It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romney on 47% comments: I was 'completely wrong'

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

People are sick of that and the arrogance of these talking heads who preach on tv but get nothing done.

No they aren't. If they were tired of it, they would stop voting for them wouldn't they? you wouldn't have cheerleaders for either side here would you? No, the truth is people are stupid. They are just as partisan as the people they proclaim to hate. Just as an example, I saw this lady with an Obama magnet on her car. Did you know this guy saw it, went into the lane she was in and tailgated her while screaming obscenities? I saw this all take place on my way to Kroger. What the hell? Voting for Obama warrants that kind of response? I live in a solidly red state, so I have yet to see that happen to a Romney supporter, but I'm sure someone has somewhere else. People blame the government for everything, well the truth is these people are absolutely ungovernable. Half of the country wants one thing, the other half wants another and they both tell each other they are the "enemy" everyday. If you dare to compromise you will be called a RINO or a DINO. Let em rot, I don't care anymore.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
He wasn't "completely wrong", he completely got CAUGHT! He's a smart man and KNEW what he was saying to his wealthy compatriots, but it was his line for his audience. He had the number exactly right. 47%. He can't come back now and say he made a boo-boo. He knew JUST what he was doing. And Obama's right. Romney is a fraud!
Everything you mentioned is applicable to Obama too. Its just that nobody has placed hidden videos around the POTUS as what his views and opinions truely are as he is constantly surrounded by secret service. The only thing I agree with your comments is that 'but it was his line for his audience'. This was politics/sales pitch/motivating/inspiration/encouragement for his team to support his cause (running for presidency). Something a good leader politician will/have to learn to use if necessary to keep both sides in the game. Especially the senate. According to Romney and others, Obama is fraud. Where do you draw the line as it is a common practice to portray the opposition in a negative way in pretty much every election(s) not just in US but worldwide

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

Half of the country wants one thing, the other half wants another

I respect your opinion but have to respectfully disagree.
The American public has such diverse opinions and has such a diverse population that I don't really believe you are split down the middle that much.

How can so many people be split down the middle that much?
To me it makes no sense.

From working class families to poor people to gangbangers that might vote....I don't see the 50 50...the population is too diverse to be 50 50.

Look at all the issues....there is no way its 50 50....its impossible.

All these different social classes don't think the same way.
edit on 5-10-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:24 AM
link   

From working class families to poor people to gangbangers that might vote....I don't see the 50 50...the population is too diverse to be 50 50.

Look at all the issues....there is no way its 50 50....its impossible.

All these different social classes don't think the same way.
edit on 5-10-2012 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

Certainly they don't, but they can be persuaded too vote for someone who might not share their interests and it happens every election. Look at how many people here seem to believe the Rich share their interests. As I said before, people are stupid. Saying 50, 50 might have been a bit much, but we only have two major parties so I tend to look at it as 50,50.

My game plan is pretty clear to me at this point-Save money in case I need to move out of this country or find a patch of land in the middle of nowhere. Nothing is going to get better anytime soon. We've got a stupid public who pulls for stupid politicians. We are screwed.
edit on 5-10-2012 by antonia because: opps

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by antonia

We've got a stupid public who pulls for stupid politicians. We are screwed.

YUP!!!
As a Canadian...we are in the same boat.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   

I know the Repubs are happy that their man won the debate and the Dems are sore that Obama did so poorly.

Let's face it though. These guys agreed on too many things in a debate that is supposed to highlight the difference of political philosophies of the two candidates.

Beyond that, why does it not bother people the guy backtracked on the positions that won him the Republican Primaries? I am not voting for either of them, but if I had supported the hard right Romney during the primaries, I would be somewhat upset that the "etch a sketch" comment of his campaign worker is actually true.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Now we understand the people in attendance at that dinner were certainly not in the 47%, they paid around 50,000 dollars a table to hear Mitt at his best, telling it like it is and telling what he really does believe , then turns around in a debate saying he cares about the middle class, all lies but some people believe everything he says, you think things are bad now ?

In this instance Mitt Romney did actually mean what he said he should have stuck to his story instead of once again proving himself dishonest.

If Romney wins the president was right, every time fiscal policy is implemented like Romney/Ryan is proposing, we end up much worse off and assuredly the middle class will be completely gutted, while large companies like GE and others who have managed to use every tax loophole, pay zero taxes.

People will be looking for another Obama or Clinton come four years if this pathetic multimillionaire liar makes it into office.
edit on 5-10-2012 by phinubian because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65

Beyond that, why does it not bother people the guy backtracked on the positions that won him the Republican Primaries? .

They invested a lot of time in defending those comments too around here. I've learned something though-When it comes to a partisan it doesn't matter what is said, all that matters is if there is a D or R attached to it.

Originally posted by phinubian
If Romney wins the president was right, every time fiscal policy is implemented like Romney/Ryan is proposing, we end up much worse off and assuredly the middle class will be completely gutted, while large companies like GE and other who have managed to use every loophole, pay zero taxes.

The middle class is screwed no matter who is in office at this point. As for if Romney actually believed what he said at that fundraiser-I doubt it. This is the guy who originally started out as a Democrat and became a republican because he couldn't win in the Democratic primaries. He is simply telling these donors what they want to hear.
edit on 5-10-2012 by antonia because: added a thought

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Read Obama's comments in context on the previous page. He was talking to his team, trying to get them to reach out to the gun and religion-clingers.
Unlike Romney, who was just vilifying and dismissing the 47% (half of whom were his own supporters)...

edit on 10/5/2012 by Benevolent Heretic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:11 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

We've got a stupid public who pulls for stupid politicians. We are screwed.

