It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963

Go ahead and make fun of my avatar or call me names..................................waiting.......

Not at all...I think it was brave of you to include an actual picture of yourself in your avatar.

It explains alot about your unfailing support for the BatS*&^ crazy clowns running the GOP.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   
reply to post by buster2010

Obama is right no one is entitled to success just because you come from a certian family doesn't mean success should be handed to you. If you want it work for it. People that are truly successful are the ones who start from the bottom and work their way up.

I think this is one of the few times I have agreed with you Buster!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by neo96

Really?

Never heard of the death tax?

You know that tax where the government taxes whatever the hell it wants

Show me one person that has went broke over the death tax.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Not at all...I think it was brave of you to include an actual picture of yourself in your avatar.

It explains alot about your unfailing support for the BatS*&^ crazy clowns running the GOP.

ROFLMFAO!!!!!!! Read some of my past posts and you will see that I am far from supporting the Republicans!

You didn't disappoint me my friend! As usual, I can always count on progressives resorting to name calling when they are losing...............................

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:56 PM
link   

A family-owned business stands to lose 55% of all its assets when it passes from one generation to the next. This is due to the federal "death tax" that is applied to the portion of estates that exceed $650,000 (This amount is increased to $675,000 in 2000 and will continue to rise until it reaches $1 million in 2006.) The estate tax ranges from 18 percent to 55 percent. Because of this outrageous tax, 70% of families choose or are forced to cash out or abandon their business after only one generation of ownershi

www.ivdgl.org...

Of course those who inherit money or "win money" get even richer right?

Just because someone gets handed 10 or 20 million they stay rich right?

www.businessinsider.com...

Never mind evil evil rich!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   

Really?

Never heard of the death tax?

You know that tax where the government taxes whatever the hell it wants

What sense does this argument make?

Buster's point was that most of the 1% did not earn their way there. They inherited it. Which is true.

Are you trying to say that by paying the death tax they 'earned' their inheritance?

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with people getting rich and giving it to their kids/family. But to advance the notion that the 1% 'earned' their place through 'hard work' is the largest steaming pile of dung I've ever read. They earned it to be sure, but not through hard work, rather through cheating, stealing, and killing.

For the record: Obama's sentence in question is a right wing staple belief - no one is entitled to success, no one is entitled to anything except life (unless your sick and can't afford treatment, shoulda worked harder before you got sick!), liberty (except when they all voted for the Patriot Act) and the pursuit of happiness (too subjective to measure). So why you picked this out of all the many more liberal things he has said in the past couple days is beyond me?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I would appreciate anyone explaining to me how the economy grows from the "middle out".

Please?

Any of you fans of Obama care to explain this?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by UdonNiedtuno

Yeah well Donald Trump says otherwise inherited,went bankrupt a few times.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Think anyone who becomes rich got their by sitting on their couch putting in 40 hour work weeks, getting holiday pay,triple time, getting 4 weeks of vacation ?

In short....HELL YES...

Romney was born into a fortune that paid for the best schools money could buy. When he got done dodging the draft on an all expense paid vacation in France via his dads massive contribution to the Morman church, his dad set him up in business and introduced him to a crapload of wealthy investors.

AND Romney aint the only one...1 in 3 BILLIONAIRES...30% inherited thier money...

Richest Families On The Forbes 400...Just a few Billionaires that were born into fortunes

Walton 6 relatives. Combined net worth: $93 billion. Source: Wal-Mart, founded by Sam Walton in 1962, with revenues of $405 billion in 2010.

Koch 3 brothers. Combined net worth: $54 billion. Brothers David and Charles own large stakes in $100 billion (revenues) Koch Industries, which operates pipelines, produces fertilizer, chemicals, polymers and owns forestry company Georgia Pacific.

Mars 3 siblings. Combined net worth: $41.4 billion. Siblings share ownership of Mars, the world’s largest confectioner, maker of M&Ms, Milky Way and 3 Musketeers and a long list of others. Revenue: nearly $32 billion.

Cox 3 relatives Combined net worth: $24 billion. Family members share ownership of Cox Enterprises, whose assets include cable company Cox Communications and newspaper, TV and radio group Cox Media. Jim Kennedy, grandson of the founder, is the chairman of Cox Enterprises.

