It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who is God talking about?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 12:22 PM
link   
In the First Commandment God says "Thou shalt have no other Gods Before Me"

Who was he talking about? He doesnt say dont have no IDOLS before me he says GODS.

Is God himself admiting there are other Gods?

If you add that to the "Lets make man in OUR image" passage it seems to me that he is stating that there are more than just him.

I know most will say in the first he is talking about Idols and in the second he is talking about the Angels but when you add them togather it seems to point to other Gods not Idols or Angels

Any thoughts?

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Interesting, actually, Amuk, I have seen this topic elsewhere in ATS. I believe it was an older thread, over a year old I believe, but it is an interesting idea.

Perhaps so, and perhaps that is where other religions besides Judeo-Christian came in?

-wD

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 12:39 PM
link   
[edit on 17-10-2004 by John Nada]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 12:53 PM
link   
" our image " = Father , Son , Holy Spirit !!!!!
thats why its "our" and not "my"

as for the ten commandments God is saying dont MAKE any other thing a God over you other than himself, the TRUE GOD.

this is a cool link I found: www.oaim.org...

and this is a cool pslam on the subject:

PSALM
82:1
God standeth in the congregation of the mighty; he judgeth among the gods.
82:2
How long will ye judge unjustly, and accept the persons of the wicked? Selah.
82:3
Defend the poor and fatherless: do justice to the afflicted and needy.
82:4
Deliver the poor and needy: rid them out of the hand of the wicked.
82:5
They know not, neither will they understand; they walk on in darkness: all the foundations of the earth are out of course.
82:6
I have said, Ye are gods; and all of you are children of the most High.
82:7
But ye shall die like men, and fall like one of the princes.
82:8
Arise, O God, judge the earth: for thou shalt inherit all nations.

[edit on 17-10-2004 by TruthStrgnrThanFiction]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:02 PM
link   
Maybe He's refering to the other Gnostic dieties or Aeons.

www.gnosis.org...

The Gnostic God concept is more subtle than that of most religions. In its way, it unites and reconciles the recognitions of Monotheism and Polytheism, as well as of Theism, Deism and Pantheism.

In the Gnostic view, there is a true, ultimate and transcendent God, who is beyond all created universes and who never created anything in the sense in which the word �create� is ordinarily understood. While this True God did not fashion or create anything, He (or, It) �emanated� or brought forth from within Himself the substance of all there is in all the worlds, visible and invisible. In a certain sense, it may therefore be true to say that all is God, for all consists of the substance of God. By the same token, it must also be recognized that many portions of the original divine essence have been projected so far from their source that they underwent unwholesome changes in the process. To worship the cosmos, or nature, or embodied creatures is thus tantamount to worshipping alienated and corrupt portions of the emanated divine essence.

The basic Gnostic myth has many variations, but all of these refer to Aeons, intermediate deific beings who exist between the ultimate, True God and ourselves. They, together with the True God, comprise the realm of Fullness (Pleroma) wherein the potency of divinity operates fully. The Fullness stands in contrast to our existential state, which in comparison may be called emptiness.

One of the aeonial beings who bears the name Sophia (�Wisdom�) is of great importance to the Gnostic world view. In the course of her journeyings, Sophia came to emanate from her own being a flawed consciousness, a being who became the creator of the material and psychic cosmos, all of which he created in the image of his own flaw. This being, unaware of his origins, imagined himself to be the ultimate and absolute God. Since he took the already existing divine essence and fashioned it into various forms, he is also called the Demiurgos or �half-maker� There is an authentic half, a true deific component within creation, but it is not recognized by the half-maker and by his cosmic minions, the Archons or �rulers�.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by TruthStrgnrThanFiction

as for the ten commandments God is saying dont MAKE any other thing a God over you other than himself, the TRUE GOD.

Then why doesnt it say that? It doesnt say "I am the only God"

And I cant remember the exact ones at the moment I will try to look them up but there are several other places he seems to imply that the other "Gods" are real

[edit on 17-10-2004 by Amuk]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Our Image - Father - Mother - child/ children

YHWH = Y - EL the Father, H= Asherah the Mother, W- He the son,
H- Anath the Daughter.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 01:24 PM
link   
I can't remember the last time "God" talked to me. The only way "God" can talk is if he/she/it was on the same level of existence as I. Considering that the Bible is a record from ancient times when humans were less developed technologically than we are today, we see that if humans did see "Gods", they were beings who came to Earth from the sky in very "God-like" vehicles and space suits.

