It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man Jailed by car dealer over price error.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem
reply to post by phroziac

You have to remember; every time this guy applies for a job, he's gonna have to check off "yes" in the box asking if he's ever been arrested. A lot of employers won't bother to look any further than that on a job application, especially when the arrest was for Grand theft auto.

This guy has a permanent criminal record, regardless of whether the DA threw out the charges and the dealer apologised and offered to let him keep the car at the original price.

What was done to him was needlessly excessive, embarassing and probably resulted in him having to hire a lawyer to fight the charges (which ain't cheap). 2.2 mil sounds like a reasonable asking price IMO, especially when you consider that his lawyer is probably gonna get most of it on a contingency basis.

Too add to this, depending on the job he has he might loose his job with this new arrest record. Some employers can not employ anyone with a record for various reasons including insurance reasons. I hate to see if he was a security guard, truck driver, car hauler, tow truck driver, had a job dealing with working on or driving cars, or worked in a high secure area. I'm sure there are plenty of other types of jobs they would atuomatically turn him down. Driving jobs very well could cite their insurer won't cover him. He would even have a hard time getting a job in a warehouse, cashier, and any minimum wage job where he is not watched closly. If he works for a big company, guess who is going to get called into the office if anything goes missing?

I wonder how his family and neighbors are taking it? I suspect they know about it, if it hit the news.

posted on Dec, 26 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
This doesn't even make sense to me as it should be a nonissue. My background is automotive sales, 24 yrs as a finance manager,8 for a Chrysler dealership and 16 w/a GM store in the metro Detroit area. There are times, thru rookie mistakes or in a rush to put a deal together, the sales department makes a huge error. It happens. But if there's a signed contract and the car is delivered, meaning left the lot, it's done. If the customer doesnt feel inclined to come in and resign an adjusted contract, you eat it. Period. Nothing else to discuss.

The idiot here is the manager who called the police. In truth, his job was probably threatened for missing the error and responsibility for the deficit falls on him. Thats part of a managers job, to check facts and figures and approve it all as a dealer representative, on behalf of the dealer. This sounds to me like a two bit manager who was trying to protect his own butt, and in truth, now just opened the dealership up to a huge lawsuit, which they'll lose, not to mention tarnishing their name any further.

I'm sure, once the monies are collected from the managers paycheck, he'll no longer be employed.

<< 1  2  3   >>

join