Pritzker 11 relatives. Combined net worth: $19.6 billion. The family inherited pieces of a diversified fortune that includes Hyatt Hotels and host of industrial assets that were built up A.N. Pritzker and his sons Jay (d. 1999) and Robert.

www.forbes.com...

I am of the ilk that no one is "Entitled" to be successful in America...Only to have the opportunity...and if that makes me liberal than that is fine with me
edit on 5-10-2012 by Indigo5 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
I would appreciate anyone explaining to me how the economy grows from the "middle out".

Please?

Not a fan of Obama. Not voting for either of the smoke screens in fact!

But this is common sense. The past thirty years have shown it certainly doesn't 'trickle down'! Look at the distribution of wealth, it has actually trickled up, well, more like a fire hose to the top than a trickle. Whereas, if all of that increase in wealth had gone to the middle, there would be exponentially more of it circulating throughout the whole economy (cars, tvs, phones, vacations, etc. etc. etc.) rather than sitting safely, tax sheltered, in Mittens offshore accounts where it does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR ANYONE!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Yes and was bailed out of bankruptcy each time...Legally stealing investors money. Trumps fortune is largely real estate that he recovered after filing bankruptcy to avoid repaying investors in that same real estate.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:09 PM
link   

You need to change your screen name to straw man.

link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Romney gave away is inheritance remember?

Also remember that Romneys father did not come from money ?

Right?

Nice strawman.

link   

reply to post by benrl

So would allowing Corporations unfair advantages, or say a disproportionate tax rate across the classes, that too would fall under that as well.

Funny thing about that word "corporations" is some people do not really understand the magnitude of what that means:

From the dude selling a hotdog on a corner street all the way up to the multi-nationals can't form any business without forming a corporation.
edit on 5-10-2012 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

As a former small business owner (sold it) I understand what the word means and what it entails, I stand by my original post on the matter.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by UdonNiedtuno

Please?

Not a fan of Obama. Not voting for either of the smoke screens in fact!

But this is common sense. The past thirty years have shown it certainly doesn't 'trickle down'! Look at the distribution of wealth, it has actually trickled up, well, more like a fire hose to the top than a trickle. Whereas, if all of that increase in wealth had gone to the middle, there would be exponentially more of it circulating throughout the whole economy (cars, tvs, phones, vacations, etc. etc. etc.) rather than sitting safely, tax sheltered, in Mittens offshore accounts where it does ABSOLUTELY NOTHING FOR ANYONE!

So the "middle out" is making the wealthy cough up their money and just give it to the middle class?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:10 PM
link   

How is that a strawman?

Trump inherited his money lost it

Proven facts.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Indigo5

Yes and was bailed out of bankruptcy each time...Legally stealing investors money. Trumps fortune is largely real estate that he recovered after filing bankruptcy to avoid repaying investors in that same real estate.

By God, I am marking this day on my calendar!!!! Indigo5, I AGREE!!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:18 PM
link   

So the "middle out" is making the wealthy cough up their money and just give it to the middle class?

If the wealthy are "job creators" and they invest their money in creating jobs, knowing that they will get a positive return on their investment, then I wouldn't call that "coughing up their money".

The wealthy are sitting on more money than ever before...corporations are sitting on more money than ever before....Job creators, yeah right....more like hoarders. You see, there would be no desire to tax the money out of them if they would simply circulate some of that fortune that they are hoarding.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by LeatherNLace

If the wealthy are "job creators" and they invest their money in creating jobs, knowing that they will get a positive return on their investment, then I wouldn't call that "coughing up their money".

The wealthy are sitting on more money than ever before...corporations are sitting on more money than ever before....Job creators, yeah right....more like hoarders. You see, there would be no desire to tax the money out of them if they would simply circulate some of that fortune that they are hoarding.

Damn them.
Damn them to hell for them wanting to keep their money.

No-one has explained the "midde-out" to me though.

Other than the leftists forcing wealthy people to give their money to others.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Obama: 'We Don't Believe Anybody Is Entitled to Success in This Country'

Typical Obama statement.

Americans are promised life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness.
If Americans want to go on a PERSUIT of success ... they were able to do so.
But they are not 'entitled' to it.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join