I think that the Bible is referring to just one of these many beings who came down to Earth as "Gods" to the ancient people. So, this "God" that was adopted by the majority of the people was none other than an Alien of some sort, who forbade that any other Alien be adopted as the God of the people.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by stalkingwolf
Our Image - Father - Mother - child/ children

YHWH = Y - EL the Father, H= Asherah the Mother, W- He the son,
H- Anath the Daughter.

I have always believed God was refering to His co-creator/wife/consort. A Goddess equal to Him in power and wisdom and love. I have researched this concept and found lots of info although I had not seen this before. I obviously missed something and would love to see where this came from. Links? Other literature? Etc? Thanks!

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Hi Amuk:

Actually it does not say "God said You shall not have any gods before me" the text says:

"I am YHWH [the clan-god] who led you out of Egypt: You will have NO OTHER GODS (elohim) BEFORE MY FACES..."

For some reason, when the KJV came to YHWH in the Hebrew Text they wrote in the words "THE LORD"------ so bear that fact in mind when you see that in English translations of the Hebrew. The KJV also doesn't like to use other clan gods names which later became idenfied with YHWH later on (El Elyon or El Shaddai), so they use terms like ("God Most High" or "God Almighty", even though in Hebrew these are specifically the names of DIFFERENT Canaanite local clan gods...)

Meaning, the priests of YHWH (who made up this law and slapped it into the mouth of YHWH via Moses) were begginning to become territorial about their god. and wanted their own particular candidate god to be placed in front of the line up in the temple, above all others: which temple (or temples) by the way, held more than one god until the time of Ezra after the Babylonian captivity (i.e. after 480 BC when they came up with : Hear O Israel, YHWH is your clan-god YHWH alone !) :

This concept of worshipping one god in front of other lesser gods is known as MONOLATRY (not monotheism), where one particular god is placed in front of the others in the line up.

This law seems to have been a reaction to Jereboam who built molten Bull gods in the huge canannite cult centers of Bethel and in Dan: see 1 Kings 12:28

Whereupon the king Jereboam (of the Northern Breakaway kingdoms) took counsel, and caused to have made two Bulls of Gold; and he said unto the people:

'Ye have gone up to Jerusalem for long enough : behold thy gods, O Israel, which brought thee up out of the land of Egypt.'

Get a copy of WHO WROTE THE BIBLE? by Richard Eliot Friedman: he breaks this down for the layman quite nicely, and explains some of the history behind the rival cults in the northern part of Israel who had broken off from Judah when Solomon died, and Reheboam took over the south around 920 BC.

YHWH's relationship with other gods was a problem for Yahwistic priests who had to deal with rival cults such as Baal or Molech or those pesky Dagonites in Gaza.

Read Deuteronomy 32:7 which contains some ancient matierial about how they later divided up the world into seventy nations, each with their own clan god (nice and neat): according to this older section of the torah EL ELYON (the main Jebusite clan god who was worshipped on the Temple Mount before it became, well...temple mount on Mt Moriah) is the top creator-god who creates everything and YHWH is his son, and who gets to take care of "Yakkov" as his chosen.

This ancient snatchet of an old poem must have been written LONG before the Exile and was expressed in an ancient dialect of paleo Hebrew---and its theology shows---it is a piece of Cannanite hymnology to El Elyon, who later became identified with YHWH in Exodus chapter 3 :

Notice how YHWH, the clan god of Israel, is being described not as the CREATOR GOD himself but as ONE of the 70 "SONS of EL ELYON" since YHWH (like the 69 other gods) gets his own portion (by lot) of land to take care of, viz. Israel.

QUOTE:

"Remember the days of Old,
consider the years of countless generations back:
Ask thy Father, and he will shew thee;
Inquire of thy Elders, and they will tell thee :
how when EL Most High (lit. El Elyon) divided to the Gentile Nations
and handed out [by lots] their inheritance to each,
when he separated out the sons of Adam [upon the earth],
he set forth the national boundaries of the people
according to the number of the "sons of EL"
(or SONS OF GOD, which later became "ANGELS")
and how YHWH's portion fell unto his own people;
yea, Yakkov [is] the lot of his inheritance..."

