It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Did he just say "sinking 200 ft in the last 30 days"?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I have been watching this guys you tube 2 min news for about the last month. Thanks for the link from an ATS member who I cant remember who linked it.

I find that he puts the weather together quite nicely.

And this morning I heard him say at 1.05 mark in the video, that the coast land is sinking at a alarming rate!

200 ft in the last 30 days? Oh my.

What do you think this means?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   
reply to post by lightmere

It means "RUN TO THE HILLS" for real this time........

But since it isn't another thread about Obama or Romney and the stupid debate that means nothing, I will at least look into it some.....

edit on 10/5/2012 by Chrisfishenstein because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Chrisfishenstein

Thank you. As I do not have the skills to understand these satellite, and maps.

I just know it does not sound good. good to me.

I will wait for an expert before I start running for the hills..

I also have no idea if the guy is reputable or not.

I Ireally like the way he lays it all out, even if i don't understand most of it

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:14 AM
link   
It seems he meant eroding, not sinking. Flooding has eroded the shoreline of the river - alaskapublic.org. Looks pretty serious though. BTW - interesting youtube channel, may have to start watching it.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I believe this is refering to this village in Alaska imaginedmag.com...

Due to the permafrost thawing the land is subsiding. It is alarming, but an ongoing process. I too enjoyed that youtube channel.

edit on 5-10-2012 by Iamschist because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Forty feet in a few hours

Blimey I'd be out of there

female doing bugger all apparently. Good luck to the folks there.

I listen to the channel everyday its good

Regards

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   
reply to post by fenceSitter

Yes it does seem serious.
Thanks for the research.
I am glad you liked the link.

I watch it every morning

reply to post by Iamschist

Very glad you liked it also.
Thanks for the link.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:51 AM
link   
Here is a little more information on this "event".

C4I

The village of Akiak is under siege. Due to extreme erosion, the City and Native Community have declared a state of disaster. Officials say the shoreline of the Kuskokwim River has eroded nearly 200 feet in just one month’s time. The people of Akiak are losing land and memories at an alarming rate. The shoreline of Akiak is jagged. Clumps of earth the size of pickup trucks are sinking into the river. Treetops not yet relieved of their leaves, can be seen creeping up from the water. Here the erosion has come quickly and steadily, taking foot after foot of the village with it. “We can’t even go up there anymore,”Olga Charles said, standing on the shore as rain pours down over her face. “This is something else.” There is a huge semi circle of freshly eroded earth in front of her. She’s looking off into the trees, where a dirt road full of memories once stood. Erosion has been a constant threat for decades here in Akiak, a village of just over 300 about 30-river miles above Bethel. But it’s never happened this quickly or this violently before. Fall’s usually low water has been replaced with screaming wind and high, furious tides.

What's odd is that even the locals are baffled. This is not normal for this area, neither is their weather.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:28 AM
link   
I live in central valley california and we go to the coast all the time and i have seen no evidence of this on my coast. Of course i dont take a yardstick with me when i go. I am not sure what to make of this.

Its alaska for some reason i just noticed. That would make sense that i dont see it locally.

thanks op
edit on 5-10-2012 by eazyriderl_l because: just cashed my check so i could pay attention

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I try to post SuspiciousObservers YT videos whenever something blows my mind such as todays 2min News very quick concise and too the point. Always has links and info to back up what he is showing worth a watch to anyone who wants a quick recap of the goings on in this crazy world.

As for the amount of land lost, real strange, with all the volcanic, and earthquake activity, plus the extreme ice melt this year coupled with just strange weather in Alaska in general , seems like it par for the course to keep having oddities occure up there.

SaneThinking

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:42 AM
link   

And this morning I heard him say at 1.05 mark in the video, that the coast land is sinking at a alarming rate!

200 feet of riverbank erosion is not the same as sinking and Akiak is not on the coast.

edit on 10/5/2012 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:28 PM
link   
while it may not be a coastal town if you look at the map and where it's located..... the rate of the river bank destruction should be very alarming. combine the quakes and weather change and they may be looking at losing a large chunk of the state in the next few years.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by pasiphae
while it may not be a coastal town if you look at the map and where it's located..... the rate of the river bank destruction should be very alarming. combine the quakes and weather change and they may be looking at losing a large chunk of the state in the next few years.

Thats okay.. when we hit a solar minimum and the weather slingshots into an ice age, theyll get their riverbank back.
Wait.. thats not funny.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Hi Phage nice to meet you.

I was just repeating what I heard in the video. And that's why I brought it to the attention of ATS.

He said
"not really a landslide,the coast line is sinking into the water at a alarming rates..steadily 200 ft in the last month alone..."

Out of curiosity Phage what do you think of Suspicious0bservers Youtube channel, and his 2 or 3 min news daily?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:12 PM
link   
reply to post by lightmere

I was just repeating what I heard in the video.

I know.

what do you think of Suspicious0bservers Youtube channel

Never saw it before but I don't pay much attention to any youtube channels. Not sure what his point is. Things happen.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 02:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

If anything the guy just gives you an overview of the past days and what has happend as he wakes up in the weather not really trying to do anything but inform people of the worlds happenings. As said above provides links so anyone with the time can look up all he talks about. A great resource if you happen to like a quick overview of world events.

SaneThinking

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:39 PM
link   
Things happen.....how very perceptive....and a star for you

This is going to get dicey all over the" above sixty s" as the permafrost is subsiding most every where some...and i imagine riverbanks are in for some very serious erosion everywhere up there......
Russia may turn into a quagmire of swamps and we may loose a good chunk of our northern constructions if the rate of thaw in the permafrost continues.......Imagine towns built at the BOTTOM of a hill! Many could be buried slowly by the cascading muck......
I remember how we nearly lost a whole machine to the thawing permafrost when we exposed a fire guard swath of the surface and for some reason left one skidder parked where wed cleared ......
In three days it was down to the floorboards and sinking fast.....if wed have stayed in town another day...wed still be digging it out....!
Lots of places i could shove my power saw straight down into the soil and cut in two lines, with somebody rolling up the rootmass in between we made fast fire guards....that is to say, there two feet of redish peet and roots, before you hit clay that goes down forever in some spots....as the north warms itll get a lot muckier.....many people will lose homes and roads will be a summer nighmare of potholes.Even bridges may be in some peril if they are small ones....

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 06:13 AM
link   
It does seem quite serious, I am surprised that there is not more concern about this.
I should have put this in the political form

Things happen! Ya ok.

Ive never understood why people build so close to the water in the first place.

I will be keeping my eyes on this one.

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 07:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by lightmere
I have been watching this guys you tube 2 min news for about the last month. Thanks for the link from an ATS member who I cant remember who linked it.

I find that he puts the weather together quite nicely.

What do you think this means?

here ya go

interesting channel
subscribed!

posted on Oct, 6 2012 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by GezinhoKiko

Glad you liked the channel!
I'm subscribed to it!

new topics

top topics