It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

why do christians quote the book of enoch?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I do find it funny how, people when trying to prove the existence of an intelligent creator, they tend to quote scriptures unrelated to their personal beliefs.
I'm not at an atheist. I do not count out the idea that "some koind" of intelligent being put us here, or wrote our DNA.
In fact I think it would explain a lot of things that we can't.
But none of the religions seem to do it for me. I think they all may just be talking about the same being, but they're records of this being seem incredibly inaccurate.
Maybe this is simply because they couldn't begin to comprehend the infinite wisdom of this designer.

Now there seems to be "some koind" of new age Christianity raising its head, where people seem to believe the ancient astronaut theory, yet still think it goes hand in hand with the idea of a judeo Christian god.
Which I find quite funny, since god created the heavens and the earth, he seems to ignore the rest of the universe there...

That brings me onto the book of enoch
The book of enoch is an ancient jewish scripture. Obviously this doesn't disprove YOUR god, but it doesn't actually talk about your god either. To be honest you may as well be quoting verses from the Qur'an.

Which leads me to this question. Instead of thinking your beliefs are correct, and twisting and screwing scriptures to support your views. Why not give every religion a chance? Or just believe in the GENERAL idea of "some koind" of intelligent creator?

I understand that covering all bases isn't exactly moral in "the eyes of god" and I'm not telling you what to believe, I'm just saying.
If you're right, then they must all be right. Right?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wongbeedman
I do find it funny how, people when trying to prove the existence of an intelligent creator, they tend to quote scriptures unrelated to their personal beliefs.
I'm not at an atheist. I do not count out the idea that "some koind" of intelligent being put us here, or wrote our DNA.
In fact I think it would explain a lot of things that we can't.
But none of the religions seem to do it for me. I think they all may just be talking about the same being, but they're records of this being seem incredibly inaccurate.
Maybe this is simply because they couldn't begin to comprehend the infinite wisdom of this designer.

Now there seems to be "some koind" of new age Christianity raising its head, where people seem to believe the ancient astronaut theory, yet still think it goes hand in hand with the idea of a judeo Christian god.
Which I find quite funny, since god created the heavens and the earth, he seems to ignore the rest of the universe there...

The book of enoch is an ancient jewish scripture. Obviously this doesn't disprove YOUR god, but it doesn't actually talk about your god either. To be honest you may as well be quoting verses from the Qur'an.

Which leads me to this question. Instead of thinking your beliefs are correct, and twisting and screwing scriptures to support your views. Why not give every religion a chance? Or just believe in the GENERAL idea of "some koind" of intelligent creator?

I understand that covering all bases isn't exactly moral in "the eyes of god" and I'm not telling you what to believe, I'm just saying.
If you're right, then they must all be right. Right?

Well Enoch is a Biblical figure from maybe 6 thousand years ago. That's why Christians are interested in a book that he potentially wrote. What's the Qur'an written 700 years ago have to do with the Bible? Nothing.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:47 AM
link   
reply to post by jjkenobi

But its the fact it Somehow came into the limelight when the whole ancient astronauts theory came about. In fact a lot of people think the book is a hoax.
Now if you believe in the AA theory then you think something along the lines of "humans saw aliens, humans mistook them for gods, humans praise them, humans start religions"
And this is believed to have happened all around the world on seperate occasions quite a long time ago.
So if you subscribe to the AA theory, it has everything to do with the Qur'an.
edit on 5-10-2012 by Wongbeedman because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Wongbeedman

Enoch is an important person in the bible and his book is quoted in jude

Sorry its not Jewish as the Jews are from the house of Judah and Enoch was around before the 12 tribes

So the book is worth a read but as for authoritive/inspired who knows.

Regards

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   

The book of enoch is an ancient jewish scripture. Obviously this doesn't disprove YOUR god, but it doesn't actually talk about your god either.

So the bit where Enoch met YHWH never happened where it says Chapter 14:25

And He raised me up, making me draw near even to the entrance. My eye was directed to the ground.

Why not give every religion a chance?

The source of every other religeon is from the fallen watchers. This is why everyone hates Christians.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Through the whole of my upbringing within the church which no longer applies to me now because I broke away from the indoctrination and brainwashing over thirty years ago. I can honestly say that not one person that I can ever remember ever quoted anything from the book of Enoch, but why would they when Enoch is not even a book in the bible?

Most people who go to church, or people who call themselves Christians only acknowledge the bible as the word of god and nothing outside of it.........

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Why not? It's not like the big guy has shown himself lately.
There must be about a thousand different religions out there.
And even more viewpoints in each one.
How can anyone KNOW anything about anything?
If there is a god, and he's (or she's) omnipotent, omnipresent, and omnisentient, I think he or she would understand our confusion....

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by snowspirit

Oh but he has shown himself and constantly does. I suspect people will say that why does he allow suffering?
Well he has promised that this will end. People are not interested in that though. Its too inconvenient to wait . Its not mcdonalds drive through.