In other words, EL ELYON was the chief Creator deity of the Canaanites, and his ancient cult LATER got intermixed with the cult of YHWH after Assyria destroyed the northern Kingdom in 701 BC ---and the whole thing was slapped into the mouth of Moses in Deut chapter 32. now part of the torah---but there was just ONE TEENZY PROBLEM: the priests of YHWH did not like to have their god UNDER El Elyon as his son: they wanted him to be identified with him, so they changed (read: forged) the text in some ancient versions to read:

"ask your elders....and they will tell you...
how El set forth the boundaries of the
Nations (gentiles) according to the NUMBER OF THE SONS OF ISRAEL"

Notice SONS OF EL becomes magically "SONS OF ISRAEL"

since there was a post exilic pro-YHWH national reaction against the earlier belief that that each nation (of the gentiles) had its own protector clan god, with "YHWH and Israel just one of the bunch" ---they wanted to make both YHWH and Israel "universally special" so they engaged in a little scribal hanky panky

(or as Jeremiah used to say, "Alas, the lying pens of the scribes!").

But you can see that in pre-Exilic times, YHWH was just one of a number of deities worshipped locally in various towns and hills, i.e. if there were any of his priests and shrines dedicated to him handy:

Now take a close look at : Judges 11:23 and 11:24

where anyone can read for himself that YHWH (Yahweh) the Israelite clan god was said to have bestowed by lots some open farm land to the people of Israel.

"So now Yahweh, the clan-god of Israel, has dispossessed the Amorites from before his own people Israel, and do you dare you possess them?

Won't you take possession of the land which Chemosh your clan-god has given unto you possess?

So whoever Yahweh our clan-god has dispossessed from before our faces, them also shall we possess.."

But the same verse also says that another clan-god Chemosh gave some other farmland next to it land to the Ammonites (sons of Ammon).

In earlier pre-Exilic times, the writings reflected the belief that whereas YHWH (the god of the Israelites) would only protect his people and Chemosh would protect the Ammonites.

Universal notions came into play only after the EXILE when the priests of YHWH were thrust by force to confront the grand and glorious and ancient Babylonian temples to MARDUK etc. on the Euphrates.

see 2 Kings chapter 3

The Wind (Ruach also means "spirit") of YHWH comes upon prophet Elisha and declared that YHWH will deliver the Moab people into the hands of Israel (verse 18).

But then, while this prophecy was about to be fulfilled, the king of Moab sacrificed his first-born son as a burnt offering to Chemosh. Then the wrath of YHWH upon Israel was so great that they gave up the siege and returned to their own land

So in pre-Exilic times, once can see that in the writer's mind, politics was a war between rival clan-gods and rival priestly cults: how else could a pagan child-sacrifice cause YHWH's word to fail?

All of this theology changed AFTER the Babylonian exile when the cult of YHWH (the 4 remaining hardliner Yahwistic priestly families that DID return) srewrote the Torah to make Moses someone who did NOT tolerate "other gods" before "the faces of YHWH."

Eventually, all these gods either became assimilated into the post Exilic YHWH cult (El Elyon, El Shaddai etc. = see Exodus 3 in the burning bush myth: where YHWH tells Moses, "yes, yes, I revealed myself under other gods names, El Elyon and El Shaddai etc. but I did not reveal my real name YHWH to them...")

Or these local rival Canaanite clan gods became relegated to post Exilic "Persian" concepts of Demons (like Lillith, or Asherah, or Baal-Berit, or Chemosh, or Dagon or Nebo etc.) during the so-called Persian Occupation Period (BC 531 to BC 331) when most of the Old Testament was written down and heavilly re-edited under the watchful gaze of Ezra and his five scribal represenative schools.

Does everyone understand now the difference between MONOLATRY and MONOTHEISM?

[edit on 17-10-2004 by Amadeus]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 03:08 PM
link   
The Urantia Book does an excellent job of explaining the nature of God. It's not an easy read and is rather time consuming but it can be quite enlightening to those with an open heart.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 03:16 PM
link   
You got my way above vote Amadeus. I was thinking the same thing as Amuk as I'm currently reading the KJV and Amadeus explained it perfectly I think.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amuk
In the First Commandment God says "Thou shalt have no other Gods Before Me"

Who was he talking about? He doesnt say dont have no IDOLS before me he says GODS.

Is God himself admiting there are other Gods?

Any thoughts?

I have a thought or two...

To quote Miriam Zimmer Bradley -- maybe "All the Gods are one God, and all the Goddesses are one Goddess, and there is only one Initiator. And to every man his own truth, and the God within.

Y'know, I love the sounds of that... and then again I hear GW Bush invoking the name of God and condoning the butchery of thousands of Iraqi innocents, and I don't know WTF's up?

