It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Floating magnetic field motor with DIY instructions to build it.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:26 AM
link   
I ran across this really neat little motor; and thought I would share it here
Along with a link for plans to build it.

Makers description:

The Mendocino Motor floats in its own magnetic field; and converts light into electricity and magnetism, which are then converted into the motion of the motor.

The link for the DIY build:
makeprojects.com...
edit on 5-10-2012 by BigBrotherDarkness because: Add photo

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by BigBrotherDarkness

Thanks for making this thread.

I love gizmos and gadgets.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

It's a really cool and simple device to build; aren't ya glad I didn't call it a perpetual motion machine?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBrotherDarkness
reply to post by beezzer

It's a really cool and simple device to build; aren't ya glad I didn't call it a perpetual motion machine?

The DYI instructions sealed the deal for me!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:40 AM
link   
That's some clever engineering right there.
Very cool.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Very Cool

I won't be building one though....my attention span won't allow it!

I love the name too! Maybe the only way to enjoy watching this is with some Mendocino Madness

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:59 AM
link   
dam 5 to 6 hours ago i was talking to my wife after i was laying on the floor flicking 10c pieces so they would spin, my daughter loves it, Any way as i was laying there watching the spin i started to think about if i could somehow suspend the 10c coin with in a magnetic field that is in a "levitation state" and some how create a current with the motion of the spin and somehow though the positioning and controlling the strength of that magnetic field the spin could be controlled ether to slow down or speed up, but make it 1000x bigger and put in geosynchronous orbit of the sun 4 days ahead of earth and then send the energy it creates back to earth via a satellite type set up.

and now this post hmm

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:09 AM
link   
Looks cool..
Q: Whats their agenda with it..
What are they trying to accomplish..

Sorry, but im asking sincerly..

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Legion2024

And people freak out about super hadron colliders....ok people what we are going to launch into space...

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

I have no idea other than it's a fun science experiment. The final thing the builder says in the DIY tutorial:

The Mendocino Motor has little torque or turning power, so it’s a challenge to harness its motion for other uses. You could fashion a fan on the rotor axle to move some air. (Stick more magnets onto the stators to increase torque.) What other uses can you think of?

I don't think the creator has any intentions of claiming, that it's anything that it's not; like many others try to do and cash in on scams. Maybe it's more of an open source project? since he's saying any ideas what a virutally zero torque floating solar motor can be used for? Other and make kids and adults marvel?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:22 AM
link   

lol na think it should be all good if things went wrong the debris will be 4 days ahead of us.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2024

lol na think it should be all good if things went wrong the debris will be 4 days ahead of us.

Hmm by your description...I think of something along the lines of: Ants and magnifying glass or the Archimedes death ray...haha Of course, wouldn't it keep spinning at the set rate; if it were put into space too? Or else it would just make our lil section of space look like a disco ball.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Tbh i have no idea how it would work, not sure anyone would ether unless someone else has thought of it and crunched some numbers.

But thinking of it a little bit more i would think it would be a huge cube with the center hollowed out and the coin type disc in a levitated state in the middle never touching the sides spinning, using the magnetic strength to spin it.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Legion2024
dam 5 to 6 hours ago i was talking to my wife after i was laying on the floor flicking 10c pieces so they would spin, my daughter loves it, Any way as i was laying there watching the spin i started to think about if i could somehow suspend the 10c coin with in a magnetic field that is in a "levitation state" and some how create a current with the motion of the spin and somehow though the positioning and controlling the strength of that magnetic field the spin could be controlled ether to slow down or speed up, but make it 1000x bigger and put in geosynchronous orbit of the sun 4 days ahead of earth and then send the energy it creates back to earth via a satellite type set up.

and now this post hmm

I hear you.. Im a serious tinkerer and so is the husband. We do some weird stuff for the kids.. so we say. Mainly its cause we are BIG and OLD kids and love the gadgets.
My oldest is infected with the tinker gene... went to instructables and built a death ray with a fresnel lens I ganked off of a big screen TV I only helped a little with the tracking frame.
Im going to try to heat a cast iron griddle with it and cook something. And no, Im not joking.

We will get a wild hair at times and look for free broken stuff or cheap broken stuff on Craigslist and use the parts for some crazy idea or another. A family who makes crazy crap and tinkers together.. stays together.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:16 PM
link   
According what I perceive as the necessary use of static electricity for any type
of levitation and invisible reaction movement, the magnetic fields react as they do
in coils to make the necessary static force potentials.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by TeslaandLyne

Do you mean like a static electricity generator? Those things can generate a powerful electrical discharge...for example lightning is a static electrical discharge.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by BigBrotherDarkness

Do you mean like a static electricity generator? Those things can generate a powerful electrical discharge...for example lightning is a static electrical discharge.

Yes I'm putting a lot of thought into static generation even by moving magnets and coils.
I know we all think of the wonders of the magnetic force field as that has always been
available since childhood to think about.

Not that I'm too old for magnets but lightning bolts and gas illumination are a static electric
phenomena that might be controlled as Tesla is thought to have accomplished.
Static charge generated at high frequency and moving at the speed of light. What does
that do if anything, seems to be what a floating motor needs.

Interesting experiment.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 05:49 AM
link   

If you look at some of the other projects from the DIY link there is a static generator using water droplets, that is also interesting. I enjoy building and tinkering with things too, as a renter I don't really have the ability to go all mad scientist experimenting in a basement...hopefully some time soon. I think the folly of youth is saying there's nothing to do from having too much time, and the wisdom of age is saying too much to do, and not enough time to do it. Like JP Sartre's old; "Youth is wasted on the young" bit...

I guess the worst part of seeing things like this motor; is not being able to really discuss the mods or experiments you'd like to try with it...without giving something majorly important away, that you'd implement in other experiments and ideas too. That's what keeps me from disclosing my ideas...greed
silly thing human nature.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:11 PM
link   

That motor is interesting and I see there is the common stator winding.
The lamp shining on it must power the solar cells for the windings.
There must be some slip rings somewhere,
The mirror at the side looks like it supplies a ramp for the motor to climb.
Holding a bar magnet helps the rotation and movement upward.
Otherwise I didn't see the floatation mechanism unless the static generation
actually was a part of the movement.

posted on Oct, 7 2012 @ 09:00 PM
link   

The floating is from the repelling forces of the magnets, the lower magnets are pushing on the "floating" magnets, the weight of the floating magnets/rotor keep it in place on the field...the rotor is not light enough to fly out of the field and not heavy enough over power the force of repulsion.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join