Regards

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by snowspirit

Why not? It's not like the big guy has shown himself lately.
There must be about a thousand different religions out there.
And even more viewpoints in each one.
How can anyone KNOW anything about anything?
If there is a god, and he's (or she's) omnipotent, omnipresent, and omnisentient, I think he or she would understand our confusion....

No he sure hasn't, I didn't mean "not moral for anyone to cover all bases". Because that's pretty much what I do.
Just, for the actual religious people out there it seems to be one or the other. God seems to want them to think he's right and everyone else is wrong.
Lucifer and the tree of knowledge, IMO seems to hint at the idea of worlds beyond "gods" and Maybe even the idea of the existence of other gods.
Now why wouldn't god want us to know these things? Lucifer's punishment for wanting to know more surely seems abit unfair right?
I've always wondered why Christians are alright with this.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by drevill

Enoch is an important person in the bible and his book is quoted in jude

Sorry its not Jewish as the Jews are from the house of Judah and Enoch was around before the 12 tribes

So the book is worth a read but as for authoritive/inspired who knows.

Regards

I'm sorry but if you checked the link, you'll find its described as a Jewish scripture.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rapha

The book of enoch is an ancient jewish scripture. Obviously this doesn't disprove YOUR god, but it doesn't actually talk about your god either.

So the bit where Enoch met YHWH never happened where it says Chapter 14:25

And He raised me up, making me draw near even to the entrance. My eye was directed to the ground.

Why not give every religion a chance?

The source of every other religeon is from the fallen watchers. This is why everyone hates Christians.

Well since Yahweh is the Jewish god I see no reason why Enoch wouldn't claim to have met him.
I don't think everyone hates Christians, I sure don't. They just Don't seem to have the ability to comprehend other people's beliefs.
When evidence is presented that contradicts their beliefs, its simply regarded as wrong.
I don't understand this logic.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:20 AM
link   
The Book of Enoch is a gnostic book very doubtfully written by Enoch. Such a claim would require it surviving the flood at the hands of Noah. Its more like a late Templar book of wisdom given credibility because they said they found it under the Temple Mount

To answer your question, few Christians have even heard about it, let alone read it

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Hello there

Well you add a link I will add a link. You are wrong. Its like saying the Koran is English because a few folk in Coventry have it in their book cases.

Regards

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by drevill

He does not show himself. YHWH literally stood face to face, and or communicated directly, not ethereally or interpretively, back in biblical times. He flew down in his pillar of fire, or his cloud and spoke to people. That, does not happen, and hasn't happened since. Only crazy people believe god shows himself on peices of toast or steam on a mirror. Hokus pocus, delusional and imaginative, that's what's going on nowadays.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by drevill

Hello there

Well you add a link I will add a link. You are wrong. Its like saying the Koran is English because a few folk in Coventry have it in their book cases.

Regards

You forgot the link. And I think you missed my point.
I apologise for resorting to providing links to prove the point but what more can I do except read the whole bible then the supposed book of Enoch.
does jude quote the book of enoch?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by GeneralMishka

Its debated, whether or not it was even written by Enoch. Or at least the same Enoch briefly mentioned in the bible

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:52 AM
link   
IIRC, during the various "Councils' (like the council of Nicea,etc) where the modern Bible was "assembled" so to speak, there were several attempts to have the book of Enoch added to the official cannon that is the Bible. Like several other books and letters, it was left out.

And before anyone screams "CONSPIRACY"....most things "left out" of the Bible were done so not because they nessecarily contradicted something else, but generally because they were anncellery to the main narative of the Bible, which is primarily the history of the "chosen people" (Hebrews) through which the Messiah (Christ) would come to provide salvation through grace instead of through Mosaic law.

I did some reading on the 3 books of the Macabees awhile back. These books are included in some Catholic Bibles, but not protestent editions. Interesting stuff, describing a Hebrew family during the time in Israel/Judah/Palestine when there was alot of "hellenization", which was Greek influence due to Alexander the Great's conquest/annexation of the region. The Macabee family is concerned about this influence on Jewish culture and eventially become involved in armed conflict. Interesting stuff, but more political and social history, then the story of redemption, forgiveness, and grace that is the Bible's core theme.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by GeneralMishka

Hello

Its more than possible. Enoch could have been around at some point of Noah's life and Noah would def be around with Enoch's son. the knowledge if not his own written word was passed on. As was the tradition.
Regards

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Quite frankly, radical Christians would quote Barney the purple dinosaur if they agreed with a particular rant. They pick and choose what they'll believe and what they'll preach to others based on their own hatred and bigotry. Perfect point is their constant preaching on gay rights, quoting one line while ignoring the other demands made of them in that same book.

It's convenient that they have so many little things to ignore, while focusing on a specific line in a holy text they then use to bash people with.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I get what you're saying and you raise some decent questions, and not being Christian, I cannot answer for them.... but here is my question to you. How can you write a decently worded and intelligent post yet misspell "kind" not once, not twice, but three times? It's driving me nuts, how does this happen?

Just wondering, don't take offense, because I am actually quite koind.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join