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Amadeus

Thanks for the info you just got an appluad from me

Very few dig a little deeper than what there sunday school teacher told them and think the Bible was handed as is, in english, to us and dont understand that it has been handed down, rewrote, books put in and taken out, etc for several hundred years.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Hi Amuk & Jahmun:

Glad to be of assistance...Im glad that I was able to "focus the lens" a little for you both on the subject of "how the Bible came to be written in the form it is today"---and how it should be more CORRECTLY read and interpreted.

It is TRULY a shame that most people (especially some on ATS) don't bother to find out "the roots of their faith"----I'm talking about serious digging here-----perhaps if they did, there would be a lot more tolerance of difference in this world...and a whole lot less superstition...\

And "Christian" fundamentalists are the worst culprits when it comes to this narrow-mindedness....they all claim to believe so much that they cannot even read, let alone understand !

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Then why doesnt it say that? It doesnt say "I am the only God"

[edit on 17-10-2004 by Amuk]

God does tells us this in Isaiah44:6 Thus saith the LORD the King of Israel, and his redeemer the LORD of hosts; I am the first, and the last; and beside me there is no God.

Spiritual forces opposed to God have deceived some intoi thinkiong there are other gods. Also football can be a "God" to some. God is to have first place in our life. Some people won't go to church on Sunday morning in December even when the building is heated. Yet those same people will go out and sit in a negative wind chill in a snowfall to watch a packer play against a colt. They have made football # 1 in their life and yet football cannot remove your sins from you.

[edit on 17-10-2004 by dbrandt]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Here we go, here is a few and there are DOZENS more on the link at the bottom. It seems to me that it is pertty clear that those who wrote the bible, or at least parts of it, DID believe in other Gods

Ex.12:12
"And against all the gods of Egypt I will execute judgment.

Ex.15:11
"Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods?"
Ex.18:11
"Now I know that the LORD is greater than all gods."

www.skepticsannotatedbible.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Amadeus
Actually it does not say "God said You shall not have any gods before me" the text says:

"I am YHWH [the clan-god] who led you out of Egypt: You will have NO OTHER GODS (elohim) BEFORE MY FACES..."

I just thought I would point out that "before my faces" could also be translated as "in my presence".

For some reason, when the KJV came to YHWH in the Hebrew Text they wrote in the words "THE LORD"------

If taken literally, YHWH means "the one that is" or "the existing one". Of course, this is simply a translation, so is up for some debate as most translations are subjective.

As for why the KJV translates it as "The Lord": it derives from Jewish practice of pronouncing YHWH as adonai (our lord) so as to not speak the name of God while reading out loud.

[edit on 17-10-2004 by Raphael_UO]

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:07 PM
link   

Amadeus

Thanks for the info you just got an appluad from me

Very few dig a little deeper than what there sunday school teacher told them and think the Bible was handed as is, in english, to us and dont understand that it has been handed down, rewrote, books put in and taken out, etc for several hundred years.

This is in response to Amadeus writings. He adds words to things so be careful. It's obvious he likes to discredit the Bible. You have to read the whole Bible several times over to grasp who God is. If you read the whole Bible you will find out that God has an enemy who wanted to be God. satan was thrown down from the position God gave him after he rebelled. Since then he has been deceiving the people of the earth into believing there are other gods, because he wants to be worshipped, but that was not his role for the universe. Neither is that mans role. Man is to glorify God. We are to have a relationship with the God who made us. We are to be an extension of who He is. Not a robot extension, but someone who freely loves Him and is ready and willing to get in on accomplishing God's goals. But since man is born with a dead spirit. Which means we don't want anything to do with the one and only God, who creates, gives life, sustains, provides, etc, satan can blind people to the truth.

By: J. Hampton Keathley, III , Th.M.

The great purpose of man, especially the believer in Christ, is to glorify God. �Whether, then, you eat or drink or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God� (1 Corinthians 10:31). Essential to our ability to glorify God is the knowledge of God and knowing Him personally in view of that knowledge.

The word �glory� in the Greek New Testament is doxa which means an opinion, an estimation, or reputation in which one is held. It refers to that which should accrue to God as praise, thanksgiving, obedience, reverence, and service because of who God is and what God does (past, present, and future). In other words, giving glory to God is tied in with the knowledge of God (revelation of God), and knowing God personally (response to God).

