:36 AM
link   
reply to post by grey580

That is pretty neat! excellent way to recycle plastic..It would be neat to see it in person.

posted on Oct, 10 2012 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by Auricom

If I had the money I would take a few of these out to Haiti and build some housing.
Using Miami-Dade Counties building code.

I think it would work out incredibly well. Just need the funding to do it.

new topics

top topics

join