A vote for Obama or Romney isn't a vote...its a farce....and yes...you are screwed either way.
Any person who believes their vote is real or matters is dilusional.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

Any person who believes their vote is real or matters is dilusional.

Thanks for the blanket insult. I really didn't expect that.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Yes, yes, yes more down with the rich rhetoric!

Who creates what we call jobs? People with money or people on the dole?

It's a fair question is it not?

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
He was talking to his team, trying to get them to reach out to the gun and religion-clingers.

Oh man .. you really get that out of what Obama said? Seriously .. the dude was dis'n the people on the right who are gun owners and who are religious. It wouldn't be the first time ... remember when the told a hispanic audience that Republican Americans were 'the enemy'? They guy definately wasn't 'reaching out' ..... he was MOCKING. It's his right to do so and he could have a point in his mocking .. but sugar coating his poop is doesn't change that it's still poop ...

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by loam
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Let's not forget. Obama had his own 47% remark.

Sorry, but that was not the same, and I think MANY agreed with him on that. You just need to look around America and public opinions on various subjects to see that it's pretty much accurate.

What Romney said immediately made 47% of the American public insignificant. He basically said that half the country is "beneath him" and that he couldn't give a damn about poor people, the rich people in front of him are his priority.

That is nowhere near the same as Obama pointing out that a lot of small town people love their guns and God.

On the OP, I think it's completely amazing that this man is still running for President. In any other country he would have been out of the race with that video, but in America he just needs to smile, say "look over there, shiny!" and everyone starts chanting "USA! USA!"

Perception of America all around the world is already pretty low in my estimation, the fact that this guy is still in the running after saying he doesn't give a damn about half the freakin' country makes the rest of the planet point at the American people and laugh their asses off!

Seriously guys, what the hell is wrong with you people?

And no, I know that there are a lot of intelligent Americans, and there are a lot of them here on ATS too. But how the hell is this man still running? I'm completely stunned by it and can only assume that the entire population of the USA have ADHD or have been brainwashed in some way!

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by 3litechasr
Yes, yes, yes more down with the rich rhetoric!

Who creates what we call jobs? People with money or people on the dole?

It's a fair question is it not?

Who takes those jobs overseas to be able to pay a person $1 a day and make billions in profits from it?
Who takes their profits straight out of the country to an account in the Camen islands and avoids paying tax?
Who lobbies government to remove the rights of the workforce and permit extreme abuses of both their own staff and the nation as a whole?

People start companies and create jobs. Small businesses in the USA hire more staff than the corporations, yet the corporations are the ones permitted to lobby government, avoid tax, move jobs overseas, and they're given tax breaks too!

No one is denying that we need people to create jobs, but more jobs can be created by small businesses across the country than by the corporations.

Jobs are not only created by a corporation dodging tax and getting ready to ship out their business to what is nothing more than slave labor in another country like China.

If Walmart shut down tomorrow, what do you think would happen?
Hundreds of thousands of smaller competitors would open everywhere, hiring more people than Walmart ever did. Those smaller companies would not be funneling their profits out of the country to avoid tax, and those smaller companies would not be "bribing" politicians and lobbying government to get their way either.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:26 AM
link   
He admits to being wrong in the way he made the statements.
Not in what he said. I can't help but think he really believes his statements to be true.
This is kind of like a thief admitting to getting caught but will not admit that stealing is wrong.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Please tell us all how exactly corporations don't pay taxes? Read some financials and you will find they pay taxes and at a high rate.

Small businesses are unwilling to tolerate much more risk in this economy.

The Clinton adminstration brought in NAFTA, which paved the way for off-shoring.I don't like it but how is this exactly a "Republican" problem.

Having an off-shore account isn't illegal, as long as its purpose isn't to avoid taxes. I'm pretty sure Romney hasn't been indicted for tax fraud by the IRS.

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:38 AM
link   

The Clinton adminstration brought in NAFTA, which paved the way for off-shoring.I don't like it but how is this exactly a "Republican" problem.

Just stop it with the NAFTA is Clinton's baby nonsense. Here are the facts:

Following diplomatic negotiations dating back to 1986 among the three nations, the leaders met in San Antonio, Texas, on December 17, 1992, to sign NAFTA. U.S. President George H. W. Bush, Canadian Prime Minister Brian Mulroney and Mexican President Carlos Salinas, each responsible for spearheading and promoting the agreement, ceremonially signed it.

en.wikipedia.org...

NAFTA was conceived under Reagan and signed under G.H.W. Bush.

ETA: Furthermore, it was a Republican led House and Senate that passed the bill.

The agreement's supporters included 132 Republicans and 102 Democrats. NAFTA passed the Senate 61-38. Senate supporters were 34 Republicans and 27 Democrats.

edit on 5-10-2012 by LeatherNLace because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I thought it appropriate to ease the political tensions a little and share this hilarious video. I know some of you will have seen this already, but it incredibly funny, and it's a pretty good example of how MOST sane people view Mitt Romney...

posted on Oct, 5 2012 @ 11:40 AM
link   
reply to post by 3litechasr

Please tell us all how exactly corporations don't pay taxes?

www.cbpp.org...

A GAO study found that in every year from 1998 to 2005, approximately 55 percent of large corporations paid no corporate income tax. ** But just 2.7 percent of large corporations reported no net tax liability in all eight of those eight years.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join