The Lord Jesus said in John 17:3, �And this is eternal life, that they may know Thee, the only true God, and Jesus Christ whom Thou hast sent.� The many names in Scripture constitute additional revelation of God�s character, His works, and His relationship to us based on His character and works. The names which God chose for Himself and which are ascribed to Him in the Word of God are additional revelations of the who and what of God that we may know and relate to God.

Note David�s declarations about God�s name and word in Psalm 138:1-2. God�s name declares much about His person, but it is God�s Word that reveals God and His name.

We know what God is like, not only by His perfections and works, but also by His names. They tell us many things about God�s care and concern for his own. This is one of the fascinating studies of Scripture. The various circumstances which bring forth each of the names of God are important.1

The Significance of
the Names of God in Scripture
In our twentieth century Western culture, personal names are little more than labels to distinguish one person from another. Sometimes nicknames are chosen which tell something about a person, but even this is a poor reflection of the significance of names in the Bible.

Unfortunately, to many the names God or Lord convey little more than designations of a supreme being. It says little to them about God�s character, His ways, and what God means to each of us as human beings. But in Scripture, the names of God are like miniature portraits and promises. In Scripture, a person�s name identified them and stood for something specific. This is especially true of God. Naming carried special significance. It was a sign of authority and power. This is evident in the fact that God revealed His names to His people rather than allowing them to choose their names for Him. This is also seen in the fact that God often changed the names of His people: Abram to Abraham, Sarai to Sarah, Jacob to Israel. Note also how this concept of authority and power is seen when Nebuchadnezzar changed the names of Daniel and his three friends.

The Name of God in General
There are a number of instances where no name of God is employed, but where simply the term �name� in reference to God is used as the point of focus:

(1) Abraham called on the name of the Lord (Gen. 12:8; 13:4).

(2) The Lord proclaimed His own name before Moses (Ex. 33:19; 34:5).

(3) Israel was warned against profaning the name of the Lord (Lev. 13:21; 22:2, 32).

(4) The name of the Lord was not to be taken in vain (Ex. 20:7; Deut. 5:11).

(5) The priests of Israel were to minister in the name of the Lord (Deut. 18:5; 21:5).

(6) The name of God is called �wonderful� in Judges 13:18.

(7) To call on the name of the Lord was to worship Him as God (Gen. 21:33; 26:25).

Consequently, from this we can conclude that such phrases as �the name of the LORD� or �the name of God� refer to God�s whole character. It was a summary statement embodying the entire person of God.2

When we turn to the New Testament we find the same. The name Jesus is used in a similar way to the name of God in the Old Testament:

(1) Salvation is through His name (John 1:12).

(2) Believers are to gather in His name (Matt. 18:20).

(3) Prayer is to be made in His name (John 14:13-14).

(4) The servant of the Lord who bears the name of Christ will be hated (Matt. 10:22).

(5) The book of Acts makes frequent mention of worship, service, and suffering in the name of Jesus Christ (Acts 4:18; 5:28, 41; 10:43; 19:17).

(6) It is at the name of Jesus that every knee will one day bow and every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is Lord (Phil. 2:10-11).

So, just as the name of God in the Old Testament spoke of the holy character of God the Father, so the name of Jesus in the New Testament speaks of the holy character of God the Son.3

Overview of the
Names of God in Scripture
(1) Elohim: The plural form of EL, meaning �strong one.� It is used of false gods, but when used of the true God, it is a plural of majesty and intimates the trinity. It is especially used of God�s sovereignty, creative work, mighty work for Israel and in relation to His sovereignty (Isa. 54:5; Jer. 32:27; Gen. 1:1; Isa. 45:18; Deut. 5:23; 8:15; Ps. 68:7).

Compounds of El:

El Shaddai: �God Almighty.� The derivation is uncertain. Some think it stresses God�s loving supply and comfort; others His power as the Almighty one standing on a mountain and who corrects and chastens (Gen. 17:1; 28:3; 35:11; Ex. 6:31; Ps. 91:1, 2).
El Elyon: �The Most High God.� Stresses God�s strength, sovereignty, and supremacy (Gen. 14:19; Ps. 9:2; Dan. 7:18, 22, 25).
El Olam: �The Everlasting God.� Emphasizes God�s unchangeableness and is connected with His inexhaustibleness (Gen. 16:13).
(2) Yahweh (YHWH): Comes from a verb which means �to exist, be.� This, plus its usage, shows that this name stresses God as the independent and self-existent God of revelation and redemption (Gen. 4:3; Ex. 6:3 (cf. 3:14); 3:12).

Compounds of Yahweh: Strictly speaking, these compounds are designations or titles which reveal additional facts about God�s character.

Yahweh Jireh (Yireh): �The Lord will provide.� Stresses God�s provision for His people (Gen. 22:14).
Yahweh Nissi: �The Lord is my Banner.� Stresses that God is our rallying point and our means of victory; the one who fights for His people (Ex. 17:15).
Yahweh Shalom: �The Lord is Peace.� Points to the Lord as the means of our peace and rest (Jud. 6:24).
Yahweh Sabbaoth: �The Lord of Hosts.� A military figure portraying the Lord as the commander of the armies of heaven (1 Sam. 1:3; 17:45).
Yahweh Maccaddeshcem: �The Lord your Sanctifier.� Portrays the Lord as our means of sanctification or as the one who sets believers apart for His purposes (Ex. 31:13).
Yahweh Ro�i: �The Lord my Shepherd.� Portrays the Lord as the Shepherd who cares for His people as a shepherd cares for the sheep of his pasture (Ps. 23:1).
Yahweh Tsidkenu: �The Lord our Righteousness.� Portrays the Lord as the means of our righteousness (Jer. 23:6).
Yahweh Shammah: �The Lord is there.� Portrays the Lord�s personal presence in the millennial kingdom (Ezek. 48:35).
Yahweh Elohim Israel: �The Lord, the God of Israel.� Identifies Yahweh as the God of Israel in contrast to the false gods of the nations (Jud. 5:3.; Isa. 17:6).
(3) Adonai: Like Elohim, this too is a plural of majesty. The singular form means �master, owner.� Stresses man�s relationship to God as his master, authority, and provider (Gen. 18:2; 40:1; 1 Sam. 1:15; Ex. 21:1-6; Josh. 5:14).

(4) Theos: Greek word translated �God.� Primary name for God used in the New Testament. Its use teaches: (1) He is the only true God (Matt. 23:9; Rom. 3:30); (2) He is unique (1 Tim. 1:17; John 17:3; Rev. 15:4; 16:27); (3) He is transcendent (Acts 17:24; Heb. 3:4; Rev. 10:6); (4) He is the Savior (John 3:16; 1 Tim. 1:1; 2:3; 4:10). This name is used of Christ as God in John 1:1, 18; 20:28; 1 John 5:20; Tit. 2:13; Rom. 9:5; Heb. 1:8; 2 Pet. 1:1.

(5) Kurios: Greek word translated �Lord.� Stresses authority and supremacy. While it can mean sir (John 4:11), owner (Luke 19:33), master (Col. 3:22), or even refer to idols (1 Cor. 8:5) or husbands (1 Pet. 3:6), it is used mostly as the equivalent of Yahweh of the Old Testament. It too is used of Jesus Christ meaning (1) Rabbi or Sir (Matt. 8:6); (2) God or Deity (John 20:28; Acts 2:36; Rom. 10:9; Phil. 2:11).

(6) Despotes: Greek word translated �Master.� Carries the idea of ownership while kurios stressed supreme authority (Luke 2:29; Acts 4:24; Rev. 6:10; 2 Pet. 2:1; Jude 4).

(7) Father: A distinctive New Testament revelation is that through faith in Christ, God becomes our personal Father. Father is used of God in the Old Testament only 15 times while it is used of God 245 times in the New Testament. As a name of God, it stresses God�s loving care, provision, discipline, and the way we are to address God in prayer (Matt. 7:11; Jam. 1:17; Heb. 12:5-11; John 15:16; 16:23; Eph. 2:18; 3:15; 1 Thess. 3:11).

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 Robert Lightner, The God of the Bible, An Introduction to the Doctrine of God (Baker Book House, Grand Rapids, 1973) page 107.

2 Ibid., p. 108.

3 Ibid., p. 109.

Copyright � 2004, Bible.org -- All rights reserved.
Printer Friendly Version | Send this page to a friend
Content Management System by Galaxie Software

You see satan says to man God isn't enough for you, He can't do everything you need him to. You have to have to have many "gods".

God, the one true God is all in all. His many names doesn't mean there are many gods. They mean He is everyhting you need wrapped up all in one God.

posted on Oct, 17 2004 @ 05:32 PM
link   
So you are saying that the Egyptian wizards got their power from the "only God"? And used it against the jews who were protected by the "only God"?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join